family celebrations.

by Janetha on June 4, 2012

in family time

hola!

i still have a couple fun weekend things to share with you guys.. i didn’t want to overload an already loaded post (referring to yesterday’s post) so i saved the rest of the weekend shenanigans for tonight’s post! both were family-oriented.

marshall’s brother, brad, recently got hitched! rachel and brad were married in the carribean back in april. they celebrated their recent nuptials and their new home with a party on saturday night.

IMG 3961

i didn’t manage to get a photo of the happy couple together, but at least i got photos of them separately.. brad with marshall and rachel with me.

IMG 3960IMG 3963

congratulations, guys! we love you tons.

sunday night was another family celebration—it was my brother, doug’s, 32nd birthday! everyone gathered in his backyard for a BBQ, skate sesh, and popsicles. it’s tradition.

IMG 3993 IMG 3970IMG 3975

i made my spinach basil couscous salad to share with everyone. it was a hit.

IMG 3972

they were out of plates by the time i’d arrived, so i snagged one of my niece’s plastic plates from the kitchen. i was secretly excited to use this thing—i mean, it’s got ice cream cones on it!

IMG 3977

i topped a beef burger with guacamole and mustard. have you ever combined the two?! i hadn’t, but now i am hooked. it’s a seriously stellar combo!

IMG 3981

dinner was delicious but the company was even better.

IMG 3983IMG 3980IMG 3992IMG 4004
IMG 4005
IMG 4008

happy birthday, doug! love you.

after the birthday party, we met some friends at the movie theater to see snow white and the huntsman. it was SO GOOD. check it out. it was well worth the late bedtime sunday night.. but it did make for a sleepy monday morning.

today was just a typical monday for me. meetings in the morning, busywork all day, then GPP after work. the workout today was HOT–running outside in nearly 100 degree heat is not my idea of a good time. i am not a runner, so i will take my 7:30 minute mile and smile. the rest of the workout was fun–since it was indoors. i am working on my pull-ups and hope that maaaaybe one day i can do kips. we shall see. i finished the whole thing in 15:21.

once home, it was time to make dinner. after eating out four days in a row, i was happy to have a homemade meal!

IMG 4018

it’s no surprise that we went with buffalo chicken pizza.. marshall and i have both been craving it since i first made it last week!

IMG 4028

it’s safe to say this pizza will be made at least twice a month—if not more. it’s addictive.

sad story, though, as i went to grab our favorite baking stone to heat it up for the pizza, i saw it had broken in half.

IMG 4015

sigh. luckily we had a backup one, but this baking stone–a gift from marshall’s mom–has been the absolute best! i plan to buy another just like it. it’s perfect for everything from pizza to cookies.

in other news…

• kodiak cakes, my favorite pancake mix (which is made by the local utah brand, baker mills), is now available at target stores nationwide! click here for a $1 off coupon.
  • today was national cheese day, national cognac day, national applesauce cake day, and national frozen yogurt day. now you know.
  • i got a le creuset dutch oven (5.5 quart) for my birthday. what should i make? recipes welcome!
  • i am going to be in hood river, oregon on thursday. anyone live there? i’ve never been!

hasta luego!

Laura June 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm

You should check out the Fruit Loop when you are in Hood River- it’s a 35 mile loop of a bunch of different farms, all of which have stands that sell fresh fruit, wine, baked goods, etc. It’s a lot of fun! My favorite is definitely the alpaca farm- last time I went I got to see an alpaca that was born that morning!

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:22 am

Awesome! I have to check out Fruit Loop for sure!

Sana June 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm

:) Your family sounds so awesome!

Neil June 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm

15:31 is legit! Most of all I can’t believe you run in those foot gloves! Are you wrecked or just fine?

