girls & goals & great news.

by Janetha on June 5, 2012

in eating out,family time,goals,moves

hey, guys! how was your tuesday?

mine started out bright and early—but not as bright and early as i’d aimed for. i wanted to get off work a little early today, so i set my alarm to make it to the 5:45 AM class at GPP. well, the alarms (yes, i set three) went off, 5:45 came and went, and i rolled out of bed at 6:09—barely making it to the 6:30 class. but the important part is that i made it!

today’s workout was challenging in the strength department—it was called cleans & abs and it was just what it sounds like. power cleans with some ab work thrown in. i paired up with a couple lovely ladies and pounded out the sets called for, maxing out at 95#. it was tough, but fun. i am amazed at the ladies who are cleaning 125+ pounds for multiple reps. candice is one of those ladies. she’s such an inspiration!

after GPP it was off to work for a fun-filled day at the office. another day, another dollar.. right? at least this week is only a three day work week and then i’m off to oregon. yes, it’s on a work trip, but it won’t be too much actual work. thanks to all of you who made great suggestions for things to do while in hood river!

after work i had big plans with the girls! specifically my mom, sister suni, and sister in law lindsay.  we had a belated mother’s day celebration! momma b treated us to pedicures and dinner. she’s so generous!

well, almost everyone got pedicures. i’d made a 4:45 appointment for the four of us, but they were overbooked and understaffed, so i ended up waiting in the chair for a solid hour! the other three were finished with their pedicures (and ready to go eat dinner!) before they even had a technician available to start my pedicure. i said forget it and we peaced out of there. i was slightly annoyed, but sometimes that’s just life.

we headed to gourmandise for dinner.  gourmandise is a bakery right downtown that not only has fantastic baked goods—but delicious soups, salads, and sandwiches, too. i have been there several times and it never lets me down.  i love everything they make—from savory to sweet. i even served their tiramisu at the rehearsal dinner before my wedding!

we started with the goat cheese crostini which was topped with caramelized pears and pecans. it was the perfect combination of savory and sweet.

IMG 4034

plus, there were four slices and there were four of us! meant to be.

IMG 4032

for my entree i selected the cobb salad which was piled high with avocado, herb-roasted chicken breast, crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber, and bleu cheese. it came with a french vinaigrette dressing and a whole wheat roll.

IMG 4038

after dinner i snagged marshall some dinner and tiramisu to go and raced home so the poor boy didn’t starve to death. (i kid–he can fend for himself, but gourmandise has tasty food!)

and now for my second G–goals! today i wrote a blog post over on the fitmixer bootcamp site (it’s private) because we had some homework. our leader, candice, wanted us to set some short- and long-term goals. if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know i used to be a MAJOR goal setter. i would set a long list of goals each and every month. i am still a very goal-oriented person.. i just don’t hold myself to it as much. i also don’t write goals down all the time.

i put my thinking cap on and listed some of my goals–both small and large–and i like what i came up with. i thought i would share my lists with all of you! side note–there is proper capitalization on the lists because i promise i type like a normal person outside of my blog ;)

Short-term goals:

• Drink 1 gallon of water daily. Match any other beverages consumed ounce-for-ounce with extra water. (So if I have 12 oz of coffee, I have to drink my gallon plus 12 oz of water.)
  • Get 7 hours of sleep each night. I am usually eeking by with 5 or 6. 8 is ideal, but I will settle with 7.
  • No mindless snacking when I walk in the door from work. I know we all have that time of day where our snacking is out of control. For some it’s before bed, for others it’s mid-afternoon. For me it’s when I walk in the door from work right around 5PM. At this time I have usually had a snack and it’s not quite dinnertime. I won’t be hungry AT ALL as I drive home from work, but right when I walk in the door I suddenly feel like I haven’t eaten in WEEKS and grab anything I can get my hands on. It’s ridiculous and unnecessary. I am going to try chewing gum to stop myself from these snack attacks. Now that I work out in the mornings, this is even worse with so much spare time between when I get home and when I eat dinner!

