LA trip: everything in between.

by Janetha on October 12, 2011

in fun with friends,travel

pssst.. i have a guest post up on the edible perspective today! pretzel covered caramel apples! check it out.

SO.. i have covered both the meals and the moves from my LA trip.. now it’s time to show you all the other stuff! this will be long and photo-heavy. enjoy!

friday.

on friday after our workout, deb & i met eden so we could stroll venice beach.

it’s official, i fit right in on venice beach. i loved it! the people watching, the art, the random shops, the street performers.. it was so entertaining.

IMG_5400 IMG_5401IMG_5408

i bought a cute owl ring for a cool $2.50 from my buddy, camouflage..

..he informed me that i could get one piece of jewelry for $2.50 OR.. wait for it.. TWO FOR $5! what a bargain. deb called him out on his math, but he was pretty confused.

look, zoltar! i LOVE big.

i was a little underwhelmed when i saw that there weren’t many body builders hitting the weights at muscle beach, but eden & deb made up for it with some posing.

it’s too bad we had already worked out, because i really had my heart set on pumping some iron with this guy:

yes, he’s wearing boxer briefs. ow, ow!

after our late lunch on friday, we headed to my favorite place to visit when in california…

oh, utah, why don’t you get a trader joe’s?

i stocked up on all my favorites and then there was a casualty in the parking lot…

FYI.. trader joe’s is NOT responsible. you can’t sue, deb.

saturday.

before the blogger picnic on saturday, deb showed me around chinatown and olvera street.

IMG_5524 IMG_5527 IMG_5530 IMG_5535 IMG_5537

we wandered over to the train station.

union station is beautiful! they did a great job of preserving a lot of the old interior.. i felt like i went back in time!

IMG_5548 IMG_5550 IMG_5555 IMG_5556 IMG_5558

after our sight-seeing stint, we headed over to the famous philippe’s to pick up sandwiches for the blogger picnic. yes, we cheated! deb has been going to philippe’s since she was in her mother’s womb.. i was so excited to try the french dip sandwiches!

the interior is totally old school. order and pay at the counter, penny candy, sawdust floors…

IMG_5569 IMG_5493 IMG_5505 IMG_5499

for you bountiful, utah folks—it reminded me EXACTLY of service drug! don’t you miss that place?!

we had fun acting like 12 year olds.

look! deb only weighs 20 pounds.

IMG_5497IMG_5494

we ended up with a (super affordable and huge) box of food to go!

philppe’s sandwiches were AMAZING. we took pork and lamb ones to the blogger picnic and they were a total hit. the pickled eggs, pickles and coleslaw were all really good, too.

welp.. that’s all the “in betweens” i have for you. i haven’t eaten any food since monday night and my brain is officially mush, so i can’t think of any catchy ending to this post OR any fun questions to go along with it. oh well. i hope i make it to tomorrow.. (FYI: i’ve got a colonoscopy in the morning. that’s why i am not eating food.)

check ya later!

Erin October 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

You were at my Trader Joe’s!!! (There’s only one TJ’s in LA that’s attached to a Walgreen’s and I would recognize that rooftop parking lot anywhere) I might have freaked out if I had bumped into you there so, for your sake, be thankful you went when you did! :)

Eden October 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm

whoa! I go to that one all the time! We should meet up!

Erin October 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

Let’s do it!! We can hit up one of the food trucks that parks outside and takes up two valuable spaces (I really hate the roof top parking lot…). Or, we could repeatedly go by the sample booth in the back.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Looks like a great trip :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Love these pics! Can’t believe Deb actually laid down on the road – that’s my girl – all for the sake of the joke!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I feel that one can’t boost one’s immunity without exposing oneself to a great number of germs. :-)

Eden October 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I second what deb said! But deb DOES wash her produce unlike me…

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews October 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I love the guy in the boxer briefs lol

Jen@foodfamilyfitness October 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’m still laughing at the guy in the boxer briefs.

The Delicate Place October 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm

good luck tomorrow! that muscle gym looks like so much fun! janetha. if you ever make it to pittsburgh i have an ice cream place that looks like philippe’s. it’s amazing!!

