memorial day moments.

by Janetha on May 28, 2012

in love life,meals,moves

hello! just like that, the three day weekend is over. i knew it was going to fly by.. they always do.

today has been a little more on-the-go than the rest of my weekend was. things kicked off bright and early with a special GPP workout–outdoors!

NewImage
source: gppfitness.com

because of the holiday, GPP canceled the class times they usually have on monday and held ONE big class for everyone at 8 AM. we took it to a nearby field so there was room for everyone attending.  the grass was wet and the workout was on the ground.. that made for a nice, slippery, wet workout! neil was coaching us along as we sprinted, burpeed, side-shuffled, chair-dipped, bear-walked, pushed-up, crab-walked, and sat-up. WHEW, yes, it was as crazy as that sentence sounded. you can get the full details of the reps and ladder structure on the GPP site

some action shots, courtesy of neil.

NewImage

can you spot me and kerryne bear-crawlin?

NewImage

yes, a bear crawl is as awkward as it looks!

NewImage

crab walks were even worse than bear crawls, believe it or not.. that must be why he saved them for last. me and kerryne were dying! but at least her back looked good doing it.

NewImage

here’s lil’ kate is showing her crab skills–she rallied this workout in under 22 minutes! she’s unbelievable! i’m claiming it’s because she’s a decade younger than me ;)

NewImage

kenz killed the workout, too, then cheered everyone along as they finished up.

NewImage

this was a FUN workout–i definitely felt like a kid again as we were rolling around in the grass. speaking of grass.. kerryne had some gnarly allergic reaction to it and went home with a rash! eek–hope that clears up, lady.

i came home wanting breakfast but i couldn’t decide on sweet or savory. i compromised and had a little of each–my taste buds were stoked on the situation.

IMG 3701

for the savory, i had an asiago omelet with homemade salsa.

IMG 3710

and for the sweet, a pancake (made with kodiak cakes pancake mix) with PB&J.

IMG 3708

i also had a tall mug of coffee with cream–this cute mug was a gift from lauren! love it.

IMG 3712

the afternoon was mega productive! i cleaned out all my closets and drawers and made a huge heap of clothes to get rid of. i also used some elbow grease and made my kitchen all sorts of sparkly.

IMG 3721IMG 3722

had to take some photos so the cleanliness can last longer.. it’s already messy again.  that has 100% to do with the impromptu pizza party we just had!

IMG 3723

marshall’s buddies came over and we made three pizzas using whole food’s multigrain pizza dough.

IMG 3750

a vegan one for nick & dave…

IMG 3757

it had marinara, daiya cheese, yves meatless pepperoni, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

IMG 3759

then we made a couple non-vegan ones. the first was identical as the vegan one except it had mozzarella cheese and real pepperoni. the other one was the STAR of the show.. buffalo chicken.

IMG 3816

words cannot express how amazing this pizza was. recipe coming at you tomorrow!

a few other memorial day moments…

*my boys snoozing on the couch~

IMG 3715

*someone getting insanely jealous~

IMG 3716

*a 70-mile motorcycle ride to and from marshall’s parents’ house. i ended up with helmet hair and a VERY sore butt.. but it was a good time! and it was great to see marshall’s side of the fam–as always. love them.

NewImage

*and a little cuddle sesh with my penny bean.

NewImage

it has been a great day! not quite ready to get back to work in the morning.. but at least it is just a four-day work week AND it’s my birthday week! i should just start celebrating right now, right?

Q~

what was your favorite moment from today?

Laura May 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm

You definitely should start celebrating. My birthday is on the 12th of June, but I have a birthday fortnight starting today :D

Nicole S May 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Digging in the garden = favorite moment today! Can’t wait for the pizza recipe.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 29, 2012 at 12:12 am

Haha love those bear-crawls and crab walks!!! I did some cleaning over the weekend too…makes me feel prepared for the week when everything is in order. My fav moment today was hanging out with my friends at uni. I’ve been a bit under the weather, but they really cheered me up. gonna go for a walk to get some fresh air now…hopefully i can breathe through my nose soon lol

Joy May 29, 2012 at 2:10 am

My favorite moment was an impromptu date with Jim – we went to a street performer festival

Miz May 29, 2012 at 4:22 am

LOVE THIS as it reminds me of my yesterday and the fact our workouts can be BEAR CRAWLS :)

Lauren May 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

Organized exercise always seems so much better when conducted outdoors. :) Glad you had a wonderful weekend love!

Tracey May 29, 2012 at 6:00 am

Your omelet looks great, how did you make it?

