rad or ridiculous? round two.

by Janetha on June 11, 2012

in humor

hello! how was your monday?

mine was busy. i had eight hours of the day job, a meeting with fitmixer, a GPP workout, and a delicious le creuset dutch oven dinner (recipe here.)

NewImage NewImageNewImage

how’s that for a speedy recap of the day? ha! i suppose i will elaborate on a move and a meal…

move: i had my first lesson in kipping pull-ups at GPP today. the workout called for 75 pull-ups, but i did mine jumping-style. i want to do kips. i WILL do them. eventually. i can already tell these things are going to take me a minute to get the hang of. and by a minute, i mean a year. hopefully less, though.

meal: let’s talk about dinner. braised french onion chicken with gruyere. OH MY WORD. it was so good. marshall and i just finished up dinner and he said this one is “one for the restaurant”–which means it’s a keeper. one day we will have a restaurant.. one day.. maybe the day after i learn my kipping pull-ups. ha.

but really, this recipe is legit. the only changes i made were that i used unrefined coconut oil instead of butter, used chicken breasts instead of thighs, and reduced some of the amounts since we are only two people. for the reductions: i used two pounds of chicken and two large onions. oh and i actually doubled the amount of thyme, garlic, balsamic, and mustard because i love those things!! anyway, the recipe is a keeper.

before i tackle today’s topic, i wanted to share that i created a 2012 summer bucket list page so i can keep track of my progress!

bucket

i also created a little widget in my side bar that takes you straight to the page.  if you have a bucket list of your own, share the link there! or if you don’t have a blog, simply type your list in the comments! use the page to tell me all how your summer bucket list is going and clue me in on your latest and greatest adventures. i would love to hear them all! i also took a cue from calee and created a button to grab. thanks for the idea, lady.

okay, onto rad or ridiculous!

remember when i was on a trip and i took lots of pictures from skymall and then you voted if the items were rad (as in useful and you would totally buy said item) or ridiculous (as in you cannot fathom why anyone would buy said item)? yeah, that was fun. let’s do it again!

photo 001

$247.99 electronic pillbox.

photo 002

portable sauna.

photo 010

redneck wine glass.

photo 011

food pillows including cupcake, ice cream sandwich, pizza, and sushi.

photo 012

armadillo beverage holder.

photo 003

never bend over again” drink caddy.

photo 005

headache relieving wrap.

photo 006

the “always cool” pillow.

photo 007

portable inflatable movie screen.

photo 008

giraffe tea kettle.

photo 009

shark & raptor bite hoodies.

that was fun! hope you enjoyed playing. be back tomorrow for more mindless mayhem.

1. have you ever purchased something from skymall or an infomercial?

2. what is the most ridiculous item you’ve seen available for purchase (anywhere)?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I know someone who has that shark sweatshirt! My coworkers went crazy when they saw it. I couldn’t help but laugh.

And my bucket list is going up TOMORROW! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I have a half written post from one of those sky mall type magazines but it’s from a bullet Train in Japan- you can imagine the gems in there! I’ll post that right after you open your restaurant.

Jennie (the gf-gf) June 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Oh, Sky Mall. It never fails to make me laugh. And am I the only one who thinks the portable sauna looks like a toaster oven but for humans?

Sana June 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Who buys this stuff???????????????

Carly June 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I love polls. Also, I love that giraffe kettle. So cute.

On my 101 things in 1001 days list, I have a few things that require me doing something every day for a week or a month. Recently, I checked off meditating every day for a week. I couldn’t wait til that week was over….which I’m sure says a lot about how effective my meditation was.

Amy June 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm

most of those are pretty ridiculous haha…except of course, the always cool pillow..that sounds awesome!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Omg skymall is my favorite! I’ll take 50 redneck wine goblets please :)

Lauren June 12, 2012 at 4:37 am

Hahaha the redneck wine glass is a riot!

Angela June 12, 2012 at 5:16 am

The inflatable movie screen is pretty awesome!

Sara June 12, 2012 at 5:26 am

haha! I love this post. My personal fav was the redneck wine glass. So stinkin’ funny.

Brittney @ Brittney Breathing June 12, 2012 at 6:07 am

Ha! My fiance and I always are putting really good recipes on our “future restaurant list.” I would loooove to have one someday…maybe we can go in on one together :)

Coco June 12, 2012 at 6:49 am

I OWN THAT TEAKETTLE!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 12, 2012 at 6:56 am

All of these things seem ridiculous to me, except for the headache wrap! That is GENIUS. I get really, really bad migraines, and about a year ago I started getting tension headaches as well (which then become migraines). The only relief I get is by pushing into my temples. I get my husband to shove his fingers into my temples, but it freaks him out when I ask him to stick his elbow in the side of my head. It really does help, so I’d be curious to try this wrap. Don’t know if I’d spend $50 on it though!

Alexandria June 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

That teakettle is adorable. I’d love to be the person who writes descriptions for these crazy things!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

I love travelling on international flights just to browse the skymall…it keeps me entertained. That armadillo beverage holder actually has me a bit freaked out though…definitely ridiculous in my books!

