tuesday tips.

by Janetha on November 22, 2011

in how to,random rambles

hello! thanks for making me feel better about being a failure at life. it sounds like a lot of you don’t finish things you start, either. phew. i definitely don’t feel as awful.

because it’s tuesday, and because i live for alliteration, i bring you a few tuesday tips.

tip: target has cinnamon m&m’s.

this gem of info was sent to me by the lovely emily. i immediately went to target and purchased a bag. i had big plans to make snickerdoodles with cinnamon m&m chips.

marshall had big plans to eat the whole bag.

i have big plans to go back to target tonight and get another bag.

side note.. don’t you think the fact that m&m could stand for “meals & moves” means they should send me bags of their candy for free? i do.

tip: you can make your own ground beef/chicken/turkey/pork in the food processor.

reader lindsay asked about this yesterday so i thought i would blog about it. i have been doing this for a little over a month and will never buy pre-ground meat again.

all you do is throw the meat into your food processor and turn it on for a few seconds. yes, it really is that easy. today i made my own ground beef for the crock pot taco soup we had for dinner. i always buy top sirloin beef because it is the leanest cut.  after trimming any visible fat off, i cut it into large pieces and put it in the processor.

IMG_7343IMG_7345IMG_7348

the result is fresh ground beef.

not only is it fresher to grind your own meat, it has also proven to be more affordable.  i have found that buying lean top sirloin is less expensive than buying lean ground beef. grinding at home also saves me money because i used to buy chicken breasts AND ground turkey or chicken separately when grocery shopping for the week, but now i can buy the chicken breasts in bulk and just grind the whole breasts for recipes like taco soup, stuffed peppers, shepherd’s pie, etc.

i love finding new uses for my food processor. i got it from marshall as a gift years ago, and it really is the gift that keeps on giving!

tip: if your groupon expires, you can still redeem the initial amount paid.

okay.. are you like me and you impulse-buy groupons? anyone? i know some of you do. admit it.

and then do you get super lazy and let said impulse-bought groupons expire? anyone? come on.. someone has to relate to this situation. it has happened to me more than three times.

WELL, i was reading some fine print the other day when i impulse-bought an american apparel groupon.. and guess what it said?

you can ALWAYS use the amount paid—it never expires! this nugget of information was front and center—very obvious and i couldn’t miss it.. but i never remembered seeing that information on other groupons.

so you know what i did? immediately checked my expired groupons.

specifically this one to old navy that i let fall by the wayside and NEVER used. let’s not talk about the seven peaks water park passes i bought for me and marshall but never used. let’s talk about the old navy one… i paid $10 for a $20 groupon and it expired before i made it to the store. $10 down the drain.. or so i thought.

what! how come i never noticed that before? oh, because it was the very last sentence and i never finish anything i start.. including reading fine print. i am so glad groupon changed the place they put this nugget of info so it is front and center—and led me to realize i still can use my $10 at old navy.

i realize this tip may not help any of you.. but if it helps just one of you, then my work here is done.

and, because i am forgetful and didn’t announce it yesterday, here is the winner of the under armour thermos water bottle:

image image

congrats, jena. please send me your mailing information so your bottle can get shipped.

remember, you can still enter the card giveaway!

in other news.. i am off to the hospital at 7 AM tomorrow (wednesday) for a couple things.

one: i have a lump in my boob and so that’s getting taken care of. this is actually the THIRD time i have had a lump in ol’ lefty. the lumps have always been benign, but of course it’s better to be safe than sorry.

two: i am getting a fasting lipid test that was ordered by my GI doc. i had an appointment with him yesterday and we have made some progress on my situation. i will tell you all more about that another day.

i better call it a night.. i will be lucky if i make it to the hospital on time in the morning. 7 AM is super early for me!

Q~

do you have a tuesday tip to share with the class?

Evan Thomas November 22, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I love cinnamon. And I love chocolate. But for some reason i can’t see the two coming together and it tasting like a good thing. Maybe it’s just something I’ll have to try to believe.

janetha @ meals & moves November 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Have you ever had Mexican hot chocolate cookies? It’s like that.. with a hard candy shell.

Ellie@fitforthesoul November 22, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Ohhh I’m sooo glad that the lump is benign Janetha!!! *phewww*

And I totally relate to not finishing things I start, at least when it comes to receipts, bills, coupons, and that sort of thing :P
oh!! You HAVE to try Stacy’s pita chips (gingerbread man) flavor 0_0

janetha @ meals & moves November 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Well, I don’t know if this one is.. but I will find out soon! :) I am sure it is.

Oh my gosh, I didn’t know Stacy’s made that flavor. You are right.. I HAVE to try!

Ellie@fitforthesoul November 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm

and I clearly fail at remembering what I just read :P But…I’m sure you’ll be okay! I will be keeping you in my prayers <3

Kat November 22, 2011 at 8:21 pm

It looks like somebody (me) needs to go and scour their Groupon accounts to free money…!

I wonder if there is this type of fineprint on any of the other 5 or 6 group buying sites I may or may not have (have) bought one or two deals on.

janetha @ meals & moves November 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm

hahaha I loved this comment. I hope you find money and I am glad I am not alone!

Cate November 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I really wish I didn’t know about the existence of those M & Ms… if they enter this house it will not be pretty!

Emily November 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Good luck with your hospital stuff tomorrow. Boo :( I read the above comments–that is actually my plan to make mexican hot chocolate cookies WITH the cinnamon M and Ms. Unless I eat them first. And the Stacy’s gingerbread chips are AMAZING. I love them so much. They make a chocolate flavor too, but the gingerbread is the best by far. Anyways, love you and good luck again. xoxo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Good to know about the Groupon thing. I seriously have about 5 that expire before next Feb. I just can’t pass up a “good deal”.
Sad to hear about ol’ lefty. I’ve had a lump removed before too (coincidentally in my left breast) and it was benign. Still scary though. Will be praying that everything comes back clean.

Lee November 22, 2011 at 8:34 pm

They have cinnamon M&Ms? This made my day. Well, if I had some that would make my day.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe November 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

It has never occurred to me to make ground meats in a food processor, I always just assumed you needed one of those colosal metal meat grinders. I am definitely putting that trick to use. Also, good luck tomorrow, I hope you’re well!

betty November 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm

No tip, I just like that you called your boob “ol lefty” .. oh and can you email me your address? :)

betty November 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Ps. Good.luck tomorrow!

Missy November 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Fibroadenomas? Those are common in young chicks like you ;) I feel this one will also be benign. Glad you are making progress on your GI issues too. I love the food processor tip – I have done it with chicken since no stores here sell ground chicken.
Let us know how everything goes!

glidingcalm November 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

good to know about the groupons!! I had no idea either!!

and i need to try cinnamon M n Ms! i love almost all M&Ms! :D

p.s. i just showed the Boy your ground meat tip! fabulous!!

emily November 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Good luck with lefty; I’ll think good thoughts for you!
…and now I’ve got to tell Adam that I’m going to spend tomorrow thinking about boobs!

Marie November 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I hope everything goes well tomorrow; just said a quick prayer. I laughed when you said Marshall ate the whole bag. ;) I can’t imagine what cinnamon & chocolate would taste like?

Alison November 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

How do you make sure that your food processor gets clean enough after having raw meat in it. That’s what would scare me. I do like the idea of grinding your own though.

Ellen Clifford November 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I hope everything goes smoothly for you at the hospital!
My Tuesday tip may not be valid for all cities, but in some areas of LA if you call and report a broken meter you can go ahead and park there, a two second phone call saves you from using up your change! Almost makes seeking out broken meters a good idea…

Eden November 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I saw that cinnamon M&M on your instagram! I dunno dude, I need to try it out, it sounds like it might not jive with me even though I love chocolate and cinnamon and M&Ms….I just think together it might cancel out the goodness and become yucky? Anyhow, I need to try it for myself to find out!

Tip: Don’t drink and bike! You might spill your beer.

Bonnie November 22, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Tip: refrain from painting your nails in bed. It’s hard to breathe when you’re trying to sleep (and your husband won’t love it either).

Tip: Always practice S.M.O.G: signal, mirror, over-the-shoulder, go!

Tip: Relax and enjoy a good glass of wine every now and then…and when you’re working out, enjoy it full blast and get sweaty!

…random evening thoughts. :) I know going to hospitals can be stress-inducing; praying that things turn out okay tomorrow on all fronts! Love you, J!

Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops November 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Ah, what?! Cinnamon M&Ms exist!??? How did I not know this?

lynn @ the actor's diet November 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm

cinnamon M and M’s!!!! how awesome. i still have plans to bake with some pretzel ones soon….

good luck with the hospital stuff tomorrow. thinking of ya…

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 23, 2011 at 2:22 am

Good luck at the hospital tomorrow morning! Hope all goes well.
Um.. cinnamon M and M’s. I need to find those ASAP! :)

cathy@1970kikiproject November 23, 2011 at 4:11 am

cinnamon m n m’s?? whoa! have not yet seen in canada, but have not looked so now i WILL look but i bet they are not yet here. which will be sad.
re: expired groupons – TOTALLY true! we JUST had a groupon to the store expire this week and you can totally redeem them for the value you purchased them at – thanks for sharing, j, as many people do not realize this.
so glad you are making progress and all the best today with your appts.
my tip: buy your running shoes in the aft or eve to get the proper sizing (this tip is nothing unique but the best i can think of at 6 a.m.!)

Jena November 23, 2011 at 4:23 am

WOOHOO!!! I won the water bottle! E-mailing you in a few minutes!

I thought I heard recently that the paid value never expires is a new thing. I wonder if that is with livingsocial as well? Hm, need to check on that. I have one that expires very soon and I doubt i’ll use it before it expires.

Lauren November 23, 2011 at 4:57 am

Great tips! I just found out about that Groupon one too. Good to know because I swear I buy groupons and forget about them all the time. Not such a great habit.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 23, 2011 at 6:12 am

um, i am tipless today but will be praying for you! i hope everything is OK janetha :/

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 23, 2011 at 6:31 am

Cinnamon m&m’s?! That sounds really good! I bet they would be good in cookies. :)

Best of luck with everything, Janetha! I am praying for you. I have experienced that as well. It’s definitely scary but it’s better to safe by getting things checked out.

Tamara November 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

Huggles, Janetha! I’m sure you’ll be a-okay, but I’ll be thinking of you today. I’ve had one of those removed myself, also on the left one (mine, too, was benign, thankfully). Fingers crossed that this one will be as well!

Thanks for the Groupon tip. That rocks!

Danielle November 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

Um, I never knew that about Groupons! Major news, thank you! Good luck with your procedures, best to get it all taken care of!

Anna November 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

OoooOO! Thanks for that super helpful info on the Groupon! You’re awesome! Hope that lump is nothing! =)

Katie November 23, 2011 at 7:51 am

I hope everything turns out fine at the doctors office! Thanks for all the great info today.

Love the idea about making your own ground meat. What kind of food processor do you have?

Janetha November 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm

It’s a KitchenAid 9 cup

kara November 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

CINNAMON M&M’s!?! get out of here! they sound heavenly. can i buy those online?? i wonder if they have them at the M&M store here in NYC!!

good luck at the hospital!

also, i’m gonna be completely honest.. i tried to read your blog awhile ago and never really got into it. then when so many people were praising you on GOMI, i decided to give it another shot. you’re now in my top 5! =)

Janetha November 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

well! glad you gave the old blog a second chance. going from the bottom of the barrel (okay, not even in the barrel) to top 5 is pretty flipping rad. thanks for the comment!

i dunno if you can buy them online, but i do know they aren’t in ANY store i looked at except target…

Christin@purplebirdblog November 23, 2011 at 9:40 am

Is it weird to say I’m praying for your boob? I’m sure it’s weird, but I am. :)

Christin November 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

lol!

Christin November 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

Total mind blow about the cinnamon M&M’s and the Groupons…more reasons to be thankful this Thanksgiving! :)

Good luck with everything at the hospital today…will keep you in my prayers!

Carly November 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

That’s good to know about the Groupon! I am a huge impulse buyer of them, my bf doesn’t let me buy them anymore without running it through him to see if it’s a good idea. Which is probably a good idea.

Thinking of you, good luck today!

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark November 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

Um, a lump doesnt sound pleasant so hope all goes well! Thanks for the groupon tip-I tried getting a refund once and they wouldnt do it so good to know if it expires you can get a refund on the original amount. A tip I have is about DealsGoRound.com it’s a site where you can sell your Groupons, Living Social deals, etc that you dont want or wont be able to use. You can also buy deals that you may have missed. I love this for the obvious reason and it s a great site to go to when you know you’ll be traveling. Before I got to Colorado, I bought a few for super cheap.

And cinnamon M&M’s? Um, yeah…must find!

the delicate place November 23, 2011 at 11:28 am

gah you and the hospital stuff lately! scaring me woman! fingers crossed for good news :) my tuesday tip is that you can sell your old electronics back and get a decent price on: http://www.gazelle.com/
crap just sitting around and it was fast turnaround i can vouch for it!

Maren November 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

Janetha! Hope things are going okay for you. :(

I’m thinking of you!

Natalie @Will Jog For Food November 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I had no clue you can turn in those old Groupons!! Thank You!!!

The ground meat idea is awesome too, I would have never thought of doing that.

Liz @ Southern Charm November 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm

You just made my day with that tip about the groupons!!!

Juliette November 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Damn boob lumps – hope all turns out well for you:)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy November 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

M&M’s are notoriously a bad idea for me, especially the pretzel ones. They are housed in a matter of minutes. I should have a shirt that says “I ate this whole bag of m&m’s and all I got was a stomach ache.”
And my tip is when chasing your puppy around the neighborhood for 20 minutes, have a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge. Good luck with your booby!

Lindsay@ biking before bed November 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I made snicker doodles with the cinnamon m&ms. They are super delicious!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Cinnamon M&Ms?! What the what?! That sounds phenomenal. I’ve liked every kind of M&M I’ve ever tried (except coconut, blech) so I definitely need these. They would be so good in cookies!

Paula November 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Good look with your appointments tomorrow! I had absolutely no idea you could make ground meat yourself, such a good tip! -Paula

Debdatta February 23, 2012 at 4:59 am

Chocolates & cinnamons… Together?? Dunno…