it’s oatmeal monday.

by Janetha on February 13, 2012

in meals

glad you guys liked reading about my sneaky pup! he is quite the character and never fails to make me laugh. it is impossible to stay mad at either of my dogs. they don’t try to be bad, and they mean well.. seriously, if i was faced with a bag of larabars, i would probably bury a few for later, too. especially if i knew mom and dad wouldn’t be handing them out at will.

so, how was your monday? today happens to be oatmeal monday—it falls on the second monday in february every year.

oat

i don’t eat oatmeal very often because i am lazy, but marshall wakes up early so he can make protein oatmeal every day of the week. he takes it to work with him a contigo hot bowl that i got him for christmas. they are for kids.. but hey, we are all kids at heart, right?

image (source: contigo.com)

he even celebrated today.

photo

protein oatmeal is delicious and nutritious. i recently made a recipe page devoted to protein oatmeal. it’s about time, i know.

ohh and by the way, the protein powder we use for protein oatmeal is syntha-6 vanilla ice cream. it mixes perfectly into the oatmeal and doesn’t curdle up. whey protein sometimes will do that in protein oats, but syntha-6 is a blend of egg, whey, and casein protein and it mixes fabulously into the hot oats.

side note: protein powder post coming soon. or at least eventually.

while i do love protein oatmeal, i prefer my oatmeal in the form of protein pancakes.

oh man. i flipping love flapjacks.

anyway, i thought it would be fun to do a roundup from some fellow blog friends who celebrated oatmeal monday today! check them out!!

julie ate protein oatmeal pancakes.. a girl after my own heart.

aubrey kept it simple with this jar of oatmeal—adding only milk, honey, and a pinch of salt.

lindsay thought outside the box and made some healthy breakfast bars using oatmeal.

krista is a bum blogger lately (her words, not mine!) but she did celebrate the holiday and let us all know on instagram.

“TJ’s quick-cooking steel cut oats are my new obsession.  I actually IG’d them bc I was gonna do a post on how amazing they are but turns out I am far too lazy to do that.” -Krista image

anne likes her oatmeal in baked form and teased us in this post.. but assured us the recipe is coming soon!

elle posted a tasty recipe for strawberry oatcakes. perfect for oatmeal monday AND for valentine’s day.

courtney had a craving for a bowl of mixed berry french toast oatmeal and celebrated accordingly.

madeline posted about oatmeal and heart disease. it wasn’t from today, but i let that one slide because she’s got great information about why oatmeal is heart healthy along with four fabulous recipes.

i hope you save some room for dessert, because you are going to want to make cat’s cookies! double chocolate oatmeal.. and heart shaped!

NewImage

her valentine is going to be stoked.

hope this has given you some oatmeal inspiration. there are so many ways to enjoy it, don’t limit yourself!

Q~ what’s your favorite way to eat oatmeal? i hope at least one person says chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. man, those are good.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I love oatmeal – I eat it every single morning! I seriously get upset if I dont have it too. I’m lame.

Sana February 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hahah I like that you have your husband listed as your husband. I guess that is useful in case you lose your phone or something.

Maren February 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I just finished dinner and feel hungry for some reason… :) I’ve been eating plain oatmeal with Healthy Diva’s protein frosting…1 scoop of pp, water, a spoonful of pumpkin butter and mix! And then I poor that on top of my oatmeal and mix it in…it’s delicious!

PBJenny February 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Oatmeal is one of those things that if it’s cooked properly, it’s really good. But if it’s not, it really sucks. Unfortunately for me, I don’t have the time or patience in the morning to cook it properly…so I opt for breakfast bakes instead. Speaking of which, have you tried? I’m not trying to “pimp out my recipe” but I feel like you would love :)

http://www.peanutbutterjenny.com/2011/08/18/more-bang-for-my-breakfast/ (oat flour = ground oats, but I’m sure you already knew that)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast! It never gets old. I’m about to have a peanut butter oat cake with chocolate protein icing! Love it!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm

i absolutely love oatmeal. in all forms… overnight oats, hot oats, oatmeal cookies, oatmeal pancakes, you name it. my favorite is “custard oats” which i just learned recently from heather @ get healthy w/ heather. i’ve been having it almost every single morning for breakfast. it’s stovetop oats w/ a whole egg whisked in and then whatever else you want in there too. i like whisking in a banana, flax meal, and cocoa powder, and then topping it with a little peanut butter. delicious!

