hot, hot, hot.

by Janetha on February 1, 2012

in fun facts,recipes

hey guys! it’s february! can you believe it? time is doing that weird thing again and flying by without permission. i am certain that new year’s eve was last weekend and christmas was just the weekend before that. certain, i tell you. time, you sneaky sneaker.

if you have been reading my blog for more than, oh, two days, you know i am really into national food holidays. any reason to celebrate something, right?  with it being february first and all, i thought i would share the national food holidays that the month of february brings. this way you can all be like boy scouts: always prepared. just make sure you have a fork in hand.

february is…

• berry fresh month
  • canned food month
  • celebration of chocolate month
  • great american pies month
  • national cherry month
  • national fiber focus month
  • national grapefruit month
  • national snack food month
  • potato lover’s month
  • sweet potato month

and, last but not least:

national hot breakfast month!

growing up, we ate a lot of cold cereal in our house. that is probably the reason i often eat an entire box of cereal in three days flat. i love the stuff! but momma b was also really good about making us delicious, hot breakfasts. we would sit down at the table as a family most mornings, bright eyed and bushy tailed.. okay, let’s get real, we would stumble to the table groggily, still wiping the sleep from our eyes.

however, it wasn’t long before we were fully alert, because my mom would have a delicious breakfast spread on the table for us to enjoy and start our day off right. after eating, us kids (i have three siblings, all older than me) would have to immediately get ready for school, but my dad still had some time to kill before heading to work for the day. so, after eating his breakfast, he would often get up from the table, stretch his arms, and say his famous line: “wake me at eight!”

to this day, when i think about family breakfasts, the image of my dad flashes in my mind with his trademark saying of “wake me at eight!”  i love memories. when i can remember them, that is.

one thing i don’t remember at ALL is eating oatmeal as a kid. i am 93.87% certain i never ate it, but my oldest sister insists otherwise. either my mom stopped making it by the time i was around, or i blocked that memory out completely. either way, oatmeal was never a big player on the breakfast table. sure, it may be the most popular hot breakfast in blog land, but not in my eyes.

today i want to share five hot breakfasts that i LOVE.. none of which are oatmeal. i am sure you see plenty of that on all the other blogs you read, anyway. i am also going to omit pancakes, because that is a dish talk about way too much as it is.

french toast.

i like my french toast crisp on the outside and soggy in the middle. i also like it really, really eggy. and slightly cinnamony. what? nothing wrong with being particular.

my brother, doug, used to always cram a whole slice of french toast in his mouth at once. i don’t know why i was always so impressed.. i mean, i could have done it myself, too. i am one of those people who can fit her fist in her mouth. i will spare you the proof. instead of cramming it all in in one bite, i always had my mom cut my french toast slices into nine equal squares—tic tac toe style—and i saved the very middle (completely crustless) piece for last.

memories are rad.

eggs.

I LOVE EGGS. scrambled, fried, poached, hard boiled, over easy, over medium, over hard, in a quiche, in a frittata, on a bagel, on a bun.. you name it. i love eggs. eggs and ice cream are two reasons i would never be a successful vegan. not to mention the fact that i don’t want to be.. but anyway. when i want a savory breakfast, 90% of the time the answer to that savory hankering is eggs.

i recently experimented and learned that making a frittata is super simple (and also pairs well with potatoes)…

…but i have yet to master the over-easy method. i tried on new year’s day.. but it wasn’t perfect. any tips?

for now, i will just keep ordering them when out to eat.

crepes.

i used to think crepes were such a fancy breakfast and something i would never make on my own, until i actually tried it. i love how versatile crepes are..

…you can make them sweet or savory depending on what you fill them with, and they are also great just plain. don’t let a super-thin pancake intimidate you. try making them sometime if you haven’t!

eggs benedict.

this is one i haven’t mastered at home, but i love ordering it when out to eat! if you have a good recipe for eggs benedict, send it my way. runny yolks are my FAVORITE. but, like i mentioned above, i suck at making poached or over easy eggs myself, so i leave it to the restaurants. i love adding avocado to my order.. avocado goes with just about everything. well, on the savory front, i suppose. i have never tried those sweet avocado puddings.. okay, i am really going off topic here.. back to the hot breakfasts.

cocoa & toast.

