lazy days & roots cafe.

by Janetha on May 27, 2012

in eating out,family time,moves

hi, guys!

right now i am eating way more trader joe’s tempting trail mix than any human should eat (1/4 cup = a serving, my eye!)

IMG 3678

and my two furry friends are at my feet in their “cave”–they love to hang out under the table.

IMG 3692

it’s sunday afternoon and i thought i would check in since absolutely nothing is going on. no, really. nothing. this has turned out to be the laziest weekend ever–and i am not complaining a bit. it’s nice to not have a weekend jam-packed with plans. we have done a few things, but the majority of the weekend has been spent at home.. in bed.. in the kitchen.. or on the couch. lazy days. tomorrow looks just as lazy. it’s been raining and cold all weekend, so that gives me a good reason to stay inside and laze around all day. at least that’s what i am telling myself.

yesterday was a little less lazy than today. i started my morning at the 8:45 GPP class with kerryne. i know–8:45 on a saturday morning?! who am i?? but i actually had popped out of bed around 7:30 because i went to bed early on friday night and i guess i’m just not used to getting a lot of sleep. i took advantage of the situation and got my workout done early.

NewImage

yesterday’s workout was called lil’ kate because it was lil’ kate’s birthday! happy birthday, girl!! kate works at GPP and i have had the pleasure of working out with her a few times. she is strong, dedicated, and inspiring. she also likes to run.. so the workout had lots of running. ew. i told neil that my birthday is on friday, so the workout better not have ANY running. ha. i don’t love it. but i do love how i feel afterward, so i guess it’s good for me every once in awhile.

after my workout i cleaned up quickly so marshall and i could check out a new spot for brunch.

IMG 3655

my blog friend/reader suzanne had suggested i try  roots cafe. it’s in millcreek and i have absolutely NO idea how i never knew about it before! i thought i was hip to all the hot brunch spots in SLC–guess not!  roots cafe is open for breakfast and lunch, but on the weekend they serve breakfast until 3.  their menu consists of delicious, locally sourced cuisine, specialty coffee and tea, and fresh pressed juices.  marshall and i are all about breakfast food, so we flipped right to that section when we sat down. the breakfast menu is full of all my favorites–huevos rancheros, eggs benedict, and german pancakes. it was hard to decide!

we had fresh orange juice while looking over the menu.

IMG 3658

originally i was planning to order the eggs benedict because i’d been salivating over the description when i read the menu online the other day, but then i saw they had a wide selection of omelets that weren’t on the online menu. i made a last minute decision and ended up ordering one of them. all omelets came with the tasty house potatoes and toast.

IMG 3664

i ordered the garden omelet which was made with three farm fresh eggs and filled with lots of melted cheddar, onion, grilled asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and portabella mushroom.

IMG 3665

this omelet was incredible. i never make omelets filled with so many veggies at home because it’s not very practical to chop up 1/5 of a zucchini or grill two pieces of asparagus–know what i mean?

marshall had the huevos rancheros (over hard) and really enjoyed them.

IMG 3659

i enjoyed that they came in a mini le creuset casserole dish. what a cute touch! i will say this–marshall’s meal was on the small side and he was still hungry when he finished. delicious–no doubt–but the portion could have been bigger.

as we were leaving we ordered some fresh juice to go. there aren’t many places in SLC that offer fresh juice, so i make sure to snag one whenever i see it on the menu.

IMG 3674

i ordered a juice made with beets, apples, carrots, cucumber, and lemon.

IMG 3676

i LOVE beet juice. yes, it tastes kind of like dirt, but in a good way. i wish i wasn’t so lazy because i’d definitely make beet juice at home. there’s no denying that beets take more effort to juice than something like apples or carrots. so for now, i will have to resort to buying beet juice at overpriced juice bars.

the rest of the saturday was spent at home watching reruns of the family feud. we lead a wild life, folks. we can’t be tamed.

you’d think after such a crazy night we wouldn’t be able to pull ourselves out of bed until well past noon, but there was a very special event going on this morning! marshall’s dad, michael, was celebrating his EIGHTEEN YEARS of sobriety.  we headed to the alcoholics anonymous meeting this morning to offer our support and congratulations. i didn’t take any photos at the meeting because that would have been weird, but i did find this classic three-generation photo in my archives! marshall, his dad, and his dad’s dad (at my SIL’s wedding.)

NewImage

congratulations, michael, you are an amazing man and father!!

that was our excitement for the day.. and now it’s back to the couch. although i may attempt to head to a concert with kristen here in a few hours. of monsters and men is playing downtown tonight. i haven’t heard many of their songs, but i do like what i have heard. sounds like a good time!

enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm

We have a Roots Cafe about 3 blocks from our house that sounds very similar. They are all about locally grown and locally made everything. It’s really eclectic and interesting.

