flashback friday: before the blog.

by Janetha on November 11, 2011

in body for life,deep thoughts

hey guys!

first off, happy veterans day. i hope you have all had the chance to take a moment to think about those who have served our country.

and second, happy 11-11-11. i know there were 7,329 blog posts titled 11-11-11, so i decided to spare you reading one more. however, i am palindrome obsessed.. so i had to mention that the day has made me happy each time i write it.

here are some palindromes i absolutely love:

• go hang a salami, i’m a lasagna hog
  • yo, banana boy!
  • murder for a jar of red rum

i asked my facebook friends what palindromes they love.. here were their answers:

• dr. awkard (jessica)
  • doc, note: i dissent. a fast never prevents a fatness. i diet on cod. (tiff)
  • rats live on no evil star (ayah)
  • too hot to hoot! (betty)<—my new favorite palindrome!!!

palindromes are extremely fun.

good talk.

i did way too much food blogging yesterday, so there will be zero meals showcased today. that’s the way the ball bounces, folks.

plus.. it’s FLASHBACK FRIDAY!

so, before i was a blogger, i was a body for lifer. i actively participated in the body for life tracker forums. i was even on a team! i found this post that i published on one of the message boards almost exactly three years ago today! it was on my LAST DAY of my by-the-book 12 week body for life challenge.

it was directed towards people who were doing body for life but not seeing instant results or the results they expected. while i was writing specifically about body for life, i think that my words apply to any healthy living plan someone may be following.

it was interesting to read my words again—my opinions are the same, even three years later, and looks like i liked to ramble even before meals & moves existed! here’s the post:

Title: to those of you frustrated because you aren’t seeing the results you expected from BFL

i have seen a lot of discouraged posts about not seeing magical transformations and wanting to throw BFL out the window…

think of it this way. sure, you may not be losing the pounds like crazy, you may not see drastic changes like some people do…

BUT:

1. you are healthier
  2. you probably FEEL better
  3. most IMPORTANTLY.. you aren’t getting BIGGER.

what if you hadn’t started BFL? where would you be now? chances are, you would be slowly and steadily GAINING fat instead of slowly and steadily losing it. you do not get overweight overnight, but if you do not do something about it you will wake up one day and realize you are not your ideal size.

you can eat like garbage and not exercise for awhile, but eventually your metabolism catches up to you and you finally take a look in the mirror and realize that you can’t keep living the lifestyle you have been, there has to be a change.

that is what happened to me. i woke up and was like “crap, i am 20 lbs overweight!” so, i started BFL. i didn’t see immediate changes. and i didn’t follow it perfectly. but the fact of the matter is, i wasn’t getting any worse than where i was. that is the most important realization i came to. although i wasn’t following BFL perfectly and i wasn’t seeing maximum results, i was not gaining weight.

eventually i decided to do a strict 12 week challenge, and i had made changes along the way before hand and trained my brain to make the right choices. by the time i did my challenge i knew it was the right thing and it was easy for me to follow the BFL plan, because i knew it was good for me.. and i ended up seeing results i never thought possible. my challenge ends today and i have done a lot of pondering and so i wanted to post this.

so for those of you who are stuck at a certain point or are not losing as fast as you expected.. try to think of where you would be today had you not woken up one day and decided to make a change and do BFL.

don’t get frustrated and throw your hands in the air and say “this isn’t working, i give up!”…. because body for life is about making changes to your life so you can make healthy advances with both exercise and eating PERMANENTLY.

if you think “i’m not losing anything, i might as well go back to eating whatever i want and not exercising because i am the exact same as i was”.. then take a step back and realize this statement makes no sense. if you keep doing what you have always done, you will just slowly and gradually get further from what you want to be.

i know this is rambling, but i think it is a point of view that is important for all to see. you may not be quickly progressing with weight loss, but you are also not taking a step back from your goals. little or no change is better than negative change. and if you keep up with the clean eating and the exercising, you WILL see changes. there is no doubt about it, if you follow a proper eating and exercise program long enough, you can’t NOT change for the better.

those of you who are feeling discouraged or frustrated, hang in there.. you are doing the right thing and changes will follow regardless of how long it takes! don’t give up!

thanks for reading

************************************************

here is a link to the original post with the responses on the message board: click.

here are my progress photos from the challenge—before the challenge, at day one, at 6 weeks, at 9 weeks and at 12 weeks. the progress was slow—but steady—because i didn’t quit.

there were times i wanted to quit. i wanted to throw in the towel and go back to eating fast food every day. but in the end, i was so proud of myself and so glad i didn’t give up.

now days, i still focus on eating healthy and exercising regularly. sure, i am way less strict than i was on body for life. i take more days off from working out and i definitely eat out more and eat more desserts.  however, most of the time, i prepare three healthy meals a day and work out six days a week. on top of the 40+ hours i work each week at my job, maintaining these healthy eating and exercise habits does not always come easy. it may not always be easy to do, but it is worth it. and it’s also keeping me from winding up where i started, before i headed down the healthy path. i know how i felt when i was at that stage in my life and i don’t want to go back there.

moral of the story?

i hope that if you are currently struggling with your goals and feel like throwing in the towel, you will consider my thoughts above. you may slip up a few times. you may slip up several times. but don’t let those slip ups make you GIVE UP. getting off track here and there isn’t a reason to totally abort the mission and give up on yourself and your goals.

hang in there, and i will, too.

1. are there any mantras you use when you get discouraged? please share them with the class!

2. what is one of your current goals in life?

Sara November 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm

What would you recommend. I’m a new person to the game and only walk.
For weights: Jamie Easons 12-week program? new rules of weight lifting for women? or Body for life (and what BFL book specifically?).

And cardio for a slug like me? C25K ? Anything else? I’m unfamiliar with things but want to change for sanity.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Always so inspiring! That’s why I love you.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Excellent post! I can understand the roundabout logic of “changes aren’t really happening so why bother?” but it’s so true that keeping down such a path will keep the negatives coming. Basically, you rock. But of course. :)

Meagan November 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Are there any posts in the bfl forums about constipation? I have never done bfl but I did read the book and I read your blog regularly and I really feel like it’s the high amounts of animal protein that are causing you so much constipation. I just wondered if anyone in the forums had experienced the same thing.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

YOu are fabulous ADN such a ninspiration. My mantra is “A journey of 10.000 miles begins with a single step”. I love than and have to remind myself that every step forward makes a difference. :)

TC November 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Look at that six pack girl!

Love this post. One of my new mantra’s is that working out is a privilege. I get to go outside and move my body and not everyone has that opportunity.

Janetha November 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

That is a wonderful way to think!

Kristin November 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

What was your tipping point? What made you start following the program to a T? I’m trying Jamie Eason’s program right now and nutrition has been very difficult for me. I’ve been food prepping and eating very healthy- but all the restrictions are not something that I could continue after the program is over. I really want amazing results but I don’t know how to reach the level of motivation where I am willing to give up anything. Any tips?

Janetha November 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

I don’t think I had a “tipping point” as far as doing it by the book. I had a tipping point of wanting to get in shape, back in May of 2007 after healing from my broken arm.. but then I tried BFL and a few other programs before going into BFL full speed ahead. I thought it sounded fun and like a good challenge, so I asked my mom if she wanted to do it with me and she said sure, so we did it. Had no idea how it would change my whole entire life, inside and out!

Kristin November 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm

and by anything i mean everything that isn’t on the recommended list.

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie November 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

GREAT Flashback Friday! I love to hear about your experience with BFL, it is so inspiring! One of my favorite quotes that I have found since I started my weight loss journey is this:
“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that’s when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.”
-John C. Maxwell
I have found this to be true more than once. I haven’t waited for the motivation to hit me, I just did it and then the motivation seems to appear out of nowhere. Motivation has its peaks and valleys, you just have to work through it. Loved this post!

