weekend things.

by Janetha on March 4, 2012

in eating out,meals,moves,random rambles

hello and welcome to another sunday night. or, chances are it is already monday by the time you read this. so welcome to a new work week!

my weekend was basically uneventful, but it seems like i still have a lot to tell you about. i am not surprised, since i could probably ramble a good 500 words about something as boring as watching paint dry. here are a few things from my weekend.

saturdays are awesome because i get to sleep in, eat late, and go to a nearly empty gym. after eating a savory breakfast of eggs and a toasted whole wheat bagel with cream cheese, i needed something sweet. i went with half of a banana smeared with peanut butter.. that i’d made friday night with my vitamix. FYI: when it comes to making peanut butter, using the food processor is way more efficient than using the vitamix. this has 100% to do with trying to get the peanut butter out of the container it was made in.

anyway, after my savory breakfast with a sweet ending, i headed to the gym for some shoulders and abs.  my workout consisted of ten different moves, three sets of each.

Screen Shot 2012 03 04 at 7 34 58 PM

i finished with 20 minutes on the elliptical because i am trying to be good about doing cardio (it’s the worst thing ever.)

let’s see, what else went on on saturday? (i just sat here staring blankly at my computer screen, thinking REAL hard about what i did after the gym. oh man, my memory is the worst thing ever.. even worse than cardio. i did finally remember what we did!)

we headed to the credit union to grab some information so we can refinance our vehicle loans. i have never refinanced anything in my life, but with rates at 2.59% and our current loans at 6.49% and 4.25%, we are crazy not to. and it’s actually a really painless process! we will be saving hundreds of dollars a month with our new APR.. but we are still going to make payments as though we are still on our current APR so more money goes toward the principal amounts. that’ll help get both mine and marshall’s cars paid off quicker. we also pay a little extra principal on our home mortgage each month.. but that one is going to take a wee bit longer to whittle down. ha.

saturday night i had plans to go have a few drinks at a friend’s house.. but then when that plan turned into my girlfriends hitting the club to go dancing, i had to opt out. i didn’t like to go dancing when i was in my prime (i HATE dancing).. so now that i am old and boring, i for sure won’t be hitting the dance floor any time soon. or ever. not even at my best friend’s wedding (don’t hate me for that, kristen.. you know i can’t dance!)

instead of making a fool of myself at the club, i opted to stay home and bake cookies.. because i am a grandma and grandmas like to bake. or so i am told. i have seven (well, had seven, now i have six) 16 oz bags of trader joe’s tempting trail mix.

IMG 2323

let’s take a time out from the baking talk so i can tell you WHY i have so many bags of this stuff. once upon a time in october, i was in LA and bought marshall a couple 4 oz bags of tempting trail mix at trader joe’s. fast forward to february 17th when he actually decided to TRY this trail mix. not sure what took him so long, but he ate those two 4 oz bags in no time flat. as he was polishing off the last crumbs, he said that we HAD to have more and to send a plea out to my readers for 10 bags of trail mix. so i did.

Screen Shot 2012 03 04 at 8 12 05 PM

lucky for marshall, several of you offered to send ten bags of trail mix! so thoughtful of you all. i took andrea up on her offer and said thankyouverymuch! when andrea told me that it was fifty-something dollars for the trail mix, i was surprised. the little 4 oz bags were only like $1.29. i had her grab some almond meal, too, but there was no way that it could have added up to that much money.  oh, except she got ten SIXTEEN oz bags! i had no idea that this size of bag existed! all i could do was laugh, because 160 ounces of trail mix is such an enormous amount. awesome.

it’s a good thing we did get so much, though, because in less than 24 hours marshall ate an entire bag of the stuff! man, talk about tempting. he took two bags for his lunchbox to eat while working and i opened a bag to keep in the pantry. i kept sneaking handful after handful–i couldn’t stop going back for more! so on saturday night i decided to put the remaining 12 oz of the open bag into a batch of cookies.

