not so sunny san diego.

by Janetha on November 5, 2011

in eating out,family time,travel

hey guys!

well, we made it to san diego. we thought we were escaping the cold utah weather, but it turns out that it was warmer at home than it is here.

we had a slightly bumpy flight—nothing too bad—and since we were flying delta there were free biscoff cookies and coffee. pair that with a fabulous seatmate (unlike the last time i flew) and i can’t complain.

imageimage

it was rainy when we landed. i decided that it was pretty cool how we were flying above the rain and then as our flight descended, the rain appeared. marshall wasn’t so impressed and just said, “it happens all the time.” okay, maybe it does, but it’s still cool to think about… right? am i a weirdo?

probably.

we headed out to eat straight from the airport. due to the weather and the traffic, it took quite awhile to get to the restaurant. IMG_6536

we went to brigantine seafood del mar and sat in the beautiful scenic dining room.  we wanted to sit in the bar area because there is an a la carte menu available to order from, but there was no room for us. we had a party of nearly twenty, so they seated us in the dining area and allowed anyone who wanted to order from the bar menu.  it was really great of them to cater to our requests and accommodate us on short notice.

IMG_6538IMG_6552

the dining room had floor-to-ceiling windows with a great view.

IMG_6547IMG_6540

we started with red tortilla chips & jalapeno cheese dip—creamy & delicious.

the waiter also brought out complimentary (and warm!) sourdough and brown bread with whipped butter.

marshall ordered a unique version of nachos—house made potato chips with grilled chicken, fontina and blue cheeses, crispy bacon, green onions, and sour cream.  they may not have looked pretty, but man they were tasty. granted, you really can’t go wrong with chips and cheese, but the potato chips and blue cheese combo was different and delicious.

our meals were out in a FLASH. seriously, it was such speedy service. i was incredibly impressed.

i ordered the signature dish that came highly recommended by the waiter.

it was a grilled swordfish steak served with a pad of cilantro avocado lime butter (AMAZING), seasonal steamed vegetables and a side of rice pilaf.

the dish was fantastic. even my fish-hating niece, kaylee, gave it a try and liked it. swordfish has such a meaty texture that i really enjoy.

after everyone finished their meals, there was a little room for dessert. lucy had a birthday last week, so the staff brought out a GIANT hunk of mud pie with a candle and sang to her. she was thrilled.

IMG_6566  IMG_6567IMG_6568

she isn’t really into coffee ice cream, so the adults stole her mud pie and she went with a klondike bar. clearly, she was equally as excited about the situation.

that’s my sister, marisa.. lucy’s momma.

it was so great to finally see my nieces! they are growing up way too fast.

lucy just turned 8, sofi is 5 and kaylee is 10.

i devoured a nice chunk of this mud pie. coffee ice cream, cookie crumble, hot fudge, whipped cream and chopped nuts… how could i resist?

i am really glad my sister suggested brigantine for dinner. the staff was unbelievably friendly and accommodating, the food service was very fast and everything was really delicious.   thanks, brigantine!

we left the restaurant, hoods up to stay dry from the rain, and headed to my sister’s house to hang out. it’s my first time visiting them since they moved to san diego (they moved from the bay area) and i am in LOVE with their house! i think i might have to move in. as an added bonus, they live next door to their landlord who owns a couple of the sweetest pups in town. we went over to meet them and i immediately fell in love (don’t tell penny and randy!) i will have to snag a photo for you guys tomorrow.

now we are just hanging out getting ready for the big day tomorrow. in case you are just joining us, i am in san diego for a baptism.  lucy just turned 8 and that’s when you are baptized in the mormon religion.  the baptism is tomorrow and then marshall & i are going to the packers/chargers game on sunday.

right now my mom is ironing clothes…

marisa is busy trying to figure out how to make tres leches cake (with a little trial and error on the egg whites…)

the boys are watching TV…

and i am blogging!

while i am sad to be missing the foodbuzz festival right now, it really is fabulous to just spend time hanging out in my PJs and laughing with my family. they are my favorite people on the planet. my belly hurts from making fun of momma b. all in good fun, of course.

hope you all have a great weekend!

Elaine November 5, 2011 at 2:18 am

those nachos and the swordfish look delicious! i love the idea of having half sourdogh/half another bread – awesome idea.

hope the rest of your weekend is amazing :)

Vanessa November 5, 2011 at 2:50 am

Janetha! I am one of your San Diego readers and am so exited to have you in my home town! Please email me if you need any suggestions on places to go/see but I’m sure you have it all hooked up with your sister! Thank you for your wonderful blog and sorry we couldn’t have ordered better weather for you!! Haha

Janetha November 5, 2011 at 2:54 am

You’re so sweet! Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately we don’t have a ton of time to sight see or eat out because of the baptism, but I will be back here lots and lots–maybe we could meet up next time I am here?! We are going to La Jolla tomorrow and eating brunch at the Cottage–hope it’s as good as I have heard! Have a great weekend :)

Vanessa November 5, 2011 at 3:29 am

It would be like meeting a famous person! You are so immortalized by your blog :) funny story I saw someone today with a very cute owl necklace and immediately thought of you. Internet friends = real friends. My friend works at the cottage – not on the weekends thought! Wish I would have known and I would have tried to get you hooked up!!! Xo

janetha November 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Internet friends ARE real friends! Haha–so not famous.. but I would LOVE to meet up next time I am there.

Lauren November 5, 2011 at 6:07 am

Sounds like this family weekend is much more exciting actually. :) Hope you have a wonderful time. <3

cathy@1970kikiproject November 5, 2011 at 6:19 am

i am with you: i think it is very neat to fly above the rain!! i also love flying through clouds!
glad you had such fun with the family. i think your weekend sounds awesome – i’d be very excited for the nfl game!!
enjoy your niece’s special baptism day today. she will always remember that you and marshall were there…foodbuzz will be there next year!

Susan November 5, 2011 at 6:59 am

1) I am with you and think flying above the rain is really cool. Have you ever seen a rainbow from above the clouds? It’s a CIRCLE! No joke. I dare Marshall to act unimpressed at a circular rainbow ;)

2) There is a place in my city that sells potato chip nachos and I’ve been dyyying to go. No one seems to think they sound as appetizing as I do though. Boo.

3) I really want to make a tres leches cake now.

4) Love you!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 5, 2011 at 7:36 am

Yes, it’s cold and awful here! Worse weather we’ve had in about 6 mos. Seriously. The pits! I could see my breath when I was running today. Brrrrr!

The brigantine is great! Great service and yes, when it’s nice out, even better…but glad you guys had a great meal and time.

Stay warm and have fun w/ your family!!

lindsay November 5, 2011 at 7:41 am

i love flying above rain, storms….thats a whole new story. haha.
Enjoy the time with your family. It’s nice to just chill, be comfy, and not have a jammed packed weekend. Oh and its nice to have mom take care of you, i hate ironing. hehe. Hugs to your family!

Erica November 5, 2011 at 7:52 am

Glad you had such a great meal! Your neices are seriously adorable! Have fun

Trisha November 5, 2011 at 7:58 am

My family often has bad weather follow them wherever we go on vacation. Seriously. Hope the sun starts shining for you!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 5, 2011 at 8:32 am

Aww sounds like a great time! Have funn :)

Nia November 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

I gotta say Janetta, you are looking good in those pictures, you look so toned and lean! I guess stomach trouble are over!

janetha November 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh how I wish that were true! Thank you for the compliment though! My stomach troubles are still very much present.. but they just weren’t happening in those photos above. Some days are good and others are bad–gotta roll with the punches :) xoxo

Kerryne November 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

Sooooo……………… there is SNOW here! Just thought I’d let you know! Full on SNOW. I am crying. I know that makes you happy though! Have a great weekend in San Diego. ;)

sarah (sarah learns) November 5, 2011 at 9:04 am

those nachos look like something brad would order and then i’d eat half of! :)

i’m loving your packers shirt, too, by the way! i bet marshall loves when you wear it!

jessiker November 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

oh my gosh! I didn’t even recognize Lucy, she looks so grown-up!
How much do your nieces look like you? Cute.
I LOVE YOUR SHIRT. You look absolutely adorable in that color. That’s a good look for you.
Glad you had a better flying experience. I always think that’s really weird to be above the clouds, then below it all the sudden. But being 40,000ft in the air freaks me right out every time.

Miss you! xoxo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’d share you excitement for the rain thing. I still think it’s cool that it can be morning in one place and night in another. I’m weird.