Abby October 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm

The massage sign freaked me out, as it made it sound like there were 10 random legless feet just down the road. Then again, a stop at the pot shop before going there might not turn shoppers away.

Anyway, I think Deb should sue Trader Joe’s so she can own a couple–placing one in Utah by you and one in Michigan for me. Of course we would both run our stores–not just shop there–and Deb will become our Queen.

I’ve had two colonoscopies in my life and the prep is worse than bikini boxer brief guy featured above. Stay strong, my friend…

Lauren October 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Haha, I was actually thinking the same thing when we visited Venice beach. I expected to see WAY more body builders.

lindsay October 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm

i love venice beach. Such great people watching, thats for sure! Eden, you’ve got some guns. Deb, i thought you looked extra light in those pictures. Must be that marjiuana doc!

Eden October 12, 2011 at 11:00 pm

My guns come from the few bicep curls I squeeze in when I blow dry my hair. So yea, you can tell how much I love exercise….

lindsay October 13, 2011 at 6:41 am

hey if you got ’em without trying, thats even more impressive. Keep up the blow drying…..your hair that is.
;)

Kerryne October 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Seriously, hilarious. boxer briefs? wow… I was laughing out loud at this post. Good luck in the morning, I hope they figure out what is going on with you girl! Hugs!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I cant even imagine how long it takes you to post all these pics…my hat is off to you!

and yes, saw your caramel apple post on A’s site already. YUM

Zoltar and Big. That just brought me back about 20 yrs. Thanks for the memories :)

What a great time with the girls and all the fun sights. And TJ’s. Glad you scored.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Great pics! Loved the guest post too btw :D

Missy October 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

The shopping cart drive-by picture is priceless! Ther’s just something about those buggys- Eden got into one last time!
It just all looked so fun – we have a Union station where I live but i guess they copied that one. Still, it is beautiful.
Hang in, I know those preps are rough – just plan your 9 course meal for tomorrow night!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

The “in betweens” were the best part! :) It sounds like such a fun trip. Love old school places like that. And score on that bargain! Can’t beat that 2 for $5 deal. haha!

dana @ my little celebration October 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm

What a BLAST. Thanks or sharing! Hope everyone survived the parking lot casualty. lol.

Eden October 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Even though Deb was lying on the floor and it was me pushing the cart, I’m usually a parking lot casualty cause I suck at parking. Actually, I suck at everything.

Angela Yates October 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Good luck tomorrow!

Tamara @ The Stretch Jean Incident October 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Fun times! I hear ya on the lack of hot Trader Joe action. Colorado doesn’t them either, so I have to stock up in New Mexico :(

Krissie J October 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Good luck with your procedure tomorrow! I love all of the pics. It captures your visit so well.

Erica October 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

So fun!! Tjs is so rockin. And that man in the boxer briefs? Hotness! Take it easy girl!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 12, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I don’t know if I LOLd through this whole post because I was there or because you are freakin’ hilarious in your story-telling. All I know is whenever I need a confidence boost I’m going to Philippes for my weigh-in :-)

LA and all your friends here miss you dearly.

Good luck colonoscopy twin- I’ll be done with mine by 9- can’t wait to eat something other than puke green jello. :-P

Eden October 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm

good luck, you two! For the first time in my life, I am not envious of either of you.

lindsay October 13, 2011 at 6:43 am

dude, i am having mine next week. We should have all gone in together. You think I am kidding, but I”m not.
;P

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We should have finagled a group rate! :-D

marisa October 13, 2011 at 12:29 am

When I went on my roommate trip in the mid-90s, Muscle Beach was totally full of people! I wonder where they went? I thought Service Drug was actually Servus Drug. It does look like it! It looks fun and I can’t wait for you to explore Sandy Eggo. Love you and hope it goes well tomorrow!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 13, 2011 at 2:38 am

It was so much fun to see you again! I’m glad you enjoyed LA!

I’m SUPER fond of Philippes! It was the first meal I had in LA after moving in with my roommates. They took me out to it and I fell in love.