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hey Tracey! I just put the eggs in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and covered with a lid until set, then sprinkled an ounce of asiago over the eggs and folded them over and scooped out of the pan!

Danielle May 29, 2012 at 6:05 am

Your kitchen is adorable! I love the card pictures on the wall!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 29, 2012 at 6:11 am

– At first I thought the photos were from out boot camp at Chautaqua! Man, that looks awesome- and I have to say- I HATE bear crawls. Crab walks are bad too, but there’s nothing worse than a bear crawl!
– Sweet and savory breakfast is the best. If I make eggs, I always have to have a pancake or french toast to balance it out.
– Jackson gets SO jealous if Greg cuddles with Lance. He literally sits there and glares at them- and me trying to cuddle with him doesn’t help. It’s ridiculous.
– Do you like Daiya cheese? I’m not crazy about it- but I’ve only had the cheddar flavor.

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 8:06 am

Ummm as far as vegan cheese goes, it’s the best I have tasted. However, I am not vegan, so I ate real cheese last night and left the daiya to the vegans! haha.. nothing compares to the real deal.

lindsay May 29, 2012 at 6:27 am

birthday week! yea!! that means i am not far behind. Love the cuddle pic. You need to squeeze in there. Randy sandwich!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 29, 2012 at 6:27 am

That class sounds like my outdoor boot camp classes! So much fun. There’s so much we can do outside with minimal equipment.
Love the surprise pizza party, too :)

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life May 29, 2012 at 6:41 am

Can’t wait for the buffalo chicken pizza recipe tomorrow!!! Looks and sounds amazing :) My weekend featured homemade pizza as well – with a Vanilla Porter beer crust, topped with prosciutto, figs, and goat cheese. YUM!!!!!!!!! My favorite moment from the weekend though, was spending time with my family relaxing – brother in law came over, inlaws too. We played ladder ball in the backyard, had good conversation, and just relaxed!

Sierra May 29, 2012 at 6:47 am

Sweet or savory is also such a morning decision for me. Usually, I can get by with “sweet” from my coffee, but sometimes I need a real sweet breakfast like pancakes or cereal. Bear crawl…a sure way to make sure nobody is feeling too confident at CrossFit. I have never seen anyone make it look good.

Errign May 29, 2012 at 7:11 am

if you have any padded bike shorts, you should wear them on long motorcycle rides! i have a few pairs that have board shorts over the spandex so they’re a little more comfy for things like that :)

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 8:05 am

I do have a pair! I should have put them on under my jeans, haha

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 29, 2012 at 7:18 am

I think your helmet hair looks HOT!
Seriously.

Michelle May 29, 2012 at 7:38 am

I actually had 2 favorite moments……walking with my Whiskey dog, just the 2 of us in the evening and in the morning I was getting ready for a weekend full of scrapbooking and crafty stuff so I got all my supplies downstairs and ready to go!

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness May 29, 2012 at 7:49 am

Love the action shots!! LOVE them tricep dips ;)
And that kitchen!! Wow it’s beautiful!! I wish mine was big like yours. And that pizza looked divine! I need to head down there and have you cook for me;) hahah

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 8:15 am

The door is open ;)

pure2raw twins May 29, 2012 at 8:32 am

looks like you had a good day! my favorite part of the weekend was hanging out with my family and my little niece! it was a perfect day yesterday for me :)

xoxo
Lori

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 29, 2012 at 8:33 am

haha i remember when i was training and taught a bootcamp we’d do bear crawls and crab walks – hilarious! and seriously such a good workout!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 29, 2012 at 9:00 am

You had a productive day!! I LOVEEEEE your kitchen!! mine is so closed off I hate it. I feel separated from everyone else. I’d love to have an open plan with a little bar like you’ve got. YOur workout looked brutal with all that crawling around. I’m sure you burned your quota of calories!! Pizza night is a fave around our place too and I’ve got to have some Buffalo chx Pizza.. I love Buffalo chx anything!!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 29, 2012 at 9:00 am

I love that Penny’s head is disproportionately small compared to the rest of her.

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

OH MY GOSH. don’t tell her. she has a complex about it because everyone always mentions it….

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

2 things:
1. I love motorcycle rides but absolutely despise helmet hair and the fact that I’m usually forced to wear sneakers and long pants in the summer b/c it’s like 30 degree colder on a bike than when you’re not moving at 70 mph. I was a hot mess after our 4 hour motorcycle trip on Sunday.