IMG 2320

i used my favorite cookie recipe and just replaced the chocolate chips with the trail mix. this made for a perfect cookie–the trail mix has cashews, almonds, peanuts, dried cherries, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips. umm. yeah. they were as good as you’d think. and i ate about three cookies in dough form, then another two when they were done baking (with a mug of skim milk for dunking.) the batch made 30 cookies, so luckily marshall’s friends were there to eat most of them and we only have 8 left. well, we had nine but i ate one for breakfast…

i am sure we will be out of the trail mix again soon.. i actually really want to use a bag of it to make cait’s tempting nut butter.. how cool is that idea?!

ohhkay.. what else? shall we move onto today? yes, let’s.

marshall and i woke up and both wanted to head to the gym. i wanted to do the elliptical again because my whole body was sore from my leg workout the other day and my shoulders/abs workout i already mentioned. i needed to take it easy! marshall said he wanted to work out for a little over an hour, so i decided to ride with him so we didn’t have to take two cars. i figured i would do some cardio and then maybe stretch a bit until he was done with his chest/tris workout. (i never devote time to stretching. like, EVER. i am bad. i also cannot touch my toes.)

i hopped on the elliptical and started doing my thing. i get really bored really easily, so i had a lot of entertainment on hand. i started out by watching about 15 minutes of ensino man because it was on TV. not sure why i ever loved that movie so much.. or why i was so into pauly shore, for that matter. anyway, that got old, so i turned to my iPad and read a couple chapters out of the girl who kicked the hornet’s nest. i am about 200 pages in and loving it. i did eventually tire of that, so i turned to my iPhone and played a few rousing rounds of draw something–i am officially addicted to this game and am neglecting all my other games.. so if you are waiting for me to go on words with friends.. that’s why i haven’t. i checked instagram. i checked facebook. i checked twitter. i cleaned out my entire text message inbox (and sent a few texts to this girl) and deleted old contacts that i didn’t need anymore.

i did all that, and marshall still hadn’t come to get me. i had been on the elliptical for NINETY FIVE MINUTES when he finally came to get me. holy geez. that was, by far, the longest cardio session of my life. of my entire life, folks! in all my almost 29 years (yikes) i have never had a cardio session that lasted that long. HOW do people run half marathons? how? they don’t even have iPads and iPhones and TVs to entertain them. and now my knees hurt. i just don’t get how people do that sort of thing regularly. it is not for me.

moving on..

i cleaned up quickly and we headed to salt lake city for some much needed brunch. it was a glorious day with not a cloud in the sky!

IMG 2246

we met marshall’s friends at one of our favorite spots: millcreek cafe.

IMG 2256

it was so warm that we were able to wait outside and bask in the sun until our table was ready.

IMG 2254

i sprang for a coffee today, i hadn’t had one since last sunday. i decided that coffee will be a sunday thing for me.

IMG 2277

i ordered a scramble that had three eggs, cheddar jack, mushrooms, spinach, and onions. it came with a side of pico, hashbrowns, and wheat toast.

IMG 2268

i wanted something sweet, too, so marshall and i decided to split an order of french toast with fruit and whipped cream. excellent idea, marshall. that’s why i married you. so i could have someone to split french toast with.

IMG 2274

marshall is a growing boy, so he also ordered a scone to go with his meal. a utah scone is not the same kind of scone the rest of the world has. a utah scone is fried dough and typically comes with honey butter. and i stole half.

IMG 2272

after an hour of brunching, we paid our bill and headed downtown for some grocery shopping.

IMG 2298

the new harmon’s recently opened on state street and first south.  it’s huge!

IMG 2300IMG 2302

it was huge and awesome and RIDICULOUSLY crowded. marshall was with me so i didn’t get to walk up and down every single aisle and spend two solid hours there like i would have done on my own, but that’s okay, i still fully enjoyed the experience. and probably saved a lot of money since i didn’t wander aimlessly for hours.

once we got home i headed right back out for my weekly costco run.. i left marshall at home for this one and got my every-aisle-strolling therapy in at costco. in addition to my weekly staples (produce, yogurt, eggs, bread) i ended up finding an awesome digital food scale for only $18 and some handy dandy applesauce-to-go packs. there are always fun, new things at costco!

i worked up an appetite with all that aisle-strolling, so i made dinner right when i walked in the door. i made this cheesy lasagna soup which i found through rachel’s blog.

