first day do-over.

by Janetha on January 2, 2012

in eating out,love life,moves

hey guys!

it’s 10 PM and this is the first time i’ve opened my laptop today. i’ve been on the go, go, go.

speaking of laptops.. i am loving my mac. not loving the blog writing software so much (using mars edit right now) but i think i will be taking paige’s advice and will be running windows live writer from my mac eventually.. i just have to get a copy of windows first. other than the blog writing hangup, i love everything about my mac and am so happy i went with one over a PC.  BUT.. i really hope my photos can be rescued from my old PC. i haven’t had the chance to pay someone to look at it yet (okay, i haven’t had the money, let’s be real.)

today was super productive on the sleeping, cleaning, fitness, and fun front. i think that’s because yesterday i was a total waste of space and did nothing with myself. oh–except for see the girl with the dragon tattoo which i LOVED! now i want to read the trilogy of novels. anyway, since the real first day of the year was pretty worthless, i declared today a new year’s day do-over.

today i slept in until 10 AM.. had to soak in that one last day off before i go back to the daily grind tomorrow. i think getting a lot of sleep is a really productive thing. it’s good for our health!

between 10 AM and 2 PM, i cleaned my heart out. scrubbed the bathrooms, deep cleaned the kitchen (including the fridge), did all the laundry (but, of course, have not yet folded it..), washed the sheets, and organized my closet. new year, clean house.. right?

NewImage

i headed to the gym at 2 o’clock. i technically finished the last day of the 12 week trainer last saturday, but i want to stay super fit before my trip to mexico (at the end of the month) so i am going to do four additional weeks of the program. i have opted to do weeks 7, 8, 9, and 10. those specific workouts combine heavier lifting with various states of cardio (steady, high intensity intervals, and sprints) so i can build additional muscle while keeping any pesky fat away.

so, with that plan in mind, i tackled the first day of week 7 today. it was an arms, abs, and cardio workout.

arms/abs:

• barbell 21’s 2 sets at 25#
  • ball crunch 3 x 50
  • jackknife sit-ups with ball in hands 3 x 15
  • reverse crunches with ball between feet 3 x 15

cardio:

• upright stationary bike:
    • 1 minute at level 20 (standing up while pedaling)
    • 4 minutes at level 12 (seated)
    • repeat 5 more times
    • 30 minutes total

after the gym i came home, cleaned myself up, and headed out!

marshall & i had a double date planned with kristen & rory. we hadn’t seen them in SO long (aside from the new year’s eve party) and we hadn’t even had a chance to exchange christmas gifts yet. madness.

we met for an early dinner at my favorite thai restaurant in salt lake city.

IMG 9057

sawadee is located on 750 east and south temple. if you are in the area, i highly recommend you try it!

we started with the tofu soup to share.

IMG 9060

it comes out in a hot pot and the soup stays warm with the flame that’s under the bowl. i am sure there is a technical name for this, but i am not hip to the thai restaurant lingo.

IMG 9061

the soup had glass noodles. fresh tofu, cilantro, green onion, white pepper, baby corn, and garlic. it is SO fresh and flavorful!

for my entree, i ordered the steamed veggies, chicken, and peanut sauce. the vegetables were so bright! i have been lacking in the vegetable consumption lately, so this is just what i needed.

IMG 9064

the side of peanut size was large enough to bathe a small child in.. i mean, better too much than not enough, i guess?

IMG 9066

after our delicious meal, we headed to kristen & rory’s to exchange gifts and say hi to the pups. we didn’t have long, because we had tickets to the jazz game. unfortunately our seats weren’t together, so we parted ways and headed to the game.

IMG 9083

i LOVE NBA games and i am really glad they got the ball rolling (er, bouncing?) on starting the season.. even if it was a little late.

this game was extra special because kristen’s sister performed at the halftime show. they did a great job!

IMG 9071

i am always so impressed when i watch dancers. i just can’t imagine remembering all the moves, not messing up, not falling on my face, and staying in sync with the others.. all at the same time. i could not do it.  i also could not stand on my head.

IMG 9072

these girls were incredible.

after the halftime show, marshall & i went to find a sweet treat. we were pleased to find a self serve ice cream/frozen yogurt/frozen custard spot!

IMG 9076

the only downfall was the gigantic line we waited in to weigh & pay. by the time we’d checked out, my ice cream was super melty. that didn’t stop me from eating it, though. i went with cookies & cream, vanilla, and strawberry.

the second half of the game was really intense! it was a nail biter, but we came out on top.

IMG 9084

jazz games are much more fun when they win!

