highlights in the hood: part one.

by Janetha on June 9, 2012

in day job,eating out,travel

i’m home! my trip to hood river, oregon was a quick one.. but we fit a LOT in while we were there.

i went to hood river with one of my bosses and six co-workers. in case you are just joining us here on meals & moves, you should know i manage a window company. we get our insulated glass units from cardinal IG, which is located in hood river. we went up there on thursday to tour the facility… and to eat as much delicious food as possible! as it turns out, hood river is a foodie paradise!!

thursday morning we drove straight from portland international airport to hood river. it was a little over an hour. i had my fitmixer aminos for the beautiful drive. it was rainy and foggy, but still very pretty, and SO GREEN!

IMG 4109IMG 4110IMG 4122

we passed multnomah falls during the drive.

IMG 4123IMG 4126

gorgeous.

we drove straight to cardinal–i have to say, they have a FABULOUS view from their offices.

IMG 4161IMG 4166

the folks at cardinal had hot coffee and lunch waiting for us.

IMG 4139

after meeting and eating, we toured the factory where all the insulated glass is made. it was cool to finally see what happens with the glass before it comes to us in salt lake city.

IMG 4142

the advanced window product crew!

IMG 4155

yes, the men i work with are five year olds trapped in adult bodies.

IMG 4148

it’s hard to see, but that machine is called the “gas blaster”.

the factory is so huge! they use these adult-sized tricycles to get around. pretty sweet.

IMG 4158

after spending the afternoon at cardinal, we headed to our hotel. we stayed at the hood river inn and it was actually pretty swanky (as deb would say!) with a great view right off the balcony.

IMG 4173IMG 4177
IMG 4188IMG 4185

i even found a friend! i spotted him on the jogging trail that went along the riverbank.. but this little chub wasn’t jogging–he was munching on something tasty.

IMG 4192

thursday night the cardinal reps treated us to dinner at full sail brewery.  a few of you recommended this restaurant so i suggested it right off the bat!

IMG 4195

you can’t go to a brewery without having a brew! i chose the allman’s all mild–a pub exclusive.

IMG 4204IMG 4210

i ordered the hummus plate as a starter. isn’t it gorgeous? and it tasted as good as it looks!

IMG 4215

for my entree i went with the chicken caprese sandwich which came with a side salad.

IMG 4219

the balsamic reduction was thick, the pesto was freshly made, and the chicken was perfectly cooked. i LOVED my entree.

IMG 4217

i also LOVED every other entree i tried! i am a total sharer, so i stole bites of the salmon beer battered fish (so unique to use salmon!), the lamb gyro with tangy tzatziki, the garlic french fries, and the steak sandwich with sriracha mayo and caramelized onions (which ended up being my FAVORITE bite of the whole entire trip–yes!)

everyone really enjoyed their meals (and their drinks, especially todd there on the right)–i highly suggest full sail brewery if you ever find yourself up that way.

IMG 4220

i was exhausted from a day packed with traveling, touring, and eating, so i passed out pretty early. plus, we had an early wake up call so we could join the boys for breakfast before they golfed.

the sunrise on friday was stunning. i was happy to see the rain had gone away and the sunshine reflecting on the water was a beautiful sight.

IMG 4227

we all headed to egg river cafe for breakfast.

IMG 4260

just by looking at the restaurant, i knew it would be a winner. organic eggs, organic coffee, ivy (i love ivy!) and lots of roosters. marshall loves roosters, so i love them through marriage.. haha.

IMG 4254IMG 4256IMG 4241IMG 4251

one look at the menu and i was reassured that this restaurant was right up my alley.  food served with love and cold cereal on the menu!

IMG 4235IMG 4236

our cardinal rep had been going on and on (AND ON) about the bloody mary at egg river. i had to see what all the fuss was about.

IMG 4243

sure enough, this was probably the best bloody mary i’ve had. i can only think of two others that compare.

i ordered the veggie scramble for breakfast. it came with fresh grapefruit and whole wheat toast. the mushrooms were the best part.

IMG 4248

i had to snap a shot of sim’s breakfast: croissant french toast with strawberry mascarpone and whipped cream topping. incredible!

IMG 4246

french-toasting (yes, it is a verb) croissants is a really good idea. well, french-toasting ANYTHING is a good idea, right, susan?

after breakfast the three girls headed back to the hotel and the guys went golfing.  we decided to take a load off for a few hours before heading out to explore the town… but i will tell you about that in my next post. this one is long enough, right?

plus, i’ve got things to do!  i am going to head to gold’s and do today’s GPP workout, then marshall and i are going to head to the movies tonight. we are seeing prometheus. be back tomorrow with details on the rest of my trip. hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

Kris June 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

aw, I should have asked if you were flying into Portland, I could have come out to see you at the airport at least! poo.

glad you had an awesome time here – isn’t Hood River gorgeous?

I couldn’t comment on your post from the other day (I saw it in reader but it 404’d here) but the Penny Marshall thing made me laugh – I’ve never put those two together. and PM = Laverne! :D

Janetha June 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Rescued you! Yeah.. I have never seen Laverne and Shirley.. a few people said they can’t believe I didn’t know! I am a loser!

I need to meet youuu! Unfortunately we didn’t even have a minute at the airport.. we got there, checked in, boarded, and left! It was lickity split. I guess that is good, though!

Dana @ My Little Celebration June 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

oregon is beautiful AND tasty, no?! I miss living in Portland so bad!

Janetha June 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I don’t blame you!

Sana June 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

What a fun work trip!

