flashback friday: pumpkin carving.

by Janetha on October 28, 2011

in product review

well, i got about half of the house cleaned last night. i didn’t even attempt to make a dent in the heaping piles of clean laundry, though. i loathe folding laundry.. as you probably already know if you’ve read this blog for more than a month. i bitch about it constantly. everyone has their one thing they hate to do—that’s mine.

i took a time out from my cleaning to whip up a quick dinner with this new-to-me tofu*.

nasoya sent me their organic sprouted super firm tofu. i was impressed with the stats—120 calories, 12 grams of protein, and 3 grams of carbs per serving. that’s a great protein-to-carb ratio for tofu.

the only downfall to this tofu is the shape—it was longer than a typical tofu block and was too large to fit into my tofu press so i had to break it in two and that made for a janky pressing situation. it wasn’t too big of a deal, though, because the tofu was already really firm.  i diced it into bite-size pieces and marinated it in soy sauce and stir fry sauce.

to make the stir fry, i heated a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil over high heat in my wok.

i tossed in 4 stalks of chopped celery, half a bag of broccoli slaw and the tofu. i also added a couple tablespoons of hoisin sauce.

IMG_6247IMG_6241

after about five minutes, i threw in a can of sliced water chestnuts and sliced bamboo shoots—both 8 oz.

i splashed the stir fry with more soy sauce and stir fry sauce, then kept stirring and frying for about 8 more minutes.

at the very end, i scrambled an egg in a cast iron skillet. this was marshall’s idea, and a great one at that. i love egg in stir fries.

i tossed the egg into a portion of the stir fry just before serving.

tasty, healthy and protein packed. thanks, nasoya.

**********************************************************

flashback friday!

we didn’t carve pumpkins this year. life has been busy and my kitchen is already dirty enough without pumpkin guts. i guess i could have kept it clean and made one of these guys…

i do miss the tradition, though. so, for a little halloween spirit, here is a flashback to pumpkin carvings of years passed…

2006.

PCFHE 012

PCFHE 001PCFHE 022

PCFHE 014

2007.

image image image

2008.

IMG_8161  IMG_8179 IMG_8181

puppy penny in a P!

IMG_8203 IMG_8211

haha. that last one is my favorite. she was so little!

i’m excited for halloween weekend! i am staying in tonight because i have an early morning tomorrow. i am leading a fitness discussion and bodyweight exercise routine at 7:30 AM. eesh! i am really excited, though.. it should be a good time and i am going to try to film it so you guys can watch the presentation.

saturday night is kristen & rory’s big first annual halloween bash! marshall & i both have our costumes—not a couples costume, mind you. i LOVE couples costumes but marshall is a hater. i guess you can’t win them all. i am so excited to dress up!

i probably won’t be back to blogging until sunday because things are going to be pretty jam packed. in addition to tomorrow’s presentation and halloween party, we are shopping for a desk and surround sound after work today.  marshall got me a desk for my birthday (back in june) and i have yet to pick anything out. i got him surround sound for his birthday this month… so we are going to both redeem our gifts this weekend. gift giving is a little bit different when you share a bank account. we still gave each other small, thoughtful gifts.. but as far as larger gifts, you kinda have to clear that sort of purchase with the other person so you don’t end up in the negative.

1. do you like tofu?

2. did you carve a pumpkin this year? if so, what did you carve into it?

*here’s my FTC disclaimer.

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. October 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

You just may be my dinner motivation tonight! I have some salmon leftovers and I think going the stir fry route sounds great – genius!!! ;) Have a great weekend!

Emmah October 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I LOOOOOVE Marshall’s Shirt!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ummm…did Momma B approve that penis pumpkin??

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Penis pumpkin- hilarious! :)
Just bought a bunch of tofu, but don’t usually eat it. I just found out that you’re supposed to press it first. Who knew? Is the tofu press worth it? :)
Loving all the flaskback pics!

Bonnie October 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Okay – I had to actually go back and find the penis pumpkin – I looked at the photo but why did I not see a penis when I saw the photo? Now your friend’s open-mouth position makes more sense. ;)

As far as tofu goes, I like it! I didn’t used to, but like many things my tastes have opened up and I try anything and like almost everything now.

And pumpkin carving? We did it last night! I LOVE it…although it’s more fun when you’re with people, not just the two of you (in my opinion)…it’s easier to make a mess and take your time with friends. But we had good music on, candles around us, pumpkin beers, and went at it. Photos to come on my blog. ;)

Have a HAPPY, HAUNTED HALLOWEEN! Muahaha! (fun weekend ahead for you guys!)

lynn @ the actor's diet October 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

pumpkin penny is beyond words

Denise October 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

No, I do not like Tofu, as a matter of fact I think it is disgusting.

Pumpkin carving is a total mess but fun.

Meg October 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Aw, penny is so cute!

I didn’t carve a pumpkin this year– I suppose it’s not too late! I’ve been pretty busy and yes, the house has been messy enough. I did make some fantastic pumpkin soup a la yes i want cake. :)

Maren October 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm

sweet shirt Marshall!! Aww and Penny is so cute too. But I noticed the shirt first ;). Hope you guys have an awesome time at the halloween bash tomorrow! I carved a wheat pumpkin this year, but you probably saw it on instagram :). Happy weekend!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm

the tofu looks great and I love it when tofu is already extra firm. I can tell that one is. Some say they are ‘extra firm’ but they really arent when you get right down to it.

