an end + a beginning.

by Janetha on October 23, 2011

in fun with friends

yesterday was the end of the downtown farmers market.

well, the end for 2011, at least. i was actually pretty surprised that it wasn’t more bumpin’, considering it was the last saturday and all.

IMG_6061 IMG_6022 IMG_6045 IMG_6047

there were not as many vendors and there weren’t as many people shopping, either.

there was, however, a marching accordion band.

and a dog dressed up like a dinosaur.

and a clown.

we stocked up on a big bag of honeycrisp apples, a huge box of pears and our favorite dried cherries. we also snagged a bunch of veggies for tonight’s dinner with the fam.

IMG_6033  IMG_6035

we will definitely miss the market!

***************************************************************

yesterday was the beginning of a wonderful marriage between our friends anna and brian.

their wedding was held at sundance ski resort and it was by far the fanciest wedding i have ever attended.

i even put heels on for the occasion! that never happens. in fact, it happens so rarely that i had a few people comment about how strange it was to see me in heels. it’s true—i loathe them and will choose function over fashion 99% of the time. then, once in a blue moon, i will think it’s a good idea to wear heels and by the end of the night i will swear them off again for another six to eight months.

back to the wedding… the ceremony was held outside with a beautiful mountain backdrop. the couple exchanged their vows and rings. it was absolutely perfect!

after the ceremony, there was a cocktail hour with hors d’oeuvres.

IMG_6095IMG_6099

there was hummus with pita bread, artichoke cheese dip with assorted crackers and delicious cauliflower bisque shooters. such a cute idea!

after the cocktail hour we moved into the reception hall for the dinner service. i flipped when i saw the centerpieces!

helllllo, mister owl. i thought about stealing him for a split second.. but then my criminal thoughts were interrupted with the delicious menu.

can i say one more time that this is the fanciest wedding i have attended? sorry if it’s nothing new to you guys and you are rolling your eyes.. but sit down dinner weddings are not the norm in utah. i know, we are a different breed.

the meal started with fresh baked rolls with butter and an organic green salad with balsamic vinaigrette.  there were two main course options—a chicken one and a vegan one.

the chicken option was a pan seared chicken breast smothered in a prosciutto and tomato cream sauce served with broccolini and sun dried tomato polenta.

the vegan option was a puff pastry pocket filled with something delicious (no idea what) served on top of a bed of broccolini and roasted baby potatoes. i snapped a photo of dave’s.

the dessert was the best part… vanilla bean cheesecake! when they brought it out, marshall had to eyeball which slice was larger. he ended up trading with me because mine was bigger. the sacrifices i make for this guy…

the cheesecake was served with fresh whipped cream and fruit. there was also tableside coffee service.

it was incredible! not that that comes as a surprise. i made sure to eat all the graham cracker crust first—it’s my favorite part of the cheesecake.

the vegan dessert option was carrot cake.

my vegan buddies said it was tasty, but definitely had that “this is vegan carrot cake” denseness to it.

table mates!

steph, alex, nate, katie, me & marsh.

the groom stopped by our table and said, “you like owls, right janetha? take that owl.”

ha! i was so stoked!

after the gourmet meal, the party began. there was one of my FAVORITE THINGS EVER: a photo booth!

we had one at our wedding and i love the scrap book that was made from all our guests’ photos. anna and brian had the same thing going on. i was thrilled!

there was dancing.. but our friends really just don’t dance. oh, except for nick. look what a great time he was having on the dance floor…

actually, the only ones really tearing it up on the dance floor were the kiddos. they were going crazy! brian has two little boys and they were busting out breakdance moves, spinning on their heads and all!

brian and anna have a little girl, eloise, who was running around in circles all night. she’s one of the cutest little girls on the planet.

after the traditional dances, it was time for cake! there were two cakes… the traditional one:

and a rad misfits groom’s cake:

we spent the next couple hours hanging out and having a good time.

