april shower.

by Janetha on April 29, 2012

in eating out,fun with friends,moves

sunday night already?! weekends zoom by way too quickly.

my weekend has been packed with eating, shopping, working out, and showering.

eating.

i failed on food photos this weekend, but marshall and i had brunch at a new-to-us spot yesterday called the other place. it’s a greek & american restaurant in the heart of downtown SLC. they serve breakfast all day and their food is dirt cheap. i had a veggie scramble piled high with feta. i’d asked for egg whites and the waitress kind of laughed at me and told me they don’t “do” egg whites. the scramble came with a choice of toast, english muffin, french toast, or a pancake. i went with an english muffin and it came out slathered in butter. i should have known it would after the reaction i got when i asked for egg whites. sometimes healthy eating falls by the wayside, and this was one of those times. i ate every buttery bite and it was fantastic. if you are a utah local, i highly suggest you check out the other place. make sure you order something with feta–it’s some of the best i’ve ever tasted!

saturday night we had his and hers burgers on the grill. at 10 PM. we usually eat late, but last night it was really late! marshall had a bacon cheddar burger and i had a turkey portabella burger–both on ezekiel sprouted wheat buns. those are the best. i love buying burgers at whole foods because they have gourmet pre-made patties so if i want a turkey burger and marshall wants a beef burger we can both have our way. you definitely pay for this convenience, though. we had the new parmesan lemon alexia waffle fries on the side. they’re delicious! dessert was vitamin D milk poured over vanilla bean ice cream. one of the best desserts ever.

shopping.

woah boy.. i was a shopping monster this weekend. i went to city creek and target yesterday and then to layton hills mall today. i really shouldn’t be shopping (and i don’t need to be) but buying cute new clothes for a blogging retreat makes me throw all common sense out the window. now i am all shopped out and more than ready for blend retreat–i leave thursday morning for colorado! on top of all the clothing, shoes, and accessory shopping, i did my usual grocery shopping this afternoon. it was a lighter trip since marshall and i hit up whole foods yesterday and knocked out half the usual grocery list. plus i only bought food for four dinners since i am bailing on dinner-making-duty after wednesday. luckily marshall is real good at fending for himself.

working out.

i was planning to go to GPP on saturday, but their latest saturday class is at 8:45. AM. ummm, yeah.. since i woke up at 10:30, i missed the boat on that! i went to gold’s instead and completed the workout of the day on my own.

NewImage

GPP is closed on sundays, but i have been loving the GPP-style workouts. i decided to look in the archives and picked out a workout of the day from earlier this month. i headed to gold’s this morning and completed the workout. i was happy with this one–it was super fun!

NewImage

while it’s possible for me to do the GPP workouts at gold’s, i really prefer to do them with everyone at GPP. the sense of community is fabulous and when lots of people are working toward the same goal, you push yourself a lot harder than when you are working out on your own. at least that’s the case with me!

i am loving the challenge that the GPP workouts are giving me. i was getting so bored with my usual lifting days. these workouts incorporate strength training and cardio at the same time PLUS they involve a lot of new-to-me moves. i can feel my body changing shape and getting stronger day by day. it sounds silly, but it’s true. i’m a nerd. yay, fitness!

showering.

yes, i took a couple showers this weekend, but i also attended a shower. a baby shower, to be exact! steph is due june 5th and is basically the most adorable pregnant person ever. don’t you agree??

IMG 2692

she’s pint-sized and i love her.

the first thing i did when arriving the shower was squeal with delight when i met these two sweeties…

IMG 2649IMG 2644

just call me the crazy dog lady!

sabrina and taylor did a fantastic job planning a super cute shower for the expecting momma.

IMG 2655IMG 2660

katrina was in charge of the food and she went above and beyond the call of duty. everything was so cute (and delicious!!)

IMG 2638IMG 2640IMG 2643

my personal favorite touch was the veggie dip served in a cabbage.

IMG 2639

fancy! there was also fruit dip served in a coconut!

IMG 2642IMG 2662

there were adorable cupcakes that got a tad melty due to the warm weather we had today.

IMG 2652

i had a little of everything and a mason jar full of iced tea.

IMG 2664

once we were done eating, we took it inside for SCRAPBOOKING!

IMG 2667

i know, not your average shower game. i thought this was a BRILLIANT idea, though. instead of playing lame games, we each made a scrapbook page for steph.  each page had a theme and she will be able to put photos of her baby on the pre-made pages as the events happen. i chose first halloween.

IMG 2670

some other pages were first easter, picnic, trip to the zoo, and bath time. there were others, but my memory is the worst.

i got a kick out of these random scrapbook stickers and had to share:

IMG 2671

“i’ve been dissed”?? who would put that in their scrapbook? ha. i also loved “what’s up with that?” and “BOOYAH!”

after the scrapbooking extravaganza, we headed into the living room so steph could open her gifts.

