gut update.

by Janetha on October 14, 2011

in questions answered

a lot of people have asked what is going on with my guts, so i figured i might as well blog about it. you guys can handle it, right? i mean.. everybody poops.

so, here’s the deal. for the past 5+ years or so, i have always had a distended stomach at the end of the day. some days were worse than others, but there was always a little bloating and protrusion. i have lovingly (okay, not so lovingly) referred to this as my “bump” and never really knew what caused it. i knew a couple things for sure: it was embarrassing and uncomfortable. oh, and sometimes it hurt.

i did body for life and after completing the challenge i was the leanest i’ve ever been (around 14% body fat.) however, i would wake up with a 6 pack and go to sleep looking 6 months pregnant. no, this is not an exaggeration. it was ridiculous! i ended up going to my doctor for my problem (just my GP).. i had a CT scan and they saw nothing. i went to a plastic surgeon because i was convinced that i had diastasis recti (abdominal separation).. um, nope, wrong again. i never went to a gastroenterologist, though. i didn’t really think to do that. since i was cleared by the CT scan i thought it was something i just had to live with and my body was just crazy.

fast forward to this summer, where i was experiencing more pain than usual. my bowels were all over the place. sometimes i’d poop every four days and other times i would poop four times in a day. not normal. also, my stomach was protruding out WAY more than usual. think 8 months pregnant rather than 5 or 6. again, not exaggerating. plus, it hurt.

i got an appointment with a GI on september 19th. that’s when all the testing started. i got an upper endoscopy, a CT scan and a colonoscopy. the first two tests showed nothing unusual. i also got some blood work that came back normal, i am not allergic to anything and there were no strange results. while i may be intolerant to foods (which would take an elimination diet to discover which ones) i am definitely not allergic to anything. (can we get a *yay* for not having celiac disease?)  i had my colonoscopy yesterday.. that’s when we got a couple answers.

first of all, i had to do a two day prep for the colonoscopy because i rarely poop. “normal” for me is to poop every other day, or maybe every three days. i realize this is not normal for anyone else. i’m “special”…

anyway, my last meal was monday night around 9 PM. tuesday and wednesday were rough to say the least. i managed to get a sore throat on top of being hungry and having a pounding headache. it was so rad. the multiple laxatives i had to take for the prep were pretty rad, too. it’s ok to be jealous. i won’t go into detail. you’re welcome.

i went into the hospital for the colonoscopy yesterday at 8:15 AM. aside from the needle for the IV, it wasn’t so bad. (i hate needles.)

i woke up and my GI told me that he could clearly see that i have a lazy colon. the colon is a muscle.. and mine is a total wimp. it doesn’t function the way it should, it doesn’t eliminate the way it should. it doesn’t move things along. i accumulate waste and gas in abnormal amounts. my body is a hoarder!

he gave me a prescription to complete a 20 day antibiotic/probiotic regimen to get rid of any bad gas and introduce good bacteria into my guts. i thanked him and was on my merry way. first stop was obviously a restaurant so i could eat my first meal since monday, which was actually the same as my last meal—a grilled cheese and tomato soup. favorite.

about 10 minutes into my meal, my whole insides started hurting like something fierce. i didn’t finish my lunch because i was in so much pain. we (momma b and i) headed to REI to snag my mom the vibrams i promised to get her for her birthday.. and by this time i just wanted to get home and crawl into bed! we got back to my house and, as luck would have it, i was locked out. i forgot to grab my keys on my way out the door earlier that morning.

good thing there was a ladder in the back of marshall’s truck.. and good thing momma b is AMAZING. while i was doubled over in pain on the porch, she managed to hop the fence and go through the back (unlocked) door.

isn’t she the best?

anyway, we got into my house and got in touch with my doctor (i had been trying to get a hold of him since the pain began—i also tweeted about the situation and a few awesome ladies told me that NO, this pain was in fact not normal and to see what was up.) my doc told me to meet him at the emergency room right away so he could see what was going on. he was actually on his way out of town, but said he couldn’t leave town without making sure it was nothing crazy.

