fabulous email friday.

by Janetha on January 6, 2012

in tips

i usually do funny email friday—but the funny email pipeline is dry these days. i guess my boss is busy sending me forwarded emails of people getting bitten by polar bears or the latest political rant. dislike.

however, my longtime blog friend sent me a VERY fabulous email recently.. chock full of “why didn’t i think of that?!” tips. it was too good to not share with the class. a few of them i have seen and/or mentioned before, so sorry for any redundancy. chances are, many of you didn’t see the tips the first time around, so that’s why i am reposting the duplicates.

here you go!

1. bake cookie dough on the underside of a muffin tin for cookie ice cream bowls.

2. place your ipod or iphone in a bowl while playing music to amplify the sound.

3. use a straw to hull strawberries (i LOVE this one!)

4. touch up wood scuffs with a walnut. just rub it on!

5. use baby powder to get sand off of your skin after a day at the beach. i have done this and it works well!

6. cut slits into a box to make an instant cupcake carrier.

7. use bread bag ties to label your tangled cords.

8. cheaper and healthier way to make microwave popcorn: use a paper bag.

9. use a tension rod to hang cleaning products. space saver!

10. freeze aloe vera in an ice cube tray for a cool, handy way to sooth a sunburn. i may have to use this one when i get back from mexico in a few weeks!

11. this is how you can make heart-shaped hard boiled eggs for valentine’s day! you can even use red food coloring to make them pink. (that’s my own personal tip! ha.)

12. string wire at the top of a closet to store wrapping paper. OH i have got to do this one.

hope you enjoyed these tips!

i have been really tired AND busy lately. i went to the GI doctor today, my whole body is super sore from my workouts this week, and i have mountains of laundry to fold. when i get a little more caught up on life, i will catch up on my blog.

for now, happy friday! have a great weekend, whatever you do!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Wow some great tips! Now I need to get walnuts, bread bag ties, a tention rod, & string for my own little DIY fest! =)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I LOVE tips like this!! And the first one is something that I’ve seen a million times and always think “I’m going to do that” but have yet to actually do it! I really am- and I’m going to try it with my recipe for graham crackers and use that as a vehicle for Greek yogurt eating.

Hey- isn’t it National Whipped Cream day? I think I heard that somewhere today (and I immediately thought- Janetha probably knows this)

janetha January 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yesterday was! Today is national shortbread day and national bean day.

Bridget @ Type A-Frame Personality January 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

My forhead hurts from slapping it after reading some of these. The straw w/ the strawberry thing is amazing. The walnut thing looks like magic to me. Hope your stomach is doing better!

Sami January 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

brillianttttttttttttt. i love the walnut idea! i think she got some of these from pinterest!

Brooke January 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hi Janetha, you are the first person that introduced me to pintrest, and I really appreciate all of the info and great posts you have on your blog. So…. do you think you could invite me to join pintrest? I don’t know a single person who has one and I have been on the waiting list FOREVER. LOL. I totally understand if you are too busy.

Liz January 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I got the same email today, but with some variations!

You can also:
– remove crayon from your TV or computer screen with WD-40
– hold together a sliced apple with a rubber band
– Store matching sheets inside pillow cases

janetha January 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

haha those were all on my email too… but i deleted about half of the tips because it was such a long email!

kara January 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

scrolled down to say i got this email this week too!!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I love allll of these things!!! So genius.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

The only one of these I heard of before was the iphone in a bowl thing so this was kind of amazing.
I just pinned the sh*t out of this post. Word.

Erin January 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Genius! Love these!!

Jessy (squeezetheday) January 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Have you already posted this before? I remember seeing this, but don’t know where!

janetha January 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Nope, I just got the email recently!

Jessy (squeezetheday) January 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Never mind, I found it – Pinterest for the win, hah. It’s from here: http://www.thedailybuzz.com.au/2011/11/25-clever-ideas_household-tips_storage-ideas/

julie January 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm

this post makes me SO ANGRY because i’m screaming WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

momma b. January 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh man I must have missed these the first time around or else maybe I’ve had a stroke :)

I LOVE all of the tips and am amazed that you actually got such a great photo of under my kitchen sink (wink, wink!)

