highlights in the hood: part two.

by Janetha on June 10, 2012

in day job,eating out,moves,travel

hey! time to recap the second half of my trip to hood river, oregon.  i was there on thursday, friday, and saturday with my co-workers. you can read the first half here.

i left off on friday morning. after breakfast, crystal, sim, and i went back to the hotel and relaxed for awhile. we wanted to get massages. i made a few calls and  found a spa that could get all three of us in at the same time.  this was actually really hard to do–hood river is a small town and most spas had only one massage therapist!  we booked our appointments at the columbia gorge hotel spa–the largest spa in town.

our appointments weren’t until 2:15, so i decided to take advantage of my free time and get a workout in.  i headed to the hotel gym, planning to do friday’s GPP workout.  the workout required a 15# dumbbell, and there were zero free weights at the hotel gym. bummer!  the gym was actually quite a letdown with a bike, an elliptical, a treadmill, and a cable weight machine. what can ya do?

NewImagePhoto 1

i improvised and was able to adapt the workout using the equipment i had.  here’s what i did:

• 1 minute sprint (9 mph)
  • 15 OH dumbbell press at 40#
  • 15 plank snatch L with cable set to 20#
  • 20 T2T crunches
  • 15 plank snatch R with cable set to 20#
  • rest 30 seconds
  • 5 rounds total

that workout didn’t take long, and to be honest i don’t think my adapted version was a very good one.. i didn’t feel the burn like i do when i go to GPP. but something is better than nothing, right? right.

i followed up the core workout with some cardio in the form of a fitmixer bootcamp workout–zero to thirty. there wasn’t much room in the hotel gym, so i took it out on the pool patio in this little random room. nobody was swimming, so i had the area all to myself–complete with a beautiful view!

NewImageNewImage

i did ten rounds of the following:

• burpees (30 seconds)
  • squat punches (30 seconds)
  • butt kicks (30 seconds)
  • 123 heisman (30 seconds)
  • block shots (30 seconds)
  • soldier kicks (30 seconds)

the first three rounds were at warm-up pace, the next four gradually got more and more intense, and the final three rounds were all-out effort.  it turned out to be a really stellar sweat session!

i headed back to my room, cleaned up, and headed to town with crystal and sim. it was about noon, so we had two hours to browse the cute shops of hood river.

IMG 4267IMG 4269

i bought a few knick knacks for myself and for marshall. i also snagged a pair of the new wedges made by toms. super cute, super comfy.  we ran into an adorable dog boutique, so i grabbed the kiddos some fresh baked dog treats. it wouldn’t have been right to forget about them!

IMG 4332IMG 4334

i got a kick out of this sign at the store i bought the shoes at.. what, ice cream isn’t food?

IMG 4273

ha!

speaking of ice cream…someone mentioned that mike’s ice cream was not to be missed, so i was on a mission! sim and crystal wanted a sandwich, but i wanted to skip straight to the good stuff so i headed to mike’s on my own. it was just a tiny little shack, but from the high volume of people eating ice cream in the cold weather, i knew it would be good!

IMG 4287

i ordered a double scoop of coconut and vanilla ice cream–my two faves.

IMG 4289

um. yeah. it was flipping fantastic. i mean, i like all ice cream. i am not picky by any means. but mike’s ice cream is definitely something to write home (or to blog) about!

it was 2 o’clock, so we headed to the spa at the columbia gorge hotel.

IMG 4299

i ended up getting a new-to-me treatment: raindrop therapy with a hot stone massage. my masseuse, rose, was wonderful! she’d been into massage since she was five years old (he mom is a massage therapist, too) and so she had nearly 35 years of practice under her belt. the raindrop therapy was really cool. she dropped essential oils on various spots of my back and then rubbed them in with her hands and the hot stones, then place a warm towel over me so i could “cook”!  the fragrant oils soothed my senses and my skin. the hot stones worked out all my muscle soreness and left me more refreshed than i have been in a long time.  i sure hope i can find a spa that does raindrop therapy here in the SLC!

after our relaxing spa experience we went back to the hotel, cleaned up, and met with the boys so we could enjoy our final night in hood river. we started things off at naked winery for a tasting.

IMG 4301

naked is known for their racy labels and they are actually banned from selling their wines in certain (ultra-conservative) states!

IMG 4304IMG 4305

it was only $8 for a tasting–i had never done a wine tasting but that sounded like a bargain to me. i am definitely not a wine connoisseur and had no idea what i was doing, but i enjoyed tasting the naked wines.

IMG 4311IMG 4312

it was hilarious because the bartender made sexual remarks the whole time she was serving us our tastes. it was a lot of fun. well, for those of us who were tasting, i guess…

IMG 4314

…the others sat nearby and had their phones for entertainment!