2. As I was reading this, your comment on my blog came through. Isn’t that weird how we can be like 2,000 miles apart and reading each others blogs at the same time!? ha.

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

That is so funny! And I totally know what you mean about the pants and shoes. I get so annoyed because I really wanted to wear flip flops yesterday!

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit May 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

Oh man, that buffalo chicken pizza looks amazing. I need to make it!!

Katie May 29, 2012 at 9:48 am

That GPP class looks like so much stinking fun – reminds me of BLEND bootcamp!

Anna May 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

I have to admit, my favorite moment from yesterday was coming home from waitressing, curling up on the couch, and watching the Bachelorette. :)

Lisa May 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

My favorite part of yesterday was being mostly lazy; recovering from a cold. Plus we are in the middle of tropical storm Beryl. I did do some cleaning, laundry and cooking.

RunEatRepeat May 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

I want to go to your next pizza party :)

Eden May 29, 2012 at 11:23 am

Janetha, I LOVE YOUR BLOG:) I have no clue how I stumbled on it over a year and a half ago but I find it addictive!
I love your playing cards wall art in your kitchen… absolutely fabulous, did you make them yourself?

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

no we actually bought them at a local shop here in SLC! but thank you so much for your kind words!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 29, 2012 at 11:38 am

Happy birthday week! Hope your psuedo-Monday is going well! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks May 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I think you get to have a birthday WEEK :) STarting today!!

That workout sounds fun!!

holly (yo soul sista from another much taller curly haired mista) May 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm

ugh, coming back to work today was the WORST! however, this week is filled with fun stuff and it’s YOUR BIRTHDAY on friday. i may or may not have just put something in the mail for you.

p.s. now i want a pancake. PB+J is my fave way to eat them!

love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

you are tooo sweet. hahaha and i love your name.

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident May 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

your kitchen is amazing!! i love it! I would love to cook in that.

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Thank you!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

i’m trying to convince my boyfriend to get a motorcycle! Or at least a Vespa haha

Ps It’s my Birthday week also : )

June 3rd

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Right on! Happy early Bday! That is my brother’s birthday.

Lisa May 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’d say start celebrating now! It’s your birthday week :) Um your breakfast looks absolutely delicious ,love the sweet and savoury mix. PB + J is the best.

B @ Crags and Veggies May 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm

You go girl, glad the workout was so fun! I’m smiling just reading about it! Can’t wait till my outdoor bootcamp starts this summer! Also love the chick on the bike pictures!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Happy Birthday week! It looks like you kicked it off right this weekend. That pizza looks crave-worthy. :)

Calee (@chimes) May 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

That pizza looks yumtastic!

My favorite moment from yesterday was the dog being so tired that he flopped in your arms when you picked him up. The boys kept him up all night Sunday so he was super tired (so was I!)

Confession: I was going to paint a mug for you for Blend but I thought that was creepy. So I didn’t. It was going to say “Janeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetha” (with however many e’s it would take to fill up the entire outside of a mug).

Janetha May 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

That would have been AWESOME. NExt year?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) May 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

this was the PERFECT weekend to do some poutdoors working out…I did as well! I love it! :) so refreshing, right?!

And the pizza looks amazing, I still remember when you first posted about the grilled pizza and have yet to make it but want to now that the grill is being put to use!

Best part of my weekend was celtics game and spending time with my fam OH and packing to move to my new apartment!!

BroccoliHut May 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Aw, Penny is such a cutie!!!

momma b. May 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Love that darling mug!

The best moment of the day was when I went to a viewing of the husband of an old friend – I loved her 15 years ago and I love her today! If my mom was still alive today I like to think she would be a lot like this darling friend, Alta. Sorry for the passing of her husband Ken but so glad got to reconnect with her!

Great day all around!

xoxo

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 29, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Happy Birthday week!!! I’ll make sure to celebrate on Friday in your honor! That pizza looks delish. I wanna come over for dinner!

meggi May 29, 2012 at 7:17 pm

oh my! We used to have crab-walk races when I was younger! Intense! :)

we celebrated my friend MK’s 30th bday with a cookout, games and jello shots ;)

Baking Serendipity May 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I love the buffalo chicken pizza! And that work out looks like such fun :) I do a lot of plain old running, and switching it up a bit would definitely be a welcome change!

jessie ann james May 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm

that workout looks amazing! i need to get my butt up to bountiful and come take a class with you!

Liz May 30, 2012 at 11:02 am

that owl mug MUST be mine:)

Janetha May 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I wish it could–but was handmade!