superbowl party food.

by Janetha on January 31, 2012

in recipes

well, i hate to bring it up again, but the packers are not in the superbowl this year. rats.

can we pretend like it’s 2011? just for a minute? i mean.. look how happy this guy was about the packers’ success!

sigh. maybe next year, packers.

as everyone knows.. the superbowl is on sunday.  although the teams playing in the superbowl is never for sure, one thing always IS for sure: there will be food. and probably funny commercials, too. before i liked football (so, the first 27.5 years of my life), the only reason i watched the superbowl was for the commercials and the food. for some reason, nacho cheddar doritos and miniature snickers always remind me of the superbowl. how’s that for a random childhood memory?

chances are, i won’t be eating doritos and snickers during this year’s superbowl.. especially since we gave up candy for 2012. chances also are that we won’t be hosting a superbowl party this year since we are in mexico and get home late saturday night, so you guys need to make a bunch of delicious football food on my behalf, okay? deal? deal.\

the best part about football food is that you can just grab a plate of random bites throughout the long, drawn out game. (i swear they make the superbowl longer so they can fit in more commercials!) it’s not common for us to sit down to a meal on superbowl sunday. it’s a day for grazing!!

to get you motivated and inspired, here are a few of my favorite finger foods to make for football watching. most of this stuff can be made ahead so you aren’t running back and forth from the kitchen to the living room during the game. of course, if you have my dream house and your kitchen is open to your living room, this would never be an issue. i digress…

for the savory side…

yummus.
(click link for recipe)

this pairs well with veggies and pita chips, but use whatever vehicle you love the most.

chicken & cheese quesadillas.
make these in a skillet using tortillas, shredded cheese, and boiled, shredded chicken. slice with a pizza cutter and dip in salsa or guac. or both!

healthy buffalo chicken dip.
(click link for recipe)

serve it with sliced baguette, veggies, and/or chips.

crab stuffed mushrooms.
(click link for recipe)

these are actually really healthy and protein-packed!

for the sweet side…

green apple brie bites.
(click link for recipe)

prep these ahead of time and stick them in the oven just before serving.

fruit kebabs.

because everything is more fun when on a stick, right?

miniature white chocolate cheesecakes.
(click link for recipe)

these handheld treats are great on their own, or you can top them with fruit filling and whipped cream to fancy it up a notch.

fruit pizza.
(click link to see how i make it)

cut it into single serving squares for the big game!

fried scones.
(click link for recipe)

a utah favorite.. don’t knock it til you try it!

i could go on and on.. but i will stop there. i am sure your creative juices and meal planning skills are flowing by now!

your turn! i would love to compile a list of great football food.. please leave your ideas or what you plan to make in the comments below.. even better, include links!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Can I pretty please come to your house for the party? We can wear out packers gear and pretend its last year!

Bria January 31, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’m partial to 7 Layer Dip myself. That’s the Texan in me, yanno.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I was *just* writing my Superbowl post. I wasnt going to do one, but just like I wasn’t going to do a 2011 Highlights post, I figured..what the heck :)

I am loving the link to the apple/brie bite

Hope you’re having fun on the beach!

Kim @ The Family Practice January 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Cassie January 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm

You know, I just realized that those Utah scones remind me of Kenyan Mandazis (http://allthingskenyan.com/food-mandazi.html) – they are like a slightly sweet fried doughnut in the shape of a rectangle that are really popular for breakfast here in Kenya!

meggi January 31, 2012 at 10:16 pm

oh that fruit pizza looks divine! Before changing my diet, my favorite was pizza bites … take crescent rolls and put pizza sauce, shredded cheese and one pepperoni in each triangle, then roll up and bake like normal. They are usually eaten within 5 minutes of putting them on the table so I always have to make lots :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm

We don’t normally watch the superbowl here in australia….sadly it’s not that big! But on footy final day the thing to do is have a big bbq. Lots of sausages and I make my best burger recipe! Link is here http://the-healthy-diva.com/2012/01/26/australia-day-celebrations-my-best-burger-recipe/ Other than that we just make sure the fridge is stocked with lots of alcomahol hehe!

