mothers day + check in.

by Janetha on May 13, 2012

in family time,fun with friends,random rambles

hola!

happy mother’s day to you and you and you. and to momma b.

guess what? i filmed a video! i am looking haggard in it and sound like a man. what can i say? i keep it real.

to recap (for those of you who opted not to watch 10 minutes of haggard me):

• happy mother’s day!
  • i’ve been sick–i sound like a man.
  • move more in may entries can’t be your workout–it’s for movement OUTSIDE of your workout.
  • the next blend retreat is in may 2013! location TBA and you do NOT have to be a blogger to come.
  • my guts still suck and i’m in pain right now. i will be getting some more tests done soon.
  • i start the fitmixer bootcamp tomorrow! i’m excited. i rambled about it a lot.
things from the video i told you i’d post:

i went out with friends last night to celebrate a few birthdays. it was a good time, but i remember why i don’t go out. i am old and if i stay up past my bedtime, i tend to sleep past noon the next day.

NewImageNewImage
NewImageNewImage

sorry to my instagram followers for the repeat photos.

it was a BEAUTIFUL day today, so marshall & i took the bike up to my parents’ place.

NewImage

i packed my mom’s present, 4 bags of baby potatoes, 2 pounds of fish, greek yogurt dill dip, and 2 bottles of salad dressing all in one backpack on my back! i had my camera slung around me, too. it wasn’t bad at all. this makes me happy because now i see many trips to the farmers market this summer with a backpack and the motorcycle. it’s so convenient! the only downside is the helmet hair…

IMG 9484IMG 9485

i threw the potatoes in the oven to roast right when we got to my parents’. they had to be in the oven for about 45 minutes, so that left plenty of free time to play a word game with my mom. we usually play boggle, but she recently snagged scribbage so we played a few rounds of that. it’s a way fun game! and no, i didn’t let her beat me. i know it’s mother’s day, but come on…

IMG 9479

at least she looked beautiful as she lost.

the rest of the fam arrived and we finished dinner prep. there was green salad, the roasted potatoes, and grilled salmon, corvina, and steak.

IMG 3235IMG 3247IMG 3240IMG 3244

i couldn’t decide between salmon and steak, so i went with a little of each!

IMG 3252

dessert is mandatory. one of our favorite desserts is my mom’s strawberry shortcake–mainly because of the fresh whipped cream.

IMG 3257

think she made enough?? this kills me.

IMG 3260

i know some people use biscuits for strawberry shortcake, but we have always had it with angel food cake. i love the stuff–so light and fluffy.

IMG 3267

it was the perfect ending to a delicious meal.

as we were leaving, i asked marshall to snap a photo of me and my mom. we are both sick.. and both have issues blinking at the camera.. this is the best we got.

IMG 3278

ha. love you so much, mom!

OH–one last thing before i go! chobani made an awesome mother’s day collage and momma b & i were featured in it! so cool.

NewImage
(source: facebook.com/chobanichampions)

did you spot us? thanks, chobani!

well, that’s a wrap! sorry this post was kind of all over the place (as was my video)–it takes me a minute to get back into the groove of regular life and regular blog posting!

have a great monday. make sure you move more!

Sana May 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Awww adore your husband’s mini bun!

Momma b May 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Another great day! I’m a lucky and loved momma b with such an awesome family!

Get well soon and come back so I can kick your butt in scribbage :)

Thanks for a perfect celebration….I love you!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm

My mom’s strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites too! She doesn’t make her own whipped cream but it’s still pretty darn delicious!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 13, 2012 at 10:49 pm

i’m so sorry you’re sick! but super stoked about blend2013 and hearing about the fitmixer bootcamp!

happy mother’s day to you AND to mommaB!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Happy mothers day to momma B! Great work on the food…it all looks amazing. My mom’s birthday and mothers day are one day apart so we made sure to pamper her over the weekend. Chocolate cake was a must….yum yum.

Oh and so totally can’t believe I won the prize for blog birthday!!!!! So excited! Thanks a billion :)

Pete Nott May 14, 2012 at 4:26 am

Looks like the perfect mother’s day!
Those potatoes look amazing, I really like the skin on. Plus there’s almost nothing better than steak… oh wait, yes there is, FISH! :D

Lauren May 14, 2012 at 4:45 am

Looks like a wonderful Mothers Day! We grilled out too but failed to have strawberry short cake. Damn that would have been a good idea. :)

Have a lovely week lady!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 14, 2012 at 5:22 am

We do angel food cake for strawberry short cake too! Except for my MIL makes gooey pound cake for it – oh my gosh.

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

Your “always take the stairs” has really reminded me to do that again – I love the extra movement and something about stair climbing always gets me!

Calee (@chimes) May 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

Is it bad that I always take the stairs because I’m scared to death of elevators (and you guys all wondered why I didn’t fly to blend!)

Alex @ therunwithin May 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Oh gosh homemade whipped cream is to die for!

lindsay May 14, 2012 at 7:31 am

you are adorable, even with the man voice. Oh and move more may.. DANG! I need to get it on it. I am doing sqauts now as i type. COOL?

lindsay May 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

p.s.
I just did some ot those test that you did. Sheesh we are a good pair!

