just some suggestions.

by Janetha on November 18, 2011

in random rambles

HI!

i am sick.

just a mild cold.

sore throat. sneezy. sniffly. you know.

i am not pointing any fingers.. but i did make out with my sick husband, and now i am sick.

just sayin’.

hmph.

my head is foggy. i can’t come up with a clever recipe or a wonderful workout to save my life.

you know what i can do? steal fellow bloggers’ ideas. and then suggest them to you.

suggestion #1: make some donuts.

on monday, i made mama pea’s vegan apple cider donuts for monday night football.

my two changes: i only used 1 T molasses and instead of dusting them with cinnamon sugar, i made a simple glaze with powdered sugar and apple cider and glazed the donuts.

they were a huge hit.

they all got eaten before i could take a photo.

that’s a lie. yes, they got eaten quickly.. but i never even considered busting out my camera. i’m lazy. and sick. remember?

anyway, the donuts took less than 20 minutes (baking time included) and couldn’t have been easier to make. you should make them.

suggestion #2: instead of going to the gym, bake two kinds of cookies.

not only am i sick, i am also still on exercise restriction from my doctor. i can work my legs, triceps, biceps and back.. but nothing else. yesterday would have been a shoulders day (i am following a 12 week training program) but that went against my doc’s orders… so i baked.

that’s logical, right?

and why stop at one kind of cookie? if there is time to kill (and there was), you should definitely make two kinds of cookies.

i started with jessica’s chewy lemon cookies.

i think lemon desserts are very underrated. give me a lemon bar over a chocolate peanut butter bar any day of the week.

these cookies are just as good as they look. crisp on the outside, chewy in the middle, very lemony with a touch of vanilla bean.

her recipe is supposed to make about 18 cookies.. but i managed to make 16. hmmm.. wonder where the cookie dough for those two missing cookies went? surely not into my mouth.. not even possible.

anyway, lemon desserts somehow seem lighter to me, so i went ahead and had one of these cookies for breakfast today. don’t question my logic, you will soon figure out that i really have none. i just love cookies.

like i said, i had time to kill.. we had dinner plans but not until 8:30 (i know, so late!) so i made a second batch of cookies.

i used another one of jessica’s recipes. she never lets me down. i had been holding out for her to post a chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe. all the pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipes out there are actually cakey. it’s like they are individual servings of pumpkin bread disguised in the shape of a cookie. but not these ones.

i had to wait to make the recipe because the key ingredient is pumpkin butter and i had none. however, when i went to san diego last week, i picked up a couple jars of pumpkin butter at trader joe’s. specifically to make these chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

you should make them, too.

i promise i do take photos of my own. i just haven’t been snapping shots while following recipes lately. i usually only take photos in the kitchen if i am creating a recipe. let’s be honest: taking step-by-step photos of a baking process involving flour is not easy. and not awesome for the cleanliness of my camera.

speaking of cameras…

suggestion #3: everyone with a DSLR needs to check out ashley’s photography 101.

when i think of amazing blogging photography, the first blogger that comes to mind is ashley. she is so talented behind the lens. well, and in the kitchen, but that’s a story for another day.

ashley has been kind enough to take the time to post REALLY GOOD photography lessons. and by really good, i mean easy to understand. she draws diagrams, explains concepts in a simple way, and uses analogies involving food. now that i can get my head around.

she has posted two so far:

i promise you will learn something new. want proof? ashley will show you how flipping one simple switch on your camera will transform your photos from meh to marvelous. see:

image image

if you are trying to understand more about photography and how to take great photos, i suggest you check these posts out right now!

i have one last suggestion for you. it involves a workout because you’re gonna need it after all those donuts and cookies.

suggestion #4: follow jenn’s workout-in-every-state series.

jenn (from girl heroes and newschool nomads) has purchased an RV and is taking the next year to visit each and every state in the continental US! and not just her.. her husband, kiddos and pets are along for the ride, too! isn’t that awesome?

jenn has her kettlebell certification, has competed in fitness competitions and is an all around fit, fabulous woman. the other day, she posted her “california workout” and announced that she would be posting a different workout from each and every state.

her california workout is great. there are ten moves because there are ten letters in california.. you know that made me happy. i am such a numbers freak. but aside from the workout being killer, the backdrop for the workout is breathtaking. she filmed it in beautiful yosemite national park. i cannot wait to see all of her workouts from every state! and then complete those same workouts in my boring living room in utah.

these are my suggestions to you. take them or leave them, but i really suggest you take them. especially the one about the lemon cookies. take that suggestion with a tall glass of milk.