Long-term goals:

• Cut out GMOs from my diet. My husband suggested this and I agree–it’s a good goal.
  • Be happy with my arms (they are my body part I am not a fan of–we all have one!)
  • Cross the monkey bars.. I have NEVER in my life done this and I have the Tough Mudder in October, scary!
  • Become a personal trainer/certify to be one.
  • Take courses to become an RD or at least certified to give some sort of nutritional advice to people. I want to be legit.

you may notice i didn’t have any goals on there about weight.  this is because I truly think the number on the scale is a joke after my body fat composition test the other day. well, i already thought it was a joke, but the results from last thursday only drove that thought home further. i weigh more now than i did 4 years ago when i was in the moderately overweight category. the difference now? i have more muscle.. so i weigh more. but i am smaller, tighter, fitter, and happier.

my third and final G is great news!

NewImage

THAT’S FREAKING RIGHT!!!! trader joe’s has officially announced they will be in salt lake city before the end of the year! i am beyond thrilled. i am that girl who takes an extra suitcase to california specifically to tote goods home from trader joe’s. and i am always longing for the perishable goods that i can’t take home with me. i absolutely, positively cannot put my excitement into words. and yes, i am this excited over a grocery store. it’s a big deal, folks.

whelp, those are my 3 Gs for the night.. well.. ACTUALLY, if you count GPP and gourmandise, that’s FIVE Gs! you guys know i love alliteration and lists, so this post was a win in my book.

1. what are your goals–either short- or long-term? or both!
2. if you could have an endless gift card to ANY store, what store would you pick?xo. janetha g.

Jessica June 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I love your goals! If I lived in Utah I would totes want you as a personal trainer! :)

I’m drooling over that goat cheese crostini. Yum!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Um, your arms are awesome, what are you talking about? ;)

Drinking all that water will probably eliminate the snacking problem. Most people are just thirsty all the time and think it’s hunger.

No GMOs in TJs label products so that will work out :)

Janetha June 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

You are so sweet! ha. I already drink a gallon a day and have the problem.. maybe I should up it to two ;) i kid.

Lisa June 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I love your goals, I’m usually not much of a goal setter, but decided this month I should probably set some so that I can actually be productive in life. I definitely also want to get certified in nutrition and fitness! I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures with that :) Sorry about the pedicure, that is super lame that that happened. Not fun. Dinner with the girls sounded like a blast though! So jealous of your TJ’s come on Canada get on the TJ’s boat! Also I like your new pic on the site!

Janetha June 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thank you, Lisa!

allison miller June 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Also, I am sure someone already told you about this, but Double mountain Brewery in Hood River is amazing!! I love Hood River! It is so beautiful!!

Janetha June 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Oooo nobody said that one. Thanks!

allison miller June 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Super delicious pizza!

Lili June 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm

YOu would make a great personal trainer.. I need to drink more water my job make’s harder for me to do that.. Im thinking bout becoming an RD but very scared of the science classes.. Good luck

Heather June 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I like your goals. Very similar to mine!

I have Tough Mudder in 3 weeks. Eep! I have mastered pull-ups and monkey bars are okay.

WOW! Impressed by your cleans…I am currently at 70lbs!

Keep it up:)

marissa June 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm

i am a goal setter, too. i like to make goals in my “life categories”. my moves goals include stepping up my cardio routine to include barefoot running (in my 5 toes) and being able to do a chin up. my meals goal is more broad and it’s just to continue to educate myself about what i’m putting in my body and making healthier choices everyday. thanks J, for being such an inspiration. btw, i’ll be 29 on Sunday. happy birthdays to us!! :D

Janetha June 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Yay! Happy birthday!

meggi June 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

1. Goals. Oh geez. I think my long-term goal is also to cut out all GMO’s. I just found out last week that zucchini is often in that category. My other long term goal is to be a regular fitness participant. I work out here and there…. but sometimes that means a whole month without a single workout. Bad. I know.
Short-term: buy organic veggies, no exceptions. I buy some organic but other times I feel like they are too small for what I need. I also am working on cutting out grains and would like to ultimately be on a low inflammation diet.

