snow surprise.

by Janetha on January 7, 2012

in dogs,meals

i woke up to a very happy sight this morning.

IMG 9103

yes. i squealed like a seven year old.

utah has been lacking in snow this whole winter (if you can even call it that.) i know all those snow haters out there have been grinning ear to ear, but it really is NOT normal to have no snow in january. it’s not good for the city! the pollution has been horrible and the snowfall helped clear the air. plus, snow is beautiful.

the first thing i did upon waking up (after squealing, of course) is make a pot of french press peet’s coffee. i am so annoyed–i had a coupon for $2 peet’s coffee, so i snagged a bag at target.. and then forgot to give the cashier the coupon. i am a moron.

IMG 9098

snow makes me want protein oatmeal. i haven’t had a bowl of it in over three months, i’d say.

IMG 9111

a perfect, warm, and cozy breakfast.

IMG 9116

the protein oats were made on the stove–1/3 cup oats in 1 cup of water. i cooked them on low heat, very slowly, and added a bit of cinnamon and vanilla bean paste during the cooking process. at the very end, i stirred in a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder. i topped the oats with crunchy peanut butter, and then opted to stir in a teaspoon of real maple syrup to seal the deal.

IMG 9123

after eating, i played my new addiction for about an hour. yes, an hour. it’s a game on my phone called scramble with friends. it’s basically boggle. i am obsessed. luckily you have to wait awhile to “earn” more tokens to play more games (lame, but a blessing in disguise) so i had to stop playing once my tokens ran out.

marshall had gone to the gym. the pups were looking restless. i bundled up and took those rascals to the nearby park.

IMG 9203

IMG 9133

this is penny & randy’s favorite place to romp.

IMG 9138

it’s totally legal.

IMG 9212

there wasn’t a soul around and the freshly fallen snow was a blanket on the playground.

IMG 9153

IMG 9149

IMG 9164

i am fairly certain that one of the very best things in life is watching dogs play in the snow. i could do it for hours. or at least one.. which is what i did today.

IMG 9148

i ran with them quite a bit. i say that can count for my workout today, right?

i pondered using the bars to pound out some pull-ups, but quickly decided against it.

IMG 9239

IMG 9235

i had to take photos of the dogs, after all. i got some awesome shots.

IMG 9163

IMG 9181

IMG 9171

IMG 9182

IMG 9200

IMG 9214

IMG 9219

IMG 9227

IMG 9233

IMG 9230

and if you follow me on instagram, you have already seen these two gems.. but i HAD to share them with you all. can’t believe it caught them on my phone.

IMG 5629

IMG 5627

man. they’re cute.

we had a great morning at the park!

now i am going to spend 3 hours folding laundry.

shoot me.

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

That looks like SO much fun – I love snow (I’m in the wrong state for much of the white fluffy fun, though)! I hope you guys gets some more snow before our snowboard trip in March – I’m putting in my order now. :)

Allison January 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’m loving this springtime weather in the middle of winter, but kinda jealous of your snow :P I’d love to have a first snowfall and then a 60 degree day following [to melt it all]- this teacher wants her first snow day haha!

Ashley January 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Such cute photos!! Pups in the snow are the best! And your pancakes from today’s post look awesome. mmmm

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark January 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Wow, awesome photos–I love their puppy ears flapping in the wind!

I drove through a snow storm last night (was in the mountains and they closed I70W) and today it’s bright and sunny, like it never snowed. So freaky I tell you.

And I am so cheap I would have taken the bag back then bought it back with the coupon. Wasting a coupon just blows :(

Susan January 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Gaaaaahhh!! So many cute pictures!!! Looks like Randy is doing a good job of getting through that snow with those little legs ;) I hear ya on the snow thing. We haven’t had much up here so far yet this year either (just another light dusting this weekend). Although, by March of last year we also had 11 feet on the ground. I don’t want that either!

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife January 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

the ONLY thing i miss about the snow is seeing my dog frolick in it! but now i have the pacific waves, so…. Great shots!!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 9, 2012 at 2:13 am

love your coffee mug :)

& the fluffiness of your oats – yum.

Kellie January 9, 2012 at 7:14 am

pretty sure Randy can fly LOL… those are great shots of the pups!

kelsey January 9, 2012 at 8:23 am

Randy is crazy adorable in the snow! Those ears! I just love those ears! Congrats on your snow. We too have had unseasonably low snow fall – which is going to wreck my tubing/kayaking season in the spring. I am mega peeved about that. AND it turns out – I kind of like snow!

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland January 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

We still haven’t had much snow in southern WI. I think we had one inch in December. :( Although I guess I’m not really sad…I hate driving in it!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Dogggggggggggggggggggssssssssssssssssssssss <3

I always forget to give my coupons to the checkout people. Lamest of the lame.

Jeanne January 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The dog pictures are too cute! Thanks for sharing.

Laura @ LauraLivesLife January 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

When I walked outside Saturday AM and saw the snow I was simultaneously bummed but realized that you’d been waiting for it! Glad it snowed for you – but hoping it doesn’t do much more for the sake of my non-snow tires!

Diana January 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Puppies playing in the snow are too, too cute!! Love it. Now I need to go buy a dog.

My heart goes out to you on that peet’s coffee coupon – that is pretty much the story of my life. One of these days, I’ll actually pull out the coupon I specifically brought to the grocery store…but probably not any time soon.

elise January 10, 2012 at 7:47 am

i have those mugs. and that french press. but those houndstooth boots are ALLL you – haha.

im tempted to be a super creeper and make your cutie pie dogs my desktop background…but im not a super creeper. plus, stealing photos is wrong and illegal (im getting caught up on your posts, can you tell?)

glidingcalm January 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

they are so cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cookie January 29, 2012 at 4:25 am

Your dogs are so cute!!

I was totally happy when I woke up two days ago and everything was white. I love snow and it was the first time it snowed properly this “winter”. Unfortunately it’s all gone already :(. But since it’s -1°C right now, and it’s supposed to stay that way, I am hoping there will be more. I’ve seen some snow falling today already. But it’s way to warm for January in Germany too.