snow day.

by Janetha on December 28, 2011

in family time,love life

hey guys!

i had the day off from work today! as you may know, my sister and her fam are in town from california. they aren’t here in the winter very often, so when they are they have to take full advantage of the situation. on the agenda today was skiing! (snowboarding for me and my brother in law.)

the last time (and only time) my nieces went skiing was in 2009–

NewImage

i blogged about it here.

today was only a half day.. partly because the snow is super crappy and partly because we are all wimps and the thought of a full day of skiing/snowboarding with the kiddos was a little daunting.

prior to heading up to the resort, i headed to the gym. i had to take full advantage of my day off! i went to the gym at 10:30 AM and WOW, sure wish i didn’t have that whole day job thing because the gym was absolutely dead. it was fabulous.

you might be wondering why i am working out with a broken nose. well, i am actually feeling a lot better. i haven’t taken pain meds in over two days. my face looks bad, but it only hurts to the touch. my nose doesn’t look crooked, so i don’t think i will need surgery! so happy about that.

i don’t think running would be a good idea, but my workout today was lifting chest and calves.. nothing that requires too much bouncing around. i went ahead and completed the workout–which was day 80 of the livefit trainer–and felt really great afterward.

this workout was a GIANT set–seven different moves, 20 reps each move, lighter weight.. then a 3 minute rest before completing the set twice more for a total of three sets. here it is:

• barbell bench press (50#) x 20 reps
  • incline dumbbell chest press (15# ea) x 20 reps
  • dumbbell flyes (10# ea) x 20 reps
  • assisted dips x 20 reps
  • pushups x 20 reps
  • standing calf raise (120#) x 20 reps
  • laying calf raise on leg press machine (90# plus sled) x 20 reps

the workout called for 30-40 minutes of cardio afterward, but i just did 25 minutes of easy cycling on the bike and called it good.

i picked my snowboard gear up from lindsay, my friend who i was in the car accident with, and headed up to brighton (the ski resort.)  i was really anxious driving up the canyon and drove super slow. it was a really weird feeling and i hope i am not always super sketched out when i drive in the canyon from now on!

i quickly met up with my mom, sister, brother in law, and nieces who had already taken a couple of runs. this was my first time riding this season–i know, i can’t believe it either, i am such a loser–and it was so nice to be back on the slopes!

NewImage

the snow was crappy, but it was still a good time.  spending time with family never gets old.

NewImage

NewImage

NewImageNewImage

NewImage

NewImage

we called it a day at about 4:30 and headed down the mountain. i was a basket case driving DOWN the canyon, since that’s the direction we were going when i broke my nose on saturday. i was driving suuuuper slow and my knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel so tight. it wasn’t even snowing! i was just so anxious.

i made it out of the canyon alive and we stopped for some mexican food. we stopped at pistol pete’s and i had a salmon salad plus lots of chips and salsa.

just popped home for a minute to blog, but i think my frozen custard tooth is kicking in.. so i gotta go.

real quick.. wanted to show you how much penny is enjoying her HUGE bone.

NewImage

ha! she is the best ever.

talk tomorrow!

Q~

do you like winter sports? which ones?

Mary Legare Whaley December 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm

That looks like SO much fun. I love winter sports, but being a native of Charleston, SC, it’s a struggle to find snow. I’ve been skiing a few times, and I snowboarded once. The snowboarding was a complete failure. The visibility that weekend was terrible, and I pretty much rolled the whole way down the mountain every time. I thought it would be like wakeboarding, but having the tow rope makes it a very different sport (and wiping out in the water isn’t as painful). Oddly enough, snow skiing is easier for me than water skiing, thanks to the poles I guess? Go figure. Also, Penny is adorable. She looks a lot like my beagle, Abbie, bless her little soul! =)

Katie December 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

How fun that your family all got to hang out on the mountain together! And if it makes you feel any better (it probably doesn’t) I am always a basket case when I drive down mountain passes. They scare the crap out of me.

I used to snowboard every weekend during high school and college, but I haven’t gone in a long time! I need to get my board out of the basement and head up again.

dana @ my little celebration December 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

poor thing! I totally know how that feels being nervous after an accident. I’ve felt that way after close calls as well.

My favorite winter sport is probably skiing and snowboarding as well. I’m not very good at either but they always mean a vacation to the mountains which I’m always game for.

G’night!

Meg December 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Oh how exciting!!! Props to you for snowboarding, last time I tried I ended up receiving a temporary “time out” for running into a bunch of people waiting at the lift. It was a totaly accident but they didn’t think it was cause I was laughing so hard. Anyways, I’m glad you made it home safely, I would’ve driven that way too ha :)

Much love!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Travis and I skiied every single week when we lived in Colorado. We had a pass to Keystone/Breckenridge/A-Basin. Gah – i miss it SO much!! Hoping there will still be snow come April when we go back out!
(btw, your nose already looks less swollen)

Liz J December 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I do love snowboarding… but my knees get sore when I do it! I wonder if I have poor form?

sarah @ sarah learns December 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

i love skiing but i haven’t been in a couple years! that’s sad…

did the goggles hurt your poor nose?! ouch.