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:05 pm

That’s cool! Must be something in the name ;)

Pure2raw twins May 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm

that restaurant looks great! and congrats to Michael!!

Josie May 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm

That omelet DOES look amazing! I eat a lot of zucchini, so I chop up a bunch on Sunday and keep it in one of those ziploc produce bags. It says good for about seven days, then I just measure out what I need for cooking. :o)

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Evan Thomas May 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I need to move right next door to a Trader Joe’s just for that Trail Mix. Actually that’s probably a horrible idea. Lately I’ve really enjoyed Whole Food’s Dark Chocolate Cherry mix, which is basically the same thing except without peanut butter chips and added dark/white chocolate.

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Dude. It should be called addicting trail mix, not tempting. It’s so damn good!

Betsy @ A Dancer In The Kitchen May 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I’m so glad you found Roots! I did my last blog post about my visit there! I’ve been twice but only for lunch so I really need to go for lunch! Last time we went Millcreek was having a gallery stroll type event that was quite fun and they will have there own Farmer’s Market this summer too!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I am sooo excited for the markets to start! There are so many!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’ve been a lazy butt too. Sick..we all are actually. But I’m hoping that tomorrow we wake up healthy and can go boating with Katy.
Congrats to Marshall’s dad – that’s inspiring!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Take me boating! I want to wakeboard!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Mmmm that juice sounds amazing. I actually LOVE beets, so I’d be cool with that too ;)

YAY for lazy time! I wish I had had more of it, but alas, I will soon!

BroccoliHut May 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

This post reminded me of how delicious fresh orange juice can be. I think it’s time to drag out the juicer to make a batch of my own!!

Sara May 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Big congrats to Marshall’s dad on the 18 years sobriety. That is fantastic!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Thanks, I will pass the message along! xo

Marisa May 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm

My girls are very jealous that you are going to that concert! It is pretty cute to see Sofi sing Little Talks!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Your kids are more hip than me. I don’t even know the names of the songs. It was fun! Love you!

Angie @ Pint of Goals May 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have never tried beet juice but I love beets…would I most likely like it? I hope to have a lazy day tomorrow jus like yours today.:)

Marcy May 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Of Monsters and Men are amaaazing! I just started listening to them a couple of weeks ago because they are going to be at a music fest I am going to in Montreal. Have fun!!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Wait til you see them live. It was incredible!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) May 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

nice job getting out of bed that early on a sat! the weekends are precious time for sleepig, so I can totally understand that its hard to set an alarm to get up to be somewhere early! I bet it was so worth it though! those classes you describe sound awesome!

3 egg omelet??! packed with veggies…HELLOOOOO LOVER looks amazing, Janetha!!

Maren May 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That’s amazing!!! Congrats to Marshall’s dad! Nate and I are lazy this weekend too because we both caught a cold/flu. We have fevers, chills, coughs, stuffy noses, and exploding heads. It’s awesome.

I would LOVE to see Of Monsters and Men in concert. I really enjoy their music! Hope you have a good Memorial Day tomorrow being lazy! :)

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Hope you guys feel better! xoxo

The Delicate Place May 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm

oohhh that’s a really good trail mix. one of my fave juice combos there as well! i have never heard that band before, are they local?

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

They are from Iceland!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

i LOVE of monsters and men! I’ve been introducing them to many people and everyone seems to love them just as much. I MUST see them live!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

You must. They were fab.

cathy@1970kikiproject May 27, 2012 at 7:50 pm

congratulations to marshall’s dad. eighteen years – his length of sobriety is very inspiring.
family feud is the best!!
enjoy the rest of your weekend, j!

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thank you!! Have a great Monday, Cathy! xo

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm

roast a whole lot of veggies for dinner the night before, save some for the next day for your omelet. thats what i do :)

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I need to do that! Any time I roast veggies I accidentally eat them all…

katie May 27, 2012 at 8:36 pm

What a great weekend!! and that omelet looks AWESOME! I love omelets that are full of veggies and cheese- yumm

Neil May 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I’m going up stairs to make an omelet right now.

There is NO WAY you can hate running with as good as you are at running.

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You’re just being nice. I am a snail!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I want the omelet and Marshall’s breakfast…YOM!

Rachel May 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

You’re right. No human should EVER eat 1/4 cup of trail mix. They would surely explode.

I must be undeserving of the “human” title, since I’ve eaten 1/2 the bag before.

P.S. Your restrictions are ridiculous and you promote a lot of unnecessary food/exercise guilt. Just thought you should know.

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I think you misunderstood–I was knocking the fact that the suggested serving size for trail mix is 1/4 cup. Who EVER eats ONLY 1/4 cup of trail mix?!?! Answer=nobody. And the opening line about eating more trail mix than any human should eat was simply an exaggeration to say I was eating a shitload of trail mix. Lighten up, it was a joke.