Erin May 14, 2012 at 7:45 am

aww, happy mothers day to momma b! you two are so cute together.

our family also does angel food cake for shortcake. my aunt, who married into my dad’s side, once brought a “regular white cake” for shortcake. that didn’t go over well. (joking…) (not really…) she knows to bring the angel food now!

beatriceqq May 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

know what i wanna say? i really think you’re so real a person.
especially in videos, super real and kind instead of being a “online girl”…and you talk like so real a person, uhh i’m blah blah blah i dunno what i’m saying, but ur blog make me feel good in internet!!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 14, 2012 at 8:12 am

I spotted you- and Kelly! Yay! I will need to check out your video at home- since I can’t access Youtube at work (DUMB!).
I will definitely be at Blend next year and my vote is SAME PLACE. But man- looks like I’m going to have to sign up the moment registration opens since so many more people are going to come (and I’m personally hoping it’s still small like this year!)
I’m with you on the shortcake too- I’d take angel food any day!

Carly May 14, 2012 at 8:42 am

Love your vlogs.

You and your Momma are so cute, what a great Mommas day. Your Mom doesn’t mess around with whipped cream. My mom lives a ferry ride away (a hella expensive ferry ride away), so I’m jealous of every one who got to spend it with their moms!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

Homemade whipped cream is the best! :) What a fun Mother’s day! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio May 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

What a fun weekend and day with your Mom!! I love how close you two are!

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs May 14, 2012 at 10:21 am

Tip for helmet hair: pin your bangs up and back so when you take off the helmet and take out the pins, they fall forward again and still have some life in them. It also works for winter hats :)

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life May 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yay Chobani mothers’ day celebrations!! Babycakes and I are in there too (bottom black and white) when she was only 8 days old. My mom was sick all Mothers’ Day weekend too :( Like in her room, not coming out for 2 days kind of sick… it was such a bummer!

glidingcalm May 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

oh man! I wish I could jump into that whipped cream! lawl.

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTAAAAAAAA

Erica May 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I hope you feel better! You look so darn cute in your motorcycle helmet! Mother’s day food=drool! I want the potatoes and the whipped cream ;). I think BLEND 2013 should be in Charleston!!

Lisa May 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You and your mom are beautiful! Sounds like a fab day with your mama! I’m sorry about the gut problems still causing you issues, they are no fun at all.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You didn’t sound too sick but I hope you’re feeling better. I have chronic gut problems happening as well. <<>>

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Can Blend be in LATE may next year? So I can go this time :)

meggi May 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm

how fun! I love that y’all rode his motorcycle to Mother’s Day festivities! Man, I have been wanting to go to Tastemakers! We’ll be in St. George on Friday so I have been debating about whether it is worth it for one day. Hope you are feeling better today!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I miss you. Like A LOT! :(

Pure2raw twins May 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

love the recap, good luck with all the new stomach tests!! thinking of you always. you are a lot better than man in getting tests and all. maybe one day I will get my ass in gear ;)

love ya,
M

Annette@FitnessPerks May 14, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Wahoo! I spotted you :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) May 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

look at yu harley girl!! my ex had a harley and i LOVEDD that thing, I think a bit more than him lol!

Calee (@chimes) May 15, 2012 at 8:21 am

Love the random rambles. Usually when I try to do a video like this the dog has to make a random appearance.

I was wondering about your GI issues. You know, because I apparently like to hear about pooping. But seriously, I really hope that you get something figured out soon … and that you don’t get stuck having to take meds all the time that have other crappy side effects (no pun intended, but I just giggled a bit).

I feel your pain with the GI stuff. I thought I had it all figured out with eliminating gluten. It helps TREMENDOUSLY.

But I still have random bouts of WTF did I eat to deserve this stomachache? I spent Sunday night / Monday AM on the floor of my bathroom texting with Mark who was 3 hours away trying to convince me to go to the ER (yeah, the one time I’m home alone in over a year, and this happens). I had the worst pain ever and I’d emptied everything out (from both ends. I know that’s gross. but seriously — sometimes I wish I was a frog so I could pull out my stomach and remove its contents). I don’t have a CLUE what I ate. Or what would have caused that. All I know is that I don’t want that to ever happen again. Stupid GI system.

holly (yo soul sista from another much taller curly haired mista) May 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

JANETHA BEAN!

I just read all your Blend recaps! Ugh, I just cannot even begin to explain how sad I am that I wasn’t there! You ladies did SUCH a fabulous job putting it together – it looked like FUN! I am so happy to have been a small part of it, and I promise we are getting all that logo stuff figured out for next year.

In fact, I’ve already done a few mock-ups to improve it :)

A couple things…
(1) You met Chobani Emily. I am jealous.
(2) You got to hang with Katie, Susan and Lindsay AND get pedicures. Also, jealous.
(3) Shenanigans. I would have been right in on shenanigans.
(4) Can I help plan for next year?!

LOVE YOU!

P.S. Election was fine. I quit my job! Eeep! Deets to come :)

Shana May 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Dude, you have some serious pull at Chobani! Today they posted a pic on their Facebook page that they now have a flavor 3-pack in Costco! Janetha speaks, Chobani reacts. ;)

Stacey October 2, 2012 at 4:51 am

How’s ur gut babe? I’m having issues here as well. Can I email u? Thank u for having this blog! Xoxo

Janetha October 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

Sure you can email me. My guts are bad!