the other birthday boy.

by Janetha on October 17, 2011

in family time

marshall wasn’t the only birthday boy last weekend!

IMG_5718IMG_5698

we celebrated my nephew’s birthday on friday night. little greyson is one!

doesn’t he look like a 80 year old man? no? just me?

my sister in law is notorious for her adorable themed parties and this one was no different.

the theme was “one year in a flash” and there was a fun photo booth with props where all the guests could get their photos taken.

there were photos of grey hanging around the awning. he is such a cute little nugget.

we brought our own picnic to the party. i wasn’t feeling so hot, so i totally cheated and had whole foods make our picnic.

IMG_5734IMG_5731IMG_5728

i cracked a kombucha and had a few sips, but my belly was really aching so i stopped eating and drinking all together. well, that is until i was tempted by this ridiculously awesome spread of desserts!

the spread included cupcakes, donuts, cookies, brownies, s’mores bars, some white balls of powdered love and candy corn bark.

IMG_5693IMG_5694IMG_5695IMG_5688IMG_5690IMG_5691

marshall sampled everything first…

IMG_5736IMG_5720IMG_5721IMG_5722

…and after he declared that the mini pumpkin cream cheese cupcakes were the best, that’s what i went for.

he was right. i like pumpkin cupcakes but this one was better than any i have had. it’s hard to explain, but the flavor reminded me more of pumpkin pie rather than cake.. it was spicier, if that makes sense. turns out she got them at target, so you should probably just go buy a batch to see what i mean.

the best part of the party was when it was time to sing “happy birthday” to greyson.

he got a liiiittle too excited about that candle and grabbed a hold of it!

the best part is the kiddos’ faces in the background. hilarious.

luckily nobody got burned and greyson got to eat cake. that’s all that matters.

side note: aren’t his boots the cutest?

after cake, there were gifts.

IMG_5763IMG_5764

the party favors were really cute!

IMG_5739IMG_5738

it was a great birthday celebration for grey. thanks for having us, linds! love you guys.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Cute pics! I love the little booties :)

katie October 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

the booties are so cute and he is adorable!!!

Oh your sister in law is so creative , love the party favors and the whole theme!!

Love u!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

What a cute theme! And I <3 the baby – he's too cute!

Krissie J October 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Greyson is adorable! I’ll have to see if our Target has those cupcakes, they sound amazing. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

That’s a good mom right there!! A theme, party favors, and pumpkin cupcakes!?!? She can be in my mom club.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Could your SIL please plan our next dozen or so bday parties? She looks like a pro and what a fun and awesome looking event!

lindsay October 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm

oh i remember when Greyson was born! well, i remember you posting about it. And his cute face. Looks like he has gotten even cuter!

Andrea@WellnessNotes October 17, 2011 at 8:42 pm

What an awesome party!!! Greyson is adorable. And I can totally see the 80 year old in him, specially the first pic. Too cute!!

Sorry you weren’t feeling well. Hope things have improved by now…

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love the photo theme – how cute! I would love to be the one known for cook theme parties, that takes skill. And that spread of desserts looks amazing!

Erica October 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

SO cute! I hope tO have awesome theme parties for k!! The pumpkin cupcakes look tasty!

Lauren October 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Awww, Marshall made a cute birthday boy but your nephew wins! What a cutie!!! :) Happy birthday to two very special boys in your life.

Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Ahhh! I love babies; Greyson is too cute! Happy belated birthday to him! ;) I love the pics of Marshall taste-testing the desserts; made me laugh! ;)

Pure2raw twins October 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

toooooo cute!! Happy Birthday to Greyson!!

Amanda October 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Dude. Belly aching sucks! I’m sorry you weren’t feeling too great at the party. Hope it goes away asap. I am over my stomach lately too. Let’s find new ones.

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:27 am

yes. let’s!

lindsay October 17, 2011 at 11:59 pm

pretty sweet re-cap. thanks for coming. you guys are always super supportive. that picture of the candle….i still can’t believe that happened.

Densie October 18, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love the pictures hung with clothespins on the porch. Very creative.

cathy@1970kikiproject October 18, 2011 at 6:38 am

wow, that’s wild that your nephew is one – i remember when he was born last year!
the party looks so fun. your sil is very creative – i love those glasses.
glad your family could celebrate together.

Brittany October 18, 2011 at 6:42 am

Haha he is adorable!!! Looks like such a fun time. I would’ve been all over those desserts too ;)

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

Your nephew is adorable and I love his name! It’s very unique! :)

The party looked great. Your sister-in-law is very creative.

Sami October 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

baby shoes in general are probably one of my favorite things in the world. i think it comes from a love of all things mini…you and i have that in common (: glad little grey had a perfect 1st bday!
xo.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition October 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

Greyson is so adorable! I’m starting to get the baby itch…maybe I should focus on a steady bf first : )

Stephanie October 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Such a cutie! I always envy people who throw really put-together parties. I’m nowhere near organized enough for that!

Kim @ The Family Practice October 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

What a cute theme! Someone got our son a mitt and ball for his 1 year party too – three years ago! He still has it and we take to every baseball game :) He also owns an imaginary baseball team comprised of our family members – he keeps inviting peopleto join his team or trading people out when they have bad attitudes in real life. Cracks me up. Thats one of the few gifts from that birthday he still has, so your mom was spot on!

Sara @ Sara Says... Bake. October 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

Looks like an awesome 1st birthday party to me! And aren’t you obsessed with photo booths? No photo booth pictures for the blog!?

Ali Mc October 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

what a cute party. and I love that Marshal sampled everything first :) what a nice man. and I love the little kids faces in the background of that candle grab shot. The little girls is priceless :D

Christin October 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

What a little cutie your nephew is!!

Sorry to hear about your tummy troubs…hope you feel better soon! :(

eliza October 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

he is 5?

janetha October 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

haha.. umm.. no, he is one. why did you think he was five?!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Awww…. love first birthday parties. Love the theme! Love the boots. REALLY love the looks of that dessert table! :) I bet you’re exhausted fro myour weekend! I’m tired just reading about it! :)

eliza October 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

i thought he was 5 because you said
“the highlight? momma b got greyson a baseball mitt and glove… for a five year old. nothing like planning ahead!”

haha.. my bad!

janetha October 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm

oh–that’s funny. the mitt was made for a five year old.. but the rest of the post talks about how he’s one!

Katie October 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I’m sure she gets this all the time but your SIL looks so much like Kristen Wiig!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 20, 2011 at 8:22 am

Aww, that looks like so much fun! And Greyson is such a happy baby! I know most of the time kids freak out with the cake and all the attention on their first birthday, but he looks right at home as the center of attention…uh-oh, mama better watch out! ;)

I love that you made Marshall your guinea pig…not that it looks like he minded one bit! And if those powdered balls of love are mexican wedding cookies, I would have run off with the whole platter for sure! LOVE those!