so.. it was BACK to the hospital! we got to the ER and my doc took a look at me.. listened to my abdomen with his stethoscope.. had me jump up and down.. and then escorted me to radiology so i could get an xray. worst case scenario, i had a perforation in my colon. i won’t leave you in suspense and just tell you right away that that was NOT the case. i know my mom, deb & missy were worried sick that it was—i hated to worry them, but it’s also nice that they were so concerned. love you guys!

what it turned out to be was TONS and TONS of gas. way more than a person typically has after a colonoscopy. it’s normal to be gassy, but it’s not normal to be doubled over in excruciating pain. turns out, my body hates me and hoards gas like nothing else. this is what causes the pain and distended abdomen.

i took some photos post-colonoscopy (around 11 AM) and then post-xray. the only thing i had ingested between the two photos was the bit of sandwich and some soup. the photos on the right were right after the xray, when the pain was at about a 8 (down from a 10+!)  you can clearly see that i am waaaay distended. it hurts just looking at these!

oh.. and hope you don’t mind the bra shots. these are all relaxed shots—no sucking in, flexing, or pushing out.

image image

while this is definitely the most painful my issue has ever been, it’s not the worst (visually) the distention has been. it’s been far worse on days i have consumed five meals and a gallon of water. those are the “i look 8 months pregnant” days.

today i woke up with a pain level of a 2 or a 3. i have had a protein shake, a simply bar, a chobani yogurt, a kombucha and quite a bit of water. the pain is hovering at a 3. it’s annoying. the bloating has gone down quite a bit from the photos above, but i am still a bit distended.

to be honest, it’s a little embarrassing to share all this with the world wide web—even though i have NO control over what is happening with my body, i am still very uncomfortable with it. it sucks to work my ass off with clean eating and working out, only to have a huge, bloated gut by the end of the day. i am not comfortable wearing tight shirts simply because i look like i have a beer belly when, in fact, it’s a bunch of air. it’s frustrating and i really hope to get to the bottom of my issues soon.

but it’s like my doctor said… the journey has just begun.

*****************

in other news

• the winner of the better breakfast challenge is  #9—tiffany with her okonomiyaki.. a VERY unique breakfast that deserved to win. congratulations, tiffany! please email me your address so i can get your package shipped out before the new year…

*****************

have a great weekend! can’t believe october is already halfway over!

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] October 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

oh my goodness. that is crazy. you poor thing.

i’m glad you are on the path back to health! <3 <3 <3

Paige October 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Ughhhhhh this all blows. Those pictures are seriously CRAZY. I mean I am always “thinnest” in the morning before I eat anything, but nothing as extreme as what you experience. I hope all these tests help your doctor get to the bottom of your issues!

Lori October 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Don’t be embarrassed at all. These things should be talked about more so there *isn’t* embarrassment!

I hope this leads to some resolution for you. And thank goodness you have insurance!

Tamara October 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hey Janetha,

So sorry to hear about your troubles! I’ve been dealing with the same troubles for several years now. Two years ago I went to the GI and thru the colonoscopy thing. Basically it was a bust, they told me I was fine but I was in excruciating pain so they finally gave me medicine which made me feel worse and drowsy all the time… My body continued to get worse and shutting down, constant bruising and literally using the bathroom before I was even done with a mea… Everything got worse, I did more and more research online and started following a blog called Balanced Bites. Eventually I started following her meal plans and attended a seminar of hers this year and learned a ton about leaky gut and as hard as Paleo is to follow at first, I no longer have digestion problems and don’t look six months preggo by the end of the day… So, If I could make a suggestion, check out her site, Diane knows her stuff… Best of luck!!

Tamara

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:21 am

Thank you for the tip, I will check that blog out!

