flashback friday: teenage favorites.

by Janetha on March 30, 2012

in flashback

hey guys!

before i dive into flashback friday, i want to take a minute to tell you about my appointment this morning. i went to see a motility specialist about my gut issues. if you are just joining us, you can read about my issues here, here, here, and even here.

anyway, i went to a motility doc today to see why the crap i can’t crap. ever. i won’t go into details because you really don’t want to hear where he put his finger or what i had to do.. but the outcome of the long, long appointment is this:

• thanks to a procedure administered today, he does not believe i have pelvic floor dysfunction/disorder (shoot, i was hoping i did since that can be fixed with physical therapy and biofeedback.) however, he said PT and biofeedback would not hurt my situation.. he just doesn’t want to order it until i get some other tests done.
  • he wants me to get two tests to tell him more about how my guts function
    • one test is a sitz marker test. here is a good description of what it is (found it through google.) it takes 5 days and i will have 3 xrays that will tell the doctor how my colon moves things along.
    • the other test is called a defecogram. here is a good description of what it is (again, found on google.) this requires a bowel prep and then i get to hang out at the hospital for 4 hours while they xray me trying to poop. doesn’t that sound fun?
  • after i get those two tests, we will see what’s next.

so, that’s the short and sweet update for now. in the meantime, he told me to keep plugging along (and dealing with my plugged up guts.) hope i get some answers. fingers crossed.

flashback friday!

last night marshall and i headed to see say anything in concert. we got to the venue during the second-to-last opening band (luckily, because the only band we wanted to see was the headliner.) after standing around for a few minutes, marshall commented that we were probably the oldest people there. i took a look around. he was right.. the crowd was jam packed with some people in their early twenties and a whole lot of teenagers. it actually made for great people watching.

i saw so many teenagers dressed in a certain fashion, with their hair done a certain style, and acting in a certain way. watching them made me smile real big. i actually got very nostalgic as i saw this and thought back to my own teenage concert-going days.

i was die hard about going to live shows. this all started before the raves, before the drugs, before the drinking (but continued into those days).. i just wanted to go to punk rock shows. and crowd surf. and flail my arms wildly in the mosh pit. and, of course, look a certain way. act a certain way. be a certain person. i didn’t think i was trying to be a certain way at the time, i mean.. i was me, myself, and i! but looking back.. yes, i was a typical teenager wanting to look cool to certain eyes. weren’t we all?

i was not a typical trendy teenager of the late 90s/early 2000s—and by that i mean i didn’t listen to boy bands (HATED them), never preferred going to high school sporting events, and dressed more like a boy than a girl.

scan0027

boy shorts.. skate shoes.. spike belt. this photo cracks me up. i still was trendy in my own way. i was obsessed with certain brands and bands. and, like every other teenager in the world, i thought i was pretty dang awesome.

i worked at a skateboard/snowboard shop, which definitely made me think i was even cooler than i already thought i was. we had a skate park in the basement and i got to talk to cute skateboarders all day long. i was a big flirt.

scan0015scan0013

my older brother (doug) was a big snowboarder, which probably paved the way for me to think certain things (and brands) were OMGthecoolest. here i am with dougy B, who i looked up to for knowing about anything and everything cool.

scan0023

i also thought my nokia brick cell phone was pretty freakin’ sweet. oh yes, the nokia phone. back in the day when the only cell phone game was snake—not words with friends or draw something. and a camera on your phone was UNHEARD of. that wasn’t even a thought in my mind.

scan0009

for today’s flashback friday, i thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and list some things that were my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE when i was a teenager. hope some of you can relate!

favorite movie

image [source.]

i came down with a nasty case of mono my sophomore year, and i watched this movie every single day for a month straight. not exaggerating. i still whip out random quotes from the flick on a regular basis (“who knows where thoughts come from? they just appear. mmhmm.”) and i could sing a rex manning tune at the drop of a hat. it’s definitely in my top five movies of all time.

i wonder if my obsession with empire records is what played a part in me thinking that working at a skateboard shop was so ultimately cool? probably.

favorite bands

i went to lots of concerts. i was obsessed with music. this was before blogs, obviously.. because now i really am not as into music as i should be! i bought a band t-shirt at EVERY show. and, sadly, my huge t-shirt collection was thrown away by someone on accident.