Thanks for all you do for me every single day of my life – I love you TOO much!!

xoxo

Kyle @ Getting Better and Better January 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Love tip #7…and nothing says love like sulphur, depending on how sensitive you are to eggs!

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

these are fabulous! the cookie dough bowls are pure genius, and i could definitely use those frozen aloe cubes pretty much every time i’m exposed to the sun (fair skinned irish girl,here!)

Bonnie January 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Great post, J! These are SO practical and I think everyone’s going “OH YEAH!” when they read it. ;) Also, I loved your mom’s comment above – moms are the best! Happy weekend (and hope your GI issues come to a conclusion soon!).

Allison January 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

i’ve actually tried the popcorn in the brown paper bag, it works perfectly! i love that one. way easier than bustin out the airpopper

Kris January 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I have always wanted to do the cookie bowl thing. the heart shaped egg is a new one for me – how cool is THAT??

have a great weekend, friend! hope the doc goes well today.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

LOVE the bread ties on cords idea! Thanks!

Kalyn January 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Love the iPhone music trick– saving this broke girl dolla, dolla bills (forget those Bose Companion speakers I’ve been looking at!)

jeralyn January 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Awesome ideas! I’m so trying the cupcakes holder…I love making them but always ruin them when I transport them.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

These are SO good! Putting my IPhone in a bowl will really do that, ummm why didn’t I know that? And the tension rod to hang cleaning products, uhhh hello genius! Thanks so much for sharing these and hope you have a fabulous weekend :)

sarah @ sarah learns January 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

so going to do that wrapping paper one…i HATE my current storage system (aka throw it in the closet).

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I love these little tips…I hate sand that sticks after the beach…gonna try the baby powder tip. Also the popcorn in paper bag and the cookie bowls….so crafty! Hope all is well on the GI front :)

Kerryne January 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm

OMG.. amazing ideas. I am trying a few of those FOR SURE! Thanks!

Pure2raw twins January 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

love these tips some I have seen before but some I have not! thanks for sharing I always love learning something new! and I will have to try that baby powder for sand in the summer :)

meggi January 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

LOVE these tips! I saw some of these on pinterest! Love the under the sink idea and the closet ceiling idea. BRILLIANT! :)

J @ ... semplicemente j ... January 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Love them all, but I really have to try the iPhone one … I will advise … :)

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark January 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm

OMG where have these tips been my whole life?? So thankful for the google reader star feature right now so I won’t forget about these.Especially love the tension rod until the sink and iphone in a bowl idea. Now to get an iphone….

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 7, 2012 at 9:21 am

omg i live for tips like this…LOVE!

Brittany January 7, 2012 at 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing these tips Janetha. I haven’t seen most of them and I can’t wait to make the heart hard boiled eggs for v-day this year. Love those!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) January 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ok love the tension rod and wrapping paper holder = genius! Love it!

Corey @ Learning Patience January 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

OMG girl…SO happy to be back in the flow of things….the past 2 months have been NUTS! I LOVE the heart shapped hard boiled eggs…..AMAZING! I already use the brown paper bag trick….easy breesy healthy! LOVE the cookie thing too….neat idea.

xoxo from Tobago

Michelle @Lipstick and Lunges January 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Ahh I love the bread-tie trick! And the wrapping paper one, for sure. Great ideas, thanks for sharing :)
— Michelle

Allison January 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

If I made a batch of the ice cream bowls, I don’t know what I’d eat first- the ice cream or the bowl [potential mess] :P The bread tie trick is awesome and exactly what we should have done this weekend- we got a new entertainment system… What did they use to shape the eggs?!

Liz J January 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I Love them all! The cookie ice cream bowl has been on my list for a while! such a brilliant idea!

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland January 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

Awesome tips! #2 and #6 are going to happen very soon at my house!

elise January 10, 2012 at 7:49 am

these are brilliant and simple it makes me squeal!