Kelsey October 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

EEEeep! That looks painful. I hope you feel less gassy soon!! Oh and — Penny says “Hi Penny!”

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:21 am

Hi back, Penny!

Kelly October 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Wow, I’m so sorry this happens to you- it looks so painful! I have a lot of problems with bloating too (but definitely not to your extent, I see a noticeable difference but I’m not sure if pictures would show it as well). I find certain foods (cheese would be a problem for me) definitely make it worse, anything high in fat, insoluble fiber (lettuce, bran etc) and dairy is usually off limits except for yogurt. I recently started taking Align which is a probiotic. I’ve had a lot of success with this. I still can’t eat all those things but if I eat right and take the Align I see a pretty big difference in my bloating. Don’t know if it will work for you, but I really hope something does!

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:22 am

Thank you for the insight! I appreciate it!

Bria @ West of Persia October 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for the update. Funny, I was recently wondering what was up with your situation. Those photos are like “whoa!”

Someone close to me is going through something similar; I will forward her this link. Please take good care of yourself.

A couple of good tips I’ve gotten over the years: warm lemon water upon waking (like the temperature of tea). Sometimes I throw fresh ginger in there, too, to up the ante. Also, I’ve been told not to drink with meals, or at least not a lot. Why? Drinking lots of liquid with meals dilutes and weakens digestive enzymes, which means your food doesn’t digest well, causing problems “down the line,” so to speak. My nutritionist friend recommends drinking a half hour before and meal and waiting until about an hour after eating before drinking any large amount of liquid.

My probiotic of choice is Culturelle; I’ve tried a few brands and this works this best for me. I know several people who agree.

Yoga twists help a lot, too, by toning and stimulating the internal organs.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:23 am

I do the lemon water thing! The drinking during meals thing is very interesting.. thank you for that tip! Makes sense.

I appreciate all the insight!

Shruti October 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I am not sure if I should feel happy that someone out there has the same issues that I deal with or feel sad ? I hope you feel better soon. I am planning on seeing a doc soon. Last time I went to a doc he only gave me a laxative. It did help but for just few days. I am now sitting with a bloated tummy and typing this comment!

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:23 am

hope you get to the bottom of your situation, too!

Kait October 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

GAH I hope you are feeling better. As someone who has suffered from multiple GI issues as well, I totally understand! Through trial and error (and pain), I have found what works for me and I hope your lazy colon gets its but in gear and starts working as hard as you do to keep your body healthier!

Also, it isn’t totally abnormal to only poop once every 4 days. I hope your GI mentioned that in adults the “average” ranges from once every few days to several times a day. At least that is what the MassGeneral and Brigham &Women’s GIs say.

Good luck and feel better!

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:24 am

Thanks for the poop tip!

Caitlin October 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

So sorry you are dealing with these GI issues – my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Katie October 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh my word, you poor, poor thing! I hope and pray that this regimen they put you on puts and end to all that uncomfortable bloating! I know exactly what that feels like at the end of the day and it’s miserable. I used to lay on the floor with my butt in the air in an attempt to let some of that gas “pass” – big hugs, and hope yo are already feeling better today!

Sami October 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm

that’s crazy!!! i feel that way sometimes too! like i’ll go several days without pooping and then one day, i’ll go like 5 times. it’s weird. i wonder if i have these type of issues to some extent? glad you’re getting things figured out and hopefully you’ll start feeling better soon!

xoox.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I experience similar symptoms a few times a month, and couldn’t imagine dealing with it every single day! Crossing my fingers and hoping things improve quickly for you!

Shannon October 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that! I’m glad it’s nothing horribly wrong, but what a pain to go through! My aunt turned my family on to Acidophilus (Good bacteria that kills the bad bacteria, but you probably know what that is…) so I wonder if that would help.
I hope you can figure things out because that looks painful!