IMG_6194IMG_6155IMG_6176IMG_6183

notice nick creeping in the back of the photo booth. he photo bombed every photo session possible. it’s what he does. too bad it’s not a paying job.. cause he’d be rich. he’s a total creep.

as expected, my feet eventually started hurting from my heels, and i slipped marshall’s comfy sanuks on for a few. they were a little big. i looked like a duck.

just before anna and brian were ready to take off, there was the bouquet toss.

daysha was super bummed she didn’t catch the bouquet! (it’s ok, she is already married.)

but jen was suuuuper stoked to have caught it!

just before they left, i finally snagged a photo of the happy couple and eloise. they make such cute babies! and anna is pregnant, so they will have one more adorable kiddo soon.

we all headed outside to send the bride & groom off with a tunnel of bubbles. they took quite awhile to come outside, so everyone broke down and started playing with their bubbles.

IMG_6205IMG_6207   IMG_6215

yes, we are five. fortunately, we all still had bubbles by the time the newlyweds came outside.

brian loves star wars, so you can imagine how stoked he was when the imperial march started playing and the lightsabers were put up at the end of the tunnel. i love his excited face here. anna, you are a good wife.

IMG_6213IMG_6214

congratulations, anna & brian! we are so happy for you.

G October 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I just wanted to comment and say you looked absolutely gorgeous in that black dress!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

That honestly looks like SUCH a fun wedding!! The food looks amazing and I love that everything is so personalized!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

A few things –
I wish I was in the Utah mountains right now.
You look ROCKIN’ HOT in those heels.
Marshall looks STELLA’ HOT in that gray jacket.
Nick looks …just creepy.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Great pics! Looks like a fab time :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

What a fun wedding. Everyone looks like they are livin’ it up and the energy is awesome. Glad you guys had a great time and also enjoyed the last of the farmers market for the season.

Jessy (squeezetheday) October 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I often skip such recaps on blogs, but yours are always fun to read.

Love that photo of you with the owl. You look gorgeous! And I really want to try cheesecake, yum.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews October 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Looks like a great wedding! You and Marshall seem to have a lot of friends!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You have THE coolest looking friends.

lindsay October 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm

what a sweet time. I love weddings. Time to celebrate love, good friends, and just dance! Oh and pictures, lots of pictures. Now, i’d say you got the best wedding favor. They know you well, or shall i say they actually give a “woot!” (get it, owls?!) I’ll stop now.
xoxo

Erica October 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yayyy for all the farmers market goodness-especially the apples! The wedding does look fancy! Awesome that they had so many cool vegan options. I love heels! I really love wedges

Eden October 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I need to be friends with your friends. I want to go to these wedding parties and mooch off the free food and be all cool like you.

Boo hiss to the farmers market going away. All the more reason to live with Deb and I in LA! We have the market all year! No end!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Yes, except in Palm Springs, they yank the farmer’s market at the Camelot because everything would melt in the summer (including the people) booo :-(

sarah October 23, 2011 at 5:32 pm

What a fun wedding! Absolutely beautiful.. including that cake! Glad you had a great weekend. Love your long sleeve dress!

Katie October 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Your friends look like so much fun! Congratulations to Anna and Brian :-)

For the wedding I went to in Utah, we all stayed at the Marriott in Park City right near where the festival is… and then drove to a ranch for the wedding itself. So perfect. Your state is GORGEOUS!

Susan October 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Okay, so first I flipped out at the sight of the Misfits cake (I LOVE the Misfits), but the lightsabers were just too much. Awesome wedding!!

In other news, you looked totally hot in your heels ;)

melissanibbles October 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm

That looks like such a fun wedding! You look sexy in your heels girl :)

Laura October 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Beautiful wedding! I am the same way with heels :) They are reserved for my company’s Christmas.

Candice October 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm

can you believe I never went to the market.. oomph. next year.
The wedding looked beautiful! and so did you!
loves.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm

That wedding looks like a blast!

Paige @ Running Around Normcal October 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I LOVE that dress on you! Super hawt. Loving the heels, too!

I’m so sad I missed the last weekend of our farmer’s market this weekend. But, at least I went to the farmers market in the town I was visiting, so that counts I guess :)

katie October 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I am so glad you got to take that owl!! haha! Best wedding favor ever!

Your friends wedding dress, I am in LOVE with!!! Ahhhh! SHe looked so beautiful and I love her dress!!

What a awesome wedding, it looked like the best time ever!

You and Marshall looked so great! Love that pic of you two! I love the one you posted on instagram too!

Love you! Happy Sunday night!

Oh and YAY for Marshall’s Packers winning today!

