friday night fun – blend 2012.

by Janetha on May 9, 2012

in BLEND

hello! well, i woke up with a full-blown sore throat. boo to sickness. i swear, EVERY time i get home from a trip i get sick. i need to work on that whole immune system thing. mine fails. anyway, i can’t afford to miss work with all the high drama and catching up going on, so i played through it and had another busy day today. i’ve decided to give my body a rest and won’t be working out until i feel a bit more healthy and functional. i am an expert at rest days! you don’t have to twist my arm, i will gladly lounge on the couch all evening and blog about blend.

so, back to blend! i left off on friday night. after a speedy get-ready session in my room, i walked to the dining hall for the cocktail hour. i think we did a pretty nice job cleaning up considering how busy we’d been all day!

katie~lindsay~moi

the cocktail hour was sponsored by core power.

i will be honest, i thought that core power was actually a bar and not a drink until a few days before the retreat. in my defense, they were lindsay’s contact, not mine! ha. they had all their delicious flavors of ready-to-drink protein shakes on display along with an enticing offer for all attendees.
IMG_3686IMG_3687IMG_2841
IMG_3688IMG_3689

there were also a few hors d’oeuvres for attendees to nibble on before dinner started.

IMG_2849IMG_2845IMG_2846

lindsay had a pretty monumental experience—she had her first cocktail in seven years! i guess she was getting the seven year itch and had to scratch it.

IMG_2851IMG_2850

the cocktail hour ZOOMED by. next year it needs to be a cocktail 90 minutes. not as catchy, but way better for face time with new friends!  i did chat with a few folks in the short amount of time.

i finally got to meet heather in person and she is just as fantastic as i’d expected. i stalk her blog regularly. creeper alert.

i also visited with ashley and kelsey for a bit. stole this photo from ash’s instagram!

i was so excited to see ashley again (met her at foodbuzz awhile back) and to meet kelsey for the first time! she has a pup named penny, too. we were meant to be friends.

i spent the remaining minutes of the cocktail hour talking to alicia and steve from fitmixer, who happen to live RIGHT by me and marshall, are dog-obsessed, love brunch, and own a motorcycle. yes, i can see us having a double date in the very near future!

we all headed to the dining area to sit down for dinner. katie, lindsay, and i stood awkwardly up front an waited for everyone to sit down so we could say a few welcoming words.
imageimage
photos courtesy edibleperspective.com & heathersdish.com.

after i thanked our awesome sponsors, linds told a heartfelt tale about how blend came to be, and katie the cake girl gave a shpill about our awesome cupcakes (more on that in a bit), it was time to eat! after eating eggs & toast for lunch and tons of swag (chips, bars, granola) for lunch, all i wanted was a vegetable!! i was ready to eat!

courtesy of lindsay’s iphone that’s not really a phone.

the meal started with a salad and a roll which i inhaled in probably 73 seconds flat.

i walked around and snapped shots of each table while waiting for the main course.

IMG_2873IMG_2866IMG_2867IMG_2869IMG_2870IMG_2872

such beautiful people!!

i drank a lot of water between the salad and the main course, but had a hard time getting my glass refilled. i took matters into my own hands on more than one occasion.

fill ‘er up!

the main course was chicken, quinoa, and broccoli.

not the best photo, but to be honest (which i always am) it was not the best meal. yep, i said it. this meal was just okay. sure, it tasted good, and i was happy to finally be eating an actual meal, but it wasn’t great. i felt like i could have cooked something better myself. i was kind of bummed since i knew the food was one of the main things we wanted to wow people with at the retreat, but we had no control over the situation since the meal had to be provided by chautauqua’s kitchen.

the vegan/gluten free option was pasta with marinara, and i hate to say that it was pretty bad. for this being a fancy meal, the dish was far from fancy.

i’ll be honest, i felt bad for the vegan and gluten free folks who had this as their dinner. i felt like we let them down with the dish.

but guess what? the dessert TOTALLY made up for any shortcomings the main dishes had.

CUPCAKES!

dessert was five flavors of miniature cupcakes made my street fare, a nonprofit bakery that donates all proceeds to the boulder homeless shelter. what an amazing company! and their cupcakes were all ridiculously gourmet.

we had the attendees vote on flavors and then linds, katie, and i each picked one. here’s what we ended up with:

IMG_2827IMG_2828IMG_2816IMG_2820
FYI: the junkyard is street fare’s version of carrot cake.

the best part is that they were able to make ALL FIVE flavors as a vegan & gluten free version so everyone was able to try everything.

each person only got three cupcakes and there were five flavors, so i paired up with susan and halved each flavor with her so we could try them all. the raspberry lavender was our favorite by far, so we went back for one more of those. delicious!

the cupcakes were definitely the hit of the evening. i am so glad lindsay randomly stumbled upon the bakery at the boulder farmers’ market just weeks before the retreat.

