words for wednesday.

by Janetha on June 13, 2012

in deep thoughts

i saw prometheus the other night. it’s not really my type of movie. i mean, it was okay.. but i didn’t love it. not like marshall loved it. he’s so into that sort of thing.

i will say this, though.. i took something BIG away from the beginning of that movie.

a quote.

a simple sentence that i have been repeating over and over to myself—probably hundreds of times since last saturday. i never want to forget this quote.

it is something i need to constantly tell myself and remind myself of–especially during the tough times when i am trying to improve in some aspect of my life. basically any aspect.

this quote applies to many, many things for me.

trick

for some reason, that really stuck with me. big time. i had to share.

also.. if you are looking for a few more words that are REALLY good, please read this post.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Wow thanks for linking to that GPP post.

Alex @ therunwithin June 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Thank you for sharing that article, I really loved it.

Kailey June 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I really love that quote – yes, life is hard sometimes & people let you down, but all this pain shouldn’t keep us from living life. Some of the best lessons are learned during the hardest times :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Man, you guys go to the movies a lot. Well, a lot compared to me (since I never go) and it makes me want to go more! I don’t know why we never do… we just don’t.
Greg wants to see that movie. It’s totally his thing, and not really mine. I’m dying to see Snow White. And Jeff Who Lives At Home when it comes out. Oh, and my friend wants me to see Magic Mike with her because, well.. you know. :)
Great quote though- I’ll have to think about that one…

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

We go about once a week! That is a lot for me, I never went until I started dating M.

Marie June 13, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Great quote! It reminds me of the saying that we can’t control others, but we can change how we react to them. My uncle got me this great book that focuses on not taking offense and it has really opened my eyes to things and allows me to see things differently and in a positive light.

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

That’s a great saying! I love it!

Amanda June 13, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Awww, thanks for that awesome quote (I’m def going to see Prometheus, even if I have to cover my eyeballs during all the bloody and scary parts) AND for the “musings” from GPP. So important for all of us (especially us gals) to remember this!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail June 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Yes. Embrace it! In all walks of like.

Love the GPP. This is where you do your bootcamps isn’t it??

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

No.. the bootcamp is virtual/online and workouts are done at home. But I primarily work out at GPP–it’s a workout-of-the-day type of gym. Not crossfit, but the same idea. Just different types of workouts from crossfit :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

That quote is super awesome! Definitely something I need to remember more often… ;)

Neil June 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Several years ago I was lucky enough to conduct a 4 day bootcamp of three-a-day workouts and perfect eating with a group that we sequestered in a beautiful cabin. It was miles from anywhere. FRICKIN rough. And AMAZING and WONDERFUL. Changed my life. The mantra of that camp became “EMBRACE THE SUCK.” And it stuck with me ever since. I think this almost every day.

I know it seems fatalistic and negative, but it’s not to me. I find it very positive and reassuring.

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

I like that! I am definitely all about embracing the suck at times. You gotta!

Erica June 13, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Good stuff

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 13, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Great quote. great article by Neil. Thanks.

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:35 am

It was actually written by Meg–one of the gal trainers at GPP. She’s awesome!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 14, 2012 at 10:36 am

Oh right, I missed that. Awesome.

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food June 14, 2012 at 12:24 am

Awesome quote. Gotta embrace it

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running June 14, 2012 at 1:54 am

So true! I find if I imagine how I will feel after doing something that takes alot of effort and dedication i.e. half marathon, it truly sees me to the finish line. Great post.

Ellen Clifford June 14, 2012 at 2:41 am

Oh that is great. This makes me think of something i just heard. I don’t know if you listen to the Moth podcast but this week there was a story with a therapist sayin the most useful thing she said to a patient once was “that sucks”…I guess sometimes acceptance is half the battle?

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:35 am

Yes–definitely! Sometimes life sucks. So you gotta suck it up and deal!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 14, 2012 at 4:39 am

I really really love that quote!!! Sometimes it is hard to keep going when things get tough…but it’s when you push through that you realise how strong and capable you really are :)

Jess June 14, 2012 at 6:09 am

Wow. LOVE this.

Calee June 14, 2012 at 6:09 am

Thanks for sharing that quote! That must have happened during one of my many pee breaks because I don’t remember what part that was.

I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed that movie. Sci fi usually makes me fall asleep! I think Mark has brainwashed me.

Thanks for sharing that article too!

Jessica, the_toned_teach June 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

I LOVE that quote. It is so true. I like to think about positive changes in my life as being silver going through a fire. The process of refining silver- or removing imperfections and flaws- involves a blacksmith holding the piece of silver in a flaming & burning hot fire. Sometimes, the flaw is removed rather quickly, so the blacksmith removes the silver, shines it, and moves on. However, sometimes (most of the times in my life) the imperfections are deeply rooted in the silver & it is held over the fire for… well… a long time. Sometimes longer than the silver would like. But, when the blacksmith sees the flaw is gone, he safely removes the silver, shines it, and displays it as a work of art. All that to say, when I am going through a fire, I try to remember it is a refining process- a painful process that involves hot flames and exhausted days, but one that will leave me better than before :)

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:35 am

Oh, wow, that is a great analogy. Thank you for sharing!

ali June 14, 2012 at 8:28 am

LOVE this quote Janetha! I need to remember it too!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 14, 2012 at 8:46 am

LOVE. such a good reminder :)

Tamara June 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Really good article, thank you!

I liked the movie, although not as much as my husband, either (nor as much as I liked Snow White & the Huntsman or The Avengers).

Janetha June 14, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh I loved Snow White!!

Christin June 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

I saw Prometheus the other night too, and I totally agree! It’s funny because the quote box came up on my google reader before I opened your post and I was like, wait I know that quote from somewhere…lol it is a great one! :)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed June 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

not meant the same way, but I say something similar to myself when I get tattooed.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

What a wonderful quote! Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

Kait @ yogabeautylife June 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I LOVE this post…and the quote. It was so different from regular m&m posts and so…powerful. Thanks for sharing love. <3

Lisa June 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for sharing that article! Really great. That is also an excellent quote!!

pd June 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm

“Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional”

Annette@FitnessPerks June 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Great quote!! I actually want to see the movie… ;)

Bridget @ Type A Frame Personality June 15, 2012 at 11:15 am

I just saw this movie last night and after reading your post I was pumped. After the movie my brother and husband go “yeah that was sweet. What was that quote from the beginning…I loved it” and I was like ahhhhhh I know it I just read it on one of my blogs today! It is a good one though.

Megan @ Fiterature June 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm