moustache man + scenes from manzanillo.

by Janetha on February 15, 2012

in love and marriage,meals,travel

hey guys!

well, the results are in. the majority of us like the LOOK of facial hair on dudes but don’t like the scratchy, painful scruffness that comes when kissing a bearded fellow. now you know.

so, i have to post about valentine’s day because i know i will want to look back to see what i did. let’s face it: i have no memory and if i didn’t have this blog i’d be completely hopeless when it comes to recalling events.

i went to the gym last night for an easy 40 minutes on the bike while reading the latest issue of shape mag. i made the assumption that we’d have leftovers since we really have a lot of leftovers in our fridge, but marshall had other plans. he asked how long i’d be gone and there was a grocery bag on the counter with secret ingredients, so i knew he had a plan up his sleeve.

when i got home from the gym, the house smelled incredible. he had been hard at work making fish tacos!

marshall made me ground beef tacos on valentine’s day in 2009, 2010, and 2011.. but in the past year, he has developed a love for fish (yay!) so he went out of his way to pick up some fresh corvina from the fish market and made a special valentine’s meal.

i was really impressed with his culinary skills. for the fish, he sautéed tomatillos, red and green peppers, onions, and cilantro and then placed it on the fish with a squirt of lime, then broiled it. it tasted fantastic! he made it up on his own.. i think he needs to do that more often!

he had already fried a stack of tortillas so we could eat right when i got home.

he also had a line up of fixings: colby jack cheese (grated lovingly by hand), his famous guacamole, and chobani.

there were also black beans warming on the stove, which were a great addition to the tacos.

i seriously “mmmm”-ed out loud while devouring the tacos.

i went back for a third, then we polished off the guacamole together with a bag of chips while having a deep discussion. about hot sauce. we were eating three hot sauces: valentina, frank’s red hot, and tabasco. we had a long, detailed discussion about which we thought was spiciest, which was our favorite, and what foods each one went best on. that’s the conversation content of a married, childless couple. yep, single ladies, that’s what you have to look forward to! get excited!

even though we say “no gifts”—there were gifts. it happens. marshall got me this baby french press for my office. i squealed! isn’t it sooo cute?!

put my contigo water bottle in there for size reference.

he also got me a crock pot that he *thought* had a delay-start timer.. but it was actually like the one we already have.. where you can set it to cook for X amount of time and then it switches to “keep warm.” well, this keep warm feature can make certain dishes over-cook on the days i am at work for 9+ hours.  i wanted a pot that allowed me to set it out, but it wouldn’t switch on to start cooking until 10 AM or so.. and then the meal would be perfectly done when it was time for dinner. WELL—after a little googling, turns out they don’t make those because it’s a health hazard and bacteria can brew while the uncooked food is sitting on your counter. hmm. darn it. but i thought it was cute that marsh got it for me—or at least tried to. it really is the thought that counts!

oh, and i got this guy. he has a heart in his throat and i love him.

one last SUPER SPECIAL gift marshall gave me for valentine’s day was this:

oh. boy. a moustache! i died laughing when i saw it.

lucky for me, he shaved it off this morning.. but it was funny to see him with a mustache all night long. i told him he looked like a cop. definitely the icing on the cake for a fabulous at-home valentine’s day celebration. oh and yes, i got marshall a gift too, and thought i was being sneaky breaking the “no gift” rule. i actually had been planning to buy him this wireless trackpad for a few weeks anyway, so i just gave it to him yesterday morning. we are such rule-breakers. (i just typed “rule breakfast” by mistake—what’s wrong with me?)

and now.. the original post i was planning on for today: scenes from manzanillo. i was going to do a wordless wednesday post and just do these photos, but clearly i found a way to veto keeping my mouth shut and have rambled a whole lot already. so now i will zip it and leave you with some photos i took in mexico that didn’t make the cut in my recap posts.

IMG 9995IMG 0005 IMG_6383 IMG_6375 IMG_0135 IMG_0137 IMG_0148

IMG 0125

IMG 0129IMG 0123

IMG 0130

IMG 0134

IMG_6416 IMG_6497IMG_6501 IMG_6506

Emily R February 15, 2012 at 7:55 pm

1) fish tacos are my fave. sounds like you had an awesome v-day!
2) that French press is pretty much the cutest thing i have ever seen.
3) my husband and i recently discovered Aquarius. i’m originally from Florida and was positive i’d have to give up fresh seafood living here, but was totally stoked to find the fish market! so cool that you know the owners!

Missy February 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I LOVE that picture of you! So beautiful!!
I love all that he did for you on Valentines – but that moustache was reminding me of the villian you always see in the old movies tying a woman to the train tracks….
I love that shirt he has on – totally cool!
The mini press is adorable and so thoughtful too!

