calling all recruits.

by Janetha on April 18, 2012

in goals

you guys would be so proud of me! i had not one, but TWO big adventures (for me!!) in the past 24 hours.

first of all, i went to a class at gold’s last night! there is a class that i am always eyeballing from the weight training area (my comfort zone) but have never participated in because i was intimidated. every tuesday night, i would see lots of ladies and a few men participating in the “advanced crosstraining” class from 5:30 to 6:30. i never, ever, ever went. i always, always, always wished i would.

and last night, i did! as it turns out, the instructor is a good friend of my mom’s.. so when i walked in the door to the class i was immediately a bit more at ease. she’s a doll and i knew she would help me out if i was confused or anything (it happens. a lot.)  she actually called me out of my form a few times so that was nice.

the class is different each time, which was good for me as a newcomer. when i went to bodypump the other week, everyone knew what they were doing and set things up and i was oblivious. in this class, however, nobody knew what the agenda was, so we all waited for an explanation. once we had the game plan, we broke into groups of three and set up stations. the plan was to rotate between three moves within our station—doing EIGHT rounds of each move before moving onto the next. there were two sets of three moves—so that totaled 48 rounds. whew.

we started on the top of the minute and had to complete all the reps. if we completed the reps before the minute was up, we were able to rest. if not? we just had to keep going when the new minute started! eight minutes of one move is pretty intense. try it, you’ll see.

for the first set, we did this:

• 20 barbell deadlifts
  • 30 pushups
  • 30 box jumps

after 8 solid minutes of each move, it was time for the next set:

• 30 jump squats
  • 10 burpees with a hop over the bench in between
  • 30 overhead barbell shoulder press

i have to admit, i didn’t make it through all the reps on all the rounds, but i tried my hardest! after the workout i was totally beat (and totally glad i went!) i plan to go to this class every tuesday, so if you go to the bountiful golds, come with me!

my second adventure was bright and early this morning. i had promised kerryne that i would meet her at 6:30 for a GPP workout. GPP fitness is a gym located in centerville and is similar to crossfit in that it has a workout of the day, but it is geared toward general fitness (GPP stands for general physical preparedness.) candice was there, too, but she didn’t work out.. she was my moral support.

i am a geek and filmed a little vid before and after the workout! (plus a little post-workout ramble from after work today.. haha.)

here’s the workout, i did the five rounds in 30:08.

jump roping our hearts out!

it was an intense 30 minutes and i am glad kerryne and candice kept me accountable!

(don’t mind my huge red mark from the push presses or my flaming red face. )

i will be going again for sure! if you are local, let’s go together. and if you are a local BLOGGER, you should get in on that deal i mentioned.

so those were my two new adventures! i am having such a great time expanding my fitness horizons and trying new workouts. by challenging my body, i feel like i will have better results and more progress. i have kind of been at a stand-still with things lately and these new routines are just what i need.

speaking of new routines.. i have to tell you guys about an upcoming boot camp! i mentioned it the other day, but didn’t give you the scoop.

as you know, i am a huge fan of fitmixer. i started drinking it way back when, and after blogging about it they came to me and said HEY! let’s be friends. i was actually surprised because i didn’t know fitmixer was a utah local company prior to them contacting me. that just made me love them even more. the fact that they don’t capitalize their brand name scored bonus points, too!

since we have connected, i have met with them a couple times and we have chatted about their upcoming 12-week boot camp.

they have done a 12-week boot camp in the past where participants used their products, followed a workout plan, and ate a diet that was designed to fit their specific goals.  the participants had an average weight loss of 15 pounds and every participant decreased their body fat percentage while upping their lean muscle mass. since the first boot camp was so successful, they have decided to do another one! it starts on may 14th and it will run for 12 weeks.

one of the fitmixer reps, alicia (who i worked with at the booth on saturday!) filmed a video talking about the upcoming boot camp and also interviewed some past participants. check it out:

momma b and i have already committed to the 12-week boot camp, and if you want to sign up to do it with us that would be fun!

i think that the boot camp is a perfect way to get in shape (and stay in shape!) for summer. i always do better when following a plan (case in point: body for lifelivefitinsanity) and so a group boot camp is right up my alley.

it’s pretty amazing that if you follow an eating and exercise plan diligently for twelve weeks, you can have serious results. for example, when i did body for life, i dropped nearly 10% body fat in just 12 weeks and gained a lot of muscle:

i think that one of the KEY aspects to my success in the photos above is that i was doing BFL with my mom and i had that motivation and accountability. she encouraged me to work hard and eat clean each day. without her help, i would have quit.

