the not so calm before the storm.

by Janetha on May 8, 2012

in BLEND,fun with friends

blend started on friday, but i got to colorado on thursday. there was plenty of prepping to be done before the retreat! lucky for me, katie lives in denver and offered to pick me up from the airport, buy me coffee, feed me lunch, and give me a bath. okay, maybe not that last part, but she’s a very hospitable lady!  and, boy, was i glad to finally meet her in person after all these years. katie has been my blog friend since 2009.

my dear friend susan got into denver the same time i did and we didn’t even plan it! perfect timing. we all headed to katie’s house and waited for lindsay to get there. lindsay is living in boulder for a month.  rough life…

while we waited on lindsay, katie fed us grilled cheese sandwiches and carrot sticks. katie’s neighbor, tona, has been reading my blog for a long time now and we have become internet friends. she was able to come over thursday afternoon so we could finally meet. it was fantastic and we all chatted nonstop! lindsay eventually arrived and i pounced on her. literally. i was just so excited to finally see linds in the flesh.

aaaand i just realized i have zero photos of any of these events, and i am pretty bummed i didn’t snap a shot with tona before she left katie’s place. :(

katie, susan, lindsay, and i headed to the salon for manicures and pedicures. it was nice to get in a little pampering before the wild, nonstop weekend started.

IMG 9126IMG 9128

as you can see, katie and linds had their sweet little girls in tow. baby A and clara are both stunning! they are going to drive the boys wild later in life.

IMG 2735

after our pampering session we headed to a nearby mall for a little last minute shopping. lindsay had never been to a forever 21.. ever.. and the one at this mall was ridiculously huge. you can imagine how overwhelming that was for her!  all that shopping made us hungry, so we headed to the white chocolate grill for dinner. i figured i’d be food blogging all weekend, so i skipped snapping shots of dinner.

believe it or not, i went to bed at 9:30 PM on thursday night! that is probably the earliest i have zonked out in years. it had been a long day and i knew i would need as much energy as possible for the upcoming events.

friday morning i popped out of bed at 6 AM (i actually woke up at 4 AM and then 5 AM before getting up once and for all at 6 AM.. i am not used to getting so much sleep!) katie has a home gym in her garage and i used it to complete the GPP workout of the day. no excuses!

IMG 9139

a quick 20 minute workout was the best way to start my day. although by that last round of busters i wanted to head back to bed!!

sweet katie had a tasty breakfast (complete with coffee) ready for me in no time.

IMG 2740

it’s official, she makes the BEST eggs. the yolks were cooked to perfection. i am not just being nice.

IMG 2741

she said the trick is to put a little water in the pan and cover with a lid. this way you cook the whites and the yolks are over-easy and there is no flipping required. i can’t wait to try this myself!

we didn’t waste any time after breakfast. we immediately started packing up all the swag to make the journey from denver to boulder.

IMG 2743

we even recruited baby A to help out!

IMG 2750

after katie’s husband played a little tetris with the boxes of swag, we were off! we made a quick pit stop at costco to stock up on a few items needed for the weekend and then got to our final destination–chautauqua!

IMG 2797

we chose chautauqua as the location for blend because it is made up of several individual cottages. we were all able to have our own little spaces while still being together as a big group. blend headquarters was the missions house–a big lodge with 8 rooms, 9 bathrooms, a kitchen, and a commons area.

IMG 2802IMG 2780

we immediately got to work setting up the headquarters. there were signs to hang, registration details to be worked out, and swag bags to pack.

IMG 3681IMG 3680
IMG 2794IMG 2812IMG 2776IMG 2760

oh. swag bag packing. that was probably the most tedious, chaotic task of the whole weekend! luckily we had a LOT of helpers. it was a madhouse trying to get them put together in time!

IMG 2754IMG 3673IMG 2758IMG 9143

we were actually really surprised with how much swag we ended up with. HUGE thanks to all the sponsors who donated!!

IMG 2786IMG 2765

we took a time out and lindsay gave katie & i the CUTEST hand-knit custom-made mug sweaters.. mine had a dumbbell for meals & moves and katie’s had a cake for yes i want cake!

IMG 2772

lindsay also snagged me a mini spoon at the boulder farmers’ market. i loooove little things!

IMG 2771

thanks, linds, you’re so dang thoughtful.

the afternoon flew by (and i ended up eating swag for lunch–thanks to nuts about granola, the simply bar, twin cakes bakery, popchips, and lush nuts!) and before we knew it, it was time for registration!

i took in a split-second of calm before everyone arrived and was able to capture a beautiful shot of blend headquarters.

IMG 2805

and then.. it was time to work some more!

