bringing them back.

by Janetha on December 30, 2011

in goals

well, today was my last day at the office. this year, at least. won’t be quitting my day job any time soon.. that’s for sure.

i met some girlfriends for lunch at 12:30 today. my friend j5 is moving to australia! lucky girl. she’s an archaeologist and got a great gig down under.  we went to the citris grill. i love that place! hadn’t been in forever.

i ordered a blackened prawn salad which had spinach, gorgonzola, candied pecans, strawberries, avocado, onions, and a sweet balsamic vinaigrette. the lighting was horrible and so my photo didn’t turn out. i am sure you know what a salad looks like.

i did manage to snag a photo with the ladies–my black eye is getting better!

since things have been dead at the office, i opted to not head back to work and instead met up with marshall to run a few errands. we needed some stuff from the mall. you know.. hairspray.. gym clothes.. sparkly goat head rings. the usual.

i had an eye appointment later in the day and despite my lack of properly caring for my eyes, my contact prescription hasn’t changed. i am trying out the new air optix night & day contact lenses because you are allowed to sleep with them on your eyeballs for 30 days straight. this is something i do anyway, so i may as well go with a contact that the FDA has approved and given the A-OK to sleep in for a month.

after my eye appointment i headed to the gym for a shoulders & cardio workout. the only cardio i can do right now is the ol’ stationary bike since my broken nose doesn’t like the idea of running and all that bouncing around.  tomorrow is technically the last day of my 12 week livefit training program, but since i have nothing better to do i have made the decision to prolong the livefit workouts into january. i go to mexico in a month, so i plan to do the last 2 weeks of phase 2 and the first 2 weeks of phase 3 in order to stay in shape before the trip.

and that’s that.

wow. it seems a tad surreal that the last day of the year is tomorrow. that sure snuck up on me. pretty sure it does that every year. but honestly, the older i get.. the faster time flies. 2011 went by ridiculously quick!

i had a couple resolutions that i blogged about at the beginning of 2011… to touch my toes and to close things. i know, weird resolutions, but that’s what they were.

i failed at touching my toes. i tried. really, i did. i gave bikram yoga a try (only type of yoga i have ever done, in fact) and i stretched a whole bunch. since my dear old dad can’t touch his toes either, i am going to go ahead and blame genetics for this one. we just have tight hamstrings, that’s all! however, i will continue to try to touch my toes and i renew my resolution to touch them one day.. but my new deadline is set for before i die. sound good?

on the close things resolution—well, let me explain. i used to always leave the lid loose on containers or wouldn’t close cereal boxes. it REALLY bothered marshall. i quickly changed my habit and am very mindful of closing things tightly now. good for me. resolution success!

one out of two isn’t bad, right?

this year, i am joining marshall in a couple of his 2012 goals. these are two goals i have done before, and they were good ones, so i’m bringing them back.

no soda.

no candy.

i didn’t drink a drop of soda in 2010. i didn’t eat a bite of candy in 2009.  in 2011, however, i did drink a little bit of soda (maybe 5 total) and i ate a whole lot of candy… just because it was there.

soda and candy don’t make my world go round. that’s what cereal and ice cream are for. soda isn’t something i drink, even if it is there. the only times i drank it this year was when i was sick (sprite) and i had a dr. pepper at a mexican restaurant (love.) candy is something i typically avoid, but over the holidays i found myself eating piece after piece after piece just because it was everywhere i looked. and i didn’t even really enjoy it. what a waste.

soda and candy aren’t doing my teeth any favors. i know i won’t miss either of them. i am nixing them in 2012.. thanks for marshall for the idea and motivation.

i have to say that i really appreciate the fact that marshall is really into being healthy. having a supportive spouse is HUGE when trying to live a healthy lifestyle. he did the no candy thing with me successfully in 2009 and his resolution for 2011 was no soda—he did it. he went from a pepsi pounder and mountain dew maniac to zero soda—aside from izze—and he’s even giving that up this year.

marshall goes to the gym daily, packs his own healthy lunches, requests healthy dinners, and is really conscious about staying in shape. (we are ignoring the fact that he can eat pints of ben & jerry’s with no consequence.) i have to give him a big fat thank you because he inspires me and encourages me to get to the gym and eat mindfully each and every day. sappy, but true, i love the guy.

well.. hope you have a great friday night, and if i don’t make it back.. have a happy, fun, and safe new year’s eve!

Q~

any resolutions or goals for 2012 you’d like to share with the class?

p.s. the BLEND retreat chobani winner is:

congrats! use my contact form to send me your address. hope to see you all at BLEND in may!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama December 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Awww… I like those goals. I’m still figuring mine out. I have 24 hours to get it together. Having a supportive husband is so key. :) You’re a lucky lady! And yes, I think 1 out of 2 isn’t bad. Ha! Hope you enjoy one last soda and your favorite candy to finish off 2011. :)

Julie December 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I agree, having a supportive partner is really great when trying to live healthfully. What does Marshall like to pack for lunch? I’m curious because my husband works out of his work van & it’s tough sometimes to come up with portable items that fill him up!

lindsay December 30, 2011 at 11:31 pm

happy new year friend! its almost 2012 here and just wanted to say that I am glad to “know” you. Hope to officially MEET you in 2012!
p.s.
You and my hubs are the same with lids. Time to seal the deal.
;)

Asian Bitch December 31, 2011 at 1:04 am

No soda?? I can do no candies (I think…) but not no soda. You impress me.
I don’t have any goal, because I never achieve them and it’s just depressing. No goal = No reason to be depressed. Very logic, I know.

p.s: I just spent 1 min scrubbing my computer screen because I thought that the bruise under your eye was a stain or something. You still look radiant though :). I really like your hair in this picture!

