palate-pleasing pallet.

by Janetha on March 12, 2012

in eating out

saturday was pretty jam-packed. my day started at the gym for a strength session of shoulders & abs. afterward i had to quickly get ready so marshall and i could head to the SLC tattoo convention. the convention is always fun check out, even for someone like me, who isn’t into tattoos at all. there were aisles of artists who were not only tattooing, but were also selling beautiful artwork. there were booths selling unique jewelry (ran into my friend tif from peach treats!) and there was even a booth dedicated to tattoo removal. see what i mean? something for everyone.

after wandering around for a bit, we hung out with our friends in their booth.

NewImage

i’ll be honest, watching people get tattooed can get pretty boring, lots of standing around. since it was right around dinnertime, marshall and i bailed after about an hour. we joined kristen and rory for dinner at a new spot downtown.

IMG 2671

pallet is a new bistro located on 400 west and pierpont avenue in the heart of salt lake city. the reason i’d been anxious to try pallet out is because my friend ashley, who once was the manager at eatery 1025, is the general manager at pallet. ashley knows her stuff and so i knew the restaurant would be incredible.

the name of the restaurant makes me smile, since it’s a homophone for palate.. but it was named pallet because the old building was once a loading dock for salt lake’s first creamery back in 1901. just thinking about the history in that old building gives me the chills. we didn’t really plan our evening beforehand and just decided to head to pallet on a whim. when we walked in the door and realized what a cozy, intimate setting it was, we realized a reservation was probably required.

IMG 2689IMG 2690

lucky for us ashley greeted us and quickly made arrangements for the four of us to sit at the bar. right as we were sitting down, kristen and i spotted our old high school friend, drew. except he wasn’t dining at pallet–he was standing behind the bar. he came right over and greeted us and, to my surprise, informed us that he was the owner! they don’t call this place small lake city for nothing–it truly is such a small world.

to make an already small world even smaller, the head chef, buzz, happens to be another high school friend’s little brother and the pastry chef, jeff, is buzz’s friend.. everyone is from mine and kristen’s high school. and, coincidentally, drew’s wife, ashley, happened to be enjoying dinner when we got there. ashley went to high school with us TOO, so it was a full-fledged high school reunion. it was quite a pleasant surprise!

after chatting with drew a bit, i learned that he had the same no-chain policy that i have. chain restaurants, that is. when traveling, i refuse to go to a restaurant that i can visit at home. what’s the point?! i was stoked when i learned that drew feels the same way. he is passionate about food and wanted to open a restaurant that had delicious food, a fantastic atmosphere, and exceptional service. and with that, pallet was born. i couldn’t be happier about it, SLC needs more restaurants like this.

i browsed the menu for way too long (i am so bad at making decisions!) and i finally selected the seared scallops. i figured that whatever i picked was going to be delicious, and i rarely order scallops because they always come out rubbery or tasteless (or both!)

IMG 2672

while waiting for our entrees, we snacked on complimentary grapes and i enjoyed a glass of pinot grigio.

IMG 2691IMG 2682

i knew i’d made the right choice when the scallops came out.. they looked perfectly cooked! plus, they were huge.

IMG 2693

they were served alongside a mix of wild mushrooms and cauliflower. there was a flavorful parsnip puree beneath the scallops that was most likely laced with something–i had to contain myself from licking my plate. come on, i’m a lady. i asked drew where he got his seafood and i was happy to hear that the majority of it comes from aquarius fish–yep, my friend’s fish market i love so much.

i had to pass on dessert because i was already full, but i had to snap a photo of the toasted marshmallow description:

IMG 2695

POP ROCKS?! on a dessert! i know. i have to get that next time. or the warm oatmeal walnut shortbread. wow.

pallet also serves lunch and will be open in the spring/summer for brunch. it is conveniently located less than a block from the farmers market, so i can’t wait to head there this summer for brunch followed by our usual farmers market run. it’s going to be saturday perfection.

if you live in the SLC or anywhere near it, i highly suggest you check out pallet. not because i know the folks, but because it’s delicious and you won’t be disappointed. you can check them out on facebook if you want to read more or see more photos. oh and if you do go there, do yourself a favor and make a reservation.

while saturday’s dinner was incredible and gourmet and fancy.. tonight’s was the complete opposite. i had a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day and it was a tomato soup & grilled cheese kind of night.