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark December 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Glad to hear you’re getting by without the pain meds-thats awesome!! This looks like such a fun time, I can’t wait to go skiing or snowboarding. I’ve been talking with some of my coworkers who are locals and they gave me the scoop on where to go around here plus a couple of places that offer free lessons or free equipment rental (only open on random days during the week though). Growing up in FL I didn’t get too much exposure to winter sports so it will be something completely new to me!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This looks like so much fun! I have only seen snow once in my life, and that was just a sprinkle. I’d love to go skiing – hopefully next year :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 29, 2011 at 12:26 am

Looks like you and your fam had a great time! I haven’t really lived in an area where it snows so haven’t had the chance to try out many winter sports. I remember going on a ski trip as a kid though and loving it. Definitely something I’m going to have to do again when I visit a snowy city! And totally rocking dedicated december I see :) Btw, how many days total is the livefit training program???

Joy December 29, 2011 at 2:08 am

I’m sorry you’re scared driving – I’m sure it’ll get easier! My favorite winter sports are… Skiing and walking in the woods with dobby! I’m hoping to try x country skiing this year

Eden December 29, 2011 at 2:16 am

I never think running us a good idea ;)
Skiing is the only sport I don’t suck at. Except competitive eating maybe…

Miss u and give momma b a hug for me!

Erica December 29, 2011 at 2:38 am

Glad you took full advantage of your day off!cute pics of the family. I am not a cold weather kind of girl

Betty December 29, 2011 at 5:50 am

I love winter but never have been into winter sports.. I tried snowboarding my senior year of high school and left with a broken tailbone.. I am trying skiing out at the end of jan for Barbara’s bday present request, wish me luck

eef December 29, 2011 at 6:22 am

Fun! Being from Indiana the only winter sport we really have is digging our cars out of inches of ice. And car ice skating on the highway. =\

I’ve gone skiing twice though–Once about ten years ago in Colorado and once last year in Indiana (yeah, we have some hills in southern Indiana, not big ones). I’m not very good at it… When I lived in Germany I attempted to go snowboarding once, but it’s harder than skiing (for me, anyhow) and I was not so successful. We DID go sledding down the mountains a lot. At night. Intoxicated. It’s a thing Germans do. THAT was fun. lol I found a post about it here: http://www.blackbookmag.com/nightlife/a-downhill-death-spiral-during-germanys-carnival-1.37419 even mentions the hotel I used to work at!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 29, 2011 at 7:30 am

Sooo pretty !!! I love the snow. I went snowboarding in Colorado a few years back, and absolutely loved it.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) December 29, 2011 at 7:53 am

loveee snowboarding!

the delicate place December 29, 2011 at 9:29 am

aw i’m glad to hear that your nose is feeling a little better & you had some time for boarding with the fam after all! truth be told, i hate the cold so winter sports aren’t that appealing to me. i have never been skiing and only went snow boarding 1x! i used to figure skate (did you know that?! crazy huh) so i do like going ice skating around the holidays with a big tree in the middle of the rink! it’s so festive and special for me :)

Nicole C December 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

I don’t love winter sports because I live in the crappy desert and there isn’t snow here. SO, I REALLY want to learn to snowboard! I think that would be my favorite and I may just give it a whirl this weekend. Oh and btw, I leave Vegas at 2:10 tomorrow for SLC.

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs December 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

What a fun day!! I am super jealous. At least now we know where all the snow has gone. I mean really, it RAINED last night? WTF.

I haven’t skiied since I was 12, and I tried snowboarding ONCE and almost broke my arm. Itotally want to give skiing another go now that I’m in Utah. I’ve never tried any other winter sport, although I kind of want to try curling :)

kara December 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

yeah, that doesn’t even LOOK fun to me… i’m heading up to vermont tomorrow for the weekend with a bunch of friends. i’ve made it pretty clear that i am not going skiing (i’ve never been in my life and i absolutely despise cold/snow/winter and i am convinced that if i do it, i will get hurt) but i’m pretty sure they still think i will try. no, thanks, i’ll sit inside the warm house and read all day and maybe bake some treats and watch it snow outside. that’s pretty. :)

Sami December 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

i swear, momma b just gets cuter and cuter by the day!

looks like an awesome snow day!

Asian Bitch December 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

I live in Canada (Quebec), and I hate snow.
I almost died last time I went skiing. I fell from the skilift (not from very height, thank goodness)…Never again.

stacey December 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

please be careful with rawhide bones. rawhide is not digestible, and if they swallow a large chunk, it can become lodged in the GI tract and cause an obstruction. i know dogs love them, but there are many risks associated with them! :(

janetha December 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks for the heads up on that. I didn’t know that–I wonder why rawhides are so widely marketed to dogs if they aren’t digestible?! That’s crazy to me.

When the bones get really small, we take them away from Penny because she has been known to swallow the small pieces whole and we don’t want her to choke. I will make sure to watch her even closer now. Thanks!

glidingcalm December 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

penny is so cute!!

And I love your family! Looks like such a fun day! I have yet to go this year!

Rose December 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I hate all winter sports. Which sounds harsh. But MAN I have such an aversion to being cold.

Brittany December 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I’m so glad that you were able to take the day off from work and enjoy snowboarding. :)

I used to ski when I was younger, now I snowboard but I’m not very good and I’m kind of a wuss. As soon as I start going too fast and feeling a little out of control, I make myself fall. Haha. I haven’t been in a few years but I think taking lessons next time I go would be a good idea.

Kelsey December 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I LOVE your pink goggles.

Your mom is AdORABLE.

Penny looks like she is LOVING that bone!

I like snowshoeing the best so far. Cross country skiing will be tried soon.. but I am afraid of going fast after 2 longboard accidents… one ski accident + multiple scars later.

Christin@purplebirdblog December 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Penny’s elated face has me super smiling. :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Winter sports are awesome! I enjoy skiing but I really love watching snowboarding, skiing, and ice skating. I would kill to go to the winter olympics sometime.