The Delicate Place November 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

how much does marshall love when you wear that shirt lol? glad you are getting to spend time with the fam. i am oogling all the amazing things i’m seeing at foodbuzz from afar nursing my hangover this morning from 2 glasses of pinot noir. um. clearly i need to build up my tolerance? happy guy fawkes day! hmm what else? oh! swordfish, when done properly it tastes amazing! i have eaten a really gross piece before and got food poisoning blerg. it took me a while to warm back up to it but i’m glad i did! yours looks amazing!

Andrea@WellnessNotes November 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Have a fabulous time with your family!!! But we do miss you at FoodBuzz!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Are you sure about that? The weather changed overnight! I woke up to a winter wonderland outside. ;) I’m not thrilled about it, but I know how much you love snow. Hopefully it’ll still be here when you come home!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

[random] but you look so pretty in that last picture!

janetha November 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thank you! You’re so sweet.

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] November 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

we wish you were here too!!!!

Emily November 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

The last time I went to Cali it was much colder than it was in Michigan, but beautiful nonetheless. Your meals look incredible! I’ll have to recreate that avocado butter. Have a great time with your family!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 5, 2011 at 11:19 am

its amazing how infusing butter with simple spices can transform it! wow that sounds so so so good!! i love the pics of the family too :) i hope you are having a great time, Janetha!! xox

elise November 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

hahahhaa…who got you that shirt!!!!! love it :)

janetha November 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

I got it! I have to represent, right? The best part is it says Packers fans are great kissers ;)

Ellen Clifford November 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Maybe I don’t fly often enough, but I also find it pretty awesome that no matter how gloomy and treacherous a day it is, once you get above the clouds it is a gorgeous day. You are not alone.
Sorry the Cali weather is so cruddy, I always feel slightly guilty when I have visitors here in LA expecting a nice change and the weather decides to actually get chilly…

Kristie November 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You seriously SERIOUSLY have the cutest family ever. You guys ALL look so much alike. I adore it. I so hear you on the family time, there’s nothing like bumming around and laughing with the fam jam. So much love. Glad to hear you’re having an awesome time in San Diego!

mcintosh November 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love your family (: You and your sister look so much alike. Dinner looked fabulous…Yum!

Just hope the weather improves for the big day.

Krissie J November 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Your nieces are all so cute! Enjoy the weekend with your fam! I’ve never been to San Diego but I plan to go sometime soon as both my brothers live out there.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Hope the baptism went well today! We did a few extra squats for you this morning at boot camp! he he! Have fun at the game tomorrow!

ANd BTW- isn’t Brigantine bread THE BEST???? :)

sarah November 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Enjoy the family time and down time! :)

sarah November 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm

And after creeping through some of your comments.. you’re going to la jolla tomorrow?! so so cool. That’s been my dream place to live for the past, oh five years or so. Kashi headquarters are located there! :)

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) November 6, 2011 at 1:32 am

You were in Del Mar??? I live about 5 minutes away.

Have an amazing time – the Cottage is great! IF you guys have time, go to Rimel’s in Del Mar or Cardiff….FAVE restaurant!

Kimberly November 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

Girl, where did you get that Packers shirt? I have been looking for a cute new one and I love yours!! :)

San Diego is a really neat place, it is too bad you do not have more time to scope it out and enjoy the scenery.

Sara @ Sara Says... Bake. November 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I went to San Diego in 2009 to visit my friend who was going to college out there. Man, that was a long flight! (From New York to California!) But I went to La Jolla too, it was so so so pretty! We couldn’t stop taking pictures of everything. I remember seeing all the seals soaking up the sun. Hope you’re having fun!

J.Lynn November 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Your nieces are so cute! I hope you enjoy your time here in San Diego, even though it is a bit gloomy :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 7, 2011 at 12:21 am

Momma B is a winner- I’d keep her around if I was you :-)

I love looking down at clouds from airplanes- it feel surreal.

Tiffany November 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I flew on Delta for the first time last month and want to become a frequent flier with them so I can get Biscoff all the time! I guess I could buy it on my own but it doesn’t taste the same unless you pay $200+ right?

I adore the vintage look of your shirt (even though I’m a Bears fan)-is it actually vintage or did you get it new and thats just the look?