this one has my childhood written all over it. it is, hands down, the breakfast i ate the most growing up. i requested it almost daily. i am sure my mom loved that, because it is the simplest meal to make:

• toasted white bread with butter
  • milk (preferably 2%) + nestle quik (okay, now it’s called nesquik) heated in the microwave

to eat, you fold the toast in half and dunk it into the hot, chocolaty cocoa. now days, i usually only eat this when i am sick or craving comfort food. i really need to eat it more often.

hopefully my favorite hot breakfasts have given you some inspiration to get cooking in the kitchen bright and early this month. make sure you celebrate national hot breakfast month.. you have 28 more days to do so! (yep, in case you didn’t know, february has 29 days this year!)

Q~

what’s your favorite hot breakfast?

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats February 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm

My favorite hot breakfast is definitely blueberry pancakes! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm

definitely pancakes!! i make my own health-ified version at home, but when i’m feeling crazy, i love to order chocolate chip pancakes at our local breakfast spot! extra whipped cream, pleeeeease!

meg February 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I am eating cocoa and toast right now for a nighttime snack!

My favorite hot breakfast is belgian waffles with strawberries and lots of whippped cream and any kind of eggs. (As for over easy eggs, I’ve found they take a LOT of practice. You can cheat by putting a lid over the frying pan so that the top cooks and you don’t have to flip them. Keep trying! You’ll get it.)

meggi February 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

i LOVED flaky layered biscuits growing up. I ate them for breakfast everyday in high school just plain or with a little butter. To this day, every time I eat them – it feels like it should be a holiday or something. Since changing my diet though, the only thing that I CONSTANTLY crave are eggs and bacon.

Denise February 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Bacon and eggs!!!!!!!! Now I am hungry!!

Jennie (the gf-gf) February 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Sweet potato month?! I can get behind that :-)
My favorite hot breakfast is definitely bacon and eggs!

Brittney @ Brittney Breathing February 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I absolutely love eggs benedict. If I’m out for breakfast and the restaurant has eggs benedict, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am getting it! I need to try to make it at home too!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm

As a kid I barely ate oatmeal either. Our main hot breakfasts were french toast (I would beg for this), scrambled eggs with cheese, and eggs Benedict which I loooved. I love all the “holidays” !

Cait @ Cait Hates Cake February 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Pancakes or french toast. A restaurant near me makes crunchy french toast – french toast with a cornflake coating. It is insanely good.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

My favorite hot breakfast is hot coffee :)

Seriously you have awesome looking breakfasts…I need to make french toast. Yours looks so perfect and you’re right, nothing wrong with being particular and wanting it the way you want it!

Lindsey February 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It would be a tie for me between oatmeal and pancakes… depends on my mood!

marisa February 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I thought of “Wake me at 8!” before I even read the entire post. :) And as far as the oatmeal goes, I do vividly remember the silver pot on the stovetop with the oatmeal which we’d slather with brown sugar or honey and milk. Yum! And do you remember the cutting of the french toast that way called “like a piano” ? You wanted it like piano keys. So funny!

Anna February 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Yes!! SO many good national holidays this month…especially national hot breakfast month and national sweet potato month. My favorite hot breakfast would have to be a whole wheat banana blueberry waffle topped with whipped cream. Orrrr a veggie omelet with homefries and a whole wheat biscuit. mmmm…I’m hungry for breakfast!

Bridgit February 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I love quinoa porridge with maple syrup and berries! I also have to mention another food holiday: World Nutella day is Feb 5th! However I fear that if I participate I may consume the whole jar by Feb 6th…

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] February 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm

that’s a toughie! Probably really good waffles, like the ones at Jailhouse Cafe in Moab (if you’ve ever been there). Or perfect over-medium eggs with hearty wheat toast.

Miss you!

Marie February 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Awe man, I don’t have just one. Pancakes, sausage egg cheese biscuits, biscuits & gravy…okay I’ll stop now. I hope you’re having a blast in Mexico, Beautiful!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish February 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I’m pretty certain I never touched *homemade* oatmeal as a kid, despite the fact that my dad made it nearly every morning. He’d make a huge pot of it and add about a half container of raisins. It totally grossed me out! But I did love instant oatmeal–particularly the strawberries n’ cream packets. Lots of sugar (and faux cream?) makes anything taste good when you’re eight-years-old.