IMG 3684

we checked in all the blend attendees between 4 and 5:48.. and then realized that the cocktail hour was starting in 12 minutes so we’d better bust our butts to get ready for the meet & greet and dinner! which, of course, i will be recapping in my next post. because this one is long enough already.

i think that for blend 2013 i will come a couple days early instead of just one…

in other news, i feel like crud. i have a sore throat, a headache, and my whole body aches. i think this is due to the combination of traveling, working out more than i am used to, lack of sleep, and having one of the most stressful days EVER back at my day job. that’s my story and i’m sticking to it. for some reason, i have the tendency to get sick when i return home from a trip. it’s lame. my body needs to get with the program and realize i can’t afford to get sick when trying to play catch up. i popped a bunch of vitamin C and am drinking OJ. cross your fingers i wake up feeling better!

Krystina May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I have nothing of importance to contribute other than I LOVE THAT I LOVE LUCY MUG!

and Susan looks beautiful.

Susan May 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You made me blush Krystina, thank you!! There have been several Blend photos I didn’t even notice I was in because I’m not used to seeing the short hair!

Krystina May 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

It’ll grow into an adorable little pixie cut! Own it, girl. :)

Bonnie May 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Wow…so much work on the backside to pull an event off, hey? We’ve organized many so we always try to thank the event planners because it’s so much work! Especially for an event like this…Loved the many helping hands, cute Baby A in that box photo, and seeing some of the behind the scenes of the event! I seriously cannot wait for next year – although I am dreaming of somehow seeing you ladies before then…I will keep dreaming. ;) Feel better, friend! Love you lots and appreciate just who YOU are!

lindsay May 9, 2012 at 5:22 am

me too me too! i feel like i want to steal you all away and take you on a vacation, well Bonnie, you just got back but i bet you could use another.
JG, rest up. You ladies are hard workers with BEAUTIFUL hearts!

Lindsay had never been to forever21? I hope she stocked UP!

Candice May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

glad your home! and I hope you feel better quick! Nobody ever has time to be sick.. boo!

Kelsey May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I swear traveling is the absolute best way to get sick!! All fingers crossed you wake up feeling way better!!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I missed out on this years Blend but next yr I’m there! I love reading all about it and seeing all the fun pictures! FEEL BETTER SOON!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 9, 2012 at 12:35 am

Bummer that you are feeling unwell :( I always used to get sick after plane rides cuz my immune system was like crud. Then I went to a naturopath who gave me this amazing supplement that completed boosted my body back to healthy. I stopped getting chronic tonsilitis and falling ill after travelling. Now I take them if I feel I might be coming down with something and it fights that bug straight away. I don’t know if you can get it in the US, but it’s called Astragalus 8 (a chinese blend of herbs) and I buy this brand

Looking forward to hearing about the blend meals and moves in your next posts xox

Lauren May 9, 2012 at 4:46 am

You guys did such an amazing job! It’s kind of my dream to plan one of these things at some point in my life. And you better believe I’m planning better for next year! I’ll be there with bells. :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 9, 2012 at 5:21 am

You ladies are rockstars! I must attend this next year. I am loving all of the recaps! :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 9, 2012 at 5:40 am

If you go out a week early next year, I volunteer to come help set up (especially if it’s in Colorado again!).
Wow- I didn’t know that you and Katie had never met in person before- that is so cool! It’s pretty amazing how closely connected you can feel to people in this lil’ blogging community without ever having actually “met” them.
And I’m laughing so much about you going to bed “early” at 9:30. That’s pretty normal for me. :)

Sara May 9, 2012 at 6:06 am

Get better soon kiddo!
Love hearing the recaps.

Lee May 9, 2012 at 6:19 am

I am kicking myself for not going. Next year, for sure!

The pictures sort of look like you guys are at summer camp.

Jessica May 9, 2012 at 6:53 am

I think Blend 2013 should last for a week! :) Feel better!!!

Tamara May 9, 2012 at 7:02 am

Sounds super awesome!!!

Sending lots of feel-better vibes!

Brittany May 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Loved reading this recap lady. It looks like it was a mad-house trying to pack those swag bags, but the goods look awesome!

I hope you aren’t coming down with anything and that the Vitamin C helps. If you makes you feel any better, you looked gorgeous is all the photos above. I love how your hair was styled. :)

Erica May 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

First off, feel better! Take care of your cute self!~! How fun is Blend? I’m so sad I couldn’t go! You guys did an awesome job. The location looks beautiful. I need the SWAG :). Yayy for internet friends ;)

Anna May 9, 2012 at 7:41 am

Looks like a lot of hard work…can’t wait to hear more about the event! Hope you feel better!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 9, 2012 at 7:56 am

you ladies are all gorgeous!! and practically super women for putting BLEND together. great job!
hope you get to feeling better soon!

Shaunna Ulrick May 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

When I grow up i want to be a blogger so I can go to Blend 2013 :)
Sounds totally rad!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables May 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

Loved this recap! I knew I could count on you for alll the details :)

Cheri May 9, 2012 at 8:25 am

The Blend sounds like so much fun. I want to participate next year! Evey blog I have read about it makes it sound like a group of friends getting together to just workout and have fun.