Krista (kristastes) October 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’m glad it’s not a food allergy but it still sucks big time. This happens to me almost every day. Have you been at a desk job for the last 5 years? I noticed when I was out of work this past month for surgery, I had minimal issues with my stomach. Now, I’m convinced sitting at a desk for 6-10 hours a day is one of the culprits because even if you’re in an ergonomic chair, you still kinda crunch your stomach. Can’t be good for digestion. Annnnnd don’t even get me started if I eat raw vegetables, especially broccoli.

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:24 am

DUDE. you are a genius. i think this ALL started when i got a desk job!

Krista (kristastes) October 18, 2011 at 7:25 am

If there are studies on desk jobs + heart disease there have got to be ones on desk jobs and digestion! I hope you get it worked out soon, whatever is causing it!!! xo

Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Thanks so much for the update. I really hope they figure something out soon! I can’t imagine the pain and discomfort you’re feeling! :(

Ashley October 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm

You know I can definitely relate with the looking + feeling pregnant by the end of the night. Man that is just no fun!! I’m so glad you finally have the reasoning behind everything. Now I’m just hoping you can get things working properly. I know you will though!! Sending loads of hugs your way. :) xoxo

Janetha October 18, 2011 at 12:25 am

Thanks, Ash! I plan to use you as a resource when my doc puts me on an elimination diet :)

Ashley October 18, 2011 at 12:28 am

Yes! Definitely let me know any way I can help!

AL October 19, 2011 at 12:13 am

Can we make this correspondence open to others?? Totally interested! :)

Jenn (GH) October 18, 2011 at 3:08 am

I’m a few days behind reading and I missed this. Just wanted to say I’m glad you are ok and I hope they figure out what is going on soon. I’m sorry you were in so much pain. (((Hugs))) How awesome is Momma B!!

T October 18, 2011 at 2:54 am

janetha…

i’m brand spanking new to your blog… in fact, my bff showed me this post and told me i just had to comment. AND DO I EVER.

this story hits really close to home for me because its exactly what i’ve gone through most of my entire life (i’m 32, to give you some perspective). seriously, every single detail is exactly the same: endless CT scans and colonoscopies with clear results, waking up with my stomach flat as a board and looking totally preggers by the end of the night, keeling over in pain just 10 minutes after eating a simple meal, and even getting diagnosed as having a lazy colon by GI doc after GI doc. it went like this for years until one summer i ended up in the hospital… after a very difficult, painful several months that ending in major surgery, i found out i had Crohn’s Disease (diagnosed at 26)… and it was causing EVERY. SINGLE. SYMPTOM i had been experiencing for years.

okay, so now the story is getting even longer, sorry. so i’ve got Crohn’s at the end of my small intestine, just before my colon starts. it doesn’t show up in a colonscopy because its too far up the intestinal tract, and doesn’t show up in a CT scan because if affects the lining of the intestine. it effects both my digestion and, um, well, my pooping. at the time, mine was so far gone that surgery was the only fix, albeit a temporary one, but now meds and a good diet help most of the time. anyway, i’m no expert but it sounds to me like you might just have Crohn’s Disease yourself. if it is that, it’ll help explain all the symptoms you’ve been experiencing… and maybe some you thought were completely unrelated. talk to your GI about it… and of course feel free to reach out to me if you’ve got any other questions. good luck!

Janetha October 20, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thank you for sharing your own issues and insight! I will definitely ask my GI about this.

Janetha October 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thank you for sharing your own issues and insight. I think it’s crazy how many people have similar issues! I was cleared for Crohn’s, but my husband has it. I know how painful it must be =/

Janna November 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm

If you get this reply, I’d love to chat about this!

emily October 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Poor girl! I’m new to your blog, been reading about a week. I had to give you a shout out, though, because I think it’s incredibly brave of you to post so honestly about this.

My ex-husband suffers from ulcerative colitis… the good news for you, if your colonoscopy looked fine, then you probably don’t have that! Anyway, I have seen firsthand how much a digestive issue can affect someone’s life. It can be difficult and embarrassing to explain to others, plus it’s just plain painful + scary. For my was-band, I know that some foods were just too problematic: beans, raw veg, and especially cruciferous veg were just too hard to digest.