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

I was good after, except I went to Target and the hacking you mentioned started up. I was thinking “I wonder what all this cough talk is about?!” and then it hit me. Great workout, as usual :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I am so freakin stoked for Kodiak cakes in Target! I’ve been wanting to try those things forever but refuse to pay shipping costs on food. Just can’t do it. Also, I’m in love with my Le Creuset dutch oven. It’s the best for one pot meals in the winter like chilis, stews, lentils, soups…definitely worth it’s hefty price tag :)

sherice@foodieluvsfitness June 4, 2012 at 9:37 pm

you should make cooking light chicken and dumplings.. so good. Here’s the recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-dumplings-10000000521642/ I use a rotisserie chicken and add in carrots and I omit the sherry. It’s super yummy, easy and my kids love it. :)

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

Thanks for the recipe link! Checking it now–I love chicken and dumplings and haven’t made my recipe in ages! I gotta try this one!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

every time you post family gatherings i wish i could come – y’alls family sounds so fun!

Sarah June 4, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Wait, what?! Hood River on Thursday? That’s about a 2 hour drive from me, but there’s gotta be a way to get to see you!

Jessica June 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Your family is so cute! Every time I see pics of your mom I think “she is the cutest mom ever, I hope to be that cute when I am that age” I hope that isnt weird.

Angie June 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I love hood river, we drive through each year on our way to the coast. Try Southbank kitchen, they have great salads and sandwiches and amazing desserts.

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

Great, thank you!!

Corrie Anne June 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I love that cupcake plate. Some great portion control there! Buffalo pizza looks amazing. We seriously need a pizza stone or two!!!

meg June 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I love hood river! I always stop there on my way to my parents house in oregon. I haven’t spent much time there but it’s a pretty place. On your way you haaave to stop at Multnomah Falls. It’s right off the highway– you can’t miss it! What are you going there for? Are you driving though Boise?

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’m actually flying there! For work.

Sandy June 5, 2012 at 1:18 am

Celilo is a great place for dinner. Sixth Street Bustro has a fun deck for lunch and if you love ice cream, you should try Mike’s. We live in Portland and always stop on our way thru for something. It is a great little town. Also, lots of local wineries around. Have fun and hope the weather is good. Not so great tonight!

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thanks for the tips! I am going to try to check out Mike’s.. I love ice cream :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 5, 2012 at 1:34 am

Hey Janetha!

Your packaged arrived yesterday. All I can say is thank thank thank you. You made me feel so special and I love the card and all the kit!!! Can’t wait to try some of the stuff. Keep an eye out for some aussie goodies coming you way soon :)

Oh and you should make coq au vin (chicken in red wine) with your new le creuset dutch oven. It’s seriously easy and the tastiest meal ever!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food June 5, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hood River is awesome!!!! It’s seriously one of our favorite places to go especially when it’s nice – kite boarding and lots of awesome breweries there. Plus it’s a cute little town. You’ll be a little more than an hour from me! What are you going to hood river for? Driving through Vancouver maybe????

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:22 am

I am so excited! I am going for work. I wish I was going to Vancouver–I am not allowed in Canada haha.

Krista C. June 5, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge are awesome! Full Sail Brewery is a great place for lunch with a fabulous view of the Gorge. McCall Preserve is a short hike with wildflowers galore and amazing views. Have a great time!

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great, thank you for the recommendations!

elaine c. June 5, 2012 at 3:53 am

woohoo for Oregon! i live in a suburb of Portland and i’ve been to hood river for apple pickin’ and camping.
i hope you have time to travel down 1-84 and visit the beautiful columbia river gorge (like others have mentioned). the weather is not going to be superb this week, but the hikes all along the gorge are well worth it no matter what kind of weather! LaTourell, Wahkeena, and of course Multnomah Falls are all beautiful hikes (there are many others !) just beware of the wind!
have a blast!

Emily June 5, 2012 at 6:06 am

Hummus and mustard is really good too! I like to dip veggies in it, because it has the yummy flavor of hummus, and cutting it with mustard lowers the fat and calories!

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

I LOVE THOSE TWO! I mix hummus and mustard and a little water for salad dressing! Hummustard. I learned it from HEABs.