IMG 4309

i thought the picnic table pink was pretty rad because it comes in a plastic bottle–perfect for outdoor adventures!

IMG 4313

we were able to rate the selections on a piece of paper. i went with a smiley-face rating system.

IMG 4326

the booty call and fling didn’t make the cut.. but i really loved the tease and the sure thing!

naked winery was such a cool place. there were tattoos and photo props that made for a fun-filled experience.

IMG 4318IMG 4323IMG 4320IMG 4321

this was the first and ONLY time i will ever say i got naked with my co-workers!

IMG 4327

after the winery we strolled up oak street to brian’s pourhouse, another restaurant that was recommended to us. it was drizzling rain, but nothing too horrible.

IMG 4331IMG 4337IMG 4338

we started with hot rolls with butter, calamari, and fried oysters.

IMG 4347IMG 4348

sim shared some of the amazing mushroom parmesan soup. i’d like the recipe to this deliciousness!

IMG 4350

for my entree i ordered the special: draper valley roasted chicken breast served with braised asparagus, house made biscuit, mashed potatoes, and mushroom béchamel. the flaky biscuit soaked up the savory mushroom sauce and the chicken was crisp on the outside and juicy in the middle. perfection on a plate!

IMG 4355

i have to say brian’s pourhouse lived up the the hype! the food, ambiance, and service was all spot on.

we walked past mike’s ice cream on our way back to the car, so naturally we had to stop for some ice cream… even though it was freezing cold outside and we were all uncomfortably full from dinner. there’s always room for ice cream, right?!

i chose the cookie dough and went with a small scoop this time… but also somehow managed to sample the banana, mandarin chocolate, turtle, and strawberry flavors. funny how that works… i am an ice cream monster.

IMG 4362

we took a drive up the mountain to enjoy the sunset and our last evening in hood river.

IMG 4369IMG 4378

such a pretty place!!

i was BEAT and zonked out at 9:33 PM. yes, precisely. i was going to wake up before breakfast and work out, but that didn’t happen. instead, i slept for a solid nine hours. we snagged breakfast from the hotel restaurant, riverside, before heading to the airport. lucky for us, the restaurant (hood river’s only waterfront restaurant) is actually a four-star rated eatery and we had free breakfast vouchers!

i started with coffee and soy milk with a side of sweet view.

IMG 4390IMG 4395

i was pumped when i saw bob’s red mill on the menu–they were on of my blend retreat sponsors! go, bob!

IMG 4385

oatmeal sounded good, but the housemade granola bowl sounded better: almonds, coconut, local honey, and organic yogurt.

IMG 4402

i also had a side of organic egg whites for a protein punch.

IMG 4403

i have to say, i LOVE that all of the restaurants i visited in hood river offered organic, local, and sustainable choices. you don’t always see that when traveling, so it was a nice surprise.

after breakfast we headed to the airport, flew home, i took a taxi to my casa (momma b is in costa rica and marshall was at an appointment), and got smothered with kisses from penny and randy. they are the BEST welcoming committee!

special thanks to my boss for taking me on such a rad business trip. i have to say that it was more play than work, and i definitely appreciate the people i work for. i realize how fortunate i am to be employed by such a great company and to work for and with awesome people.

that’s all for now! hope you all have a mellow monday.

Sarah June 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I knew you’d love it here. What can I say? Oregon is the best (and Oregonians too)!

kalin June 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm

We were at Naked today! We’re in the wine club, which gets you FREE tastings. It makes for the greatest rest stop between my parents house (in eastern WA) and Portland.

Hood River is amazing. It’s #2 on my favorite non-portland places in Oregon. (Bend is #1!)

Sana June 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm

The massage sounds awesome!

Ash B June 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I flipped love Oregon. Best food I’ve ever had and I’m in Chicago all the time! People there know the meaning of local and organic. Man, I miss it SO MUCH. That and Utah. Love me some Utah.

If you ever go back to Portland area, you need to visit the wineries south of the city. Great food, gorgeous views, and damn cool people.

angela June 10, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hood River looks beautiful! I have lived in Oregon my entire life and have never been there! Glad you enjoyed Oregon!

pluvk June 11, 2012 at 1:26 am

I think I need to change professions… mine doesn’t allow me to wine taste and go to a spa!! Boo. :-) Looks like you had a lot of fun!!

lindsay June 11, 2012 at 4:39 am

i have a new item to add to my bucket list… GO TO THAT WINERY with YOU! Oh man, so loving it! Get naked? Yes! I would have stayed for hours. teehee

Lauren June 11, 2012 at 4:49 am

I have never been to Oregon but it looks beautiful and I love all of the fresh local food options available. Sounds like a great trip and I’m so glad you had fun.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 11, 2012 at 5:28 am

Looks like such a fun trip! Totally didn’t realize it was business trip until I read the last paragraph of that. What an awesome boss!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 11, 2012 at 6:17 am

You are one lucky girl!! Travel, eating, massages. Sounds like you should never, ever leave this company!