IMG 2687

i was distracted by molly.. go figure.

IMG 2690

adorable.

best of luck with the final month of your pregnancy, steph! can’t wait to meet your little lady.

IMG 2691

after the shower i stopped by my brother in law’s house to feed his cat, isis. isn’t she beautiful?

NewImage

i love cats. before i was the crazy dog lady, i was the crazy cat lady. growing up, i hated dolls and was obsessed with stuffed cats and everything was cat-related. sometimes i wish i had a kitty of my own, but i think penny and randy would get jealous.

that’s all for tonight! hope you all have a fabulous last day of april!

Carrie April 29, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Sounds like such a great weekend! Isis has such beautiful eyes! I’m a full blown cat lady.

Suzanne April 29, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Janetha, have you ever been to Roots cafe on about 3400 S. 2300 E. in SLC? It really is amazing. Super healthy too, you will love it. They do breakfast and lunch, I think the breakfast is the best by far but lunch is good too. Try it and let me know! I think they serve breakfast til 11 on weekdays, all day on weekends..open til 3pm. xo.

janetha @ meals & moves April 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I haven’t even heard of it! I am gonna go, thanks!

Sarah April 29, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Have I got a cat for you…

I love the scrapbooking shower idea! (saving that gem away for future reference)

lindsay April 30, 2012 at 4:48 am

LOL, this made me laugh.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm

That scrapbooking is a great idea and I absolutely love the “cabbage bowl” – so clever!

We don’t “do” egg whites…?! hahahaha!

Mary (A Merry Life) April 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Awesome weekend! I love the scrapbooking idea too. That shower was so cute!

I hope you enjoy the blend retreat. I wish I was going… I’m sure it will be majorly fun!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 30, 2012 at 12:45 am

Isis is in fact a goddess! You should bow to her every time you go to take care of her!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama April 30, 2012 at 12:55 am

Well shoot- looks like you had such a fun weekend. :) nice job on the killer workout. :) you know you can borrow Kitty anytime you want. :)

Sierra April 30, 2012 at 1:27 am

If they don’t make it “healthy”…I usually take that as a sign that I need the real thing. You have be craving a portobello mushroom burger. Do you marinate the mushroom?

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva April 30, 2012 at 1:29 am

Shower pics are so cute!!! Love the pups as well..I used to have a springer spaniel that looked just like the one in the pics <3.

Jenn April 30, 2012 at 4:47 am

Cute shower and I agree with Debs about Isis! Ha ha!

I’ve thought about getting another cat but I too worry it might make my other animals jealous. And as if 3 animals in our rv isn’t enough.

lindsay April 30, 2012 at 4:48 am

nice job on the workout JG. You got skills. And i think Marshall will be living on Chobani once you are in CO. not a bad thing to live off though.
xxoo

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 4:49 am

Your prego friend is adorable!!! Glad you had a good weekend lady!

Miz April 30, 2012 at 5:01 am

steph IS so cute.
Im adopting her as my virtual, pretend, tattooed, pregnant friend :)

Erica April 30, 2012 at 5:13 am

Sounds like you had a very nice weekend! Blend! I’m so jealous. I know its going to be an absolute blast. The shower food looks delicious. DEFINITELY like the idea of serving the dips in the coconut/cabbage- very cute. Have a good Monday chicky

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 30, 2012 at 5:30 am

PUPPIES!! Is the first one a springer? She looks just like the dog I had as a little girl!

Sounds like a great weekend. Have a fabulous Monday!

Taylor Loy April 30, 2012 at 11:12 am

Yup! He’s an English Springer Spaniel someone gave us because they didn’t want him. They’re loss.. He’s amazing.

Errign April 30, 2012 at 7:08 am

Looks like a pretty fun weekend. Funny how a place can’t “do” eggwhites, when they could just separate the eggs, haha.

GPP sounds a little like Crossfit, which I’m terrified of and will never do, but less scary!

Em (Wine and Butter) April 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

Im always So excited to arrive anywhere and find there’s a dog. I probably should have grown up about that by now.

Reading your blog at 6am to inspire myself to actually go the gym early this morning! I WILL do it. :)

Brenda April 30, 2012 at 7:14 am

We don’t do egg whites!?! … I think that called for some of those scrapbook stickers. “what’s up with that?” and “you’ve been dissed” both apply and possibly booyah too? The the butter on the toast can be the booyah! Take that!

My bf calls me a cat lady now! I want every cat I see… Including Isis, she’s a beauty!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List April 30, 2012 at 7:18 am

Now I REALLY want to try one of these GPP workouts!! Maybe in Katie’s Crossfit garage on Thursday!

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com April 30, 2012 at 8:14 am

The GPP workouts sound exactly the same as Crossfit. Glad you are enjoying them, I’m a Crossfit addict!