as you can see, calee really, REALLY liked them.

crop

we spent awhile chatting after all the cupcakes had been devoured. it was so fun to mix and mingle with all the lovely ladies i’ve been virtual friends with for so long!!

alyssa~moi~ashley~courtney
photo courtesy sweettoothsweetlife.com

i was spent by 10 PM, so i called it a night and zonked out pretty early. this was a good thing, because saturday was jam-packed with a whole lot of action. which, of course, will be covered in my next post.

i realize several of you may be bored with seeing blend retreat recaps on various blogs, but i intend to recap the full weekend janetha-style. this is for selfish reasons, to tell you the truth. i am forgetful, and documenting the weekend in detail will help me remember all the fantastic things that happened! if you are rolling your eyes and just want me to talk about a new recipe, my latest workout (which is nonexistent), or my dogs.. you should probably come back next week when things are back to normal around here. but if you enjoy these recaps, please stay and read my ramblings! thanks for understanding. and thanks for reading!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm

were the cupcakes gluten free?! They look so good!

Amanda May 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Janetha, I love all your posts, and I am especially loving your Blend re-caps! I wish I could have come, but it was the weekend my sister got married! Darn that sister!

Lauren May 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Shut up! Kelsey was there! Man I missed a fantastic weekend. PS- is your dress from Express? I have the same one and LOVE it! :) You of course look fantastic my dear.

Janetha May 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm

it is! and thank you :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 9, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I echo your disclaimer in the last paragraphs. It’s going to take me about 5 posts to get everything out, and I need to do it now or I’ll forget it. And you might know (like you) how detail-oriented I am. :)
I thought the chicken was good- not WOW, but I liked it. But honestly- I REALLY liked the broccoli- it may have been the most perfectly cooked broccoli I’ve ever had. And I didn’t think the pasta dished looked great at all (and thanks for being honest!). I came to cocktail hour 30 minutes late- d’oh!
And omg- that photo of Calee is AWESOME! I love her!!!

Calee May 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

Ditto on that — I did love the quinoa. And the pesto on the table was great on the dish!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 9, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’m so sad I wasn’t able to make it but I”m having a nice time reading all these recaps! I hope you put in a lot of work next year so I can go!!!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I don’t think people were disappointed with the chicken and quinoa…I heard it was awesome!
I seriously love reading all these reviews! Yours especially, since you’ve explained in the most detail so far

kelsey May 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm

mmmmmmmmmm those cupcakes! I would like 87 more of the cinnamon coffee in my mouth right. now.

I hear cupcakes cure colds.

BroccoliHut May 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I can’t decide which is cuter–those mini cupcakes or your striped dress! Looks like an awesome evening!

emily May 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’m enjoying the recaps, though they are making me jealous as hell! It seems like you guys did a great job. I wanna be able to go next year!! (is a next year in the cards?)

Pure2raw twins May 9, 2012 at 8:08 pm

looks like a great weekend! we are so sad that we missed it :( maybe next year. thanks for allowing us to put something in the bags this year. we had fun doing it.
xoxo

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 10, 2012 at 8:26 am

um, BTW.. those chia brownie bites are UNREAL. I’m currently brainstorming how I can recreate the masterpieces, but I’m anticipating a big fat fail.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

I love your recaps. Don’t let them ever end, okay, bang twin?

…that sounds dirty.

sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Please recap everything!!! I’m loving it! I’ve been bouncing around all these great blogs I follow getting to live the weekend through them! I’m so there next yr!! I can’t wait.

momma b. May 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I LOVE the recaps and all of the ramblings! Keep em coming! You look so great in that dress – stunning!
xoxo

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm

the pasta was ok… but that lavender cupcake was the BEST… and i am typically a chocolate person.

thank you again for organizing such a fabulous weekend. i’m a little sad we aren’t doing it all over again THIS weekend. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

courtesy of lindsay’s iphone that’s not really a phone.
bahahahaha

and you KNOW I love the recaps…bring ’em.

Emily R May 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Blend 2012 seriously looks like so much fun! Definitely want to go next year! (also, hope you feel better!)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Great recap! Gosh, I seriously had SUCH a good time!! Can’t wait to do it again :-D

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life May 9, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I really liked my chicken/quinoa/broccoli/pearl onions a lot! So no worries, k? And I just have to say… that pic of you with the cupcakes is TOOOOOOO CUTE. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm

ah i love that picture of us! stealing :)

and you KNOW i was so excited to finally meet you in person. we need to head out to salt lake soon!

Maren May 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

MAN This is making me wish I was able to come!!! and I will be much closer to boulder next year, so if you need help, I’d be MORE than willing you come a day early and help!!