IMG 2776

on the upside, i did fill the grilled cheese with a little bit of fancy: goat cheese, sharp white cheddar, pepperer turkey, and hot & sweet mustard. it was fabulous, actually.

in other news, the fab folks at larabar have offered to give one lucky winner four larabars. head to my facebook page to enter.

now if you’ll excuse me, i have to go clean up the tomato soup that overflowed on the stove. yeah, told you it’s been one of those days.

Q~

what type of restaurant did you dine at last? what did you order?

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

wowww all of this food looks incredible! totally checking this place out in the near future. i love all of your restaurant reviews because i can actually go to them myself. ;) last night we dined at rosario’s, a local san antonio mexican restaurant that was incredible. both cody and i were craving REAL authentic mexican, and it hit the spot!

kristine March 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

oooh! we had frog legs on saturday night!

Kelly March 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

We went to Chili’s last night (so non-adventurous or “cultured” but good for the hubby & toddler), and I ordered a big juicy burger… totally craving red meat. Maybe I needed iron? I ate it without the bun and dipped it in fire-roasted-corn guacamole, which was delicious. And instead of fries, I substituted grilled corn on the cob. It definitely hit the spot! But then tonight I wasn’t hungry at all, so I didn’t even have dinner.

Mama Pea March 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm

What a cool restaurant! We had grilled cheese/tomato soup last week and it was perfect. I hope tomorrow is better for you!

(and thank you for not saying “TWSS” in this post…)

meggi March 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Yum! I haven’t even heard of pallet so I am so thrilled you reviewed your visit! I will definitely try it out! Very excited to try their brunch once it gets going too! I really need new places because i always tend to request squatters ha!

glidingcalm March 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

ooo scallops! the Boy and I have been meaning to make some soon!

and I loveee that they served grapes before dinner! how fun is that with wine?! yum!

sounds like a fun weekend!!

sorry today was poopy! hope tomorrow is better!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I hope tomorrow is a better day! Sending positive vibes your way! :)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl March 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Dessert looks cool! You’re gonna have to go back to eat that one and show it off! Eclectic but yummy sounding. Who doesn’t love pop rocks!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I love the tattoo pic at the top of the post. Makes me wanna get more ink just seeing that :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Ohhh, we had an amazing pizza over the weekend downtown- next time you visit, we’ll go there. Hugs.

RunEatRepeat March 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I kinda consider cottage cheese with sunflower seed butter sweet, not savory.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

Me too! I thought about that when I read it and then forgot to comment- maybe she DOES like sweet cottage cheese after all muahaha. BTW much as I’ve looked I simply cannot find a sunflower butter without added sugar. Grrr.

RunEatRepeat March 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

I found one at Mother’s Market by MaraNatha!!! You’re in LA right, they must have a Mother’s near you?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

Hmm, Mother’s? Never heard of it- when I’m back in LA i’ll look into it. I haven’t liked other maranatha nut butters but I’d be willing to give it a try. Thanks Monica!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

…by ‘downtown’ I mean Downtown Palm Springs where there is no traffic and no parking hassles :-) (Vs Downtown LA)

Nicole C. March 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I went to lunch with my boss today and we went to his favorite place Table34. It is exactly the type of place you would visit, non commercialized sprinkled around the US type of place. Everything is so tasty and you would never guess that it’s location would hold such a nice place. It’s like Cheers when you go in there so much, or maybe it’s his black credit card haha!

Oh and I have made cupcakes with pop rocks on them, great fun!

Erica March 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wow! What a small, small world! And I agree- local vs. chain is best in my opinion. I love that they give grapes as a starter (I would go through like 10 bowls pre dinner ;)). Your main looks perfect. Soup and grilled cheese is an awesome dinner. Sorry you had a yucky day. Tomorrow will be rocking to make up for it

melissanibbles March 13, 2012 at 1:54 am

Oh my God. There must’ve been so many hot guys at the tattoo convention.

Sorry you had a crummy day :(

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance March 13, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’ve had a few friends video tape their entire tattooing experience and try their best to coax me into watching them. It’s a looong process, and I’m sorry but not quality entertainment in my eyes.