Fortunately, my mom was really good about preparing hot breakfasts! We’d typically have eggs, pancakes, waffles, coffee cake etc. on the weekends, but my absolute favorite breakfast was what we call a ‘Dutch Baby.” It’s basically a big pancake baked in a pan, except 4378234 times richer. It has buttery crusty edges that practically melt in your mouth. And it’s so delicious, it really doesn’t need syrup. Just a dash of powdered sugar (and a little more butter). :-)

Hope you’re having a wonderful time in Mexico!!

Ty February 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hot cocoa and toast… That sounds awesome. Might have to have that tomorrow!

The key to good runny yolk eggs is a non-stick pan and practice. :P At least that is what it took for me to master it!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama February 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I like my French Toast the same way!! I still save the middle for the end. :) oh, and the buttered toast at cocoa is intriguing. My favorite hot breakfast is green eggs and oats (tastes like French Toast). :) mmmmm

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

Well my boring favourite hot breakfast is oatmeal…jazzed up with maple syrup and all that good stuff. But lately I’ve been loving more savoury dishes. If we go out I’ll get poached eggs and steamed spinach or I’ve made these egg crepes filled with chicken avocado and salsa….a spicy way to start the morning. Mexican is one of my favourite cuisines so that one is a definite winner!

Karen February 2, 2012 at 3:47 am

My favorite hot breakfast is an omelet. I like omelets because they are so easy to change up with different fillings and they are so filling! A very close second is pancakes though – there is just something so tasty about a nice stack of warm pancakes!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 2, 2012 at 4:18 am

Definitely blueberry pancakes!! I always save them for special occasions :-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 2, 2012 at 5:25 am

Oatmeal, hands down! Funny because I never ate oatmeal as a kid at all. When you mentioned your dad saying “wake me up at 8”, it reminded me of the way it sounded when my dad came home in the afternoon. Isn’t it weird how memories can be evoked?

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

I guess I would have to say oatmeal. :) Really, it’s my favorite because it’s the only thing that fills me up and keeps me sustained for hours.
But, I’m a fan of all things breakfast. It’s definitely my favorite meal. I love homemade waffles, french toast, pancakes, eggs… you name it.
I think I just decided what I’m going to have for dinner tonight! (Thanks, Janetha- it was bugging me!)

SweatyGirl February 2, 2012 at 6:29 am

ooooh, eggs bennie w/ hashbrowns! That is my very fave!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 2, 2012 at 6:33 am

eggs are my hands down hot breakfast fave! :)

Aimee February 2, 2012 at 6:48 am

Janetha, we must be related, oh wait we are. I too share your love for eggs. I used to have an electric egg poacher – it didn’t always cook them right, though, and took up space in my kitchen. Then I found these ( http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-3-Inch-Silicone-Poach-Poaching/dp/B000P6FD3I ) and LOVE them. Sur la Table has them in different colors too. I just follow the instructions on the tag and they come out perfectly poached.
As for over-easy, it took me a long time to get it right. All I can say is low heat (lower than I thought, anyway); patience (UGH!); and a thin spatula, the cheap dollar-store-ish one we have ends up being our go-to-spatula with eggs. And to think I almost threw it out because it was cheap and thin.
Good luck to you and your egg cooking!

betty February 2, 2012 at 7:14 am

we ALWAYS had hot breakfast every saturday and sunday monring (when i didn’t have softball tournaments)

my favorites would be dipping egg (over easy) and toast.. but i would only eat the yolk, i hated the white for a long long long time. my other favorite was called ‘egg in a cup’ which was a soft boiled (is that the term? so its still yolking) mashed up in my favorite coffee mug (even though i didnt drink coffee) with ripped up pieces of buttered toast. YUM. i havent had that in foreverrr! i want some now!

i love thinking back to memories like that! love this post!

April February 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Yumm those all sound like the makings for a delicious February (except maybe canned food)!

Crepes make me think of that scene of Talladega Nights where they all agree that thin pancakes are good but Ricky Bobby won’t concede to the Frenchman.

Susan February 2, 2012 at 7:50 am

I’m a cereal fan too, but nothing beats a hot breakfast. I don’t think I can choose a favorite! However, this post reminds me that I haven’t had french toast in way too long, and need to try a crepe and eggs benedict.