Nicole June 5, 2012 at 7:06 am

I am SO excited that Kodiak Cakes is now sold at Target! I’ve been wanting to try it forever. You made my day :)

Tamara June 5, 2012 at 7:19 am

Bummer on the stone!

And I agree, the movie was awesome. And SO gorgeous!

Presley @ Run Pretty June 5, 2012 at 7:24 am

I really want guac now! Yes, out of that entire post… I focus on guacamole. I’m sure my husband would want that pizza, though!

Jessica June 5, 2012 at 7:31 am

My favorite things to make in my dutch oven are soups, for some reason the flavor is just so much better. But I also think they’re really good for roasts- you can sear the outsides first on the stove top, throw a bunch of veggies in and roast it til they’re all done and ready to eat. Super simple!

Calee (@chimes) June 5, 2012 at 7:51 am

DANG. I’m so afraid that’s going to happen to our stone!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 5, 2012 at 8:06 am

Kodiak Cake mix at Target is the best news I’ve heard in a while. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Michelle (Better with Berries) June 5, 2012 at 8:35 am

What a fun-filled weekend with family! Those are the best kind :-)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 5, 2012 at 8:53 am

Ahh! So much to comment on. I emailed you about OR. :)
I love your family get-togethers- they always look like SO much fun!
And I’m dying to see Snow White and the Huntsmen. We never, ever go to the movies- like twice a year if that. Greg’s dying to see The Avengers. I told him I’d compromise since it has Mark Ruffalo, and that he’d have to see Snow White with me. So glad to hear you liked it- I get like a “Lord of the Rings” vibe from it, which I am obsessed with. (Nerd alert!!)

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile June 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am so making that pizza on Friday night!
And look! I have a blog!!!!!! :)

Amanda June 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

That is so sad about the pizza stone!

As for the dutch over, I’d try chile verde. Or bbq pulled pork, something like that would be incredible.

Brittany @Little b's healthy habits June 5, 2012 at 10:28 am

oh my that pizza looks amazing.

Kim @ The Family Practice June 5, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Booo broken pizza stone!
That skate ramp is pretty awesome is that just in their backyard? Very cool.

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Yep! My brother is big on skating…

Valerie @ Anthonylovers June 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

That pizza looks seriously amazing!! I am going to try it soon. <3

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy June 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’ve never been to Hood River, but hear its GORGEOUS. Even though we haven’t been, we’re actually looking at spots there for our wedding.

Katie June 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

happy birthday by the way! love your blog! did you know Utah is getting a trader joes???!!! very exciting!

brandee June 5, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I was just walking through Target and found the Kodiak Pancake box! I was so excited. I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for the coupon!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily June 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

You have such a great family!!! Guac and mustard is an awesome combo for sure!!!!

meggi June 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Fun family day! I can’t believe your brother has a ramp! That is awesome!! :)

Jessica, the_toned_teach June 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hello!
Well, I have never commented on your blog, BUT I have read it the past year. Sorry, I’ve been one of those imaginary readers ;) However, I have recently made a twitter&instagram account to join in on the fun, hence the_toned_teach. I wanted to say that I LOVE this post and your blog because you live a real life- you have friends, go to parties and don’t bring your own tupperwear of weighted out food, and just seem to truly enjoy life and all of the aspects of it! Not saying other bloggers don’t, but you just stand out :) Thanks for sharing your life with us… I promise to start sharing mine more via comments, hah!

Janetha June 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Hey Jessica! Thanks so much for commenting and reaching out. I will give you a follow on Twitter and leave me a comment on Instagram so I can find you :) I think life is meant to be lived–and there are always healthy tweaks we can make while still enjoying ourselves. You just have to pick your battles, right? xoxo

Sierra June 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

We had people over last week and I made your buffalo chicken pizza without the blue cheese and it was incredible. We will be making it again…so good. Thanks for sharing.