Q~

what’s your suggestion?

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

HOLY smokes. I want cookies rightthisminute. THose look amazing! Thanks for posting these ideas…its like I see them on other blogs but I gotta have a second opinion sometimes. Ya know?! So thanks :)

Hope you feel better soon, Janetha!

Corey @ Learning Patience November 18, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the heads up on ashley’s blog…heading over there now! I am currently stuck inside…it’s monsooning outside and I want to run…grrrrr. So Im baking cookies instead and blogging. Thanks!

If you are looking for a OMG soup recipe that will be super comforting…you must try this one out!

xoxo from Trinidad

janetha November 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

That looks so good! And I have leftover thyme from a recipe I made earlier in the week. Thanks!

Amy Ramos November 18, 2011 at 11:36 am

My suggestion. Do not eat processed crap. You pay for it the next day with major stomach aches where you want to just curl up and die.

Hope you feel better soon!

Janetha November 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Agreed! Isn’t it crazy how once we stop eating it, our bodies get so mad if we decide to every once in awhile? I used to eat fast food every day and was fine.. then I quit, and now if I do? All hell breaks loose in my gut.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Making cookies now! :D

Lindsay @biking before bed November 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

I so agree with your comment about lemon desserts. They just seem so much “healthier” than chocolate ones. My suggestion would be to avoid movie theaters this weekend. Unless you want to be trampled by Edward loving Twilight fans:)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

Love all of these, but especially Ashley’s one…because I NEED HELP!! Bookmarking those two posts!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm

It it completely logical to bake when you don’t go to the gym. It’s logical to bake all the time! If only I had a donut pan. I could still make the cookies :) Feel better!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Off to check out workouts in every state and photography tips, because if anyone can use tips, it’s me!!! Have a great weekend, and I hope you feel better!

Jenn (GH) November 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Awww thanks Janetha!!! I’m sorry you aren’t feeling well. I cannot wait to get to visit you!! When I get to Utah maybe we can do a workout together! I’ll have to check out those photog tips too! Xoxo

Tamara November 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I can’t wait to try Jenn’s workout(s)!! I’ve got “California” flagged in my inbox for the next chance I get.

And now I can’t wait to make these donuts and lemon cookies! Thanks, Janetha! Feel better asap, chica.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm

You have me craving cookies now. I’m with you on lemony desserts. Love them! have a great weekend, friend!

Ty November 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I have never come across a chewy lemon cookie recipe before… O.O

I am so stoked and I am definitely making those!

Lemon is my absolute favorite flavor in desserts. Yummm.

Cyndie November 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Sorry your sick! My husband is sick, too, but he WON’T make out with me. I guess it’s for the best, or I’d end up sick too. But dude, I want to make out…

Made Jessica’s pumpkin cookies the other day – they are great! Currently I’m narrowing down recipes to make for thanksgiving. Seriously there’s just so much I want to make, but I don’t really have the time with work and such next week!

Kacy November 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m battling a sickness as well. It’s the pits! Feel better!
My suggestion is to get as much sleep as possible this weekend! Lame.

Katie November 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Create some more crock pot recipes! Your Taco Soup is by far my favorite winter meal

Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! November 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’m sorry you’re under the weather! Suggestion #5: cover ALL your shoes in houndstooth fabric! http://www.lovemaegan.com/search/label/my%20DIY

I hope you feel better soon!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I have been on a cookie making, donut making, and photography-camera/using extravaganza the past few weeks. I am pre-cooking and prewriting things for our trip which is coming up soon and have been baking tons…your cookies look great. I have wanted to make Sarah’s donuts, Jessica’s cookies and would love to talk photog w/ Ashley. And workout with you!