Calee (@chimes) April 30, 2012 at 8:42 am

I actually found an AMAZING class on Saturday. I finally realized last week that all the classes on ISU campus are now FREE to anybody holding a rec pass. Leave it to me to discover the most kickass class on the last session (ever likely — they use students to teach, and she’s graduating on Saturday!).

It was a TRX bootcamp, and it was KILLER. 16 stations, 45 seconds a piece, two rounds, reset the stations to something different, and repeat. It was a 90 minute class. I loved it sooooo much. I’m sure if they have another one it will be during a weird time that I won’t be able to / want to go to (ie. they have BodyPump, but it’s at 9:30 PM. excuse me? I’m old.).

Jealous, Ms. Shopping Monster. I am planning to get a couple of things this week, but nothing too fancy. I overspent last month on biz cards, fitmixer bootcamp and I paid a lady for quilting on a quilt that I finally finished (… triple what I had figured from her pricing … and the lady did a CRAP job on it — AND quilted it with lines closer together so she could charge me for “dense” quilting!). Ugh. Sorry. Venting.

Anyway — see you on Friday! I just realized that my Omaha stay with my old roomie that I planned for Thursday only gets me 3 hours into the 11 hour drive … yikes. So I’ll be up at 5 AM on Friday. And my leg is going to be hurtin’ by the time I get there. So much for planning.

Skala May 21, 2012 at 1:57 am

7 full rounds + a ltilte over hundred meters into 8th run (pistol squats suck, my technique is horrible)these days its all about training, swimming, biking, lots of running .once this Ultra marathon thing and ironman is over, considering returning to fighting .I like punching and kicking things, thats my first love ..would like to branch out into other areas of competition, rowing and testing some of the skills I’ve learned through Crossfit ie: ninja battles

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 30, 2012 at 9:22 am

you have so many preg friends! oh j, egg whites cannot compare to a perfectly made 3 egg omelet. i actually prefer the yolks —all the good stuff is in there too!

i admit to shopping a lot lately too but i FINALLY found and ordered my dress for my brother’s wedding. hope it fits! i have been searching for like 5 months haha.

i’m gonna try the second workout you posted sans rowing…oh i love those straws in the mason jars very cute! how is it going to be may tomorrow? /most random comments ever

janetha @ meals & moves April 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

I eat the yolks all the time, but if I am going to eat egg yolks I prefer them over-easy or hard boiled. I don’t want them scrambled up with everything! I am a yolk purist :)

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables April 30, 2012 at 9:26 am

I have soo mannnny comments! I love schnauzers, that dog is adorable. And that scrap booking theme at the shower–amazing. I hate when restaurants won’t “do” egg whites. And I’m really wishing I could come to blend retreat :(

Amy April 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

that scrapbook idea is SO cute!! i just went to a baby shower this weekend too. it was a lot of fun…no annoying games so yay hah. cant wait to meet you this weekend at Blend!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats April 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

That scrapbooking idea is awesome! Scrapbooking is such a chore. How nice to take some of the time consuming aspect out of it! :)

April April 30, 2012 at 11:07 am

That cat looks like it’s going to come through the screen and steal my soul! The veggie dip cabbage bowl is such a great idea too, especially now when cabbages are so cheap!

Taylor Loy April 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

I love these pictures! I’m glad you came. Molly and Reggie loooooved you.

Annette@FitnessPerks April 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Scrapbooking in UT. Priceless ;)

No, but for real, that is a good idea! And that food looks/sounds tasty!

Lisa April 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

That scrapbook idea is such a perfect idea for a shower! Love it. I am a crazy cat lady ;) I have a feeling I will love having dogs though. Is it weird I just want to have cats and dogs as my “kids”. I love doing crossfit type workouts. It’s awesome that they are short and feel more effective than my usual long strength training workouts! I also don’t understand how the place could not do egg whites? Were the eggs pre made or something haha. Odd.

elise April 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

1. that cabbage cup is such a cute idea.

2. cats to owls, huh.

3. glad you shower.

4. clever scrapbook idea! minus the booyah.

5. is gpp the new crossfit?

janetha @ meals & moves May 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

Haha I like the second blank #5. GPP is not the same as crossfit.. and there is only one location in all the world, haha, right here in utah!

elise May 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

as a numbers nerd, i felt obligated to have 5 things. i have no clue what my fifth point was but obviously it was VERY important :)

Neil April 30, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Blend Retreat is on my list for next year. Might have to talk you into doing another one this year…

Katie May 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I love these workouts that you post from GPP! It amazes me that they are free for anyone to see/use. Sweeeet deal. I wish I was in Utah, though, so aI could actually experience the class. Sounds like a blast. I’ve been pinning them from your blog, just to let you know. So, thanks! :)