Take care of yourself, chicky. Sounds like have a long road of elimination-dieting in front of you. I too wonder (like someone else commented) if a desk job is part of the problemo?

Janetha October 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thanks for your comment, Emily!

Amanda October 18, 2011 at 11:35 am

Amazed at how many of us there are. Healthy diet and lifestyle and yet suffering from this “yucky” issue. I’ve had CT scans, Endoscopy, blood tests, seen gynocologist, endocrinologist, GI doc and was even sent to an oncologist! I’ve done elimination diets, paleo diet, liquid diet, pro-biotics, digestive enzymes, natural calm…No answers. You’re fine, just some IBS, take a pill :(

I gave up and decided to just live with it. After all the money I’ve spent, I didn’t want to pay for the colonoscopy to be told again that nothing is wrong with me. Praying your doctor is willing to do what it takes to get to the bottom of this.

I started growing my own kefir in July based on the advice of a friend. No change until about 10 days ago. Gas a bloating is still there a bit, but the constipation is MUCH better. Seriously, 10 days straight…like clockwork! So, maybe it’s taking some time, but it’s working…for now!

GOOD LUCk, and I’ll be following every poop story from here on out!

Christina October 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Yikes hopefully it’ll get better asap! Sounds like it sucks balls but at least you no longer have to think it’s something you have to live with and will hopefully come to an end.

Lara October 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

OMG! I had been wondering what in the heck was going on with all those liquid diet references on Instagram ;) You poor baby, this SUCKS. I hope your pain in under control and that those doctors can get to the bottom of this :( Hugs.

Lauren October 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

So sorry to hear what you’re going through. I’m so glad you have wonderful, supportive family to help you out and be there for you-even climbing over a fence! :)

AL October 19, 2011 at 12:06 am

Okay, just to let you know you are not alone– I experience MUCH of what you do! Case in point, one time I was having an ultrasound (unrelated issues) and the OB said, “Oh wow… do you see all of those little white circles? Those are gas bubbles. I have never seen this much gas in anyone as long as I’ve been in practice”… so yeah, such a peach! She just solidified my thought that I MUST not be normal in that category–
Still haven’t gone through the GI world of tests… I think I’m afraid to get started- and for them to tell me they can’t find a solution (you feel me, right?)– but I know it’s gotta be soon.
Best to you, sister- and if you ever need an ear to listen, or a belly to bump, email me… I’m here for ya! ;)

lora October 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

OMG! I really hope you figure all of this out! Over the summer I had awful stomach issues, to the point I wouldn’t go out to eat in a restaurant AT ALL. Any time I ate, I got sick…it was bad. But after a bunch of probiotics, no dairy and lots of water and lactaid, my tummy seemed to calm down. The body is a tricky thing so i really hope you get this all figured out so you don’t have to be in such pain :(

sending you lots of love,
lolo

Theodora October 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I would like to fly out to Utah and give you a big hug.

On the upside, your pre-distended stomach? SO HOT.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 20, 2011 at 8:42 am

Oh my gosh! I think I might have the same thing! I thought I was just weird or something, but almost everyday (most of the time just after I eat lunch) my stomach gets so distended and I have the worst gas pains. I thought maybe I had a sensitivity to fiber, but I’ve even gone days trying to be sure to eat the least amount of fiber as I could. While the pain/distention isn’t as bad on those days, it still happens. Recently I started getting the same problem after eating yogurt and cheese (I had some vegetarian lasagna at work the other day and thought I was going to die about 2 hours later) so I thought I was experiencing a little lactose intolerance, but the other day I forgot to take my little lactaid pill and had some yogurt and was fine. I don’t know what the deal is, but I feel the same way as you…uncomfortable and embarrassed. I mean seriously, I eat good AND I workout, why do I have a beer gut??

