march seventh.

by Janetha on March 7, 2012

in random rambles

what does march 7th mean to you? anything special? is it your birthday? if so.. happy birthday!

march 7th means two things to me.

for one, today marks FIVE years since the worst injury of my life. wow, i can’t believe it’s been five whole years.

on march 7, 2007, i was snowboarding my life away. i went nearly every day back then.. before i got old and boring. i had really built my skills (and confidence) that season and was flying off 65’ jumps like it was totally normal. later in the day, the snow had become icy and sketchy, so when i went off the 65’ foot jump for the final, fateful time.. i overshot the landing. by a lot. i was going too fast and went sailing through the air. i missed the landing completely, and instead fell onto flat, hard ground. my arm broke my fall.. thank god it wasn’t my neck or my back or my skull, right?

i was in the hospital for a week and i went from the broken photo above to being part robot, which i still am today. jealous?

i also have a gnarly scar on my left arm. i usually tell people i got bit by a shark. i am surprised with how many people actually believe that lie.

untitled

but as you can see, it has faded a lot over the years.. like this photo, from 2008:

as far as the inside goes, i still have a little bit of pain if i work my upper body really hard. my left arm always gives me a little grief and it still isn’t quite as strong as ol’ righty, despite all the strength training i do. i am just glad i have an arm, though. look on the bright side, right?

i haven’t thrown myself off any big jumps since. and i don’t plan to. i am embracing that whole “better safe than sorry” motto. you can read a more detailed flashback in this post.

and the second reason i march 7th is significant?

well, it’s national cereal day! i know, i just can’t quit with the national food holidays. i am a sucker for celebrations. and for cereal.

don’t believe me? i did a quick search that says i posted about cereal 230 times.

addicted. i also found several photos of cereal.. and me eating cereal.

typical.

warning: long & random cereal rambles ahead.

next to ice cream, cereal is my favorite food in the entire world. and if i had to choose to eat only one thing for the rest of my life, i wouldn’t pick ice cream, i’d pick cereal. there’s just more of a variety and who knows how long the rest of my life might be, you know??

growing up, my favorite after school snack was a big bowl of fruity pebbles. to this day, i crave a bowl of cereal right when i walk in the door from work. i don’t always give into this craving, but i would say i do about 31% of the time. sure, that’s a good percentage. my very favorite cereals as a kid were fruity pebbles, cinnamon toast crunch, honey nut cheerios, and frosted flakes. they’re grrrrreat!

in junior high, i was super stoked on the a la carte lunch line. i was able to purchase an individual-size container of cinnamon toast crunch and a carton of 1% milk for a cool $1.25… which left me with a little extra change from my daily lunch money allowance. cereal and extra cash? don’t mind if i do. speaking of cinnamon toast crunch.. i made my own last year. it was delicious. dangerously delicious. i ate the whole batch in less than 24 hours. i blame mama pea for that one.

my love affair with cereal continued into my late teenage years, when i lived in london. the hostel i lived at offered a free breakfast that consisted of coffee, tea, white toast with jam, and two kinds of cereal: rice krispies and corn flakes. sometimes my mom would mail me honey bunches of oats (yes, all the way from america, she also mailed me ranch seasoning!) and i would gobble that up in a few days and then it was back to the free breakfast. it was during this time that i became a cereal mixer. i used to only eat one cereal at a time, but when you only have two cereals to choose from day in and day out, you get an itch for variation.. so i started combining my cereals. and i never looked back. i always combine my cereals now!

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

and, for good measure, how about exhibit C:

and by the way, all three of those cute spoons were gifts from momma b! she got them in costa rica.

my current favorite way to eat cereal is to blend up a vanilla protein shake using almond milk, a scoop of protein powder, and ice.. then using it as the “milk” for my cereal. this definitely helps me stay full for longer than using straight up milk.

photo

i like the protein punch this method delivers.

another way to get protein with your cereal is to eat it with greek yogurt. i love topping chobani with cereal.

and then when the yogurt is gone, i fill the container up with more cereal and some milk. usually more than once. okay, usually more than twice.. hey, in my defense, those chobani containers are small!

i have made my own peanut butter chocolate protein cereal before.

each serving had 15 grams of protein, but sometimes it’s easier to just grab a box of kashi golean, yaknow?

in honor of today’s holiday, i asked my fellow fitfluential ambassadors for some unique, out of the (cereal) box ways to use cereal! here is what they came up with.

maria used uncle sam cereal to make gooey, three layer chocolate peanut butter brownies.

courtney (aka the cookie MASTER) made cookies using the latest and greatest cheerio variety: peanut butter.

brittany used brown crispy rice cereal to make a way more razzle dazzle treat than the plain old rice crispy treats.

julie used bran flakes (i love those!) to make a pumped up protein bar. how funny that this recipe was posted only two days after last year’s national cereal day! oh well, close enough.

i think the most unique submission i received was jana’s use of one of my FAVORITE cereals, shredded spoonfuls. she threw it into her food processor and made cereal protein pancakes! clever girl.

and if boxed cereal isn’t you thing, you can always make your own! check out a few fun versions:

OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. i just can’t shut up about cereal! this post has become waaaay longer than i anticipated.

i need to stop talking and go find a spoon.

1. have you ever broken a bone? tell me the story behind it!

2. what was your favorite childhood cereal? and your favorite one now?

Debbie (Accidently Delish) March 8, 2012 at 6:32 am

I have never broken a bone!! Knock on wood!

And I think I have an unhealthy obsession with cereal! I love it! My favorite classic is golden grahams! And I recently found an organic one lower in sugar so yay! Oh and I am totally making those pb chocolate protein cereal. Looks amazing!

(I’m also going to take this time to apologize for adding you in about every iPhone game. Haha. Me = ohthatgrrl)

Jessica March 8, 2012 at 6:34 am

My parents were cereal nazis when we were little so we never had any fun kinds around. And when they would splurge on cinnamon toast crush that shit would be gone in like 15 minutes. So the day I walked into my college cafeteria and saw a mile-long row of cereal, the heavens opened up and I was a changed woman. Now I have no less than 6 boxes in my cupboard at all times.

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 8, 2012 at 6:42 am

Awe thanks for including me even though I’m a misfit! :)
And people probably believe you about the shark because you’re just that bad ass! ;)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 8, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’m loving the look of your peanut butter protein cereal! I’ve never attempted homemade cereal before!

Growing up I always loved special k fruit and yogurt. I’m pretty sure I ate a bowl of it every single morning from 7th-12th grade! Lately though my favorite has been wheat chex! It’s so fun and crunchy!

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 7:28 am

We are one in the same! Cereal is my kryptonite. I used to have a bowl before bed every single night and realized it wasn’t the best bedtime snack daily so now I do switch it up. But if I am ever unsatisfied at night, I will ALWAYS avert to a bowl of cereal. Yes, cereal is the best food in the world!

Sara @my less serious life March 8, 2012 at 9:21 am

Lauren i just scrolled up through this list of comments and had to reply to yours. ‘Cereal is my kryptonite’ is possibly the most perfect thing you could have said. Fantastic. :)

sarah @ sarah learns March 8, 2012 at 7:43 am

the closest thing to cereal that i eat regularly is granola! i found a great deal on some cereal a while ago and snapped up 4 boxes for something like a dollar a box. but they’re still sitting in my pantry.

once i’m out of granola i’ll start eating it up!

The Delicate Place March 8, 2012 at 8:04 am

honestly, you sound pretty bad ass with the snowboarding story but shark is pretty respectable as well :) happy anniversary! i am glad you are alive and thriving despite an injury like that. yeouch! not gonna lie, i miss the crunch of cereal and the chew. i could eat tons of it too which is prob why i always felt crappy afterwards (oh hey gluten, you wreck my guts). one of my fave early college combos was putting cereal ON MY ICE CREAM. best of both worlds, do you do this?!

i have broken my toes 3x lol (barefoot soccer, dropping a cabinet on it when we remodeled our kitchen and lastly, rolling a 300lb liquid nitrogen tank over it at work–that one was the worst!).

Janetha March 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

YES of course I do! It’s the best!

Ali March 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

I have a long scar from a surgical incision on the top of my hand, and have used the shark story successfully as well! BTW, thanks for all the uses for cereal. Love the stuff.

Heather @ Better With Veggies March 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

Speaking of snowboarding, just over 2 weeks until our trip to Utah to hit the slopes!! =)

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

I broke several bone’s in my hand and thumb falling down the basement stairs years ago and I had to be put in a cast bag with a shoulder harness, well after 6 weeks they took me out of it only to find out that I had broken my collar bone on the same side and it had already started to heal back so there was nothing they could do about it. I can never think of a cool story to tell on how it happened, I just missed a step while holding a a laundry basket, boring …

Jessy (squeezetheday) March 8, 2012 at 8:50 am

OMG I love cereal!! It’s seriously one of the most addicting types of foods, though. I love the crunchiness! When I was a kid, my and y brother’s breakfast every day (for some period of time) was Chocapic cereal with cold milk. In my teens, I was a big fan of Nestle’s Fitness cereal, especially the honey type. For about a year I was also obsessed with Embi (granola-like) müsli with yogurt or chocolate pieces, eaten with yogurt. OK I’m hungry now. :)

Coco March 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am 23 and have never broken a bone…knock on wood. I did get 14 stitches in my chin when I was 8 though.

As for cereal….

Then: Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch (basically anything with an insane amount of sugar in it)

Now: Any variety of Cheerios, Kashi Honey Sunshine, and Honey Bunches of Oats

Brittany March 8, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m pretty sure we are twins in the food department. Ice cream and cereal are two of my favorite foods. I used to eat cereal almost every afternoon after school or after dinner (or both)! haha. My favorite was cinnamon toast crunch, but I also loved Cinnamon Life. My mom was the best and we always had a nice variety of cereal to choose from – at least 4 different kinds at any given time. :)

I still crave cereal after dinner and I think it stems from my childhood. I like to make protein cereal with protein powder in the milk and kashi go lean with sliced bananas or strawberries. So good!

Sara @my less serious life March 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

i love cereal, too. really i do. this is especially surprising considering when i was a kid i HATED cereal. but, my love for cereal was born during college when they had that cereal bar. and i learned to love it and combine it and i really hardly ever have anything else in the morning because that is always what i crave.

recently, i’ve been learning all about finding the healthiest and best tasting cereal. i have a little blog experiment going on, ‘the cereal experiment’ to be exact. if you want, check out my most recent post about it! although i have reviewed about 12 boxes so far. i hope you enjoy! http://mylessseriouslife.blogspot.com/2012/02/cereal-experiment-quaker-oat-bran.html

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre March 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

Oh my gosh…those xrays…holy crap. But your battle scar is cool and makes you tougher!

I never broke a bone, but had surgery on both my hips.

I LOVED cinnamon toast crunch. I also liked that reese’s cereal. yeah, I started early with the PB obsession.

Calee March 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

Ha — you weren’t kidding. I actually think I remembered your post from LAST year about the injury anniversary but that it was also cereal day.

My favorite cereal now is Love Crunch … any flavor. But I’m pretty sure there’s a LOT of gluten in it because my stomach hates me the next day. Totally worth it?

When I was a kid it was honey nut cheerios with bananas in it. Until we figured out that bananas make my tummy hurt. But I still love the combo. Damn bananas!

Katie March 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’ve seen that picture on your blog before, but it always gives me the heebies. Ouch!

I broke my elbow once while trying to climb over a barbed wire fence. My feet got tangled in the wire and down I went. Funny thing…I was trying to break into my high school track so I could go running. Wish I was cooler.

And I always combine my cereals, too! Always.

Destini March 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have broken every one of my toes…at least twice. Sure is nothing like your arm. The xray makes me cringe and rub my arm. I am glad you are okay!

My favorite cereal as a kid was Fruit Loops. I liked the name, i loved the box and I loved the large amount of sweetness from every loop. One time my mom got me the no name brand and tried to pretend like it wasn’t. Oh i knew! And it never happened again. (clearly I was an only child till i was 7 and was a brat..well not really. But yeah I was a brat)

:D

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail March 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

WOW! That was a break! I broke my nose at age 12. I was warming up for a softball game, fielding ground balls and here heads up. “bam” line drive straight in my nose which meant a clean break. I played the next 3 weeks with a helmet at all times.