Mattie @ comfy & confident June 12, 2012 at 7:04 am

This is so fun!! Love the polls! :)

Barb June 12, 2012 at 7:22 am

Definitely bought my husband the raptor sweatshirt. He loves it. Kills me.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 12, 2012 at 7:39 am

I love the redneck wine glass! Pretty sure I grew up drinking out of mason jars… true story. :)

I’m so jealous you get to hang out with the fitmixer crew. I loved them at Blend!!

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable June 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

My husband and I like to flip through skymall and decide what the people in the photos are actually saying or thinking. For example, we decided on our last trip that the woman in the portable sauna was saying “I’m secretly pooping in here.” I have to admit some of the stuff looks pretty cool though…I have always wanted to buy one of those high tech litter boxes lol

Sierra June 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

Kipping Pull Ups…I was in the same position. When I started CrossFit, that was one of my major goals (actually a strict pull-up is even more baller). I have been doing CrossFit for 8 weeks and today I did 5 kipping pull ups. I half heartedly tried one last week and I did it. Today we had to do 5 pull ups in the warm up and I actually was able to do them. I was in shock. You are tiny and majorly strong, so you have an advantage…I am sure you will have them in a few weeks if you continue going to CrossFit/GPP.

janetha @ meals & moves June 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

I wish it was just about strength.. it’s all about rhythm and coordination–two things that I lack! I am so not smooth. I have a hard time moving my whole body at the same time. If I am focusing on my arms I can’t think about my core or my legs, and vice versa. I have been going to GPP for two months.. but I think maybe after awhile longer I will get them! xo

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

I love that giraffe kettle!
I’m actually going to go google that and see if I can find one!

Katy Brooks June 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

pull ups will be the death of me! i can’t do a full one to save my life. if i ever feel super fit, i’ll go try a pull up and then bring myself back down to reality. and that recipe looks pretty freakin amazing…thank you for that!

Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run June 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

Okay, funny story…my MOM bought my husband and I two redneck wine glasses. I have the large and the small (his and hers)…and they crack me up EVERY time I see them.

Paige @ Running Around Normal June 12, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hey fun! I created my own summer bucket list a couple weeks ago :) Mainly non-fitness related stuff, too.
75 pullups?! Oh man – pull ups are definitely something I need to work on.

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs June 12, 2012 at 9:33 am

Well if you got the redneck wine glass you would HAVE to get the armadillo cup holder…

Nicole C June 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

My thoughts on those items: Pill box is handy for old generations. I cannot tell you how many times my grandma mixed up her pills even though I made her a chart. The giraffe kettle would be cool if you didn’t pour it thru the ass.

I’ve never purchased skymall “stuff” but my friend used something similar on the way back from London because she didn’t have a souvenir for every single family memeber. I got one of those bagel cutters on the as see on tv guide when my grandma heard me say it was cool. Merry x-mas nicole.

Annette@FitnessPerks June 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ahhhh that inflatable move screen rocks!! Love it.

Grueyere is always in my fridge. Always. My mom is Swiss and my dad buys it in 50 lb blocks (not kidding) and gives some to all his kids. Rad for sure!! :)

Alison June 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm

That headache wrap actually looks pretty amazing. I get terrible migraines and having the right pressure, and heat, where I want and need it would be fantastic. I use hot clothes right now, but they get cold pretty fast, and I have to hold them on, with pressure. I think I might actually buy that thing. Well, maybe I’ll research it first. ;)

I love when you have these polls- so much fun!

Neil June 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I never dare to buy anything from sky mall. I fear it. Maybe it’s an associative thing to do with my fear of flying. I should explore that.

Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen for sale – 4′ long bone from a bull’s penis made into a walking stick.

Alex @ therunwithin June 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

So a family friend actually made and sent me a redneck wine class. No joke.

Ali June 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Those pull-ups look SO HARD! I’m sure you’ll get them in no time though! Laughing at some of those products!! Great post as usual :)

BroccoliHut June 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This was such a fun post! I’ve actually seen the redneck wine glasses in several gift/home decor stores in Alabama. Not sure what that says about my home state…
Seth LOVES looking through Skymall and always insists that we read each and every page TOGETHER. Anyway, as a result I’ve seen some crazy stuff. One of my favorites? A potty for dogs. I wish!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

hahaha yup on the plane home from DC i was browsing through the catalog and saw that blow up movie theater screen which is super cheesy but kinda cool! the portable sauna? wierd! but the food pillows? awesome!

Pure2raw twins June 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm

haha I love looking through SkyMall I mean who really buys this stuff??

Lea June 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Those mason jar wine glasses are the most ridiculous things ever. They are a mason jar with a candle stick glued to the bottom, you could make your own for under $2. The other day I saw a red solo cup version of one. Ridiculous.
Though I can’t say much because I have drunk wine from a mason jar before. Mason jars, the poor college student’s wine glass. But there wasn’t a candle stick glued to the bottom.

natalie@thesweetslife June 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

ahh that chicken sounds incredible! I have to try it soon!

meggi June 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

ha! My cousin actually gave me 4 of those redneck wine glasses a few weeks ago. I actually adore them for drinking green juice out of :)