Bonnie October 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Fun post, my friend! You just look so extra cute these days! Liked the dress and heels – I never wear them either and feel a little weird in them but also like chances to dress up – just every now and then. ;) You and Marshall looked sharp together too! Love that you got to keep the owl – how fun. :D And the bride looked beautiful – so fairy-tale-like! Glad to see you enjoyed the weekend. Love ya, J!

Sara @ Sara Says... Bake. October 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

The food at the wedding looks AMAZING! Food is the most important part: it’s what all the guests are talking about while the bride and groom are getting pictures taken, it’s what everyone criticizes/raves about the most, and it can make or break a whole reception. Looks like this was a hit :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Sheesh lady! You look amazing in black! :) Glad you had a fun weekend!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm

ohh Janetha you look so fabulous in your heels!!! you shoudl wear them more often ;) I totally undertsand the comfort factor though!! i wear heels so often somtimes I am TOO comfortable in them lol…the higher the better! lol

the wedding looks amazing and the bride looks beautiful! that dress is so cinderella esq on her and she looks gorgeous!! glad you had a great time! Owl centerpieces AND vanilla bean cheesecake?!?! was the wedding made for you?! hehe

xoxox

Krissie J October 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Looks like such a great time! I love that they left under crossed light sabers. hahaha!

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife October 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm

wow! what a fun wedding! the vegan dinner looked delicious… but then again everything is delicious wrapped in puff pastry…

Tiffany October 24, 2011 at 1:13 am

Um, that wedding looks awesome. Especially the dude who photobombs everyone. Mad respect yo.

Also, loving the idea of a marching accordion band, I’ve never heard of that before but will keep my ears peeled for it!

Elizabeth @ A Dancer In The Kitchen October 24, 2011 at 1:15 am

Oh, I’m so bummed I missed the last SLC farmer’s market day! I’m out of the state for work so I loved seeing your pics! What a fun wedding….Sundance is beautiful!

Teri {a foodie stays fit} October 24, 2011 at 2:22 am

That is a fancy Utah wedding – fun! I love that he gave you the owl too :)

You really do look incredible in heels. Helps show off those awesome legs of yours.

Love ya girl!

cathy@1970kikiproject October 24, 2011 at 5:53 am

what a fun weekend! glad you made it out to the market for the last possible time. enjoy the apples (best kind!).
the wedding – > looks like it was just a wonderful time for everyone. love that first photo of you and marshall together. and super fun that you got to take home the owl! congrats to the happy couple!!

Meg October 24, 2011 at 6:27 am

What al lovely looking wedding :) You lookedk gorgeous too missy!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

You look so pretty in that black dress! :) The wedding looked beautiful. I love the cake!

Brittany October 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

I die in heels too!! I’m super tall so I barely ever wear them haha. That wedding looks like so much fun! Congrats to them!

momma b. October 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

Wonderful wedding, they are such a darling couple!!

You look beautiful and Marshall is just so handsome – the end.

xoxo

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

Heavens to betsy, it looks like we have the same friends in different areas of the US.

Christin October 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Looks like you guys had an awesome weekend…those heels are so adorable! I always keep a pair of flats in my purse because I can’t resist heels sometimes, but I’ll be darned if i’m going to try to dance all night in them! :)
Travis would be totally jealous of that Misfits Groom cake…it looks amazing!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Love Marshall’s frownie face when he’s eyeing up the biggest piece of cake. And kiddos are always the ones that rip it up on the dance floor. I wonder when we become inhibited as adults (many of us)…I know that as kids we ALLLL danced! You look good in heels- even if it’s only annually :-)

Love you.

shah'ada October 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

um, you are so so so gorgeous!!! and the wedding was beautiful! living in utah, i completely know what you mean about absolutely non-fancy weddings. a luncheon in a backyard instead of a chapel? whooooooa!! glad you had a blast :D

ps. where are your earrings from? love them!

Janetha November 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

My friend has her own business and she makes them here in Utah! Her website: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Tifthapeach

Ali Mc October 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I hate the end of fresh produce :( and I love the wedding photos. You look great :) looks super fun and the food looks to die for!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Can I just say that you look gorgeous in that black dress and heels? So simple and chic!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm

That does look like a crazy good weekend. And fancy wedding. We don’t do much either around here with huge, fancy weddings.

And what’s a farmers market without a clown and dragon dog? ;)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

you look so pretty!! I sure do love fancy weddings–and heels! I love heels ;)