Krystina (Krystina Yogini) June 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve always wanted to travel to Oregon. It looks so pretty. :)

I thought you didn’t drink? Did you recently start drinking again or am I making things up?

Janetha @ meals & moves June 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Haha what? Yeah.. I definitely drink. Marshall doesn’t, maybe that’s what you’re thinking? Xo

Krystina (Krystina Yogini) June 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Haha, probably. Sorry for the confusion chicka!

Janetha @ meals & moves June 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Oh! No need to apologize! It’s normal to not know things about other people lol.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That hummus plate looks awesome!! Glad you had a good trip!

BroccoliHut June 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

So much fantastic food! That hummus starter looks amazing, and now I’m craving a Bloody Mary. YUM!
PS I definitely laughed out loud when I saw the Gas Blaster picture :)

Alex @ therunwithin June 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Gosh that food is all drool worthy and those pictures are amazing. Such a fun trip.

Brenda June 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Uhg just got back from prometheus and laughed at a few parts. Not my cup of tea. But you gotta go if the boy wants! Right? I wanted to see snow white:)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Anything French-toasted IS always a good idea. French toast is my favorite breakfast item to eat out. YUMMMMM! :)

meg June 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Wow! What a fun trip! What yummy eats and it’s cool you got to tour a brewery! There are tons of local brewerys in Oregon and lots and lots of hops fields!

I’m glad you got to see Multnomah falls even though you didn’t pass though boise. Maybe next time. ;)

ali moll June 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Looks like a FAB time! Love Portland! I’ve been there a few times and have loved every visit! Bloody Mary’s (anywhere!) are my “morning” drink of choice! Love them!

Hope to see you this week at GPP!

meggi June 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Fun trip!! I love love love how green it looks! Your coworkers seem like a hoot! :) I’ve been wanting to see Prometheus… I hear that it makes you keep thinking about it after.

lynn @ the actor's diet June 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

french toasting is definitely a word.

Sierra June 10, 2012 at 12:50 am

Organic eggs and ivy are also some of my favorite things. Firstly, I can complain a lot about the food in South Africa, but eggs are not one of those complaints. They seem to be so much fresher and farm fresh compared to the US…the yolks are vibrant and oh so yellow-y orange. I always notice how muted the eggs look in America. There is something to be said for farm fresh eggs…

And Ivy…There is a yellow house with ivy and awnings that I am obsessed with and every time I drive by I tell my husband how much I love a traditional home like that….so cute and cozy.

cathy@1970kikiproject June 10, 2012 at 3:51 am

love the photo of the rooster collection. i guess in your home, it’s the battle of the owls vs the roosters, eh?!
gas blaster photo -> too funny. glad you work with a team who like a good laugh! never a dull moment, i am sure!
nice that you all could get away from the office for a short trip!

Villimey June 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

Nice! I hope you and Marshall will enjoy Prometheus! Pay close attention to the scenery as it comes from my country, Iceland! Yes, at this moment, I’m a proud Icelander! XD

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 10, 2012 at 8:25 am

Well Part One looks awesome! I’m so glad that you went to Full Sail- I SO WISH Greg and I had gone when we were there last summer, but we just kinda passed through Hood River. I really, really need to go back!
It must be so fun to take work trips- especially when you all get along so well!

Victoria June 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

I used to live right near the Falls, I miss it out there! Glad you had a fun, quick trip!

Lisa June 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Oregon looks beautiful! I’ve never been before, looks like a great trip so far! Can’t wait to hear about the rest. I french toasted my pancakes a couple weeks ago, it was awesome. I agree, french toasted anything is a great plan!

Erica June 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thats so fun that they ride around on trics!! The food-mmmm! Especially that hummus plate and scramble. Glad it was fab

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Those pics are beautiful! Looks like a fun trip! :)

Amanda June 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm

In the ‘hood up to no good! I want to take Andy on a trip to Hood River one of these days for brewery touring. Full Sail is one of my favorites (or was before this gluten-thing.)

I need to try a Bloody Mary!

Pure2raw twins June 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

looked like a fun quick trip! and that food!! OMG I want a bite of everything

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Oh my gosh I want an adult size tricycle to ride around!!! That looks so fun :) Hood river sounds pretty awesome…glad you had a good time and are now home safe and sound. Looking forward to the next instalment xo

Neil June 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Looks like a great trip. Hood river is so amazingly beautiful. Question is: how do you find all that good food to eat? That tomato made my mouth water.

I may have told you wrong on the TM setting. It’s 10 percent harder by going up to setting #1 on most TMs. When you wrote back that you did a 10 percent grade. Well that is SIGNIFICANTLY harder. Sorry. Good time you turned in though. (sheepish grin)

Trisha June 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I really had to do a double read there for a second when I saw Cardinal IG. My little ol’ home town of Spring Green, WI is home of the main Cardinal headquarters. :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats June 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

That chicken sandwich sounds/looks so tasty! :) I have been craving pesto like mad lately. lol.

elise June 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

someone chucked a huge log through the window on the side of our house last night (scared the shit out of us) so i could really use your professional help right now, ha!

in other news, my patient was SO out of it yesterday from all the pain meds, when i asked him where he was he said “french toast, nevada”- ummmm, maybe french toast anything isnt always great?

those plates all look awesome!! im not a good sharer though, so i would have hoarded the best ones :)

gas blasters. ha. nerds.

Janetha June 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

hahahaha french toast, nevada. love.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie June 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm

oregon looks so beautiful! I have never been, but it might be on the list. and im not sure if I laughed more at the guys and the gas blasters or the chubby squirrel haha