I think I would’ve split for some scallops too ;)

Lauren March 13, 2012 at 3:52 am

Sorry to hear you had a bad day hun. Tomato soup always makes it better. :) <3 you!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 13, 2012 at 4:03 am

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the besssssst combo, especially for comfort food! I’ve watched someone get tattooed before. It’s interesting in the beginning but then it does get a little boring haha

katie March 13, 2012 at 4:27 am

The dessert with pop rocks just sounds so cool, you really need to go there this weekend and get it! I am intrigued :)

Happy Tuesday love!

<3 xoxo

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 13, 2012 at 4:40 am

That restaurant looks awesome! I am the same way with scallops. I love them but I hate how some restaurants don’t prepare them properly.

The last place I went to was Red Robin and I had a burger. :)

Lee March 13, 2012 at 5:17 am

I went to a bar last to play trivia and had a garden veggie pita and a side salad. Pretty boring. Yours looks better.

betty March 13, 2012 at 5:18 am

i looooooove the atmosphere of pallet.. plus i’m on a pallet kick and want to decorate our house with reclaimed pallets.. (like doing the who upstairs floor in pallets).

i love that you try new restaurants and hate chains. i feel like most of the restaurants around where we live our chain, so we tryyyyyy to branch out as much as we can.. most of the time we have to go into the heart of richmond to find those places, and i love downtown richmond as much as i love shopping at the grocery store on a sunday.. :)

last thing we had was sushi while my sister was in town.. lots of rolls that contained spicy tuna. yum!

Heather (Where's the Beach) March 13, 2012 at 5:21 am

Can you go back and order me the squash stack please? We tend to stick to local faves that are just super laid back. Nothing terribly exciting, but it’s nice to sit down and the waitress already know your order ;-)

Jessica March 13, 2012 at 5:28 am

We last ate at Perkins and I got a wrap with eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes. It was eh. I hate spending a bunch of money on dining out only for it to suck.
Your meal out and tomato soup and grilled cheese look AWESOME!

lindsay March 13, 2012 at 5:40 am

scallops and wine… you won me over right there. JG, I am diggin this palate! I’ll come dine with you anyday.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 13, 2012 at 5:53 am

So SHOULD I get a tattoo while in Colorado?? That’s what this post made me question.

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 13, 2012 at 6:21 am

The last restaurant I dined at was Olive Garden, surprisingly!

That’s too funny that you saw your friend and randomly discovered he owned the place now! lol

Heather @ Better With Veggies March 13, 2012 at 6:25 am

Love your travel policy, we are the same way! We actually aren’t big into chains even at home, but sometimes it’s okay and I’ll make an exception for a few local places (Taco Mac has over 300 beers, how can I pass on that?!).

Carly March 13, 2012 at 6:26 am

Those scallops look incredible! I love, love, love when they’re well made.

The last restaurant I dined at was an Italian place in downtown Charleston. I went with my tried and true Duck Confit. If duck is on the menu, I almost always order it. Loooove it.

Kacy March 13, 2012 at 6:28 am

That place looks wonderful!
I last dined at a French-ish place called Nage, and ordered baked oysters and maple glazed pork tenderloin. It was quite good :)

Meg March 13, 2012 at 6:30 am

I need to get out (to eat) more. This place looks amazing…and scallops? Yes please, in and around my mouth.

sarah @ sarah learns March 13, 2012 at 6:40 am

boo to a bad day – i hope today is better!

tomato soup + grilled cheese is one of my favorite meals to make a bad day just a bit better too. :)

Tamara March 13, 2012 at 7:12 am

Go here to read about my latest restaurant experience: http://wildbluewonder.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/a_night_at_the_roadhouse/

Well, in all honesty I ate since then Noodles & Company (Med salad with grilled chicken) because I had a free bowl coupon for my bday!

My latest favorite grilled cheese concoction is laughing cow Swiss, goat cheese, 2% sharp cheddar, turkey pepperoni and fig butter on Italian bread. SOOO good!!

clare @ fittingitallin March 13, 2012 at 8:02 am

mmm! I had Tuna Tartare and a wine flight last night!

Destini March 13, 2012 at 8:10 am

I recently went to a local place called Peasant Cookery. It is the heart of our Exchange District in Winnipeg, MB Canada. The exchange is full of beautiful old building’s that have been remolded(most of them anyways). Absolutely gorgeous atmosphere. The menu is always changing(I believe monthly) and the food is always fresh. One of our wedding gifts was a gift certificate for them, we had been previously. But it is a fantastic dinning experience. I had mussels(which are flown in fresh everyday and sooo yummy) and for dinner steel head trout. So delicious.

