three tip thursday [2].

by Janetha on March 29, 2012

in guest posts,tips

hello! welcome to another installment of three tip thursday, where i hand my blog over to someone to give you THEIR three tips.

before we get to that, i wanted to mention a few random things that i had in the pipeline:

• christine at oatmeal in my bowl did a great post about camping!! i cannot wait to go camping this summer. check it out here, a special someone from my family was featured.
  • my friend lynn from the actor’s diet is trying to raise money for her next film: the man’s guide to love. it will be about the power of social media. she reached out to me to help spread the word. she is looking for donations as well as help spreading the word. please read her post about the mans guide to love here for more details. thank you!
  • i have my appointment with the motility specialist in the morning. SO excited to see if he can find out what’s wrong with me. i will report back!

now i will turn the time over to today’s guest poster: theodora from losing weight in the city. theodora and i met in philly last august and she’s freaking rad. i knew she would have some helpful tips for you all. here she is!

**********************************

Hi! Like you, I love Janetha’s blog, and I’m happy she’s letting me squat on a little bit of her Internet real estate. My name is Theodora, and I blog at Losing Weight in the City about maintaining my 50-pound weight loss through (mostly) healthy eating and running, without sacrificing my NYC lifestyle.

3 Tips to Stay Happy

While I’m no expert on happiness (although, what an awesome job would that be!), I spent a longer time than I’d like to admit being unhappy. I was never diagnosed with depression, but I definitely experienced a feeling of hollowness and lack of purpose for years. It wasn’t until I moved to NYC and turned my life around that I realized how unhappy I was, and that I did, in fact, have control over my happiness.

Not to get all Oprah on you (but damn, do I miss coming home to that lady on my DVR), but here’s what I’ve found to be my secrets to happiness:

1. Remembering that nothing’s permanent.

[source]

Last year I got laid off, and that was obviously a hard time in my life. My mom kept reminding me that nothing’s permanent, and that this, too, would pass.

2. Getting a pet.

Getting my sweet dog Bailey was not the most well-planned decision of my life. I was 23 at the time and going out for happy hour all the time. My lifestyle was not conducive at all to raising a puppy—but I decided I wanted one and ended up changing my lifestyle to fit him into my life. And I’m so glad I did, because he brings me so much happiness everyday and makes me feel much more grounded. If you can afford a pet (even a goldfish!) and it fits into your lifestyle, it will bring you so much happiness. (You know, if you’re a pet person.)

3. You do you.

(My “doing you” also involves taking silly photos with bananas.)

When I lived in D.C., I had plenty of friends and an active social life. I did lots of fun things, and I had a job as a political reporter that gave me access to some pretty cool people and parties. But none of that matters if you’re not doing something for yourself. A coworker I confided in about my unhappiness told me I needed to find a hobby—and I see where he’s coming from now. But telling someone they need to find a hobby is like telling someone they need to lose weight—they need to discover it on their own. And drinking beer, he told me, didn’t count as a hobby. Trying to take up running or thinking about taking sailing lessons didn’t do anything for me, because they were other people’s passions that I had hoped would rub off on me. (Ironically, I’ve since become addicted to running and taken a sailing lesson.)

**************************

thank you for sharing your tips on getting (and staying!) happy, theodora!

Q~

what is your #1 tip for happiness?
it’s about to get all warm & fuzzy up in here!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 29, 2012 at 6:19 pm

LOVE Theodora! You’ll never forget that name!

meggi March 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Good tips!! :) My number one tip is to remember that the things and people we think about, focus on and surround ourselves with will shape who we become! I try to surround myself with people who are always working for the positive in life :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 29, 2012 at 6:25 pm

yay pets! mine make me SO happy:)

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm

my #1 tip for happiness is to invest in a good pair of sweatpants, slippers, and a bottle of red wine. there’s no long day they can’t fix :)

lynn @ the actor's diet March 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

i love these tips! esp. the MGL one – thanks again for posting, janetha!