Cereal is a fav snack and you just made me crave it! My hubby is the king of adding protein powder to his cereal!

Carrie @ MyHealthyAddictions March 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

Favorite cereal when I was a kid was prob good ol Honey Nut Cheerios. I never eat cereal anymore, but if I was going to it would probably be Cracklin Oat Bran or Honey Bunches :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

I used to LOVE cinnamon toast crunch! Unfortunately, now the only cereal I can relaly eat is granola (delicious!) or puffed rice or something. No matter how I dress it up, it’s never as good so I rarely eat cereal!

deepsouthrunner March 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm

March 7th is actually my and my husband’s dating anniversary! Yesterday marked 8 years. I’m sorry the date does not hold such a pleasant memory for you! Ouch :( I’ve never broken a bone so I can’t even imagine!
My favorite childhood cereal was probably Rice Krispy Treats Cereal or Lucky Charms, and now it’s Honey Nut Cheerios, though I recently discovered the PB Cheerios and that probably has become my #1!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

this post isn’t fair. y’know why? I now have the need to walk downstairs and eat a big bowl of cereal. is it okay to celebrate a day late? ;)

Kait March 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

OMG I love every single thing about this post. Including the fact that people believe you got bit by a shark. Totally stick with that story!

Anything by Nature’s Path is my absolute fave. Dorset granolas are to-die-for. I ate an entire box in a couple of days. Whoops. Now that I’ve discovered coconut milk…my obsession went from mild to outta control! Growing up we only ever had cheerios but I always loved getting cinnamon toast crunch from friends’ houses!

Also, what were you doing in London????

Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm

OMG I should’ve found your blog earlier. First of all–you are AMAZING for overcoming that accident!

Second–I am in love with cereal like you wouldn’t believe (okay, maybe YOU would!). I consider myself a cereal mixologist and love to incorporate it into many of my recipes (like my sweet ‘n salty breakfast bowl: http://lifewithcheeseburgers.com/2012/02/09/my-favorite-fruity-protein-breakfast-bowl/)

Glad I found you!

janetha March 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

Thanks for stopping by! Off to check your link!

Bilas May 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Also curious about the iantnst oatmeal comment. I recently switched to steel-cut oats because I wanted to control what was added into the oatmeal, but I didn’t realize iantnst oatmeal was bad . I’ve found that if I start the oats cooking right when I get up, then by the time I take a shower and the kids are out of bed, all I have to do is add in some flavoring and breakfast is ready. It tastes great warmed up after being in the fridge for a day or two, so I tend to make large batches. I also make a big egg + some kind of meat and potato casserole once a week and we eat some of that mid-morning (I have a preschooler and a toddler and one on the way). Eating fruit is easy around here I keep a big tub of frozen fruit chunks in the freezer and we have that for treats/dessert throughout the day.

Errign March 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’ve broken seven of my fingers at different times and my ankle. I snapped my ankle during a snowball fight and I broke it right across the growth plate, which meant I got screws…and then screws taken out three months later…lame!

glidingcalm March 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

1) I love mixing diff cereals too! and those spoons are SO FUN! i want to find some more cute plates/forks/spoons. oooh or mugs. I need to add to my collection

2) that scar is pretty bad-ass! sounds sooo painful though! gaaa . makes me squirm in my seat a little looking at that xray.

HAPPY DAY TO YOU , J!

love you

Corrie Anne March 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm

WOO! I’ve been so into those PB cheerios lately! I want to try those cookies!!!! The dulce de leche flavor is the yum too!