Corrie Anne March 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

Mmm sounds good! I’d love complimentary grapes!! Haha.

Last place we went was Firebowl Cafe… and I had an awesome stir fry. Love that place.

Jenni March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

SO glad to see you review Pallet! I’ve been dying to try it/see the menu! It’s on my to-eat list :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Gotta love an impromptu high school reunion!
I love tattoos- on other people. I have one and hate it and will probably never get another. But, I really appreciate looking at them and the intricacy of the designs (and the talent that it takes to create them!).
The restaurant looks so cute (and the menu looks awesome!) I love the typography and layout of the menu… I’m such a geek for things like that, and it would totally draw me in.

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I went to a wonderful Italian restaurant in February called Andiamo’s in Michigan, I had the best Seafood Portofino ever, finished by Creme Brulee

Tamara March 13, 2012 at 11:29 am

Dena, I’m a fellow Michigander (and 40-something… I’ll be 44 next week!) but have never eaten at Andiamo. Not sure why! Glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Maren March 13, 2012 at 11:29 am

Dang that looks delish! Hope you are having a better day girl! xo

Calee March 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Last restaurant: La Fuente (super cheap and awesome mexican in Iowa) — twice last week … Thursday and Friday. Whoops. But I got something fairly decent both times — second time was Chicken Yucantan.

ALSO — I so want to go to a tatty convention. I have several good friends that are artists, and one of them has gone to a few conventions. How fun would that be?

Janetha March 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Funny, we have a super popular restaurant here called La Puente! Ha. Maybe if I make it to Iowa I will try it. My MIL lives there.

My good friends are artists, too, and I hate them. Only because their “job” is to do what they love, create awesome artwork, and travel the world. My friend, Nick (above), has gone to conventions and guest tattooed in shops in Germany.. people pay BANK to get tattooed by an American, then he uses the money he makes to travel all around. He just got back from Egypt and Greece. Clearly I am in the wrong biz!

Calee March 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

eeek. That would be baller. All my friends who are artists are poor as shit though. So there’s that. I went to design school so I’ve got a lot of art friends.

PS one of my artist friends makes sweet mugs: http://www.etsy.com/listing/81998623/pair-of-painted-swallow-mugs

She can customize. I might have an expletive heart bowl with a word on it that I care not to repeat on the internets.

Janetha March 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hahah awesome. Checking out now!

Kelsey March 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hey have you ever looked into Ayurveda science to help with your innards? It is the sister science to yoga + prescribes a specific clean food plan for your energy type. I’ve never done it – but I’m looking into it + it seems pretty cool!

Janetha March 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Googling NOW. Thank you!

Meg March 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

those scallops look amazing sweetheart :) I love scallops, but they are quite pricey, so I don’t buy them for myself often! I was just at Costco and my mouth dropped at the price! Hehe. Oh well, I guess I’ll just treat myself every now and then ;)

The last restaurant I went to was a sushi restaurant in Toronto and it was seriously the best I have had!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Hope tomorrow is a better day! soup is total comfort food for me when it comes to ‘one of those days’. my go-to is chicken noodle with vegetables (p.s. it’s national chicken noodle soup day haha).

The last restaurant I went to was during my beach trip. I ordered the chilli prawns which were SUPER spicy and a side of veggies to share. We don’t really have ‘chain restaurants’ in australia, which is great! Lot of variety and new cafes are always popping up as well.

eliza March 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I had a quesdilla made by yours truly :)

PS we made it into the finals for our real maine wedding!

Janetha March 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm

yahoo!

Errign March 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Last restaurant I ate at was sort of a chain – owned by a local guy, but he also owns like 15 other restaurants in the state. Food is good though! I had salad with steak tips and a whoopie pie sundae. Heck. yes.

Kait March 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

THEY HAVE A VEG OPTION!!!! Thats it…I’m coming for a visit. I vote making a meal out of those desserts. You in. ;)

Last restaurant: Irish Pub for St. Patty’s Day. Before that? The all-veg Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, Vegas. Nom nom nom