Erica February 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Whoops! Totally didn’t celebrate! I like oatmeal squares best! You can add chocolate and all other kinds of goodness!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm

With my mouth.

Anne P February 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Love this post – oatmeal all around! Thanks for the link love. :)

Lauren February 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thank God I had oatmeal today! I would have been super bummed to miss this one.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm

chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!!! YES! I have a link but won’t drop it in. The oats add juuuuust a touch of chewy-ness and texture to an other basic cookie dough. And I throw in a touch of PB for good measure and extra softness.

All your oat links look great. honestly, I put oats in almost everything. Even if they weren’t a GF grain (bonus that they are), they just work wonders for me in baking!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

my favorite way is made in the crock pot so that it’s ready when I wake up in the morning. I’m lazy like that.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm

thanks for including my post!!! all of these look so good. definitely craving oatmeal pancakes for breakfast tomorrow…however my new fav combo is a bowl of oatmeal with blood orange chobani and a freshly sliced pear! soooo good!

lindsay February 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm

i don’t think the blog world would exist without the beloved OATMEAL. SO cheers to oats and more!

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 13, 2012 at 6:46 pm

yummy! love oatmeal and love this recipe roundup. happy monday!

Betty February 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

My new fav is overnight oats with uvab, pb2, and chia seeds! But I do always love my protein oats.. I also like when is crumbled over top @howsweeteats slow cooker apple crumb!

Jess February 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm

And just like that – I am even MORE in love with oatmeal today than ever before. I love love LOVE IT. I usually eat mine pretty basic – apples and cinnamon sauteed, dumped into my bowl of irish oatmeal and topped with melty peanut butter stirred all in there all yummy and delicious-like. But damn – these bloggers here? WAY more creative than me! As are you – I finally tried your protein pancakes and am IN LOVE WITH THEM!! I love breakfast food, it’s my favorite meal most days. Today I had breakfast twice – oatmeal this AM, and scrambled eggs and an english muffin for dinner. Don’t hate. ;-)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Overnight style with banana and blueberries and a big ole scoop of almond butter!

Kim February 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I love my Contigo kids hot bowl! I use it to take a fresh pot of steel cut oats to work in the morning! And I don’t care that it’s for kids :) thy should definitely consider making one for adults that a lot bigger!

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not February 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Holy oatmeal! Man am I craving some now..!

Lindsay @ biking before bed February 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I pretty much eat oatmeal every day. Custard oats are my current obsession. Before that it was protein oats. I can’t wait to try your protein pancakes.

mary @ what's cookin with mary February 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I haven’t had oats in almost a year now (lazy!), but savory oats are where its at for me. I love to put nutritional yeast, garlic powder and chia seeds in the oats and then top it with an over easy egg, some sharp shredded cheddar and hot sauce. I’m thinking about adding some whites into the oat mixture for an extra huge dose of protein bc that’s the way I like to roll.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats February 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I love that protein oatmeal but I have been too darn lazy to make it lately. I have been making breakfast cookie dough cereal a la Fitnessista instead. lol.

Cheri Z February 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love RAW’s Chai oatmeal … topped with Chobani! Yum!

Mary Legare Whaley February 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I like your husband’s oatmeal mug. That’s awesome. As for oatmeal, I used to think it was too much work myself. But really, it takes less than 10 minutes to boil some oats on the stove. And I usually spend the time it takes to boil them to gather the add-ons. I do a double serving (1 cup) and my favorite preps are these: Peanut Oats: add 1 tbsp peanut flour + dash of sea salt + tbsp stevia. Chocolate Oats: dash of seasalt + tbsp stevia + tbsp dark cocoa powder. Banana Nut Oats: dash of seasalt + tbsp stevia + half a banana (or a whole nanner) + handful of walnuts. Oats are versatile. But I prefer them soaked in my Greek yogurt and vanilla almond milk with raspberries and peanut flour PB layered into a beautiful parfait. Creature of habit. That’s me.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) February 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

fabbbulocity! i love oats and always like to mix in some eggs into them. I love the texture and flavor it gives…I havent tried syntha 6 but I love BSN products…leann dessert cinnamon roll is heaven!