2. Gift Card: Whole Foods probably just because it would be so nice not to worry about food costs. Or Trader Joes. Or the Beer Store. ;)

Candice June 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for the love J.
xoxo to you.
1. Goals. SO many.. a few of them,, to simplify my life a little more
Give more service, and build readership on my little bloggy.
2. Home goods. LOVE that store but can never justify spending money on home decor.. food is more important, and diapers…

You are going to be an amazing trainer. You inspire me everyday. Thanks for always being you!

Danielle June 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

What is GMO? Or maybe I am just really blonde ;)

Janetha June 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm

genetically modified organism

Alicia June 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Holla for Trader Joe’s!!!! Only one downer… they won’t have the cheap wine that makes that place extra special… dang Utah… anywho, we should go opening day!

Short term goal: Survive the day :)
Long term goal: Find self-acceptance and never let it go!

xoxo!

Oh, P.S. you can practice training me. You’re welcome :)

Matina June 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Janetha you have totally inspired me, well you and your mom. Anyway, love the idea of goals, I’ve set a few, hit a few and now it’s time to set more. I have set the 12 week Body for Life challenge for one, on day 3!!! I’m so excited about this. Drinking enough water is definitely something I need to work on and I need to get more organized at work.
Thanks for being so inspiring and I’m sure you will hit your goals.

The Healthy Hostess June 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Yay for Trader Joe’s! The best news ever! You are going to love it more than you know!
I just passed my PT certification test and it’s great! Extra money and nice to be legit!
I just made Healthy Hostess LLC for blog, personal training and personal chef…crazy stuff! So excited for you!

Janetha June 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

I looove Trader Joe’s already–I visit any time I am near one–I cannot WAIT to have their perishable goods at my fingertips!!!

Congrats on all the progress you have made. You are awesome! If you have a minute, I would love to hear your thoughts on why you chose the PT cert you did and how tough it was! xoxoxo

Katie June 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

I am the SAME way with snacking immediately when I walk in the door from work. I all the sudden feel starving when I walk in the door even though I know I’m not–it is such a bad habit!

1. Long term goals are to move into a more health/fitness related career + move to Cali (maybe simultaneously)
2. Oh god…that is so hard. The practical side of me would probably say somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. But in actuality I would most likely pick Zara :)

also so excited for you to have a Trader Joe’s! I live less than 2 blocks from one and cannot imagine not having it around—I do pretty much all my grocery shopping there.

Emily R June 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Great goals! I love the idea of matching non-water beverages with additional water, ounce for ounce. I do my best to drink 2-3 liters of water per day, but I also like to have some sweet tea now and then…horrible, but I’m from the South!

Long term goal would probably be to work out/be active on a more consistent and regular basis. sometimes I will go a month without going to the gym, and that needs to stop! Bad, I know.

A lot of people have said it, but I would probably go with Whole Foods for an unlimited gift card…I’d shop there all the time if I could afford it, and food is something you will always have to buy! I am equally stoked for TJ’s in Utah…

Lissa June 7, 2012 at 3:28 pm

That’s so exciting that SLC is getting a Trader Joe’s! Columbia, SC is also getting one this fall :) Just in time for us to move away :(

Tami June 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Wow I am so like you with the mindless snacking right when I get home. Even when I bring a snack and have it in the car I still feel hungry when I get home, ah! I was also wondering how your stomach/GI problems are. I have really bad stomach pains and I think my intestines stink, I’m always uncomfortable and bloated,etc. :( I was wondering what new tests you’ve had or what you’ve found out!? :)

Carol June 8, 2012 at 4:33 am

I can totally relate to your Trader Joes excitement! I live in Florida and Trader Joes recently opened one in Naples AND there is going to be another very soon! YEAH!

Valerie July 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

that’s awesome! trader joe’s just opened a couple of weeks ago in a city nearby, about an hour away. of course, that meant i HAD to take the trip this weekend and stock up. i hear they are bringing one to my city (Houston) in September. i’m BEYOND excited :)