dedicated december motivation!

by Janetha on December 13, 2011

in guest posts

hey guys! i want you all to stay motivated to work on your fitness this month! as part of my dedicated december challenge, i have recruited a few people to post about how THEY stay motivated. i am clever and recruited a few certified personal trainers.. so you can bet there is an at-home workout at the end of this post. don’t miss it. my first guest post is from lindsay at lindsay’s list.  today is actually tuesday trainer over at lindsay’s list, so if you do need a dose of janetha g.. i can be found there rambling about a few things.

for now, enjoy lindsay’s post!

****

I like eating Smurfs.

Got your attention? The point – don’t dismiss guest posts! (Something I’ve been guilty of doing before and I’m not quite sure why. I plan to start reading them, and you should too! Starting now.)

———-

Somehow, I’ve fooled Janetha into thinking that I have something worthwhile to share when it comes to fitness. Ha! (I think that SHE thinks I was being serious when I posted my Lawn Fitness Series. Janetha, it’s called sarcasm. And it’s written on the ceiling. No wait…that’s a joke about being gullible, but I forget how it goes.) I do know a few things. I’m an NASM-certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I work part-time at a gym and clients are constantly asking me, “How do I keep this up during the holidays?” I’m sure if you googled “Tips to Stay Fit During The Holidays”, you’d find like a million articles. Do you know why? Because we all have a problem with consistency and drive this time of year. Come January, you won’t be able to set foot in your gym, without being elbowed in the gut by a fellow “resolutionist” (yes, that’s a word. But don’t go look up.) As a society, we tend to let ourselves go from Thanksgiving till New Year’s, and then we waddle, eggnog breath and all, into the gym once January 1st hits. Unnecessary! You can maintain what you’ve got now! You can even get, dare I say, fitter between now and January. You just have to make it work FOR YOU! Like I said, you can search for a myriad of tips, but if you don’t customize them to fit into your holiday lifestyle, it just won’t happen. Here’s what works for ME:

Staying Fit During the Holidays

Schedule Time Take out your planner. You’ve made time for the Company Christmas party, the caroling, the Cookie Swap (I always come out ahead at these…I feel quite sorry for the poor girls who take home my cookies). But have you set aside time to workout everyday? If I don’t write workouts down in my planner, it’s much easier for me to say, “Meh, I’ll do it tomorrow”. At the start of every week, I plan out a tentative workout schedule. I allow myself some room for flexibility – if I need an unexpected rest day, I take it. But having it on paper and in front of me, forces my brain to think about fitness in absolute terms. “This WILL get done today”.

Group Exercise Classes I may be partial since I TEACH group ex, but CLASSES ROCK!! Seriously. All you do is walk in and do what the instructor tells you to do! No complicated workout plan or trying to force a cardio session. You just do as you’re told (a statement that literally comes out of my mouth at least 3 times a day, and NOT while I’m teaching. #toddlermom) I personally prefer Bootcamp classes. These target your entire body, burn tons of calories and are FUN! Just pick an instructor that doesn’t carry a whistle (unless, of course, you enjoy a Jillian Michael’s-type figure standing over you. I tend to not enjoy cowering.)

HIIT & Circuit Training Short on time? The best ways to maximize your results, while minimizing time spent at the gym are by incorporating high intensity interval training (HIIT) and circuit training into your routine. A quick overview: HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise, should take no longer than 25 minutes, and varies between “recovery” speeds and high intensity speeds (or incline). Circuit training is a weight-lifting method, comprised of 6-10 exercises, completed back to back. Phew…lots of words for something that’s supposed to be quick. The best thing? Both of these training tools create an after-burn effect, which causes you to burn calories for hours after your workout is completed. Umm, HELLO Christmas cookie! Oh, who are you kidding? Cookies, plural.

Flashdance My primary job is being a stay-at-home mom to Henry and Clara. That means, well, that I stay home quite a bit. Especially during these colder months, it’s just too much of a hassle to put on thermals, coats, jackets, hats, mittens, scarves…you get the picture, and go to the gym. So we stay home and dance. Or rather, I dance around while they stare at me. Like there’s a show or something.

According to HealthStatus.com, a 140 pound woman burns nearly 200 calories with vigorous dancing. Vigorous? OK!!! Count me in! Plus, dancing is just good for the soul too! It makes you feel happy and energetic. Dancing provides a means of creatively expressing ourselves. It gives you the chance to sing into a hairbrush microphone. If I can burn calories will having fun, I’m all for it!

Lastly, I leave you with a short and sweet at-home circuit, that targets your entire body and requires only a chair!

*Disclaimer – As with any fitness program, always consult a physician before starting.*

Solstice Circuit

Perform each exercise for 50 seconds – resting for 10 seconds between each move. Repeat the circuit 1-2 times, depending on fitness level.

• Heelclickers
  • Split Lunges
  • Burpees with Pushup
  • Ice Picks
  • Squat Jumps
  • Plank
  • Sumo Squat w/Step Up (50 seconds for each leg)
  • Spiderman

Now you have no excuse. Workout, you must. Because, Lord knows, we’re not going to stop eating that Trader Joe’s Cookie Spook stuff by the spoonful.