What a success for you ladies! So pumped for ya!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 9, 2012 at 10:54 pm

i LOVE the recaps! (though that could be because I was there…hehe!)
And I also loved stumbling upon the cupcake bakers at the farmer’s market on saturday because we were able to thank them for the super awesome and delicious cupcakes. Think I can get them to ship to SoCal? ;)

Alice May 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Those cupcakes look yum! I wonder if they used sugar or an alternative sweetener when baking these. For my vegan cupcakes, I usually use Natvia, an all natural sweetener that tastes and feels like sugar so you don’t have to worry about it affecting the taste of what you are baking.

Neil May 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Feel better soon!

Sierra May 10, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love the full recap…you make me feel like I was there! Keep it coming…

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 10, 2012 at 4:55 am

You all look so gorgeous! Sorry the food was such a let down though…but like you said you had little control. At least the cupcakes were a hit!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 10, 2012 at 5:17 am

Hahaha! That photo of Calee is priceless.

And yea, the meal was just okay and I was so happy I went with the chicken instead of pasta. I don’t care though. The weekend itself and company more than made up for it. We all had enough awesome swag to satisfy if needed after dinner, as well. ;)

Calee May 10, 2012 at 6:36 am

I think the cupcakes more than made up for the dinner. You all did a great job with everything! I can’t believe it’s over. I’m sure it’s weird getting back to “real life” not planning Blend anymore. ;)

I’m in for planning for next year if you want/need help. I think I told Lindsay that I’m pretty talented at getting things from vendors. Plus, I’m going to bet most things are cheapest in Iowa.

Feel better! I saw on IG that it looks like Marshall (who I continuously want to refer to as Marshmallow because of How I met Your Mother) made you some great sick food.

Danielle May 10, 2012 at 6:43 am

those cupcakes look so good. Everytime I see them on a blog I want one! (:
Looks like a great event. Congrats!

elise May 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

cupcakes to the rescue!!!!!!

you guys are all so adorable. even though im insanely jealous i didnt get to hang with you, its still fun reading your recap.

oh and lindseys 7 years without booze? umm, how is that possible? does that mean cocktails only or literally no alcohol. loco.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) May 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

i love the stamped cupcake signs. i could have eaten the cupcakes! omg. reason enough i should have gone ha ;) oh yeah and also to see you :) hope you feel better soon!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 10, 2012 at 8:20 am

I LOVE all the little cupcakes!! They look tasty too :)

Love your dress btw. Where is it from?!

Andrea May 10, 2012 at 8:22 am

Blend looks like it was amazing!! I have a weird question/request. It looks like you guys had a unique bunch at this event not the same bloggers that I follow or are represented at other events. I am always looking for new people to follow so I was wondering if you had a list of the blog addresses of the bloggers who attended.

Calee May 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

http://www.blendretreat.com — click on “who’s coming”

Carly May 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

I love the recaps, it looks like such a great time! If you plan on holding it again, I might actually buck up and attend.

Feel better!!

nicole May 10, 2012 at 8:42 am

Those cupcakes look delic! and I like reading about the Blend event :-)
Where is your striped dress from – love it!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 10, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m so boring people too (although I threw in a recipe to try to help today!), but it’s my blog, right?! :)

And no, the vegan dish wasn’t awesome. But no, you didn’t let me down. It’s hard in a catering environment to get awesome food for everyone and I REALLY appreciated you guys making sure we have vegan dinner! And yes, the cupcakes totally made the dinner! =)

Jess May 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hey – if you ask me, as long as the cupcakes were delish, who cares if the rest of the meal wasn’t AS stellar as you hoped, right?? mmmm cupcakes ;-)
ps I realllllly need to get to Blend next year. SO WANT!

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness May 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

Love your re-caps! It makes me feel like I was there!! Sorry to hear the food wasn’t stellar but in good company, I’m sure it didn’t matter!! :)

Tamara May 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love the recaps… not bored at all!! I’m living vicariously, so bring them on!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables May 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

I LOVE the re-caps! Looks like such a fun time!

meggi May 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

Love the recaps! I think it is amazing that you gave people a vegan option! I find that banquet type settings usually have less than stellar food so I am sure people were just happy to have an option :) And those cupcakes! YUM! :)

Maggie May 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

I love the recaps!! It looks like it was a ton of fun :) and those cupcakes look amazing.

Lisa May 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love these posts, makes me feel like I was there..kinda. I just hope I can come next year. I hope your feeling better quickly!

Justine@LifeWithCheeseburgers May 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m definitely enjoying the recaps too! And–totally wanting to make some mini cupcakes now!!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Everyone has been posting beautiful recaps. I am IN for next year!

Alison May 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I LOVE hearing about all your adventures! I was super sad that I couldn’t make the retreat but can’t wait to hear all about it!

jessie ann james May 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm

wow!! so many awesome adventures! I’m so glad that all of your hard work payed off! I hope there is a blend 2013 because i am so there:)