Pure2raw twins February 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

too funny, love hearing about your conversations! Gary and I have similar ones, and we are not even married yet. but feels like we are since we have been together for 10 years already haha
and love all the pics!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

1) Oh boy..those fish tacos!!! What a wonderful man you’ve got :)
2) I have a mini french press and LOVE it! It makes my coffee grinds go so much farther which lets me justify to myself buying the good, more expensive stuff!
3) May I ask what book you are reading in that photo?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Are you saying that he looked like a policeman from the village people or just a regular policeman?

Gorgeous photos.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

ahaha mustaches are the WORST in my book! we had fish tacos a few nights ago and they were so freakin’ good. although yours sound a bit better :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Gorgeous pics! The work that someone did to put those tiles in between stairs, where very few people would stop to admire them, well, I admire them and love details like that.

And that sunset….gorgeous!

Cute baby french press and I love my blog for being able to be my online memory rolodex, so to speak :)

momma b. February 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm

That Marshall is sure a keeper…..laughed at his mustache yes a cop sums it up!! That baby French press is too cute :)

The photography stole the show….absolutely beautiful…..well most of them haha!

xo

Diana February 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm

You two are so cute – I can only hope I can find a man who loves hot sauce as much as I do!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm

the baby french press is soooooooo cute! now if only i could say the same for the facial hair on mr. mustache madness :) although he pulls it off WAY better than other people i know (and may or may not be married to…)!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

That’s so sweet that marshall cooks for you on valentines day. Fish tacos are my favourite kind of tacos…they just melt in your mouth. The pics from your trip look amazing…makes me want to get away somewhere tropical

Elle February 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm

It’s been years since I was in Manzanillo – we spent 3 weeks at a wonderful all-inclusive there and l loved it.

Emily February 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

I am loving all your mexico photos! I’ve only been the once, but stayed for 3 months, driving around. I really want to go back now!

& that mustache – what a treat! ;)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 16, 2012 at 4:39 am

Great pics! Those tacos sound amazing :)

Becca February 16, 2012 at 4:42 am

I bought one of those lamp timers, like what you would use to switch lights on and off when you’re not home, for my crockpot. I’m gone almost 11 hours a day sometime and don’t want to run home at lunch to turn on the crockpot. I’m sure it’s not “safe” To let the meat is out that long, but I guess it’s worth it for the convenience!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 16, 2012 at 5:46 am

Those tacos look delicious!

Haha! I love the pictures of Marshall with the mustache! That reminds me of when I was little. My Dad had a mustache for a long time. One day, I was sitting at the table eating breakfast with my mom. He walked into the room after he had just shaved it off. I started crying and screaming and hid under the table saying, “that’s not my Daddy!” Haha..too funny! :)

betty February 16, 2012 at 6:12 am

you know when you get that stupid ‘smile’ when your watching a happy, corny movie/tv show .. i just did that ‘smile’ through this whole post. not that its corny.. but very cute. you two are adorable! barbara and i do no gifts, but i did make her a little sentimental present. she takes ‘no gifts’ as NO GIFTS! haha

um and seriously.. the justin’s nut butter on randy’s dog bed cracked me up! glad you had a great v-day!

i think i’m making a fish tacos tonight.. i was gonna use jessica’s kiwi salsa.. but now i might make them like thiss.. ahhhh decisions!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy February 16, 2012 at 6:57 am

You two are so freaking adorable.
As is that tiny french press. I might have squealed a little when I saw it…

Michelle February 16, 2012 at 6:59 am

Oh those fish tacos look amazing! Wish my hubby liked fish dangit! The mustache……oh my……you’re right though, put the mirrored sunglasses on and he would so look like he was a cop :)

Laura February 16, 2012 at 7:14 am

It looks like you had a great Valentine’s! I’m wondering what your favourite health and fitness magazine is? I’d like to buy a subscription to one and would love a recommendation.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic February 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

love the looks of those fish tacos, yummmm!!! i know i always tell you this, but i just love all Mexican-inspired eats that come outta ya’lls kitchen!! hey heyyy plain Chobani , best taco topping everrrr, see ya never sour cream? :P

Kelsey February 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

I was going to suggest the same thing as Becca… I picked up a lamp delay timer at Home Depot for like $7. I wouldn’t use it for something that needs to be on high for 3 hours, but if it can be on low for 8 hours, I think it’s probably ok to leave it sitting out for 2 hours before it kicks on.

Janetha February 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I read that online! I think I might have to grab one!! Thanks

Carly February 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

I love that baby french press – so cute!

Do you think you could heat the water up in the microwave with it being that small or would it still need to boil? I’d love to get away from our boring coffee maker at work.