band hoodie!

scan0120

band shirt!

scan0142

sometimes i would get guitar picks or drum sticks from members of the band.. those occasions were obviously each remembered as THE BEST DAY EVER. pretty sure i have those picks and sticks in a box somewhere…

some of my favorite bands:

• nofx
  • pennywise
  • face to face
  • millencolin
  • good riddance
  • mxpx
  • the ataris
  • h2o
  • thursday
  • thrice
  • homegrown

okay, i will stop there. bonus points if you guys like any of those bands and still listen to them today.

favorite brand

volcom.

scan0007

here i am, stoked for the volcom logo in california, wearing volcom head to toe.

saying i was obsessed with volcom is a huge understatement. i actually HAD to be wearing at LEAST one item of volcom at all times.

example: wearing a volcom shirt that i STILL have today.. on my cool nokia phone that i do not still have today.

scan0016

for my sister’s wedding, i had to have a volcom skirt. for my brother’s wedding, i had to have a volcom dress. each christmas, my sister would make me a special volcom something.. including a quilt, a flower pot, a mirror, a clock, and other volcom things i can’t think of right now.

scan0006

even my halloween pumpkins were volcom-ized.

scan0010

and there i am, pulling my brother’s signature smile that i thought was so cool. always trying to be like him!

favorite shoes

skate shoes. i did not ever wear girl shoes. it was flip flops (volcom ones, of course!) or skate shoes. i loved the brands globe, circa, and osiris the very most.

image image image

[sources 1, 2, 3]

pretty sure i am still hoarding a few pairs in my garage because i simply cannot part with them. shoot, even the box that was holds the flashback photos scanned into this post is in an old circa shoebox…

photo

…yes, i wore a size 4 in dudes shoes. i may have worn the shoes, but i could definitely NOT skateboard. that ish is hard! also, sidenote, skate shoes were so super bulky back then. how did i think they were so cool and how did people actually skateboard in them?

favorite makeup trend

two words: white eyeliner. only on the top lids, naturally.

scan0017

anyone else on the white eyeliner wagon? ha.. it’s such a bad look! although my niece, kaylee, was a dang cute baby.

favorite snacks

totinos crisp crust pepperoni pizza.

image  [source.]

i would eat the whole thing after school. loved these pizzas and the freakish square pepperonis. i bet i still love them, just haven’t tried one in years.

dr. pepper.

scan0010

always had one in hand!

wendy’s.

scan0015

i think i went there EVERY day. i loved getting breadsticks and dipping them in honey mustard. now days, they don’t even have breadsticks!

oh, and i also was obsessed with my jeep cherokee sport that i was driving in the photo above. i thought jeeps were so cool! loved it.

scan0017

totaled it. on a suspended license. sad.

honey bunches of oats.

image [source.]

i would kill an entire box over the course of a few days. some things never change…

that concludes this round of flashback friday. go ahead and resume normal life, back in 2012.

have a great weekend! chat soon.

Q~

what were you like as a teenager? any obsessions or favorites you’d like to share?

Corrie Anne March 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm

MxpX was totally my favorite band!! I’d still go to a concert if I had a chance. As a teenager I loved all things bright orange. Oh my. But I was also super nerdy and loved playing classical piano and reading. Ok. I still do those two. :)

momma b. March 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm

No one liked me when I was a teenager – I was a total geek!! (well my family like me)

Kids would make fun of my name, put tacks on my chair, pull the chair out from under me and make fun of my muscular arms —–it’s a miracle I’m as cool as I am today with having had such a crappy time in junior high and some high school—hahaha – totally true story.

I’m glad I got to a much better place, learned to be tolerant and love others in spite or or because of their differences!

What a fun trip down memory lane – sure do love you!!!

xoxo

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife March 31, 2012 at 5:40 pm

this is great! kudos for having the humility to talk about the weirdness of the teen years. i was super preppy in high school… always had matchy matchy jewelry and wore a lot of pink and mini skirts. then when i got to college i wore a lot of camo and had black and pink hair. now im the polar opposite…i’m basically an ambassador for GAP. I can’t believe my friends never called me out for the flip flop of styles over the years.

christina March 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm

i love this post! i listened to all the same bands as you. mxpx was my favorite bc they had that song “cristalena” and i made everyone calll me that, ha! it was my nickname for a loooooong time. except it was christaleena. oh that makes me laugh.