that reasoning was one of the selling points for me on the fitmixer boot camp. there will be weekly conference calls for encouragement and accountability. participants are given a meal plan with calorie guidelines (tailored to their goals) and an exercise routine for the full twelve weeks—but instead of just getting it and following it, participants have to check in and report that they ARE in fact following the plan. what’s cool about the fitmixer boot camp is that it is virtual, meaning we can all participate together without living near each other. we will all be in this together!

while some of the plans i have tried were free, i never had the accountabilty or encouragement that comes when doing something in a group and having to report in. aside from momma b’s companionship during body for life, i was my own motivator and i was accountable to myself. this was especially hard while doing insanity and livefit. there were several times i wanted to give up!

the fitmixer boot camp is going to be geared mainly toward accountability and checking in each week. just like a boot camp with a drill sergeant! the workouts will vary depending on your fitness level, but i believe they plan to have a workout routine for those just starting out with exercising and a plan for those who already workout regularly.  they will also give options for people who don’t have access to a gym.

the fitmixer boot camp does cost $150, but the supplements alone make it all worth it.

here is a rundown of what you get when you sign up for the boot camp:

• $150 worth of fitmixer
    • a 6 lb bag of fitmixer slim (vanilla or chocolate)
    • a 6 lb bag of fitmixer protein (vanilla or chocolate)
    • two 1 lb bottles of fitmixer amino (grape or fruit punch)
    • fitmixer blender bottl
  • a personalized nutrition plan from a registered dietitian
  • a fitness plan from a certified trainer who will challenge you to get fit at your own pace
  • 12 weekly live boot camp calls with all participants involved and lead by a registered
    dietitian and fitness expert
  • use of an online and mobile calorie counter to help you track your daily caloric intake
  • access to write on a community blog where you can record challenges and successes
    and receive support from fellow participants in the boot camp

considering the fact that a workout with a personal trainer or a meeting with a registered dietician can be pretty expensive, the price for the 12 week food and fitness plan seems like nothing. well, and the fact that it includes $150 worth of product that i would be buying anyway… seriously, you guys, i use this stuff every day.

want proof?

on the way to my workout this morning i had fitmixer amino in hand…

and then on the way to work today i had a fitmixer chocolate coconut protein shake in hand…

and yes, i am wearing purple pants. and yes, my boss made major fun of me. such is life.

anyway, there’s my ramble. the boot camp starts in just under four weeks. if you are into it, click here for more info or to sign up.

oh! and one more thing! fitmixer is a blend sponsor and their registered dietician, candice, will actually BE AT the retreat! in honor of their sponsorship, they have a little spotlight on the blend blog today, complete with a giveaway of their products.. the same ones that we will be using in the boot camp! head on over to check it out.

in other news..

• adventurous april submissions are rolling in for this week! be sure to send yours in before sunday.
  • i forgot to mention tuesday trainer was yesterday! i finally got off my butt and submitted a core move. check out this ab-tastic workout!
  • it’s official.. i am on a colored pants kick. i have green and purple, but i am certain i need coral. and mint. and bright flipping blue.
  • i have a VERY special guest posting tomorrow. get excited for her.. and for her little dog, too.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m intrigued….
And this may seem like a silly question, but this isn’t just a local thing right? And is FitMixer lactose free?

Janetha April 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Like I mentioned, it is a virtual boot camp so everyone can join! I know the aminos are lactose free, but I am not sure on the powders. I will ask them and let you know!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Somehow I missed that “virtual” part… haha! ;)

Janetha April 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

No worries! That’s what the comments are for. Oh and they will be at Blend so you can meet the RD of fitmixer!

Janetha April 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Okay, the slim and aminos are lactose free but the protein does have whey.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks girl! I’m HIGHLY considering it! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

classes scare me, all classes, so scary!

BUT I am being insanely adventurous for you because I signed up for a 5k, my first EVER – more scared-ness

Janetha April 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

YES YES YES.. you are so adventurous! that is a big deal!

Danielle April 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Do they ship to Canada??

alex April 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

ditto on this question!

Austin Kara April 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I am interested, who do I contact? and what do the aminos do? Do they help with energy? That is my major barrier to anything days with working full time and doing grad school full time, If I had a bit more energy, I might be compelled to take my one hour break to head to the school gym instead of zoning out on pinterest.

Kris April 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm

hmmm… I am really interested in this, Janetha. I may have to commit to this, I have been so out of my routine, with being out of town so much and taking care of Dad… I NEED something to get back in my groove.