Erica March 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Great post!!! Getting a pet is pretty wonderful. I think finding a good life balance and making time for me keeps me happy

kaylie March 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I totally agree with all these tips- especially the pet tip! I have had dogs/cats my whole life. Seeing their faces and snuggling with them always makes my crappy days worth while!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... March 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I have to say that I got Dante about two years too early in terms of the “right” time … I travel tons for work, have my 18 and 15 to organize during these travels, love my job, but work long hours … we love dogs and had not had one in 16 – 17 years … one day my oldest daughter told me … “Mamma, if we don’t get the dog while I am at home before I go to college, I will have no true relationship with him” … and so for her I decided to get my Dante … at the worst possible time which actually ended up being the perfect time, for me, for my family … he literally melts my stress away … his unconditional love makes me unconditionally happy … he is always present in my blog … but this entry is a short one about him …

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More March 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Agree, agree, agree to all the above!

Great post!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 30, 2012 at 3:50 am

My #1 happiness tip is to laugh every day. Finding the humour in something can often make you take a step back and realize things really aren’t as bad as you think they are. Laughing always puts things into perspective for me (you can read one experience in particular here http://the-healthy-diva.com/2012/02/13/motivational-monday-laugh-your-way-to-better-health/ )

And I totally agree that pets and animals bring so much joy into our lives. I’m a real animal lover and I look forward to when I have a house of my own so I can get a puppy of my own :)

Michelle March 30, 2012 at 6:41 am

#1 tip for happiness is to have a pet…….or volunteer at a rescue organization. animals are so good for stress relief. a few minutes on the couch with my 2 bassetts and i’m a new person!

Shady March 30, 2012 at 6:53 am

Just have to say that the tip about pet ownership seems a bit relaxed in terms of the commitment and responsibility that it entails. Remember, pet ownership is an enormous job and anyone who is considering it needs to think long and hard about whether it will fit their lifestyle, if they can afford to it and if they are willing to do it for the next 15-20 years (yes some animals can live for longer than your children will spend at home with you. I’d also implore those thinking about it to consider adopting. *stepping off soapbox now*

Vanessa N March 30, 2012 at 7:09 am

My number one tip is to “make/create your own happiness”. I see a lot of people complain about their lives and how nothing is happening the way they want it to… and we all have days like that. but i think it’s important to remember that you are responsible for your own happiness… no one else is. If you’re unhappy, it’s up to you – and only you – to make it better.

I also strongly believe in “fake it ’til you make it”. It sounds insane, but if i’m having a bad day… i’ll just pretend i’m super excited about life and positive about everything (in an almost obnoxious way) and it does end up rubbing off and making me actually feel super positive. b/c when you’re happy and positive, people around you are too – so it always turns into a good time!

Theodora March 30, 2012 at 8:37 am

Both are so very true!

Also, Janetha, I think you’re rad, too.

Cait @ Cait Hates Cake March 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

#2 – My dog makes me laugh every. single. day.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

I totally agree about the pet. Better yet- get two! Just watching my dogs play together cracks me up on a daily basis

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life March 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

You’d think it’d be easy for me to come up with #1 tip for happiness since my blog is all about living the happy, healthy life. Ha! But it’s hard to narrow down just one thing. HAPPINESS: I think it would have to be finding joy in the people around you regardless of the circumstances going on in your life. Life is short… too short to live perpetually unhappy, so BE THE CHANGE. Create your happiness. Choose it. <3

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats March 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

I think finding happiness is only truly possible when you stop giving a shit about what everyone else thinks. This is something that I have really struggled with in my life. You have to go after what you want and make relationships with people who support your interests instead of trying to mold you into something else. On a lighter note, I think the pet thing would be a good one too! :) Nothing better than that unconditional love they give.

Nicole C March 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

#1 tip is the first thing that popped in my head. EXPERIENCE life, don’t just exist in it. SO many people just exist and that is all hunky dory but they never challenge themselves. When I was at the doctor a few weeks ago because I couldn’t breathe the nurse didn’t understand why I was needing a shot for allergies vs. over the counter remedies. I told her I had a race to train for. She asked why I would want to do that. She thought there had to be a reason. Completely didn’t understand the idea of challenging yourself…hmm….

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I <3 Theodora!

Christina March 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Love Theodora’s blog! And these are tips are oh so true :) I couldn’t live without my dog Sushi.

Christina March 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

P.S. I’m already planning a camping trip in August and I cannot wait!!!!!! I love planning a menu for camping, I’m weird like that lol

momma b. March 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Terrific post Theodora (and i absolutely love your name:))!!
I’m all about smiling and laughing – I like to say that a really great laughing spell will actually make me younger – and I am certain that is true!! (I’m really only 34)
The end!!