IMG 2309

i followed the recipe for the most part, except i used chicken sausage instead of pork and used cottage cheese instead of ricotta. i also took the author’s advice and cooked the noodles separately and added them in to the finished product. we had picked up some sourdough bread bowls at harmon’s so i served the soup in those.. excellent choice.

the best part about this soup was the cheesy yum–with a name like cheesy yum, you know it’s going to be good!

IMG 2313

it was a great dinner and we have plenty of leftovers for lunch.

here are the rest of the dinners in this week’s lineup:

should be good!

wow. i sure managed to ramble my face off about a whole lot of nothing.

what was your weekend highlight?

Sana March 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My knees hurt and I can’t touch my toes. I feel old.

Momma b March 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Love your ramblings! Cardio to the max…I’ll bet your knees DO hurt!
Your cheesy yum looks so good and I’m going to steal some of your dinner menus…gonna see if I can still cook :-)

Sending love your way xoxo!!

Janetha March 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

We have lots of leftover soup.. do you want some for dinner tomorrow night??

Franzi March 4, 2012 at 9:48 pm

My highlight was watching the Toronto Raptors vs. Golden State Warriors game.. well actually it was eating sweet potato fries at the stadium :D this soup looks amazing!!

Jen March 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I love Harmon’s more than life itself! It’s my favorite grocery store of all time! Maybe I’m biased since my dad is friends with Bob and Randy and worked there for 30 years but I think the extra money it costs to shop there is well worth it for all the super fresh and the locally grown produce.

Janetha March 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

TOTALLY agree 100%!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl March 4, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Even though you re-financed… you will continue to make the same previous monthly payment, yes? You will save oodles of money. Well, 2+% is pretty low. So maybe not oodles paying it off early. Well, it will be paid off early if you do so. That is always good. ;)

Lat raises… bleck. haha. actually I am getting better at them. but not lifting 15#. so many darn muscle sections in the arms… always takes me way longer than lower body workout.

Q: do you life everyday? or keep a similar BFL schedule?

Janetha March 4, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I typically lift 4-5 days a week. I devote one or two days to legs. I mix up the upper body splits.. like one week I will do a day of chest/tris, back/bis, and shoulders/abs.. then the next week I will do a day of bis/tris, back/shoulders, chest/abs. I never to my entire upper body in a day like with BFL, though.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl March 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for that info. It would definitely make it easier to split the upper body workout in regards to time management. Not that I mind being at the gym. but family and work beckons my attention, too.

Janetha March 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

When I was doing BFL, my upper body days always took less than an hour! I just don’t feel like my arms developed as much as they have today.. they leaned out, but there wasn’t a lot of muscle growth!

Marisa March 4, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I don’t comment much, but I read your blog every day & I love that you have to go up & down every isle when you shop. It cracks me up!!! I do the same thing. :)

Janetha March 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Yes! We would be great shopping partners :) I always have to go alone so I can get my stroll on haha

kaylie March 4, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Highlight of my weekend was getting my nails done for the first time in 2 yrs! And also smiling on this inside when the lady doing my toes shrieked a little when she saw my running blisters ;)

Nicole S March 4, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Sounds like a nice weekend! Your menu for the week sounds fantastic! I took the kiddo to the dentist and the cat to the vet. Makes Monday seem easy!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

Weekend highlight was shopping for stationary. This year’s colour: purple. I got a pretty new binder, notebook, and some pensI spent way too much money, and was late for my first day at uni, but hey…at least I looked the part haha.

I laughed when I read about ur cardio boredom. I feel the exact same way. This week I decided to bust out some new routines though…and boy did they kick my butt! But the time flew past which was good :) Hope u have a good start to the week!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 5, 2012 at 2:06 am

fried dough and typically comes with honey butter <– that sounds like a perfect thing. YUM!

I just went and clicked on your fave choc chip cookie dough link..I was the first comment from 2009…throwback post! Wow! I don't need 3 dozen cookies though! Have you ever halved it?

Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 5, 2012 at 4:02 am

I am so not good about stretching either, although i’m trying to be better about it. so much good food this weekend! yum!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 5, 2012 at 4:58 am

I think my jaw dropped hearing you say 95 mins of cardio. Haha!