Marie February 2, 2012 at 8:07 am

This method to poach eggs is foolproof: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/how-to-poach-an-egg-smitten-kitchen-style/. Good luck!

Annie February 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

I think the key to eggs over easy is a lid. That way, you don’t mess around with trying to flip the egg (I almost always break the yolk flipping) and the white gets cooked all the way through. So, heat non-stick pan to medium, break egg into it. Salt and pepper, cover with lid (or fashion one out of aluminum foil) wait 60-90 seconds. Check egg.

the delicate place February 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

eggs. for the egg slut. this doesn’t surprise you at all about me ;) specifically a perfect french omelet. fluffy as a cloud=bliss.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) February 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

egggsss!! love um. eat them daily! helps that i have chickens for a fresh supply too :)

momma b. February 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

We are for sure “two peas in a pod” (not to take away anything from our sweet Mama Pea) Everything in this post is spot on except I’m maybe not quite as obsessed with cereal. If they just had the old school Cracklin Oat Bran then for sure – I ate that morning, noon and night!!

P.S. Heat pan to pretty high with spray, crack eggs, when the whites are almost cooked pour some water in the pan cover and let the yolks steam over…….tada runny eggs!!

xoxo

Katie February 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

I don’t even really like eggs…but that photo of eggs benedict looks unreal!

I think pancakes or waffles are my favorite hot breakfast. Basically cake.

Lara February 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

A frittata is the ONLY egg dish I don’t mess up. I can’t make an omelet to save my life.

I think my favorite hot breakfast is either pancakes or pimped-out oatmeal :)

Parita @ myinnershakti February 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

I just posted about my love affair with eggs! They’re so versatile – what’s not to love?!

And my favorite hot breakfast at the moment is banana oatmeal with PB. Soothes the soul ;)

Cassy February 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

can i just tell you how much i love you? i am in a breakfast RUT and this is totally the answers to my rut. you’re the greatest.

Biz February 2, 2012 at 11:07 am

OMG, you just brought, a memory of swiss miss with super buttered toast from my grandma – she died when I was 19 and I am almost 44 and I had totally forgotten about that! :D

vanessa February 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

i feel like the most common mistake people make with eggs is cooking them over too high of a heat. they gotta be on low…maybe medium-low. a little butter never hurts either :)

Nicole C February 2, 2012 at 11:56 am

Your toast and cocoa reminded me of my daily breakfast addiction since I went to Paris. With a twist, toast with nutella and a cup of hot tea. Cannot get enough of it. I have been adding in protein now too but man I love the combo.

Errign February 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I make my overeasy eggs in a small nonstick (I think mine is telflon) pan. I like to use butter but non stick cooking spray works if you use enough. Get the pan good & heated up- drop the egg in and as the white looks mostly cooked, just flip! I turn off the heat before I flip mine actually & have no tips for flipping with a spatula because I just toss and catch ’em. (Practice that with a slice of bread a few times before you try eggs if you never have! ) After I flip them, I usually grab a plate and slide ’em on. I like mine with toasted wheat english muffins & goat cheese. :)

natasha February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ohhh…I have a bunch though I never make hot b-fasts anymore. Actually, b-fast has unfortunately been skipped pretty much altogether….oops!

Childhood hot b-fast faves though were:
-cream of wheat (aka. kasha)
-Mama’s crepes with karo syrup or jam
-blueberry turnover (frozen by Pillsbury!)
-crescent rolls (frozen by P-bury)
-hot grape nuts (well as I got older)

BroccoliHut February 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

My fave hot breakfasts are scrambled ‘fu, good ol’ oat bran, and grilled PB-banana sandwiches.

sarah@spinach and spice February 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

I LOVE a nice, hot breakfast! My favorite ever was toasted english muffins with thick smoked salmon.. poached eggs on top! with a dash of pepper. Ohhhhh baby.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Mmmmmm. Now I want b-fast all over again!

I love French toast and belgian waffles for hot breakfasts. YUMMMy

Life's a Bowl February 5, 2012 at 6:28 am

A plate of french toast, pancakes, or waffles and a side of turkey bacon and fresh fruit would be my fave hot breakfast :D And I love crispy french toast with a soggy middle!!!