Janetha January 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hahaha that’s awesome. And thank you :)

Lauren December 31, 2011 at 3:56 am

I am the worst offender of taking proper care of my eyeballs too! I think my eye doc hates me for it. :)

Good goals! I kicked soda out of my life years ago (was never really a fan) and I swear I never miss it. I never even crave it, not even a drop. I do love some seltzer water and I know people say it’s just not the same but I beg to differ.

melissanibbles December 31, 2011 at 5:06 am

I don’t have any resolutions. Last year I resolved to bone more dudes and save money. Neither of them happened. My poor vagina :(
You are so lucky to have Marshall. You guys inspire me to wait for that one person that is truly right for me and not to settle. I wish you both a very Happy New Year with no soda and no candy! Lots of sex though.

Erica December 31, 2011 at 5:52 am

Im soooo loving the blend retreat idea-genius! Not sure ill be able to make it this round bc of the peanut, but im def interested in round 2. Great goals. I only drink diet soda when i go out to wat, but would love to kick that!!

Allison December 31, 2011 at 5:57 am

I seem to always make resolutions on New Year’s and forget them within a few weeks- no joke, literally forget them! I think it’s cause they are just something that I think of on the spot and really have no significance to my life… This year I am going to set a few goals and stick to them [through the help of tracking progress on the blog and having my Dear hold me accountable]: save $$$, set a wedding date, and work on my health [not purely physical, but overall aka related to my Lupus and other conditions]!

katie December 31, 2011 at 6:07 am

Marshall rocks! Its great that you both are having the same goals for 2012! Mike and I are starting Insanity for the new year, Im being his supportive wifey and doing it with him, he really wants to get in better shape and to eat healthier too! I am excited to help him out, and its great he always supports my healthy lifestyle and now wants to lead a healthier lifestyle ; )

Love you! Happy New Years Eve!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices December 31, 2011 at 6:23 am

i’m going without chocolate for two weeks. i’ve been eating crazy levels of chocolate in the past few weeks so i’m calling it quits for a bit. happy new years! :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 31, 2011 at 6:30 am

Random question: Is the green top you’re wearing in the first photo from Ann Taylor Loft? I think I have the same one in grey…

sarah @ sarah learns December 31, 2011 at 6:54 am

awww, that’s awesome that marshall is so into being healthy with you! my husband is halfway there…but he indulges way more than i’d like and we keep “his” foods in the house, which of course means i eat them.

chips + dip are my weakness. i can pound a LOT of dip in a small amount of time & it is not pretty.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 31, 2011 at 6:59 am

good goals! Haha I can’t touch my toes either… :)

Kerryne December 31, 2011 at 7:18 am

Those are great goals. You are a very lucky lady! I wish my husband was a little “healthier”. I have to make two dinners every. single. night. One for me, and one for them. I try to prep mine all out over the weekend so I only have to make one (for them) but that doesn’t always last me the whole week. Sucks.

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 31, 2011 at 7:22 am

Very lucky to have a supportive guy around.
And I have air optix – love them! just eye drops in the morning and I’m good to go!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 31, 2011 at 7:40 am

Great goals! I gave up soda years ago and I don’t even really like it anymore. Good luck with everything and happy new year! :)

Lee December 31, 2011 at 8:04 am

I wish my husband was healthier. He will eat what I make, but I have a sneaking suspicion that when I’m not around, he eats Burger King.

Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 31, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love the goals, and I’m with you on the touching toes thing. Everyone in my family has the tightest hamstrings and none of us can touch our toes. Genetics, I blame you!

Eates-a-lot December 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

So last year i started something inspired by a blogger. Instead of going a traditional resolution, I did 2 words: Free and Balance. I was absolutely successful in those. So for 2012, after much thought, I chose Fail. I want to fail at something this year. Like really fail.

If your interested, here’s a run down for my reasoning…

Olivia December 31, 2011 at 9:20 am

Pretty much same as you guys – no candy, no soda – but also to stick with clean eating 90% of the time!

The Delicate Place December 31, 2011 at 9:52 am

your hair looks really cute with the soft waves! and honestly, you look pretty bad ass with the black eye as in…’you should see the other guy!’ i can’t say nate is that into exercise but he does eat well for the most part. i just finished my last pack of birth control and yesterday was day 1 of not starting my refill so let’s see how that goes. it’s my resolve to make sure i get my hormones in balance this year. i was kind of horrified that i have spent 4 years pumping synthetic hormones into myself when in 20 yrs i might have to consider HRT. i figured i’d save the pills for then not when i’m young and otherwise healthy! i have a plan of attack that includes less exercise, more yoga, more bedtime exercise ;) & a tad less coffee (never giving it up!). nate promised to help me achieve this goal and has bettered his eating habits since i can’t get him to the gym haha :) gotta keep him young & spry right?