Andrea March 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Oh my! I’m so glad that I’m not alone in my cereal addiction. I have a bottomless appetite for it. I love a good bowl of rice krispies loaded up with marshmallows and milk so that it’s like my own breakfast rice krispie treat. I also think any bowl is better with extras like raisins or bananas. Oh heaven! Your protein cereal milk idea is genius. Feel free to talk more about cereal anytime :)

Heather March 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Wow crazy scar, I thought mine was badass from a meat slicer lol. And how have you managed to sum up all of my addictions from cereal, to chobani to peanut butter chocolate…. unreal

fox peterson March 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

i’ve always been an “early riser” (see like 4 am). as a kid my parents used to leave out for me a bowl of kix with foil on top of it. our kitchen was always freezing cold and there was always a big gallon of crappy brand milk in the fridge (no-fat cheap grocery about to expire stuff). i remember pouring that cold milk into the cold kix and sitting in the cold kitchen in front of a tiny space heater watching commercials for nordic track until “mr. wizard” came on nick(na-nick-nick-na-nick-nick-nick)elodeon at 5:30 am

although my food tastes have changed a lot, i’m still known for a brekkie across from the space heater. cereal for me triggers that thought. enjoy the nostalgia “y’all”.

Mary (A Merry Life) March 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm

OMG I LOVE CEREAL.

I used to eat it every day after coming home from school. For like 18 years. I try to limit it now and rarely ever buy a box because if I do it will be gone waaaay too fast. I started mixing cereals too last year and it’s such a good idea!

Favorite childhood cereals: Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Peanut Butter Captain Crunch, Honey Nut Cheerios, Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes

Favorite cereals now: Any kind of Captain Crunch cereal, Kashi GoLean, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon toast crunch

Yeah okay pretty much every cereal ever is good.

alan March 9, 2012 at 2:37 am

Hi janetha,
surfed onto your great site had to say hello and am happy that your humerus bone fracture has healed and you’re playing it smart by playing it safe.
I broke my ankle in three places skiing back in 1995 and after that I took your approach-that was the last time I skied down mountains. The pain that came into my right leg after a half an hour I still feel today .
So I have not thought about it until reading your story-its been suppressed in my mind. Now I will cross country ski only in flagstaff arizona.
As far as cereal goes I like Familia Swiss Müesli a swiss cereal similar to granola but better I ate this as a child. did you ever try it?
Best wishes happy birthday
alan

Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 9, 2012 at 4:19 am

Holy moly that is quite an injury you went through! Like I have never seen anything quite like, wow!

Oh and this post was petty much amazing, I loveeee any type of cereal! When I was younger, I would ALWAYS have 2-3 massive bowls before school and all full of the good stuff- Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cocoa Krispies, Cinnamon Life, Cap’n Crunch, Reeses Puffs, Alpha Bits… memories. I would be stuffed and then hungry again about an hour later, made sense with all of the sugar :)

I still really do love those cereals, but I 90% of the time choose the “healthier ones”- any type of Kashi (specifically the crunch kinds), those Sunshine cereals, err… others that I can’t think of right now ha

I want to try to those pb Cheerios now!

jessiker March 9, 2012 at 6:26 am

Well, you know this but I shattered my wrist in 8 places in a horseback riding accident gone wrong. 5 re-corrective surgeries after that since the doctor set one of my bones wrong. It’s a bone in your wrist that looks like a crescent moon and mine set 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Good times. I had to get pins in and removed. Let’s just say my summer was not the best summer that year.

I LOVED peanut butter crunch as a kid (still do but it cuts the roof of my mouth) I think that was probably my favorite. My mom never let us eat food like that so once in a while when she came home with PBC instead of grapenuts… it was something special!!!

I love quaker oat squares now, Also cracklin oat bran. Definitely my two favorites.

Remember when we played 20 questions? Hahaha. Cereal will always remind me of you and that.

Kerry March 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I just discovered your blog, and I love it! I’m totally obsessed with cereal too! I have to have a bowl every night as a snack, and sometimes for breakfast or lunch! I’ve been making a lot of popped amaranth lately – sooooo good! I also love peanut butter puffins, oatmeal squares, and heritage flakes. Mixing cereals is the only way to go!

cookie March 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I never broke a bone, but once I had a cracked joint capsule in one of my fingers once. We had put a pony in front of a small sleigh, and at one point the sleigh went over a frozen mole hill and I fell off. Had to have a cast even though it was not broken. Fun writing an essay with a cast. Of course it was the right hand…