OH! I meant to ask you at the picnic! Please don’t think we’re obnoxious, but Sophia and I were wondering if you’d heard of the musical “The Book of Mormon,” and if so, what you think about it. Haha, we are weird.

Janetha October 20, 2011 at 11:33 am

i have heard of it but never been to it!

cathy October 13, 2011 at 6:03 am

hang in there, j – i’m thinking of you!!
i would LOVE to visit venice beach. and the goofy photos are awesome. much better photo memories than the usual sightseers’ pictures!
and i’m with you: trader joe’s, why don’t you come to canada??!

Becs in Britain October 13, 2011 at 6:34 am

Good luck for today hun – hope it goes as well as can be expected, and I’m sure your brain will de-mush pretty quickly afterwards! x

katie October 13, 2011 at 6:57 am

Thinking of you today , I hope this all gets solved soon, sending you love : )

Oh Venice Beach is def a place to go to people watch, haha! Been there a couple times!

Great pics from the trip!

xoxo <3

Emily M October 13, 2011 at 7:48 am

Wishing you all the best today, and a few laughs!

After all, laughter is the best medicine!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 13, 2011 at 7:57 am

Looks like such a fun trip! The picture of the guy at Venice beach is too much! Working out in boxer briefs? Haha!

Good luck with your procedure today :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 13, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love your crazy adventures- especially at the beginning of the post! Are you going to list your Trader Joes essentials? I’m very curious to know what you buy since you barely get to shop there!
And hang in there- good luck with the colonoscopy.

Sami October 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

you ladies sure know how to make this girl jealous! all those fun adventures together are giving me a case of the green monster (and i don’t mean the drink ;)).

xo.

Kim @ The Family Practice October 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love the guy “camoflauge” – oh venice beach, I miss you. My first time there, I will never forget. I was only about 10 or 11 – sitting on the beach with my dad, a man walked by us wearing nothing other than a pink and white feathered headress. There were two feathers dangling low enough to cover (sort of) his man-bits. Pretty sure that was my first penis sighting. Memorable indeed.

holly October 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

ugh, sooooo jealousssssssss…

Julia October 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Love your boots! where did you buy ? :) you should show us the owl ring as well! lol

Janetha October 20, 2011 at 11:34 am

target! i will snap a photo soon.

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs October 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Awe you pretty much had the best LA trip ever! You hit up all the hot spots!

Fun fact: I lived in Cali for 23 years and was only at Union Station ONCE for 3 hours waiting for a train and every electronic I had died and they don’t have working outlets. It was intense.

I think we need to start a “Bring Trader Joes to Utah” petition or something. I feel like it may be that they don’t wnat to have to reorg the stores because of the different liquor laws. But seriously it needs to happen. It’s the number one thing I miss about Cali (besides my family and friends… and disneyland…)

Christin October 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Awww LOVE Venice Beach! I haven’t been in a couple years…I wonder if AArdvark’s is still there? It’s this amazing clothing store where you buy sell and trade…anyways, I remember there not being very many people working out at Muscle Beach when I was there either, but considering the outfits, perfhaps that’s for the better! lol

sounds like you had a great time! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yes, Aardvark’s is still there. there used to be one on Melrose too. Haven’t been in years.

Cassy October 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm

i LOVE Venice!
I love living 30 minutes away from it. Such a rad place to go on a afternoon with nothing to do.

and i LOVE philippe’s! its a holiday tradition place to go for my family.

elise October 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm

sad i missed it. good luck on the colonoscopy!

Biz October 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Looks like fun times! Love TJ’s – I always get the frozen orange chicken – tastes just like take out!

Errign October 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

first of all, would you like to come to asheville and make me a pretzel covered apple? I’ll trade you honeycrisps from the farmer’s market…

secondly, I hope you’ve had some completely delicious food by now!

Susan October 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I’m glad you had such a good trip!

I hope your colonoscopy went well today. Wow, that felt weird to type.

lynn @ the actor's diet October 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm

those sammies were so freaking good. i have to get my ass to philippe’s sometime soon!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 14, 2011 at 11:58 am