Sarah@The Flying ONION February 1, 2012 at 5:41 am

Fruit kebobs! Why didn’t I think of that?

Thanks so much for this post! It’s going to come in handy come Sunday. :D

betty February 1, 2012 at 6:11 am

can you believe that i’ve never even been to a superbowl party? i’ve watch it once and i don’t think it was even all the way through.

i’ve seen some really cute stuff on pinterest.. like cheese w/ pepperoni on crackers with a some seams drawn on (w/ mayo i guess?) idk. i’m sure i prob wont participate in a party, again, this year.. but your snacks are super cute.. i’ve been dying to make a fruit pizza for something.. hopefully i’ll have somewhere to go soon that i can make it!

Calee February 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

all of these look awesome.

did I mention that we can’t be friends? I’m a die hard bears fan. I’m in love with a vikings fan (sucks to be him!) … and I can’t STAND the Packers. Mostly because I grew up with a super-annoying uncle who is a HUGE packer fan (HE GOES ON PACKER CRUISES with the football players. Seriously.) … and he was/is beyond obnoxious about it.

Anyway … boo pack. ;)

Janetha February 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Haha. Well, if a football team preference determines eligibility for friendship, then the world has big problems. I am a Packer fan through marriage.. I actually don’t love football.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 1, 2012 at 6:36 am

oh my gosh! Those fried scones…. :)

Sami February 1, 2012 at 6:40 am

omg, my boyfriend would love me if i made him fruit pizza. he bought a tart with similar ingreidents at whole foods while we were in philly this weekend, and was obsessing over it! :)

the quesedillas look yummy, too!
xo

Sara February 1, 2012 at 7:02 am

I, for one, am ELATED that the Packers aren’t in the super bowl. Along with the Ravens (spit). Thanks for all the healthy snacks! I, along with the rest of Steeler nation, will go on acting like this day doesn’t exist this year.
Signed,
A still bitter (but 6x champ) Steeler fan
Sara

Becky February 1, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh, we are still mourning the loss. Such a terrible way to end a great year! Love the pic. Living in GB in a superbowl year is just plain awesome. Good memories: :)

We were planning on having a superbowl party, then when they lost we were like – “should we still have one???” lol

Those apple brie bites looking yummy – such a grown up superbowl app!

jessiker February 1, 2012 at 8:39 am

Fruit pizza FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’m not bragging, but my kitchen opens to the living room. The whole house is extremely open- it’s the main reason we bought it! I LOVE IT. Perfect for entertaining.
We’re actually doing a vegan potluck. We did one last year and it was awesome- my friend made the BEST vegan ribs!
But of course, my husband has to be a rebel and make his own chicken wings (which only he will eat). And he’s a Pats fan. He’s in heaven.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic February 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Mmmm love those green apple brie bites! I’ve been on such a brie kick this season for some reason!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I want those quesadillas. And stat!!

Nataliya @irunforicecream February 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I’m one of those people, who watches Superbowl only for food and commercials! I have several ideas for snacks this year, but I know for sure I will be making Kahlua-Pecan-Brown Sugar Baked Brie….mmmm (link http://noblepig.com/2009/12/13/kahluapecanbrown-sugar-baked-brie.aspx)

Mary Legare Whaley February 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Good looking recipes! I’m not an NFL fan (I prefer college football), but I’ve been invited to a Super Bowl party, and I’m asked to bring a side dish. I’m thinking I’ll run by Trader Joe’s and just grab a big tub of hummus and some prepared veggies. Like baby carrots, sliced mushrooms, and I’ll grab some cucumbers. Easy peasy. And that’s the snack I’ll be eating. As usual, I’ll be avoiding anything cheesy, creamy, and meaty.

Foodie February 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Everything looks so good! Super Bowl is all about the yummy munchies :D. Empanadas are definitely on my list (an interesting article on the tasty treat btw –> http://www.ifood.tv/network/empanada)

sumermehta February 3, 2012 at 2:07 am

these munchies really make a great snack for the super bowl!

Nalini Paravasthu February 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

who doesn’t love empanadas…well I do….absolutely delightful!