Janetha February 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Yeah I think that would work fine! You just need hot water–not even boiling!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

I think I would keel over and die if I came home to Greg making fish tacos! I looooove them- how thoughtful of Marshall! The mustache is too funny. Very Magnum P.I.
I have a little french press at work and loooooove it. Sometimes I get lazy though and just make a Starbucks Via. :)

Oh- and love the photo of Marshall’s legs- what a hunky hubby you got there! ;)

Sami February 16, 2012 at 9:11 am

bahaha. the moustache reminds me of mario brothers.

loving the trip pictures!!! (:

xo.

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs February 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

Your pics are so fantastic!

I have a mini french press like that too (it’s from Disneyland, Alice and Wonderland themed) it works great for loose leaf teas too!

Cait's Plate February 16, 2012 at 10:25 am

Oh my gosh. I’m so living vicariously through you right now!! I’M SO JEALOUS!!

Kait February 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

I sometimes have those conversations with myself (the beau is long distance) so…ya know. ;)

Those pictures are gooorgeous and I really want to go re-read the Girl With series now!

glidingcalm February 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

beautiful pics at Manzanillo!! i love the one of you chilling in your shades. you’re so LAX. love it

and Marsh is too cute and sweet!! I think i smiled the whole time reading!!!
those tacos sound bomb! (anything with guac in a meal is amazing to me though.) He is such a winner!!
mustache is hilarious too. I feel like my boy would do that also

mini french press!! ADORABLE

HAPPY DAY MAMA

the delicate place February 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

a few things. you are making me hungry bc i haven’t had lunch yet. also, i feel like a lazy bum because i haven’t exercised since sunday. ahahahaha the moustache is hilarious!!! he looks like he’s in super troopers. that sunset shot is spectacular!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yummy fish tacos!!

That book looks familiar…..LOVE Dragon Tattoo series!

And that beach sunset is gorgeous! Great pics :)

Nicole C February 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh that mustache is so funny! They crack me up with I see guys with them. If ben ever shaved his beard and just left a mustache I doubt I could sleep next to him without wanting to laugh all night. Sort of like how he wore his long johns to go bike riding the other day, so funny!!!

Paula @ lipstick and lunges February 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Beautiful pictures! That mustache is hilarious, glad you had a great Valentines Day!

Jane February 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

Gorgeous pictures! I love the baby french press – it is too cute ! I don’t think I’ve ever had fish tacos, but I seriously want some now!

Katie February 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I want to roll myself up in one of those tortillas…they look so perfect! Also, your scenes from manzanillo make me sooo desperate for summer. Or a vacation. Either one would be heaven.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl February 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Tacos. Amazing (and jealous).
Trip. Amazing pics. Great to view during my lunch break. Glad the ring was found!

Anna K February 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I love your vacation pics – makes February so much more bearable! Not that I can complain. I can’t remember another time EVER when Minnesota didn’t have more than 1-2 inches of snow on the ground the entire winter. Now that I’ve said that, we’ll get a gigantic blizzard.

I love tomatillos! I just discovered them a month ago. I couldn’t find them in three grocery stores so I finally had to send my boyfriend Matt to buy them because I figured it had to be me. It was. They were at the stores the whole time, hiding from me.

Happy Wednesday!

Janetha February 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

And happy Thursday to you! haha

Anna K February 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

haha, yep – that about sums up how my entire week has been going!

natasha February 16, 2012 at 1:41 pm

You guys are so great for eachother (: Love your relationship!

I just tried the smoked chipotle tabasco sauce…REALLY good…try it (:

Wow, that’s quite a mustache. Burt Reynolds would be envious. Oh and I want/need that french press. My coffeemaker makes crappy coffee and I hate it, just gives it a weird flavor for some reason.

meggi February 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Love the recap! Those fish tacos sound amazing! I adore fish tacos but have yet to try and make them myself! Looks like yall had a wonderful Valentines! :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm

as i’m sitting in my house freezinggggg…i’m extra jealous of those warm pictures! love the mini french press!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama February 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Now I want fish tacos, a mini french press and to go on a vacation. :) Marshall looks good with a mustache. :) He he!

Kimberly February 17, 2012 at 5:29 am

Considering I have seen my husband clean shaven exactly once in the 6+ years I have known him, I have to be pretty alright with facial hair :)

And, I love learning the history behind holidays too! I’m sort of a history nerd!

Love your blog :)

Life's a Bowl February 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

Fish tacos make my heart melt… I may have to forward this post to my man and add a little *hint* for next year ;P

P.S. All of your Mexico photos look beautiful and fun!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

“let’s face it: i have no memory and if i didn’t have this blog i’d be completely hopeless when it comes to recalling events.”

This is pretty much EXACTLY how I feel about myself…hahaha!

Renee February 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

For the slowcooker, here’s my tip: I have one of those light timers (you know, for Christmas lights?) that you can set to turn on at a certain time. I plug the slowcooker into the timer which is then plugged into the wall, and I can set it to start whenever. Works beautifully!

(Apparently I don’t worry about health hazards…)