hello and welcome to wednesday.
my ear is still plugged up! the left one. i tried lots of home remedies but nothing seems to help. if someone can come over to my house with a drill, please head over immediately. i miss hearing.
i worked a full day today! okay, i worked six hours.. but that is a whole lot more than monday and tuesday combined, so i am counting it as a whole day.
even though i can’t taste, i have made sure to eat like a responsible adult. chocolate peanut butter banana protein shake and bran flakes for breakfast, homemade chicken noodle soup with akmak crackers for lunch, and ten million things as after work snacks. honeycrisp apple with peanut butter, a rice cake with strawberry cream cheese, a whole bunch of the apple almond cinnamon trail mix i made yesterday, a few hunks of sprouted baguette with cottage cheese, and two popsicles. balanced snacking at its best, right? right.
dinner was super flavorful. this was my attempt to actually taste something, and i must say i did taste a hint of flavor in the meal. maybe my tongue is coming around. that’s more than i can say for my left ear, i suppose. i made crock pot kung pao chicken. it was a shorter crock pot recipe, not one of those all-dayers, so i actually put it together after work and it was ready right around 8 o’clock AKA our dinnertime.
makes 4 generous servings
adapted from danica’s recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into 1″ cubes
- 3 T sherry cooking wine
- 3 T oyster sauce
- 3 T ketchup
- 3 T low sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 T mirin
- 1/2 T chili pepper sauce (sriracha) – or more if you like spicy
- one 8 oz can pineapple tidbits with juice
- 1 T corn starch dissolved in 2 T water
- 1/4 c – 3/4 c chicken broth *if needed, see directions
- 1.5 – 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, chopped
- ~15 baby carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- one 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
- brown rice or quinoa for serving
- cashews (roasted, salted, & chopped) for garnish (optional)
- whisk together sherry, oyster sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, mirin, and chili pepper sauce.
- add chicken and stir to coat.
- pour chicken and sauce into crock pot. add can of pineapple with juice.
- cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours until chicken is almost completely cooked through. cook time may vary depending on how small your chicken is diced and your crock pot’s temperature.
- add corn starch to crock pot and stir well.
- add vegetables and water chestnuts to crock pot and stir so sauce coats everything well.
- here is where you will add the chicken broth. depending on your veggies-to-sauce ratio, you may want a little more liquid in the pot. i added about 1/2 cup because we like it saucy.. the amount you add is up to you.
- cook for an additional 20-30 minutes on high until vegetables are crisp tender.
- serve over rice or quinoa and garnish with cashews, if desired.
this was a really quick and easy dish to make after work. the chicken cooked while i was at the gym. i’m trying to take it easy over here, being sick and all, but when i sit at a desk all day i really just need to move in SOME way. i did a light shoulder workout and 20 minutes on the elliptical. when i got home from my mellow gym session i added the veggies, cooked the quinoa, and in less than a half hour it was time to eat!
i calculated the nutritional information based on the recipe making four servings and did not include the rice/quinoa or cashews in the calculations. here are the stats for the chicken, sauce, & veggies only:
if you add 1/2 oz cashews and 1/2 cup quinoa to the dish like i did, the stats will be this:
pretty great stats no matter how you decide to eat it.
i am thinking i need some more arctic zero cookies and cream for dessert. or more popsicles. or both.
so! about the title.
i was trying to type the word “guarantee” today and had to backspace more than twice. it is just one of those words that, no matter how many times i write or type it, i just can’t get right the first time! this had me thinking about all the common errors i see when reading things online every day.
these common errors tend to get under my skin a bit because i am a weirdo like that, but i will be the first to admit that i make common errors in my writing all the time! heck, there are probably a lot of errors in this very post. i am no exception and i am sure some of my writing has gotten under your skin sometime or another. in fact, for the first 20 some odd years of my life, i thought “tongue” was spelled “tounge”. yep. fact. what’s wrong with me? also, i write in all lowercase, and i know this bothers people. they tell me.
so, in the name of all things nerdy, i thought i would list ten of the most common errors i see that really just make me cringe. remember, this is all in fun, and i said before that i often make my own grammar and spelling errors.. so read this with a light heart.. mmmk?
1. using “of” instead of “have”: could of, should of, would of SHOULD BE could have, should have, would have.
i get why this happens.. people are taking the contraction “should’ve” and turning it into “should of”.. but think a minute about what you are trying to say before you type of. you clearly mean HAVE.
2. correctly using an apostrophe in “it’s”.
this one is tricky since when we usually want to show possession, we use an apostrophe. example: “this is janetha’s blog.” however, when using the word “it” in a possessive context, you leave out the apostrophe. example: “the blog is known for its grammatical errors.”
the right time to use an apostrophe is when you are using it as a contraction for “it is” or “it has”. example: “it’s the most ridiculous blog.” or “it’s been a great day.”
got it? good.
3. “a lot” is not one word.
just… NO. sure, you say the words “a” and “lot” together often, but that does not make them one word. you don’t lump “a” and “little” into alittle, so please don’t type alot.
4. work out vs workout.
you went to work out. it was a stellar workout. there is a difference. take note.
5. the term “as per usual”–it is either “as usual” or “per usual”.. pick one.
if you say both.. it’s like saying “as as usual”. it’s redundant. just pick one or the other, not both.
6. one and the same, not one in the same.
this isn’t one i read too often, but it happens. an easy mistake to make since it’s not a very common saying. anyway, it’s one and the same.. not IN.
7. who’s vs. whose
another pesky contraction. lots of times i read the word “who’s” where “whose” should be written. if you are using “who’s”, simply replace the words “who is” in there (since it is a contraction) and see if it makes any sense. example: “whose blog is your favorite?” <–in that sentence, “who’s” makes no sense, because it would be saying: “who is blog is your favorite?” see? nonsense.
8. the many misspellings of definitely.
spell it with me now: D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. not definately, definitley, or any other slaughtered spelling of the word.
9. saying unthaw when you really mean defrost or thaw.
i think i hear this said more than see it written, but every time it makes me laugh. if you are unthawing something, then you would essentially be freezing it. right? right. think about it.
10. couldn’t leave this off the list: using the wrong kind of your/you’re.
it’s safe to say this is the most misused word out there. maybe people are just to lazy to type “you’re” out and so they type “your”… but it makes me stabby every time i see it used wrong. actually, on one of mine and marshall’s first dates, we made a bet. every time one of us used the wrong form of your/you’re, we owed the other person something. pretty sure he owed me a beer and i owed him a dollar.. my how times change. anyway, PLEASE check yourself on this one. it’s not a hard one to get right like some of the others!
so, there’s my list of ten. but wait.. here are a couple more fun, nerdy things!
- if you think your spelling skills are top notch, go check out this 27-question spelling test to see how you rank! it was fun. promise.
- if you want a laugh, be sure to check out the oatmeal’s many grammar-geared posts. they rule.
anyway, that’s enough bitching and moaning for now.
oh, before i forget, check out the beanitos giveaway on the blend blog! they are one of our swag bag sponsors. blend is ONE MONTH FROM TODAY! squeal! can’t wait to hang with you all!
talk to you guys later!
what’s one common spelling or grammatical error that gets under your skin?
xo. janetha g.