Janetha November 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

I LOVE THAT QUOTE!

Krissie J November 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Your progress photos are amazing and this post was just what I needed to read. I’m not quite where I was when I got on a huge workout kick years ago, but I’m slowly trying to get back there. :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm

You are such an inspiration Janetha! :) One of my current goals in life is to get back to running. My injury has been killing me and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get better!

Betty November 12, 2011 at 5:19 am

Love this. I havent lost any weight the last 2 weeks, but I know it’s cause I’ve been stressing and not going to the gym like I should, but you’re right.. I’m NOT gaining, which is always better than if I weren’t doing this. The good thing is, I haven’t gotten completely discouraged, yes I get frustrated, but this is the first time I’ve looked at a “diet” as a lifestyle change, not a “diet”. I hate calling bfl a diet. I love my new eating habits and my new food choices! It’s better than greasy fast food and high aodium chain restaurants.

I also have you to than, because without you, I’d prob still be 27 ls heavier (or maybe even more) wondering why I fell
Off the low carb wagon again..

Hope you have a good weekend!

Pure2raw twins November 12, 2011 at 8:00 am

girl, you are so inspiring!! sticking to goals for me can me hard, as my goals seem to always been changing with my life. but i am staying positive and do see things getting better

xoxo
have a wonderful weekend

Hot Coco November 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love this post something fierce! Thank you, miss Janetha! :-)

My mantra, whatever the results on the scale may be from week to week, is, “I am strong. I am healthy. I am losing weight.” I recite it over and over at times while I’m exercising (not out loud; in my head).

My goal is to be healthy and happy. I believe the two walk hand-in-hand, because how our body feels affects our emotional well-being.

Heather November 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I totally get discouraged sometimes! I think, “why am I eating healthy, it doesn’t seem to make a difference” and I get down on myself. Sometimes, I pick apart my body….or compare myself to others.

You are totally right, healthy choices add up and I may not be perfect but I am doing the best I can, in a healthy balanced way. Now time to work on my thoughts!

cookie November 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Palindromes are great! Now I also know some english ones, I only knew german ones so far.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Eek, I don’t even know what a palindrome is!! Must google.

Q: How long were you BFLing between the “before” photo and the Day 1 photo b/c that is the hugest change! (do you recall the weight difference between those two dates?)

I know that this post will inspire someone who’s down on themselves right now and that is very cool that you wrote it.

My goal right now is to continue to find my happy balance with my food plan and exercise. Fine tuning and listening to my body. I don’t have a certain goal weight, but as per usual, it’s just enough out of reach to be mildly annoying :-)

Love you and hope you’re having a great weekend!

stephanie November 13, 2011 at 4:18 am

This is so interesting. It’s always so encouraging to read someone’s success story.

Re palindromes, go on YouTube and search for ”Weird Al Bob”. Enjoy. Try not to die laughing.

Christina November 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

I needed to hear every single word you just said.

Katie November 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Very Inspiring! I have looked into BFL because I love your posts and your results!

Have you ever done a post on your meals when you were really serious about BFL? I know you are doing some of it now, but what about when you were taking the diet/exercise very seriously? Is there a post about that somewhere?

Kait November 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

“you may slip up a few times. you may slip up several times. but don’t let those slip ups make you GIVE UP. getting off track here and there isn’t a reason to totally abort the mission and give up on yourself and your goals.”

WOW I love this post. Thank you so much for sharing. I think this quote speaks to me more than anything because its is applicable to just about ANY goal in life. Most likely we WILL slip up but its good to remember to not through the baby out with the bathwater. I also think a lot of it comes down to priorities too…when you make healthy eating a priority, its easier to not slip up (although slip-ups still happen and I’d call BS on anyone who claims they are perfect). :)