Crystal C. May 9, 2012 at 8:40 am

I am so sad I missed BLEND this year! I really wanted to go but with a wedding a month away there was just no way I could get away! BUT I am SUPER happy to hear that there will be a BLEND 2013!! Yay!! I will for sure be at the one! Can’t wait to hear the details on it. It looks like you ladies did a fantastic job on it and I have been reading soooo many good things about the weekend. It would be great to meet some of my favorite bloggers and meet some new ones, hang out and workout with you ladies! You Rock!

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable May 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Sounds like an amazing event! Hope to be there next year :) And I have to say, I use the water trick on my eggs too and it works perfectly every time! Definitely try it! :)

Alex @ therunwithin May 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

What you guys did for all those bloggers is just amazing, such a cool idea and it looks like it was a blast!

Carrie May 9, 2012 at 9:05 am

I hope you feel better soon!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 9, 2012 at 9:05 am

i can’t believe how much you ladies did in such a short period of time! again, blend was AWESOME…now go feel better :)

Ashley May 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Love love love. I want that spoon!!! eggs…workouts…babies…you ladies…faaaaantastic

Annette@FitnessPerks May 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

WOW. Nice work on organizing it all–that’s amazing how much goes on behind the scenes. Those mug sweaters are CUTE. Love it!!

Tiffany May 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

Eeks–hope you feel better! You all did an awesome job in a short amount of time so I would say it was a success.

Thanks for the reminder that I need a pedi. My digits be nasty.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail May 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

WOW! The prep beforehand was worth the effort–I can’t read enough positives about this weekend!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

1. wtf has lindsay been doing over there in franklin? no booze and no forever 21? what is this life?

2. baby a. still swooning. always. esp in that outfit.

3. I adore you all for all the hard work you did to make the weekend so amazing.

4. I also feel like crud. I ran the most difficult 5.5 miles of my life yesterday. high five!

ali moll May 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hey! It was great to see you for a quick sec at GPP last night! Hope you are feeling better! Sounds like a caraaaaazy weekend! Looks like BLEND was a huge success though! Can’t wait for the rest of your recap! Have a FAB day!

Kim @ The Family Practice May 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

Sorry you are sick :( Travel does that to me sometimes – I blame crappy AC on planes and what not. Germs galore.
Hope you feel better soon and that you can get caught up at work in no time. *Well wishes*

Tiff May 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Blend looks like it was a BLAST!!!

I hope you feel better really soon!

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) May 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

the big cabin is so cute! never been a f21 ever?! oh lindsay…fashion game saver as far as trends! those are some serious swag bags (just a tad bit jealous ;) hope you feel better! x

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Aww, you are all such awesome women!! I hope I’m able to go next year. It looked like SO much fun.
Also, I hope you’re feeling better :( If I ever get sick it’s usually following a flight.

Lisa May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Sorry about the sickness! Tends to happen to me too when I return home from vacay. You guys put in so much effort getting everything ready for the event! Wow! You deserve a break for sure!! You girls are amazing for putting it all together.

Christina May 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I really hope I can make 2013 Blend!! Flights aren’t too bad to get there right lol. Glad you guys had a blast and that sucks that you’re sick. It probably was because of all the travel/workouts/stress/fun. Feel better soon!

meggi May 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

wow! So incredible! Such an accomplishment that y’all were able to put all that together! Feel better soon!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Aw man, so sorry to hear you are feeling crummy now – that’s the worse way to come back to reality. Feel better soon!!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

This is awesome to read because I think we all forget just how hard event coordinators work! I can’t wait to read the rest of your recap!

Susan May 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Umm, you probably got sick from sharing a bed with a sick person the whole time! I am so sorry! Next year I will 1) Not get sick first (har har) and 2) bring Emergen-C for us to take the whole time justincase.

Also, sorry your first day back at work was super stressful :(

Also also, I miss making faces at Baby A.

Love you xo

Holly May 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Girl, I am the SAME way whenever I travel. :/ It sucks. It’s like you have to get back into the ‘regular life groove,’ but yet you feel like total garbage. I hope you feel better soon!!!
You ladies are just amazing. I am SO impressed by all of your hard work & dedication to this event. Seriously, amazing. I truly hope that I will be able to attend in 2013. Do you think it’s ok if I bring along a 6 month old?! ;)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I too came back to one of the most stressful days ever at my job. It’s funny how that happens. But I highly recommend LOTS of sleep and rest.
And it was SO good to meet you!! :)

momma b. May 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Love this post and can’t wait for the next installment! What a lot of work went in to such a successful event! I’m so excited for next year – sign me up NOW!

You had your coffee in MY I love lucy mug – too cute huh? Darling friends, great memories – job well done ladies xoxoxo!!!

Katie May 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

You rock at recaps. I miss you, too.