I really wish I had time to attend Blend. poop.

Katie h. April 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I miss GPP so much!! The trainers there are awesome, and the workouts really push your Max every day!!

ali April 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm

LOVE, Love, love GPP! This is my 3rd week, and today’s WOD kicked my trash! In a good way! I’ve been a reader of your blog and of Candice’s blog for a while now – just saw Candice for the first time tonight! Hit the Zumba class right after her body pump class at Skills tonight! Love it!

jessie ann james April 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

so i have family in bountiful! do you know any Thackers? any how, i will be in provo officially in two weeks and i wish i could come work out with you! i am in week 6 of live fit and im so excited for results!! what have you found that you have loved to maintain your live fit physique?

Diana April 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I’m really interested in this! How do I get more info?

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl April 19, 2012 at 12:14 am

Both of those workout are great! I wish I had a crosstraining class in my gym. That would be sweet. We do have a crossfit box but I just haven’t gone back. I think because its out of my way. But it would offer a similar workout. Oh well…

Well, wish I lived closer, I’d join in the boot camp fun. sounds like a great program!

Kat @ Balancing Kat April 19, 2012 at 12:43 am

I love your exercise adventures and they do remind me of CrossFit WODs. I started CrossFit a few months ago, and I’ll admit that I’m a xfit junkie now. :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva April 19, 2012 at 1:51 am

Wow that bootcamp is a steal!!! So glad to here about your new fitness adventures…I am in definite need of mixing things up. I’m about to go into the final 2 weeks of livefit and am super excited. I did almost give up a few weeks back, but am so glad i didn’t. I will have to think about a new program once it’s over. I really like having the structure and like knowing that the workouts are balanced as well.

melissanibbles April 19, 2012 at 3:05 am

Glad you found a new plan!

Meg April 19, 2012 at 4:46 am

I wish I was a local so we could go together :( Seriously, I think it would be fun to try out cross fit, but I am also scared at the same time. Great adventure for you Janetha! I am so proud of you. You are really inspiring! Remember that! XO

lindsay April 19, 2012 at 5:02 am

oh JG, looks stellar (yes i just used the word stellar). If i am cleared for working out in 4 weeks, i am totally in! keep me posted.
And I can’t wait for SUSAN!!!

christine m April 19, 2012 at 5:48 am

I am definitely interested in boot camp!

katie April 19, 2012 at 6:04 am

I looked at the ingredient list on the fitmixer and am not really impressed. Lots of ingredients, including sucralose.
I guess I prefer natural stuff, or normal stuff (food :)

Jamie April 19, 2012 at 6:04 am

Im interested in bootcamp! I am leaving the country for my honeymoon soon so I hope the timing isn’t bad ….

Eden April 19, 2012 at 6:24 am

Can you email me more information on the boot camp? I am very interested! Thanks! – edenm.balls@gmail.com

Meghan Rene April 19, 2012 at 6:55 am

When does this bootcamp start?? I am intrigued…

Jen! April 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

I’m interested. I’ll be finishing LiveFit in 3 weeks! I need to keep my motivation up! Is it a gym-based program? I know I won’t do it if it’s like Insanity or something. I need the routine of leaving the house and going to the gym to make me doing something.

On a related note, I’m so glad you posted about LiveFit because I started the program on your recommendation. I’ve since seen the most improvement in my fitness ever and I’m really happy with my results. Thank you!

Calee (@chimes) April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

I think my adventure this week is going to be buying some freaking colored pants already. I’ve been wanting some and have been too chicken to get them with my thunder thighs.

Also … when do you have to sign up for the bootcamp by? $150 is a LOT for me to drop, but those pix of you from BFL are making me want to do something more than just follow an exercise program. I didn’t follow the nutrition on LiveFit, and I know I could look much better if I did. But you are right — so much easier to follow with a prescribed program.

Calee (@chimes) April 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

also … I wonder if I can get Mark to do this with me? He needs a serious kick in the ass and I’m tired of being the one to deliver it! I think he’s even more tired of me delivering the kick too. Even though he needs it. He’d lost 20 lbs since January but then kind of gave up (this happens every time). :/

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the class! I need to branch out beyond spin and yoga classes.

Courtney April 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

I am interested! I must say, you are a great seller. Somehow everything you mention gets me interested (body for life, livefit) and now this!

Livefit scares me because the first phase cuts out cardio. I love cardio (and maybe rely on it?) so giving that up would be tough, and worried me a little bit to be honest… because I usually do about 5 days / week of some sort of cardio, whether steady, intervals or HIIT.