I’m hungry after reading your post – trail mix cookies, brunch…both look droolworthy. Good thing it is time for breakfast!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 5, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’m the opposite of you- I could do cardio all day, but get so bored lifting! I think that the sole reason I became a Bodypump instructor was so that I got PAID to strength train!
Also- that backdrop of the mountains in one of your photos is just amazing. I hope you never take it for granted!
Greg can’t go grocery shopping with me. I take FOREVER and get lost in my own little world. It drives him crazy. He makes a list, goes in and buys only exactly what is on the list, and leaves. (How does anyone do that?!)

Joy March 5, 2012 at 5:34 am

Alright – so do I need to download this draw game???

And my highlight (and I totally tweeted it) was I went to go see my friend in the hospital and just as I got there her dr did too so I went and waited in the lobby with a cup of zen tazo tea with soy and splenda omg it was amazing!!!! I really was transported to a spa… Good thing too since the docs were with her for over half an hour!

Erica March 5, 2012 at 5:40 am

I think its so comical that you hate cardio :) I actually used to dislike lifting, but now I like it! That is a whole lotta trail mix- but that stuff is addicting. Now I want to bake cookies. Glad you had such a nice weekend. My highlight? Our fancy dinner out Saturday night

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 5, 2012 at 5:46 am

WOW! 95 mins on the elliptical? That’s the worst of the worst to me–I’m lucky if I can keep myself on it for 10 mins! Good for you!!

And the highlight of my weekend was going into NYC to see War Horse at Lincoln Center on Saturday!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy March 5, 2012 at 6:37 am

Cardio is whack. I keep waiting for the day when I start liking it, but it hasn’t come yet. And I ended up doing 60 min on the treadmill waiting for my car to get fixed on Saturday, which is probably the longest I’ve ever been on a treadmill in my life. When they called and said “You’re car’s done” I replied “THANK GOD!” I think I scared the poor boy.

Lauren March 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

Haha, I can’t really contemplate running for that long now that I don’t do it anymore. I guess you just get used to it and it becomes second nature. But boy let me tell you, now that I’m not wasting 2 hours of my life running around for no reason, I have so much more free time! It’s glorious!
Glad you are taking advantage of the CU’s awesome rates right now. The mortgage rates are also at a shocking low. A good time to refinance all around!
Happy Monday hun!

Carbzilla March 5, 2012 at 7:23 am

I fell down the trail mix hole a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn’t pretty. Had to cut myself off, cold turkey. (plus I’m having weird reactions to almonds)

I just told Chris yesterday at Sam’sClub “we don’t have to go down every aisle!” it was late and we’d just driven 3 hours home from Portland, and I just wanted to get in and out. We spent $250. :(

Way to go on the refinancing. Smart cookie.
Luv.

Michelle March 5, 2012 at 7:26 am

I have to go up and down every aisle when I shop too!! I shop at a Super Target and go on Saturday morning before all the families are there so it’s pretty mellow…..I drink my latte and just stroll around and sometimes I find some really good deals! My hubby will not do it though…..refuses……so I don’t take him shopping with me :-)

Cait's Plate March 5, 2012 at 7:43 am

Yay! Definitely try the tempting nut butter! It’s SO SO good! :)

kerry March 5, 2012 at 7:49 am

you have some of the funniest tories and best recipes, yum!

Andrea March 5, 2012 at 8:01 am

Lol, my tj’s doesn’t have little bags…enjoy! Oh and thanks for the card it made my day!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

i want to face plant in the middle of that french toast!

betty March 5, 2012 at 8:24 am

i despise any kind of store opening.. too many people, yuck.

STUFT Mama March 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

I love your rambling posts. :) 95 minutes on the elliptical. I should try mulittasking. Ha ha. That brunch looks amazing and I’m jealous of your pretty snowy mountains (and that yummy looking soup). Let meknow if you need more trail mix! They have bigger bags of it! :) Better bargain. :)

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot March 5, 2012 at 8:42 am

Yum! That food looks delicious!

Amanda March 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

Glad to see cauliflower crust pizza finally made the menu :)

Nicole C March 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

We celebrate a first birthday for a little friend of our named Cru (his middle name is Theodore Rex aka T-Rex). The highlight came when his parents asked if we wanted to play scribblish with them. Hilarious name that ends up so inappropriate, and you have to draw everything!