Kathryn March 31, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Love this post!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail March 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm

First, I hope your GI issues are soon resolved…how frustrating. I’m assuming you eat lots of chia too? I find that flushes me out!!

You haven’t aged and I LOVE your FLASHBACK FRIDAYS!!! I have done one flashback post showing my HS track pics (circa late 90’s). My obsessions in HS were just sports and academics, but in college I LOVED heavy metal–listened to it before all my games to get pumped!

Vanessa March 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm

OMG. We are totally the same person. Related to so much of this! I shopped only at surf/skate shops [went to high school by the beach]. Had and still have a few of old band t shirts. Also listened to those same bands. haha this is too funny. Great post! :-)

Jo @ LivingMintGreen March 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Hi! I just found your blog today & I love it so much! We share some similarities when it comes to our teenage selves – I dressed boyish too & loved band shirts. I lived in skate shoes, cargo pants & tanks. Some of my fave bands: silverchair, ratm, beastie boys, NIN, sublime…
Looking forward to reading your blog on a regular! : )

Willow @ My Own Trail April 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

I just have to second Beastie Boys and NIN!

Janetha April 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

Thanks for reading!

Emily R April 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ha! We were very similar in high school…I hated boy bands. LOVED MxPx (apparently they just came out with a new record?), Thursday, Thrice, New Found Glory, Silverstein, Yellowcard, etc. Those bands will always hold a special place in my heart! I definitely wore the spike belt AND the white eyeliner (along with clear mascara…that was a huge fad amongst my friends)…and had the old Nokia phone. Man. Those were the days.

Coco April 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

What an awesome job to have as a teen- I was the same way, wearing similar clothing.. I was always the jock/tomboy girl (and I still am for the most part- though now I actually wear make up and do my hair sometimes haha)

Maren April 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

oh man I LOVED mxpx! and saves the day, nfg, afi, etc. And Etnies…lived in them. Junior year, I took aerobics for my gym class and I worked out in my etnies everyday! I can’t believe I was able to do that! Man, they were the most comfortable shoes I ever owned… love reminiscing!

Shannon April 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

totally rocked the white eye shadow :) and wearing the boyfriends skater pants that were way to big.

colleenzo April 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Ha! Your first picture could have totally been of me! I actually JUST threw out my last pair of dickie’s shorts just a week ago. I almost reconsidered, but into the donation bin they went. *tear. Also, I still love Empire Records. My name isn’t f#$*kin’ Warren!!!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes April 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for the guts update. :) I had a sitz marker test too. Thanks for continuing to indulge us all in this!

Willow @ My Own Trail April 3, 2012 at 7:22 am

I was in high school from 1990 – 1994, so my teenage days were a little earlier than yours, but it looks like we would have been great friends! I had VERY similar clothing/musical interests and found myself “on the fringe” more than part of the mainstream. But, I totally hear you about still being a typical teenager. By acting and dressing like I didn’t care about clothes or hair, I actually did care. I spent a lot of time and energy making myself look like I was “different.” Looking back on it now, I see how funny the whole teenage world really is. It’s such a bizarre time in life.

As for the music…I listened to NOFX on my way to work today :)

CASSY April 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm

i think we might be the same person. you may just be a the xs size of me. or i guess i’m the L size of you since you are older.

movie- yes. love it.
shoes- i only wore those shoes and STILL have them.. i think.
volcom- LOVED.. barely afford, but i loved.
boys clothes– owned. I even wore those jeans with the HUGE back pockets. oh geez.
bands/shows- my life.

those were the days! i wish i could think i was that rad still.

funny that 2 different chicks in 2 different cities, brought up 2 completely different ways could be so alike!

Janetha April 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

I love you.

Stephanie November 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Did you know, if you google “90s white eyeliner” this post is the third images result? I ended up reading your entire post and nodding and giggling the whole time. I was very similar, and just as much of an individual. My BFF even named my cat Roxy (after the brand of course) -in 2001.