I am looking for something that can get me into the shape I want! This may be it, and sounds like a GREAT deal! :)

Jen E. April 19, 2012 at 8:02 am

Janetha – Where is your purple sweatshirt from?? I love it!! :)

Sarah April 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

I am very interested in this. Do they ship to Canada and is there an extra cost for that? Id love more information! Who can i contact?

Shaunna Ulrick April 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

I want more info on this bootcamp. I am so down to do this before my wedding :)! Thanks!!!

Julie April 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hi Janetha, I’m interested in this bootcamp!
Thanks :)

Tiffani April 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hi Janetha,

I am absolutely on board to do the boot camp. I have been taking an amino supplement(pill form) and not really noticed much of a change. I have seen the fitmixer on your blog before and wanted to try it. So, I am going to take the plunge and do the 12 week bootcamp :)

I am also a local(Murray) and LOVE reading a fellow locals blog :)

Emily April 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

I signed up!! I had requested you send me more info, then linked to the site, saw the cap at 50 people, and decided to just sign up! Since I had considered buying products in the past, I figure its worth it no matter what! Also, very excited about a customized nutrition plan!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

you are so damn cute in your video I can hardly take it.

I have purple pants too (with FLOWERS on them) and I love them like whoa.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

that class sounds like my kickboxing classes…intense! if i wasn’t trying to put on a few right now i’d be totally down for boot camp :/ i gotta get the hormone issues figured out first but i’ll be there in spirit!

Tiffany April 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

I am intersted. I need something to kick my butt in gear with going to school full time for nursing and working part time and planning a wedding for next June. Please send me more info!

Thanks!

Kerryne April 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

I reallly think I need to do something like this!

Amy April 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

this is so awesome!! i would love to do this…prob shouldn’t now bc im preggo…boo! haha jk..kinda. i love bootcamps!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Very cool!! I love bootcamp style classes and workouts–they’re so challenging.

I want to try fitmixer powders soon!! They sound awesome.

Whitney at fitmixer April 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hello everyone,

We’re so excited to see so much interest in our boot camp! We also see many questions, which we would love to officially answer. If you have questions about the boot camp, our products, or anything in general, please contact us at info@fitmixer.com or call toll-free 855-242-0609.

Create a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Whitney at fitmixer

Errign April 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Ohhh that sounds really cool! I’m definitely interested! Is there a place to grab more info? Also, do you know when the deadline to sign up is?

laura April 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi, I am interested. Please send me more information :)

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Just signed up! So psyched for this bootcamp. Very cool way to focus on fitness and nutrition with a group of people!

Kirstin April 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m interested in the Boot Camp. I know that some programs (LiveFit) severely limit cardio, and I have a calendar of 1/2 Marathons ahead. With the “personalized plan,” is that something that they can work with?

If so, I’ll sign up right away. I love me a good, structured plan : )

catty April 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm

awww so wishing they offered a student discount! sounds like an awesome time.

Susan April 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’m really considering joining in! However I’m curious if you have to follow the meal plan to a T? If there’s one thing I dislike, it’s following meal plans! I’m a lover of certain foods sometimes and depriving myself of what I want (i.e carbs… I love cereal and whole wheat bread.) leads me back to square one, aka overeating them!!

Kristine April 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I signed up! I tried LiveFit for the workouts based on your blog & now this! I actually was reading the fitmixer site the other day debating ordering the a minos& saw the boot camp info. This post just pushed me to commit!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’m in. Will check out videos and sign up when things settle- gotta catch a train now. :-)

Julia April 20, 2012 at 12:57 am

I want to try this! I don’t know if I can follow through, but maybe iwht support I can? all my efforts on my own have failed me.
I’ts also 3 am here, and I should be studying for finals tomorrow at 8 am.
Fuckit, I’m gonna do it. Adventurous April, right? haha. :)

Lisa April 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This looks like such an awesome idea! Do they ship to Canada? I’m going to guess not haha. It looks like you enjoyed your different workout though, that’s awesome! And I love that you were sore the same day you did the workout. I love cross fit style workouts, because I don’t have to workout for long and I’m still sore and got in a great workout

Janetha April 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Yep, they do!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt April 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I just Signed Up for Boot Camp, I really want to build muscle and this program looks like “Just What I Need”! Plus I get to meet them at Blend Retreat. Awesome.

Janetha April 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I can’t wait!

christina April 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

gosh darn it. i’m eating a cupcake as i read this post. putting it down now. hahah.