NewImage

and look! my black eye is almost gone. my nose still hurts a little bit when i touch it, but at least it keeps me from picking my nose.

see ya later!

stephanie January 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm

sounds like a fun night! glad you like your new computer! you are so beautiful even with a black eye, but I’m glad its getting better

those dancers look amazing…standing on your head in a perfect circle?…crazy!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I loooove Thai food. If I could eat any one cuisine for the rest of my life, that would be it! I used to be a dancer – I got to the professional level and then quit, as you do. Dancing isn’t that hard, but you have to have good spatial awareness to stay in synch. When I was younger and didn’t wear contact lenses, I refused to wear my glasses on stage. The only problem is that on the 1-10 scale, where 10 represents legally blind, I’m an 8. I must have amazing spatial awareness because I never crashed into anyone, despite not being able to see a damn thing. I cannot stand on my head, however.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama January 2, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I don’t even know where to start commenting on this. You had such a full day. I’m exhausted just reading about it. Ha ha! Jealous of your date, Thai food, clean house and even your melty ice cream. :) Happy New Year!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 2, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Wow what a day.

Running Windows on my Mac was a MAJOR pain for me. It slowed my machine down horribly and wasnt good. Ive heard others do okay with it, some better than others, but for me, not a good thing. After running Windows, if you already know WLW up and down and sideways which you do, then it’s worth it…but for me, I didnt know how to use WLW and so rather than dealing w/ the learning curve AND the slow machine, I said screw it and blog from the WP platform.

Mars Edit. Havent tried that one. Do you like it?

elise January 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm

bet you cant WAIT to get back to picking your nose. haha. nerd.

so fyi i switched to a mac a little over a year ago and was so disappointed in all the blogging programs. i got windows on it (using virtualbox) and still use livewriter to blog. its simply the best tool. lemme know if you discover another way of doing it though.

Ellen Clifford January 3, 2012 at 12:01 am

I agree 200 percent with you on the sleep thing! Pretty much the only time I get sick is when I’m not getting enough…

Mary (A Merry Life) January 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

Macs are always better. ;) Seriously the only thing not better is the lack of blogging software. They should get on that too since a ton of bloggers use macs!

Sounds like a fun day!

Lauren January 3, 2012 at 4:49 am

Love my mac but I’ve never used any blog editing software. I think I should though. I played around with Livewriter on my PC but I never got into it for some reason.

Erica January 3, 2012 at 5:27 am

What a fantastic day! I’m SO jealous of your sleep. Peanut had some serious digestive issues last night and barely slept a wink. Bahhh- it shall be a fun day at work today :(. Your entree looks so fresh and healthy. Makes me want to make stir fry tonight. Deliciousness. Glad you had fun

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 3, 2012 at 5:50 am

I’m so glad they got the ball bouncing, too! Go Bulls :) But really, NBA is probably my favorite out of NFL, MLB, and NBA to watch on TV.

And yeah – virtual box ftw! VMWare Fusion makes me love my mac :)

SweatyGirl January 3, 2012 at 6:28 am

Holy cow, those headstands?! what the what!?

Amazing.

Trisha January 3, 2012 at 6:31 am

My dad and brother were at that game last night! I watched the first half on TV, but I heard the second was even better.

Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 3, 2012 at 6:43 am

All of that thai food looks delish! There’s a place here I’ve been meaning to try so hopefully I’ll get to go soon. Glad your nose is healing up! I’ve never been to an NBA game…tons and tons of college ones but never an NBA one. I need to change that!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 3, 2012 at 6:48 am

I have no interest in NBA games- but love seeing them live! Basketball is definitely a much more interesting sport to watch live.
And having fro-yo would make it even better!
Gotta say that I am loving the flame under the soup bowl idea… wonder if I could test that out at home. :)

Sami January 3, 2012 at 7:20 am

black eye or no black eye, you’re beautiful!

you did a great job with all the cleaning! your house looks SO organized! great way to bring in 2012…

annnnddd the bf and i just got 76ers tickets! it will be my first nba game, and this post just made me even more excited for it!
xo

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 3, 2012 at 7:25 am

I’m going to need to figure out the Windows on a Mac thing to work from home eventually… my tech friend said that using an external hard drive of at least 1TB really helps..?

The Delicate Place January 3, 2012 at 7:39 am

i love my MBP..once you go mac you never go back! <3 we may not have many sushi joints in this town but we have a thai paradise…seriously like 6 of them in a 2mi radius haha. love the food though so flavorful! i'm a bit of a weirdo who likes to sweat while they eat. i know it's a good meal when i finish a bowl of soup with a glistening upper lip and sniffles haha.

can i hire you for cleaning and to work out for me? my mojo for moving is lost haha. i head back to work tomorrow for good though so i better shake my lazy bones and get going!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 3, 2012 at 8:18 am

WOW, what a day!! I LOVED the Girl with the Tattoo series–they were all seriously awesome and hook you IN every single page. The first book has some background stuff, so beware, it might be a tad slow for a few pages, but stick with it–you can thank me later ;)

Glad you all had a fun date night!! And that workout sounds fabulous!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 3, 2012 at 8:19 am

P.s. I am SO sad I did not log the last 3 days of Dec for the fitness thing! I got really busy with fam…..so in case you count these 3 workouts, here they are ;)

Dec 30: Taught 1 Hour ZUMBA class
Dec 31: Elliptical for 45 minutes
Dec 31: Taught BodyPUMP (1 hour)

Anna January 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

I started LiveFit trainer yesterday, thanks for your motivation to do it!

ps…I think your black eye just makes you look hardcore. work it.

Bria January 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

Nice do-over.

I agree with you about dancers…they amaze me too, and I used to be sort of into dance!

And hey, you could stand on your head. I could teach you that. No need to be able to touch your toes first, either. Esp with the upper body and core strength you have, with some work, standing on your head is totally realistic/doable.

If you’re into that sort of thing. No everyone is, and that’s totally cool. ;-)

Good luck getting back into the grind.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 3, 2012 at 8:50 am

i’d love to try out that thai restaurant – my husband and i LOVE thai food.

mmm Farr’s ice cream – love that stuff! what a great day!

Lee January 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

I like Mars Edit over Ecto or Bloggo, but I’ve always blogged on a Mac and never used WLW so I think I don’t know what I’m missing.

dana @ my little celebration January 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

Best night ever! Seriously? Your life is so rad, friend.

Happy Tuesday!

Alysa (InspiredRD) January 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

That Thai food looks incredible! I am totally jealous of your clean house. I haven’t been able to get a hold on the excess in our rental house (it’s smaller than our old house), so I feel like I can’t seem to get it clean. That and it makes my back so sore to sweep/mop/vacuum. Ok, that’s enough whining…time to go do some more organizing/purging :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thai food AND basketball AND ice cream… that is a night out to end all nights out. Love it. We still haven’t exchanged Christmas gifts with my bestie and her husband yet, oops.

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre January 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

I’ve had parallels for like 4 months now and still haven’t bought the windows license so I could run livewriter on my mac. I’m trying to find an inexpensive way to go about it…amazon has some deals, let me know if you end up doing it!

Allison January 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love my Mac [and all of my other Apple products], even if it farts out on me sometimes… I had to take it into the store last night and found out that my logic board [aka mother board] needs to be replaced- my computer wasn’t recognizing the monitor so it would freak out and randomly shut down… Thankfully it’s under warrenty and I won’t have to pay anything [if it wasn’t, I’d be shelling out $720+]!

julie January 3, 2012 at 11:51 am

workout twins! we did the same workout yesterday! hahaha

julie January 3, 2012 at 11:51 am

p.s. did you do legs today? double leg lunges are the bane of my existence

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’ve missed you too!!!
I’d totally pick your nose for you …that’s a true friend.

Melissa January 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

looks like a great day, good mix of productive and fun!

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie January 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

My MacBook Pro is probably the BEST purchase I’ve made. I will NEVER use a PC again, mark my word. Their built in virus protection alone is worth the high price.
Sounds like you had a great holiday!

Roz@weightingfor50 January 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

OMG, those headstandin’ dancers are amazing! I laughed out loud at your nose picking comment. (call me childish, but I did) Have a great day.

meggi January 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Glad to hear you loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! My husband LOVES thai so we will definitely try Sawadee! We usually just go to Thai Siam because it’s around the corner from us but I love trying new places! :)

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs January 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Um basically, that’s like what an awesome night for me and my husband would be. We LOVE Sawadee SO MUCH! And Energy Solutions has a froyo place? That alone makes me want to go to a Jazz game again!

Susan January 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

I tried all the Mac blogging programs and hated them all, so now I blog old-school right out of wordpress. They’ve actually made a bunch of changes to the wordpress dashboard recently and blogging from it isn’t as bad a headache as it used to be. I hate Windows though. As much as I love Live Writer, I hate Windows enough to not want it taking up any precious space on my Mac so I can blog.

Parita @ myinnershakti January 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

That soup looks amazing but I will pretty much eat anything with tofu in it!

And like my mom always says, a clean home is a happy home. :)

Amanda January 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I really like the Jaime Eason workouts. I have been following her on FB and I think she is adorable. I need to just get the ball rolling on following her 12 week program.

I LOVE peanut sauce and would have flipped over that huge bowl, Yum!

Stephanie @ afitbliss.com January 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm

You have to post about how you get windows live writer on your mac! I have a mac as well and am also using Mars Edit, but this is mostly because I am a new blogger. I didn’t even know I could get windows on my mac. I will look into this, but if you know anything else, please let me know!

And, I have chicken with peanut sauce for dinner tonight. :) delicious!