I’ll stick to Smurfs.

splendid…lindsay

Bonnie December 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Great post, Lindsay! Good tips, I liked hearing your voice come out in the writing, and solid workout! You know how to pick ’em, Janetha! ;)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

My Bonnie! Thanks, friend! ARe you feeling better?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Ahahaha, GREAT way to get our attention! I eat smurfs too. Just so you know. And I’m a fan of spinning and body pump, foreva.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Didn’t want anyone skipping over it!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Great post! I loved reading this! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

love this! both of you are awesome – love you guys. looks like an awesome circuit workout too! looking forward to trying it out. thanks for the motivation and advice, lindsay!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Love you ladies! I just pinned this workout and I’ll definitely get on it sometime soon… seems like a great one!!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

YAY for a pin!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I fought it for so long, but I’m pinning now! :D

Pure2raw twins December 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm

haha love the dancing video! best one ever

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

well thank you!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

nice post fun workout :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I love this post and it’s all so true!

meg December 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm

aww Love this post and the dancing idea! I work from home so I am home A LOT! I also take dance breaks during the day and just kind of dance around the house like a goon! I find it uplifting and a great way to get out of the mid-day rut :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 7:08 am

Totally agree! The kids and I move and groove together – so it’s fun for them too!

momma b. December 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Very well put Lindsay! I just finished day 32 of Jamie Eason live fit……it’s getting tougher… but then I guess I am too :)
Thanks so much for sharing some really great tips :)

xo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

So inspired by you and your daughter!

Jennyb December 14, 2011 at 12:35 am

I mainly do Group Ex classes & actually Lindsey i don’t mind someone yelling & cowering over me – if it makes me work harder, it’s all good!

I have a calendar/planner written out for the next 4 months detailing my marathon training plan & where i’m now going to drop classes in place of running & which cross training & body balance classes i am keeping into the plan. Although though its there (& yes i will be using it like a sticker chart again :) !) i will makes sure its adaptable if it needs to be.

Marie-Sophie December 14, 2011 at 3:36 am

Great post, grrrrreat dance moves (come over to Germany, I want to go dancing with you!:-)), awesome short circuit! Will do that today! Thanks, Lindsay!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

Come to Germany? I’m game!

Marie-Sophie December 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Cool! :-) If we hurry we can hit up the German christmas markets for mulled wine and bratwurst! Yay!

Sarah@The Flying ONION December 14, 2011 at 6:11 am

I love the workout ideas in the last video! So awesome. I’m going to favorite this page so I can start including it. I especially like the spiderman…I’ll bet that works abs, arms AND legs all at once. :D

Great guest post, Lindsay! :D

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 14, 2011 at 8:23 am

Linds is da bomb. I failed to mention on your site that I love that you are capable of doing the running man, and I love Travis’ uber cool moves (in his PJs no less).

That’s an intense home workout. love it. I adore HIIT and plyo moves- I just need to make sure i don’t do too much too often- my doc says that while I might feel 23, i’m not (DUH!) and my body takes longer to recover from those high intensity jumping moves (I have to limit to about 3 a week- I’m sure I do more though :-P ) Also LOVE me some groupX of many kinds, from dance to boot camp, step & boxing. I bet you are really fun to have as an instructor.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

I had to go to extremes to get T to dance…or rather, bob around with me.
You don’t look a day over 23, Deb!!

Kait December 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

I love this! I’ve had to readjust my fitness regiment due to bilateral hand/wrist injuries (which also means no lifting) and I’ve been stuck in a rut. I’m not sure my neighbors downstairs will appreciate this but I certainly do, even if I do have to get rid of the pushups and spidermans. Luckily I’ve become the queen of modifying!

Thanks!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

Nice! Glad to hear that you’re not giving up!! Baby steps…
And also, the dancing should help too! Cardio! ;)

Kait December 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I’m a zumba fanatic (without being too fanatical) so dancing is basically my life. It also sucks that I no longer can walk to work…who knew that 1 mile each day made such a difference!

PS thanks for the encouragement!

Nicole C December 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

This is an amazing post. I love your writing, it’s quite entertaining. However, let it be known that I paused some lovely Michael Buble Christmas music to check out the dance skills. I was PLEASANTLY surprised when ‘poison’ came on and you busted out those skills. To have your man join, bravo to you both!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

Me? Over Buble? WOW! I’m blushing!

Corrie Anne December 14, 2011 at 9:50 am

Dancing around is totally a rocking workout. No matter how lame your moves are! I love it!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 14, 2011 at 11:27 am

Beautiful!! SO true. Fitness does NOT take a holiday vacation around here :)

I’ve committed my ladies at the gym to adding more weight to their bars in BodyPUMP (a class I teach)

the delicate place December 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

oooh girl. havent worked out since sunday but i feel guilty now so SOMETHING will happen tonight even if it’s 20min yoga. i’m doing too much holiday partying ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Great post – even though I like the smurfs and don’t want you to eat them. :) Your tip on scheduling is a big one I advocate too – put it on the calendar and there’s a much better chance it will happen. If you’re a smartphone geek (like me), you always have that with you. My hubby and I even send our workout invitations to each other so we can coordinate our training (even if we don’t physically train together).

The circuit looks great too – I’ll have to give it a try!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I like the idea of putting it into your phone!! Must do that!

Nowel December 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm