easy does it workout.

by Janetha on November 20, 2011

in love and marriage,moves

i am trying to type this post on my laptop but there is also a 52-pound basset hound on my lap. it’s awkward, but i am a sucker and can’t move him.

anyway, hi!

this morning i woke up even sicker than yesterday. lucky for me, marshall already had this sickness and he said he knows “just how it feels” and also that i am in the stage where “it will be over soon!” so at least there’s that. he took good care of me before he left for the gym this morning by loading me up with cough drops and turning on the humidifier. turns out i can sleep with a cough drop in my mouth without choking.. although i don’t suggest you try this.

now we are watching the packers game and i am sucking on another cough drop (ricola!) and trying to decide what to have for breakfast lunch (it’s noon.)

last night we went out on an impromptu date! it’s one of the luxuries of not having any human children. penny and randy can let themselves in and out through the dog door, so we just leave the light on and a full bowl of water and give them a kiss goodbye. we also tell them to “be good,” but that rarely happens.

marshall and i went to dinner at the rio grande café—a mexican restaurant on about 300 south and 450 west in downtown salt lake city. i hadn’t been there in over a decade and marshall had never been there.

the café was a lot smaller than i remembered! probably because i am a lot bigger now. marshall ordered enchiladas and i ordered chicken fajitas and we shared chips, salsa and guacamole. it was a tasty, quick and cheap meal.. only $23!

after dinner we didn’t have any plans, so marshall suggested we go to brewvies (a cinema pub) to check out the movie 50/50.

i had been wanting to see 50/50 since it first came out. it’s about a 27 year old boy who gets cancer and has a 50% chance of survival. it is one of those movies that will really make you laugh AND cry. it was so good! highly recommended.

before our date, i headed to the gym to get a light workout in. as i mentioned, i am sick.. and i am also still on exercise restriction from my doctor. i am not supposed to lift heavy on my chest, shoulders or abs and shouldn’t do intense cardio.

i put together this really simple, short workout yesterday just so i could get moving. this workout incorporated strength training and endurance cardio and lasted 50 minutes.

disclaimer: i am not a fitness professional and all workouts posted here are what i did, not what i think you should do. consult a professional before starting any workout routine.

warm up

• 3 sets of 15 “girl” pushups

circuit one (three times through)

• 20 kettlebell swings @ 35#
  • 20 stiff legged deadlifts holding 25# kettlebell (10 each leg)
  • 50 decline bench crunches

circuit two (three times through)

• 20 alternating one arm kettlebell swings @ 20#
  • 30 reps of “hot potato” with 20#  kettlebell
  • 50 oblique twists on decline bench

last strength move

• 3 sets of 15 assisted pullups (90# assistance)
    • 1 set wide overhand grip
    • 1 set narrow overhand grip
    • 1 set narrow underhand grip

stationary bike

• 20 minutes moderate intensity

the end!

today i am going to take it even easier than yesterday and not workout at all. i would rather focus on getting well so i can hit jamie eason’s 12 week training plan hard tomorrow. i am re-starting week seven.

hope your sunday is fabulous!

Betty November 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hope you feel better.. I think I’m getting something, too. And I know how you feel about the dog on the lap but not wanting to move them. It’s a little easier to get things done with my 50 lb basset vs our 125 lb goldendoodle!

Anyways hope you feel better, and of I’m ever in SLC I’ll be more than happy to watch the “kids” so they don’t get into anymore full bars or RTD shakes!

Krissie J November 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I think if I worked out regularly with you I’d cry and/or pee my pants. ;) Feel better soon!

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit November 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’m impressed that you even worked out at all despite being sick. You are a rockstar! Hope you bounce back quickly!

Rose November 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm

At least you’re sick now and not sick for Thanksgiving, right?

Eden November 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Wasn’t that movie awesome?! I took loulou to see it and he loved it. It inspired him to start shaving his own head instead of going to a barber every time.

I also hope Randy didn’t fart on you while you typed this.

Love you!!!!

katie November 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hope you feel all better soon love!

We are watching the game too, and I always think of you and Marshall when watching the Packers!

I will have to see that movie, I didn’t know it was out yet! We did like Immortals!!

xoxo <3

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Enjoy your chill day from not working out and hope you feel better!

mcintosh November 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Ohhh…I hope you feel better soon but glad you’ve got a good, healing support crew to help (:

Love Ricola…the good ol’ original ones…yum. That and Hall’s. Kind of addictive (:

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been wanting to see 50/50! Feel better :)

Erica November 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Hope you’re feeling 100% by tomorrow morning pretty lady :). Glad you all had a nice date night. Mexican is my favorite…Josh vetoed it for our date night claiming we had to go somewhere we wouldn’t normally go with Kay ;).

lynn @ the actor's diet November 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

feel better! i gotta remember to add 50/50 to my netflix queue now…

Krista (kristastes) November 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Feel better!!! 50/50 made me cry like a baby (and a bunch of dudes in the theater)…such a great flick. And hey, we are now on the same week of JE WOOT!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I haven’t been looking ahead at the workouts but I did day one of week 3 today. I seriously probably won’t be able to walk tomorrow. lol!

The Delicate Place November 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

my workout today was christmas decor shopping at target and sipping on wine while a chicken roasted for ages and made my house smell awesome! even on my best days i only work out for no more than 25min. i don’t know how you do it! AND you are sick?! a stronger woman than i for sure janeetha. i hope you feel better soon :) p.s. i love that my life is made of impromptu dates every day. children just aren’t for me!

julie November 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

omg took your advice. did the california kettlebell workout today. LOVE. it’s a kill killah for sure. get better soon so you can do it haha

lindsay November 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm

my sunday workouts are always easy does it.. Kinda feels nice. And i agree, non human children are always a luxury!
Rest up friend! I am worried about you. Do i need to make a pit stop in SLC and bring you some soup??

Courtney November 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Get well soon!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Been wanting to see 50/50 too. And do more kettlebell workouts!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Being sick stinks – I hope you’re feeling better soon!

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm

ugh, i hate being sick! here’s to hoping you feel better soon girl…sending you get-well thoughts from colorado! :)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This is an awesome workout! Props to you for doing it while sick. I hope you feel better! :)

Angela Yates November 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hope you feel better. I know how hard it is to take time off from doing what you love!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 21, 2011 at 5:55 am

I hope you start feeling better soon! It’s no fun being sick especially so close to Thanksgiving. Get lots of rest! :)

Paige @ RAN November 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

Your comment about going on impromptu dates without children made me think of my good friend Mel who has two daughters. Whenever I tell her that Shane and I just relaxed on the couch all night/made an impromptu dinner date/got drunk on the back porch/what have you, she always says “YOU BETTER ENJOY THAT!!!” lol
Then she tells me how much she loves her children, haha. Anyway, sounds like a fun date!

Kailey (SnackFace) November 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Sometimes when I’m on the couch blogging away, Peanut will scratch at the back of my computer screen, begging me to put it away. Then she realizes the laptop is warm and puts her head on the keyboard. It’s too cute to deny. I just let it happen. She’s 16 and deserves all the joys she can get!

Feel better NOW! Use a Neti pot. Cleared my cold in just a few days. RECOMMENDED. Love ya! xo

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Awwww what a fun impromptu date! Those are the best :)

Now that you talked about Mexican food, I really want some!!

Michelle November 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Haha I love that your dog sits on your lap while you type. Mine totally does that, but like you, I’m a sucker!! :)
Great circuit workout. I’ve never thought to try one-armed kettlebell swings. I think I’ll give it a try tonight!

Katie November 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I want to go on a spontaneous date! Looks like you guys had a good weekend (minus the sickness) – hope you’re feeling better today.

LauraJayne November 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Feel better. Instead of saying “I think I might be getting sick too,” I’m saying, thank heavens reading other people’s blog posts about being sick isn’t contagious. I’m positive, however, that as soon as I get a break (i.e. this weekend), I’ll get something since my body has been a pro and held up for me over the last three months!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition November 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I saw 50/50 also! So good- I was nervous about seeing it but it made me cry, laugh, and be inspired for life

Pure2raw twins November 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm

first hope you fell better!! and how amazing are you that you worked out too ;)

and second, glad that movie was good i want to see it

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 21, 2011 at 7:30 pm

feel better, love! hmm the hot potato kettlebell move? do you know what the point of that is? I have never seen it and it looks somewhat funky lol

janetha November 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

i like to think it helps me with coordination. it has become easier as i keep trying it.. and it’s great for the forearms! i saw it on jenn’s blog first, and she is a certified KB trainer so i trust her!