Pure2raw twins December 31, 2011 at 10:33 am

I honestly have not really thought about making new goals this year. last year I tried not to put pressure on myself for reaching goals, but more in the lines tried to always do better each day. work hard, and make small goals throughout the year

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) December 31, 2011 at 11:24 am

I think it’s awesome that the two of you support/motivate each other!

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and start the LiveFit Trainer in 2012!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 31, 2011 at 11:43 am

I think those are great resolutions!

stephanie December 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

those are great resolutions. and thats so awesome that your hubs is healthy too!

Nicole G December 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Girl, you are right! 2011 did fly by faster than any other year so far! I remember you posting about your “touching your toes” resolution. Crazy that it has been a year already!!

Congrats to J5 for getting a new job in Australia~! What a great experience!!

I have made a few personal resolutions such as: Remembering to take a vitamin daily, working out for 30 minutes at least 3x/week (not hard to do, but with two small kiddos, it is a challenge…for me), incorporating more fish and tons of veggies into my diet, and I want to start keeping a journal to vent about my stresses and goals.

We also made some family resolutions: I am getting a bike and plan to ride some trails with the husband and kiddos, and we really want to work on eating less sugar, and just being more active as a family. I am really excited and motivated. I hope I can motivate everyone else in my family too. Love that Marshall supports you and your healthy habits like he does! You guys rock!

Thanks for sharing your life with us and being an inspiration to all us strangers :) Not to sound corny, but it really is appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Nicole
St. Louis, MO

Stephanie @cookinfanatic December 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Happy new years eve! Love your hair in that first pic, so cute! My resolution this year is one that I saw on IGE that I kinda adopted for myself too, since I don’t normally like to do resolutions for some reason. It was to be a better listener, since many times I find my mind racing to the next thought when I really should be doing a better job tuning into conversations. I think this is one that I can definitely stick to and accomplish :)

megan @ muncher cruncher December 31, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I am with you on the no candy thing girl! And don’t you worry, that black eye is SEXY. It makes you look tough! ;) Happy New Years!!

Denise December 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

No soda, no candy- you are setting yourself up for failure!!! Maybe you should say reduce candy and soda!!! Hope we all have an awesome 2012!!!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate December 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I have the night and day contacts that you can sleep in. I love them! Trust me, they’re awesome!

Eden December 31, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I wrote “un-resolutions” for my blog today. They are things I DONT think need improvement of change. Things I like as is. Its less stress than making actual resolutions.

I won’t get on board with the no soda/candy thing because I think I’d diet without it.
No joke.

Sorry I’m so behind on my blog reading. I know, I know, I shouldn’t apologize for this since I have you on speed dial on my phone, but I am. Deal with it.

I hope you have a great new years ( I know you will evidenced to Instagram).

cathy@1970kikiproject December 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

happy new year, janetha!
time really does fly – i remember your toe touching goal from last year!
kudos to you and marshall on teaming up on no candy or POP! i am just glad that cereal is not on the banned list!!
i like your sweet words about marshall – so glad you two have each other!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 31, 2011 at 11:47 pm

First of all your hair looks amazing!!! that’s pretty cool that your friend got a job down under. I’m a bit partial to the place…but that’s just cuz I live here now (but I am american born & raised). Really like the new year’s resolution’s too!!! I gave up soda and fast food a while back after watching super size me. Haven’t touched the stuff since.

Some of my goals for this year are to put on a little more muscle and also to have fun in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes

cookie January 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

I wish it was that easy for me to stop eating candy and drinking soda. The soda-part is easier though. When I am thinking about how much sugar is in there, I can mostly keep my hands off. I am usually only drinking it when I go out, which is not that often.

Janetha January 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, luckily it’s easy for me since I am not tempted by it. I just consume it because it is there. I always try to pick a resolution that makes sense and is obtainable!

Betty January 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I told barbara I wanted to tell her one thing I love about her/our relationship every day.. I wanted to drink more water all the time (not just at work) and be more active with the pups! Happy new year!!!

kelsey January 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm

good luck with your resolutions! can i have your will power for christmas? :)

Janetha January 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Haha yes. It comes in a can.

Theodora January 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Your hair looks so adorable in these pics, pretty lady! Is that from that wave-maker thingamajig?

Janetha January 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

YES! I am obsessed with it. And thanks!

Theodora January 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I need to get one of those. My hair is as pin-straight as yours, and I’m absolutely clueless on curling it with a straightening iron.

Janetha January 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Dude, me too. Every time I tried, my hair ended up all kinked and bent and F-ed up. You gotta get one.

Cathy January 7, 2012 at 5:33 am

I’m a little late catching up on blogs after the holidays. LOVE the no candy resolution. I might get a late start and join you on that one. One problem though…does that mean no candy toppings on FroYo? Might be the dealbreaker for me!