As for your P.S.–last time I checked, working out for 30 minutes or less 5-6 days a week was not promotional of exercise guilt. In fact, my workout the other day took eight minutes.. and I then sat on my ass the rest of the day.. and ate lots of delicious food. Not sure what blog you are reading, but I can assure you I don’t restrict my food nor do I promote excessive exercise. In fact, I am just the opposite. I struggle with over-eating on a daily basis and I have to push myself to get a workout in–I’d much rather stay in bed. Sorry you got the wrong impression.

Carly May 27, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Congrats to Marshalls Dad! My best friend just celebrated 3 years of sobriety…I can’t wait to celebrate 18 with him.

Hope you made it to the concert, I would LOVE to see them! Sadly, no band ever comes to my small farm town. However we do get a ton of Elvis impersonators. (Not even kidding)

Janetha May 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Congrats to your best friend! That is freaking rad. Also, I just got home from the show and it was good! You should come to SLC and listen to some live music with me sometime :) Then I can come to your town for Elvis–that’s too funny! Love it!

Baking Serendipity May 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I can’t even look at the serving size for trail mix or granola any more. I know it’s no where near what I’m actually consuming…

Khushboo May 27, 2012 at 11:36 pm

When it comes to trail mix, I like to make up my own serving size as I go along- much more realistic :)! Congrats to Marshall’s dad- 18 years of sobriety is a huge achievement!

meg May 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm

My dogs like to hang out under the table too. Silly guys. I really like that rug you have underneath your table!

Christie May 28, 2012 at 3:04 am

Love the collage instagrams. Too cute!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie May 28, 2012 at 6:33 am

beet juice?! i have never tried that before. looks good though! congrats to your father in law. Happy memorial day :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

Congrats to Marshall’s dad!! :) Looks like a fun weekend. I love beet juice too! I knew we were meant to be friends! :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

I avoid buying trail mix solely for the 1/4 cup serving size issue. It ends up being a bit of a problem! Sounds like a fun weekend though! :) I need to scope out a fresh juice bar here–I have never tried it before!

Katie May 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yes, I totally get the beet juice = dirt = delicious anyway. I think beets are kind of like that in general – not just the juice.

Glad you had a reeeelaxing weekend, my dear! <3

Amy May 28, 2012 at 9:56 am

Is that a basset hound on the left? I have a basset who will be 16 next month, they are the best dogs!

Amy May 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

Oops! I meant on the right!

peach May 28, 2012 at 11:24 am

Congratulations to Marshall’s dad, that truly is an amazing accomplishment!

meggi May 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

sounds like the perfect holiday weekend thus far! Congratulations to Michael! That is truly amazing! My grandpa was very much into AA and went to meetings even if he was out of town. He was sober over 60 years when he finally passed away in his late 90s.

And PS> I adore of monsters and men! Been listening to their cd on repeat for a good month or so. :)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That cafe looks so awesome! I swear, there are not any of these cute little places where I live, no matter where I live, lol. I never make omelets either. Sometimes I think about it, but then once I crack an egg I just put it right in the pan.

Lisa May 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I also hate running, but that looks like a good workout! Honestly, I’d probably replace the running with jump rope haha. Prefer that WAY more than to run! Congrats to Marshall’s dad, that is seriously amazing! I was a little lazy this weekend too, but I’m using the excuse that I felt sick.

b @ Crags and Veggies May 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Wow, the vegetables in the omelet look amazing!

Calee May 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This was totally a lazy weekend for me too! Saturday I mandated that we stay in bed until at least noon … or until I hit a great spot in my book to stop. I woke up and my knee killed from kickboxing, so I skipped the awesome TRX bootcamp I like to go to at 9:30 AM on Saturdays (8:45??? YUCK!).

I got the boys addicted to 90210 on Netflix. I wasn’t supposed to mention that. But it happened.

And last night one of the roommate’s friends ( who is the loudest person ALIVE I swear ) came over about an hour past my bedtime, and continued to be hella loud until 4 AM. So, needless to say, I spent today sleeping and being lazy as well. ;)

Also … dumb question … is Marshall’s family Greek? Italian?

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 29, 2012 at 6:14 am

CONGRATS to Marshall’s dad!! I love the photo from your wedding- that is so cool! Neither Greg nor I have had any grandparents living for a long time- I would have loved to have a photo like that if we did!
We had no plans for the whole weekend except to have family over Monday. It was SO NICE to just do “whatever” or nothing. And to sleep in for three days in a row was just what the doctor ordered.
I never get that trail mix. I’d eat the whole bag- it is the BEST

ali moll May 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I’ve heard fabulous things about Roots, but we haven’t been able to get there yet! Thanks for the reminder! Sounds like a fab relaxing weekend! Not sure I’m happy or sad that I missed the GPP workouts! ;)