Janky pressing situation. Totally laughed b/c i have the same thing happen when I buy TJ’s tofu..some of theirs is too big to fit all in one slab in the press. The things we notice :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm

The last pumpkin picture is definitely my favorite as well. Tomorrow night one of my friends and I are actually getting together to carve pumpkins! I can’t wait–if only someone else was there to gut it for me! lol. I hate that part!

sarah (sarah learns) October 28, 2011 at 9:52 pm

ahh, the penny picture makes my heart melt! so adorable!

have a good weekend! :)

elise October 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

ahhhh, penny is so little!!!!

BroccoliHut October 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

That picture of Penny is TOO CUTE!!! I love it!!!
Anyone who reads my blog probably knows that I like, okay, LOVE tofu. It’s nature’s most perfect food.
We didn’t carve our pumpkins–Seth likes to draw on them instead since he’s such an ar-teest. He drew a vampire version of me on one and then “Happy Halloween from the B-Hut” on the other. :)

Elaine October 29, 2011 at 12:05 am

i LOVE eggs. my family (we’re chinese) puts egg in any and everything. i’m a self-declared “egg slut” and i have them to thank for this :-)

i’ve got some nasoya extra firm in the fridge right now and stir fry is on my weekend dinner list too. i’ll have to look for the sprouted kind to try next time!

Sasha October 29, 2011 at 12:28 am

I love to cook, but for some reason tofu scares me!
However, this recipe looks great and except the tofu…usually everything I keep in the fridge. Cant wait to try it!! Thank you

No pumpkin this year..no time!

Jessica Corbin October 29, 2011 at 12:45 am

We carved two so far, we have two more to go! One is a witch and another is a bat. I want a cat in mine and not sure in the other! I have never cooked tofu, but I do want to!!!

Jennyb October 29, 2011 at 2:37 am

The one of Penny is just too cute! I started planning a more complicated pattern but had to abort & go to plan B I’ll tweet you the photo i look last night!

Kristina @ spabettie October 29, 2011 at 4:17 am

no carving this year (we are out of town on vacation SHHH….) ;)

I LOVE that photo of Penny in the P. with Marshall holding… SO dang cute. oh my.

yes I love tofu. and this stir fry looks PERFECT. in every way. even the egg. I always loved egg in my stir fry…

cathy@1970kikiproject October 29, 2011 at 6:00 am

have fun at the party!!
for you, folding laundry is a big chore – for me, it’s dusting. can’t stand doing that!
no pumpkin carving here. fun flash-back pics! i have fond memories of our childhood jack-o-lanterns.
good luck choosing your desk!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 29, 2011 at 8:28 am

Haahah great pumpkin pics! I love the owl ones! So cute :)

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] October 29, 2011 at 8:58 am

puppy penny is the freaking cutest.

and i love tofu.

The Delicate Place October 29, 2011 at 10:18 am

ahahaha penis pumpkin! love penny in the P! she’s so cute…she’s my fave sorry randy! tofu? meh i could take it or leave it but i’ll always choose meat over it if those are my 2 options. not carving anything but going out for a swanky meal at a fancy place we’ve never been to in the city tonight. um…snow on the ground here?!!! i thought of you! i’m not ready for winter yet!!

Shannonrenee October 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Umm you put a puppy named Penny in a P pumpkin. Sooooo cute & sooooo cool!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

1. the photo of Penny in the pumpkin is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!!!! I’m melting

2. LOL at the penis pumpkin. You dirty people. ;)
We’re carving ours tomorrow… I still haven’t come up with a design. Ah, the pressure…

3. Nasoya sent me a bunch of coupons for free tofu- I’ll have to take your recommendation and get the sprouted one!

Lara October 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Penny in a “P” Pumpkin…Pretty Precious! ;)

Kerryne October 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I honestly don’t know what to do with tofu. I bought some… tried to cook it once and it was so awful that I threw it away. I have used it in pie once before, that was good. I need to learn how to make it myself good. I like the tofu in the whole foods salad bar though.

We haven’t even had time to carve pumpkins this year. Its okay though. I hate the mess. My kids have already been trick or treating THREE times and the big day isn’t even here yet. I remember when Halloween was ONE day. Now it is a week.

Kat October 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I haven’t carved a pumpkin yet either due to a messy homebrew project, but I’m doing to try my dangdest to do it tonight because I’m in a new neighbourhood and want to put our house on the map as an epic Trick or Treat destination :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Yah, I squealed with Penny.

I thought that you’re not supposed to heat sesame oil? That you’re just supposed to use it in dressings? Someone told me that years ago-= I’ll google it. That reminds me I have a box of tofu that expired today (which in my world means I’ll eat it in the next month)

Love you- hope you had fun- can’t wait to hear about everything!

Meg October 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I have been loving tofu lately :) I did a little post on smoked tofu that I have found at the market and fell in love with :) kind of tastes like a smoked cheese, but I reeeeally want to try this now :D Great stats like you said! That meal looks delicious hun xo

Beth October 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I just made my second tofu recipe and am looking for other ones. Thanks for this one!

Christina October 31, 2011 at 11:45 am

OMG penis pumpkin! Best carving ever!!

Christin@purplebirdblog October 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm

LMFAO at the penis pumpkin *gigglesnort*

Amy October 31, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I die. Puppy Penny was to teeny and adorable.

Kelsey November 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm

OMG miss Penny!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 4, 2011 at 11:17 am

Aww, Marshall’s hair was SO short! I love the pic of Penny in the pumpkin! Such a cute little pup!

I actually really like tofu! Which is so funny because a year ago I would’ve looked at you like you were nuts if you asked me to try it. I’ve never thought about adding egg to a stir fry…makes perfect sense though with the whole fried rice concept! I’ll have to try that!

Oh, and it’s good to know that Eden approves of your sesame oil! ;) Haha!