Heather @ Better With Veggies June 11, 2012 at 7:09 am

Sounds like a great trip, I haven’t been to Oregon (that I can recall), but would really like to visit sometime!

Jessica June 11, 2012 at 7:12 am

I hate when hotel gyms are lame. The last couple hotels I’ve stayed at have had treadmills older than me! That’s the nice thing about the FitMixer workouts though…no gym required! Happy Monday! Glad you had an awesome trip!

Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt June 11, 2012 at 8:21 am

That winery looks like so much fun! I think it’s so important to enjoy the company of your coworkers, you are very lucky!

sarah @ sarah learns June 11, 2012 at 9:07 am

wow, it looks like a pretty great trip. and so much delicious food + ice cream. i wish my boss took me on trips like that!

HoodooVoodoo June 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

Now I want to make a trip to Hood River, OR!!!! This looks like so much fun esp the wine tasting & brian’s pourhouse. What can I say, I like my booze!

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit June 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m in Portland and we go to Hood River all the time. Glad you enjoyed it. It’s so beautiful.

Tamara June 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wow, everything you had looks simply divine!! What an awesome trip. Welcome home. :)

sherice@foodieluvsfitness June 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

your an Ice cream connoisseur!

elise June 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

ice cream monster!!!

ok theres just too much to comment on – the pampering, that gorgeous soup, and the smiley rating system…i love it all.

i really wanted to hit up bobs red mill when we were driving through oregon two summers ago…its cool that restaurants support them by putting it on the menu.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I think that little gym looks ok, except for the lack of free weights. I know that when you’re following a certain program, those limited gyms suck, but you can always pull something out of it. And good for you with your poolside selfasskick.

I’m always wary of wineries/wines with names that are just all about the marketing-I always figure that the wines must be horrid if they have to stoop to those levels. But as you said, you found a couple of decent ones, thank goodness.

Erin June 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Ahh! My best friend got married in Hood River so I have such great memories of that town. How freaking awesome you got to go on a business trip there!! So jealous :)

Valerie @ Anthonylovers June 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm

A massage and ice cream twice…win! ;)

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile June 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Sounds like a very cool time :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

It doesn’t matter the weather, time of day, or if you are hungry….there is always room for ice cream!

Annette@FitnessPerks June 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

That is a gorgeous place!! And I agree-always always room and time for ice cream. ALWAYS.

Dana @ My Little Celebration June 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm

oh my gosh I just realized I have BEEN to Hood River to the Naked Winery! Duh! John and I made a special stop there one day while living in Portland. We were on our way back from some random adventure and were so glad we happened upon the hood. Such a quaint, lovable town! Thanks for sharing.

btw, coconut ice cream for the win.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I freaking love your whole trip- and the food. AND especially the ice cream. Oh yeah, and the wine! I can’t believe you haven’t been to a winery! We have a TON of awesome ones around here (and actually got married at a local one!). Tastings are usually free or just a couple of dollars (no more than 5)- but I know that is way cheaper than any wineries I’ve been to in Oregon and California!

Jenny June 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I loved this post!! I live in PDX, and my husband and I love to drive up to Hood River at least once a month to go shopping, have a fun dinner, and see a movie! You captured all my favorite places – so glad you enjoyed it!

Lisa June 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love that the restaurant was local and organic. That is really awesome to have that option! The trip sounds like a lot of fun. Especially wine tasting, sounds like my type of event! I’ve never been to a winery, but I have been wine tasting…at a farmer’s market hah. It was odd. That spa treatment sounds super fab as well!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm

a wine company that has labels so racy they are banned from being sold in several states…umm I must get! haha the GPP workouts look awesome woman!! The wine tasting experience loked awesome…they are just such a fun event!

Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

What a fantastic trip! I’m convinced that Oregon is just an awesome place because pretty much everywhere I went in Portland was great.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Looks like an awesome trip! And I SO want some of that ice cream, please!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie June 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

what a great business trip! and I love your rating system. I wish my coworkers were this fun!

Miranda July 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I haven’t been to Hood River in years, but your recap definitely made me want to visit again.
As a massage therapy student I wanted to let you know that the term masseuse is derogatory (I was guilty of using it before I went to school). The correct term is massage therapist, or LMT. Masseuse infers there are *other* services offered.
I have wanted to try raindrop therapy. It’s always awesome when you try new modalities and like them. Sometimes they can be…different than what you expect.