Elle February 13, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Thanks so much for including me in your post today… I love the cook of that cup you got for your husband.

I am off to check on those chocolate heart oatmeal cookies…

Krista (kristastes) February 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm

holla at the oats! :)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl February 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Marshall cool. I carry a Star Wars Lego Mini Thermos for my lunches. ;-)
Nice round up!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Oh shoot! I didn’t celebrate! Can I celebrate a day late? Oats for breakfast actually sound pretty darn delicious right about now… ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

as soon as this gestational diabetes is outta my system i’m SO celebrating national oatmeal day!

Ellen Clifford February 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I do love oatmeal chocolate chippers! If I may be just a tad self-promotional, there’s a tasty recipe for them here:
Happy oatmeal day!

Katie February 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I have a bowl of oatmeal on my lap at this very second. I usually don’t like just “a bowl of oatmeal” but I’ve recently discovered that I like it when it’s drowned in maple syrup and peanut butter…with raisins and bananas. Go figure….like an oatmeal cake.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 14, 2012 at 1:55 am

favourite way is with protein powder, unsweetened coconut milk, and maple syrup. but the best bit is putting in all extras like chopped nuts, berries, and dried fruit. chocolate oatmeal man that’s looks good!!!
I’m pretty much addicted to oatmeal so love experimenting with new ways to eat it. It’s just so versatile hey!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 14, 2012 at 4:50 am

love oatmeal!! All these links are great :)

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 14, 2012 at 5:55 am

I’ve been loving oatmeal lately! I actually had some this morning for breakfast. I love adding peanut butter or fruit to mine. Yum! I have to agree with you on the oatmeal cookies. I love them too. :)

brandi February 14, 2012 at 6:10 am

those pictures of the larabar caper were awesome :)

ps: you’ve been tagged!

AceRunn February 14, 2012 at 6:23 am

I celebrated last night and didn’t even realize I was doing it! I had a batch of your protein oats for dinner, with leftovers for breakfast today! :)

Parita @ myinnershakti February 14, 2012 at 6:53 am

To think that 2 years ago I couldn’t even fathom the thought of eating oatmeal and now…I love it! My favorite way to eat hot oats is with a banana, a scoop of PB, and a few dark chocolate chips. It’s comfort in a bowl!

julie February 14, 2012 at 6:59 am

hahahahaha thank you for making my valentines day amazing by posting the story of your dogs hiding the larabars hahahahahahahaha i cna’t stop laughing

Michelle February 14, 2012 at 7:06 am

Oatmeal scotchies! I made some Saturday for a friends birthday and they were yummy!!!!

Casey Katz February 14, 2012 at 7:41 am

Carrot Cake Oatmeal!
Add grated carrots, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, coconut extract to steel cut oats and milk. Once thickened, add walnuts and maple syrup. (I added a teaspoon of chia seeds for omega-3’s) and top with shredded coconut flakes. It is absolutely delicious.

Chris February 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

These links are fabulous!
I’m an every day oatmealer. My fave is baked oatmeal. I usually make a batch (gingerbread, apple cinnamon, banana bread or whatever flavors I dream up) then I have it for the whole week. If I run out, my fave stovetop version is tropical – I add a scoop of protien powder, a mushed up banana, coconut and a splash of vanilla extract. YUM!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

I like protein oats in baked form! :)

meggi February 14, 2012 at 10:06 am

Fun! I have always semi-hated oatmeal but we have been on an oatmeal eating kick for about 2 weeks! Have it with either blueberries or banana every morning and a little brown sugar :)

the delicate place February 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

i don’t like oatmeal?! blasphemer over here <3 i do however love the heart shaped bowl. hope randy doesn't eat your valentines treats! x

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

Um, I love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
I actually did NOT eat oatmeal at all yesterday, which is weird. I feel like a failure!
My favorite way is just hot, in a bowl, with lots of goodies mixed in. But, I also really love savory oats (which I would only eat for dinner). Oh man, those are good.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

WOW. These all look so tasty! I have not been on oatmeal kick at all….so maybe I need to jump back in?! :)

Katy A February 14, 2012 at 11:56 am

Breakfast – Protein pancakes/waffles. Dessert – No bake cookies (oatmeal, cocoa powder, sugar, butter and peanut butter).