Amy March 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

that sounds sounds awesome…i think i need to try that. my weekend highlight was running 12 miles in NICE temps!! it was like, 45, sunny, no wind…perfect. i actually got warm yay!

Lisa March 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

I love your ‘rambles’. It’s fun hearing what you did on the weekend…more exciting then me so I live vicariously through you LOL!! BTW I go up and down every aisle in a grocery store. It’s fun!!

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs March 5, 2012 at 10:21 am

OMG the new Harmons downtown is NUTS! It’s the closest Harmons to where I live, I’d actually never been in one before, and I was overwhelmed. I also went with my husband, and he didn’t want to wander the isles either, LAME! I think we should have a Harmons date and wander and check everything out :)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 5, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m about to be 29 too. I’m positively vomitous about it.

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

Mmmm cookies and coffee on the weekend….2 of my FAV’s!!!!!

What a lovely sounding weekend!

xxoo

fitscally responsible March 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

I got engaged last Thursday so we celebrated all weekend. yay!

We also discovered an awesome new restaurant. It looks about as awesome as a low-budget Chinese restaurant on the outside, but it was actually very nice inside the restaurant.

katie March 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

Holy cardio! Haha!

Oh that damn trail mix, I am off to get some more actually in a little here, Mike said I had to go TODAY to get him more, he loves it! Its crack I tell you!

Love you!

Abby Anderson March 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

Oh my gosh that soup looks amazing!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Had a great weekend! Weather is improving here in MI and I’m loving it

bonnie March 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love this post – probably because I like you so much! :D Your ramblings are never boring and always fun for me to read for whatever reason – just like following along with your days…thanks for sharing with us! That soup looks delicious and I kind of wish that Mikey liked sweet things so we could split them…NOT one of the reasons I married him. ;) But spending lots of chill time with him this weekend was certainly one highlight from my weekend! Here’s to a great week, friend!

meggi March 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ooo we’ve never been to Millcreek Cafe! We will definitely have to check it out. Sunday brunch is one of my favorite meals of the week! I also have been wanting to check out that new Harmons but thought I’d wait until the traffic died down a little! I will have to give it a spin!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm

WOW. 95 mins on the elliptical?! NEw record, much?! hah. I love doing half marathons actually, it’s a great distance :)

Kait March 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I effing adore your rambling posts…they never let me down when it comes to causing a smile. :)

Also this: “i couldn’t wait to check it out. some girls get excited about the new lululemon or nordstrom opening.. i get excited about a grocery store. fact.” I mean I did this: http://wp.me/p1V73F-V So I totally feel you!

In fact after finding out about JHSPH I searched for the following: yoga studio, Trader Joe’s, Wegmans, Costco. Clearly I have priorities! :)

the delicate place March 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

my weekend highlight was sleeping in until 930…i’m a total early bird. awful! we went to the art museum which was a blast since the weather sucked! i was gonna offer you some of that trail mix but i see you have plenty to hold you for a while lol. holy crap that is a ton of ellipticizing! i ran 1 HM in my life and now i wonder what was wrong with me haha. 1hr 55mins of cardio was enough for a lifetime. ok at least since 2008 anyway. coffee is my weekend thing except for the fact that i am chugging it today at work bc it’s free. hey it’s monday!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

1. I want those breakfast foods
2. I want those cookies
3. I’m kinda hungry…
4. Weekend highlight napping, being a lazy woman and baking muffins + making balls!

Alaina March 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm

My weekend highlight was PR’ing my 5k this past Saturday! I have another this Saturday so I’m hoping to be even faster! :-)

Have a great week!

MCM Mama March 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’m not sure I could do 95 minutes on an elliptical. I’d much rather run for two hours LOL.

Your food porn pictures are making me hungry – and I just ate LOL.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Putting trail mix in cookies is genius! :)

pure2raw twins March 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

weekend highlight was making a huge business decision :)
now we just have a ton of work ahead of us. yikes.

Julie March 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

After reading this post, I went out and bought a bag of the Tempting Trail Mix. I ate 2+ servings! So good!

elise March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

ida WAY rather bake than hit up the clubs…add in a tea and crossword and im jet set. i may as well move into the retirement home now.