Christin November 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Definitely going to check out the photography 101…my photos suck!!

My suggestions for what to do while sick? Netflix. ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies November 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’ve been following Ashley’s photography posts and I agree they are really easy to understand and super-helpful. At least *I* think my food photos are getting better because of it! :)

Mama Pea November 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Aww, feel better, girl. My suggestion is that you take it easy this weekend!

Haley November 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Random, but I thought you would enjoy this owl video. So freaking cute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3G1PFLuTrgM

Janetha November 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Dude. I need that little baby owl for my own!!

Brittney November 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been reading your blog forever and have never commented. I thought it was time yesterday when I swore I saw you rockin’ out on Ellen, or maybe it was your twin.
Where would we be without Jessica’s cookie recipes? I made her Snicker-Chip-Doodles the other day, I highly recommend.

Janetha November 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm

HA! I wish it was me. I wonder if it was my twin… separated at birth… that I don’t know about!

Abby November 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I suggest Jess starts a delivery service, as everything she makes looks incredible. Actually, you could start a delivery service as well…

Hope you feel better!

The Delicate Place November 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

gah feel better! mmm i am a huge fan of lemon desserts. i love the sweetness + the tang. i was the kid who ate sour patch kids until their lips were blistered! i suggest lots of sleep in your future. followed by puppy cuddles + a morning cappuccino and another lemon cookie (i hear that helps get rid of sickness!)

Lauren November 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Jenn is living out my dream! Only I want to visit every state and eat something different in each one I visit. It’s on my bucket list but I love that this lady is actually living it out and with two kids. Impressive!

pure2raw twins November 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm

That is awesome about Jenn visiting every state, that is a great idea!
and sorry to hear that you are sick, hope you feel better soon. we are sending good vibes your way to help ;)
and oh yes we love lemon desserts too, we love lemon in general. we need to make those lemon cookies bc they have our name written all over them!!
HUGS

Bonnie November 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Oh man…I wish I liked lemony desserts! I don’t mind them, but when given the choice, I will choose chocolate or PB over lemon any time… Wish it wasn’t so – lemon desserts seem healthier to me. ;)

My suggestion tonight? Embrace rest this weekend. We can’t just stop working in order to take a break, we really need to learn to unplug, to settle, to be still in order to truly get rested. That’s part of my goal this weekend! I hope you feel better, J!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

feel better :)

Eden November 19, 2011 at 12:48 am

My suggestion? Dont take any of my suggestions.

Feel better. call me if you need to fart or talk…or anything. I’m lonely. Deb is gone.

Sierra November 19, 2011 at 4:00 am

Thanks for the head up about Ashley’s photography. I am going to spend some time this weekend learning how to use my camera. I always want to do it, but this is just the encouragement I needed.

Those lemon cookies look amazing. Now I feel like baking.

Jessica @ How Sweet November 19, 2011 at 5:55 am

you are the best! so glad you enjoyed the cookies… now i hope you feel better!!

Brittany November 19, 2011 at 6:37 am

Love all these suggestions! My suggestion is to take it easy this weekend and feel better. xoxo

Betty November 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

Drink a gallon of water a day and don’t eat 5 cupcakes in two days just cause its your birthday week. You’ll wake up Saturday morning looking like a puffer fish with a sugar hangover (which I’m pretty sure, may be worse than a beer hangover)

Carbzilla November 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

All great suggestions!

I have a question….what’s the best way to translate the 12 week workout to the gym. I look at the one on Bodybuilding.com (Jaime’s?) but should I read it off my phone, iPad, write it out to take with me? I really need to get back in the gym and I can go straight from work but I need to have something in front of me to follow (or hire a trainer and who needs that?). Thanks hon. Feel better.

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs November 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Awe! Sorry you’re not feeling goooood! Sometimes when I am feeling icky, just going outside into the crisp air and then taking a shower makes me feel 100 times better.