Gina October 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Thank you for opening up about this because I seriously think I have the same thing! I wake up with a flat tummy and look like I’m in my 3rd trimester by the end of the day and I’m doubled over in pain. I pulled gluten out of my diet and felt a little bit of relief and now its back in full swing. I guess doctor here I come =/

Stacey October 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yep, I was havin these same issues. Ever since eliminating raw veggies and limiting my fruit intake (I.e. apples), I have felt much better. I stick w one granola bar a day. No crackers , pretzels, etc.
I eat cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, pb, whole wheat English muffins /bread etc. pudding, eggs, protein smoothies. Simple things. A salad once a week or so. No red meat. A lil seafood or chicken here and there. Bean burgers,,,etc. sweet potatoes once a week. Hope this helps. 2 sticks a gum a day. 2 cups of coffee. I sweeten w honey, artificial sweetners are gas attacks. I always carry gas x w me and Papaya enzymes. Yoga helps too ;-$, thinking of u ;-)

Janna November 2, 2011 at 12:01 am

Wow, if you have any insights. Please email me…maybe Janetha can pass along my email to you?

Janetha November 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Stacey would have automatically got your reply complete with your contact info.. so hopefully she mails you back!! xo

Janna November 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Thanks, I’m in SO much pain. But I keep eating anyway. I don’t exercise much, only walks. I am already low weight and a bit wary of just slacking back and eating less or “easier” cause I want to gain already. But Im so uncomfortable.
So many theories…I don’t eat gluten..but I don’t know if dairy makes it better or worse….or gluten-free breads, or oatmeal…i eat a ton of protein and smoothies…but i don’t think that is goood either. so confused and just desperate for someone to say “eat this…u will feel better”. my body is like so full of gas its unbelievable.

Janna November 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

p.s…i didnt know this stuff ping-backed…i didn”t get it in my email book…strange!

Christena October 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Oh my goodness….I have this exact same problem, only I have NEVER heard anyone else talk about it. My symptoms have been going on for 17 years, since I was in high school. I am bigger than you and have more weight on my stomach (you look awesome, BTW!), and it is to the point now that I wear elastic-waist pants every day to work….NY&C City Knit or any other professional dress pants I can find with a forgiving waistband. I only wear tops that are loose in the gut and by the end of the day many days, I do look pregnant. It is ridiculous. I have tried eliminating different foods, but I can’t figure out what it really is. I’ve gone to several different GPs for this throughout the years and was even referred to a psychiatrist (!!) because one of them thought it was anxiety-induced IBS. I went along with treatment but the IBS never really got better.

Anyway, now that I know at least one other person has this problem I feel somewhat better. Thank you for sharing. Sorry for the comment-bomb.

LC October 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I know posts like this always have a ton of people offering their own unscientific advice, but I couldn’t NOT post if it would help someone else the way it’s helped me.

Look into BioSET (Bioenergetic Sensitivity and Enzyme Therapy). Basically, they do a thorough screening of tons of foods and allergens to identify your intolerances. Things I never thought of (raw veggies, lettuce, vinegars) were literally making my stomach puff out and contributing to serious brain fog. I loved the scientific aspect of it (no “guessing” what works with an elimination diet) and once you KNOW the truth about your own body, it’s so much easier to avoid certain things. Plus they give you enzymes to help you digest certain foods that really help. I truly can not say enough about it. Oh, and I found reading the False Fat Diet really opened my eyes to food intolerances and how they can contribute to so many more maladies than we realize (in case you want to check that out). Totally email me if you need any more info – I’ve been sharing this with so many of my friends because there are SO MANY intolerances out there and a lot of people experience this. Good luck. I’ve just begun my journey to healing as well and I’m so looking forward to the rest of it.

Janna November 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Any more info? I guess that program costs money? What about something with zero money? Literally zero?

LC November 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, yes, it costs money. Out of pocket and not cheap. You can start with a blood test at your dr. which is probably covered by insurance and free. Not as detailed, but a good start. Then you can do an elimination diet starting with the most common offenders. There’s a lot of free information about this type of thing online. Search food intolerances.

Janetha November 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thank you for this info, LC. I think I need to get this testing done FOR SURE.

Jaclyn @thejaxoflife October 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I have VERY similar issues…I, too, have been tested for celiacs and all that fun stuff and they keep finding nothing. I try to avoid greasy food as much as possible because that multiplies my problems by a zillion…I also keep tums, pepcid and gasx on hand at all times…you’re not alone! ;)

Janna November 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Oh my God Janetha! THis is EXACTLY like me! I have a lazy colon and my body severely hugs gas. I get severe stitches, double-over cramping, everything. I’ve tried everything.

PLEASE> any tips for an excellent breakfast, snacks, meals that might help this?? Something…what helps u to avoid it. Gas-x is my go-to…but its mostly just a psychological thing cause it does nothing but empty my wallet of 8 bucks.

Janetha November 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Unfortunately what one person can eat is so different than the next person. I think trial and error is your best bet!

Kimberly November 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

Janetha,
I am getting this procedure done tomorrow and am a little nervous/excited. Nervous about the procedure and it’s findings and excited to *hopefully* get to the bottom of the issue. I literally have the same issues as you mentioned and have tried everything in the book. This is my last hope to getting an answer. Do you have any advice for tomorrow or in general about stomach issues and prep? The doctor who referred me to get the colonoscopy said he thinks I have a slow colon and it simply isn’t doing what it is suppose to when it is suppose to. I have been on a gluten-free diet since March 2010 and have had quite a bit of relief from it- the bloating has gone down tremendously and my energy is higher than ever.

Please check out my post when I started discussing my issues leading up to this point http://sunnystateofmind.com/?p=5714.

Thanks for posting this. It is hard to put your life out there for everyone to judge, but you just never know who you might help with your story :)

P.S. I am currently fasting for tomorrow- I am starving and started drooling over the talk of a grilled cheese…yum.

janetha November 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hey Kimberly! Sorry, I am behind on life. How did the procedure go?? That’s my problem–colon inertia. Apparently it is really common now that I have been researching it. I think I need to figure out what foods make me the least bloated and stick with them. I haven’t experimented with elimination yet.

I will check out your post now–again, sorry for the delay!

Calee November 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Yikes. Glad I came here too. I’ve had bloating like that before … like to the point that it feels like your skin is going to rip in two along the sides of your gut. :/ I seriously hope you find some solution.

Cynthia March 6, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and was surprised to see your before-and-after photos and how similar they look to mine. I normally have a very flat abdomen (if not concave) with har earned definition (lots of working out) and inevitably by early afternoon and most certainly evening, I am distended to about seven or eight months pregnant looking. I have seen every conceivable specialist there is the last calendar year with nothing but normal test results. Leaky Gut Syndrome is the most I’ve been able to identify with so far. I wish you the best if luck!

Snenny May 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hi Janetha,

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this out there on the big ol’ interwebs <3 it's inspiring to see someone deal with it with heart and humour, and to know that There are other people who are undergoing the same issues. I have the exact same problem – extreme distension in my stomach and gut! I wake up with a flat stomach (unless it's been so distended the day before that it hasn't fully deflated overnight) and go to bed looking ready to burst. Very depressing when I eat healthily and have tried everything I can to get to the bottom of the issue :( just always get told "it's IBS". Have you been checked for SIBO/candida? It may also be worth looking into a FODMAP diet – it was created to reduce fermentable foods (the ones that create this kind of gas and painful distension) to great the gut.

Hope you get answers and feel better soon. If you feel comfortable continuing to post about it, hearing about your experiences has already been very helpful.

Xoxo

Janetha May 5, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks for your comment! I actually did find a solution and feel SO much better now!