takeout tuesday.

by Janetha on September 27, 2011

in eating out,meals

i had big plans for tonight’s post.

enchiladas.

not just any enchiladas.

red ones.

100% of the time, i make green enchiladas. i know, i am missing out on 50% of the enchilada excitement available.  tonight, i was going to change all that.

this morning, i put two chicken breasts into my crock pot along with some salsa and red enchilada sauce so they could slow cook on low while i was at work. marshall had a relatively short day today and i knew he could turn the crock pot off once he got home and the chicken would be ready for me to shred after the gym. (it was hard to refrain from making a punny joke about shredding at the gym then shredding the chicken afterward…)

anyway, around 3 PM i received a horrible, awful, no good, very bad photo from marshall.

yeah. that’s my chicken. we had a brief exchange of sad texts…

sigh.

luckily, i had another pair of chicken breasts in the fridge (hooray for costco!) and so i reverted to plan B.

marshall & i were at the gym at the same time today, but he left before me (since i had to do 30 minutes of dreaded cardio—ugh) and so i asked him to boil the chicken breasts so i could shred them right when i got home.

i got home from the gym, showered and headed to the kitchen to shred the chicken.  one look at the shriveled chicken breasts told me he’d boiled them a wee bit too long. one taste of the dry, rubbery chicken told me he’d boiled them more than a wee bit too long.

penny and randy thought the chicken tasted juuuust fine, mind you. hey, can’t let it go to waste, right?

so, there we were, hungry and chickenless. the only four chicken breasts in the house had all been ruined—two by me and two by marshall. he tried to apologize, but i wouldn’t let him. i told him that we’re even.

it was already 8 o’clock by this time, so plan C involved the car, the debit card and food prepared by someone other than me or marshall—clearly we were struggling.

chipotle is the only place we ever grab takeout from. we live in a smallish town with limited options (aside from typical fast food joints) and chipotle is the one restaurant marshall & i both like. plus, their menu items try to be as local and/or organic as possible and their meat is all humanely raised, so we feel good about eating it.

i was super pleased to see that chipotle now has brown rice! i usually skip the rice and load up on the beans & fajita veggies, but this time i got half brown rice, half fajita veggies, black beans, chicken (that was not charred or dry, mind you), a pile of guacamole (theirs is the best, right?), lettuce, pico and then i added some greek yogurt on top when i got home.

i must have been incredibly hungry, because this is the first time i have ever been able to polish off the entire burrito bowl.

along with my fair share of chips—their chips are addicting. marshall threw half the bag away when we were done eating and then pulled it back out of the trash because we couldn’t stop eating them.

well—that’s all I’ve got! since my original recipe post was foiled, you get takeout tuesday. when i lived in london i got a huge kick out of the term “takeaway” instead of “takeout”. not only does it sound more fun, it makes more sense! i think that the takeaway term needs to catch on in the U S of A.

and if that’s not enough alliteration for you, please head over to lindsay’s blog and check out this week’s core workout for tuesday trainer! i submitted a side bend video and there are also a bunch of other fun moves to try out to strengthen your core.

click the button!

well.. i gotta go. i am baking cookies for the second time this week. sunday night i made a chewy version of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (recipe to come) and tonight i am making biscoff oatmeal cookies from maria’s blog.

1. where did you last snag takeout from/what did you order?

2. do you prefer dining at restaurants or getting your meal to go?

Jessica@ Healthy Dairyland September 27, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I LOVE take-out. Eating at home in my pjs is much more enjoyable than sitting at a restaurant. Lately, I’ve been eating a lot of Jimmy Johns, but that’s mostly because I live in the middle of nowhere and have few options. I wish I still lived in a city with a Chipotle!

Bonnie September 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Takeaway Tuesday! Trainer Tuesday! …I love alliterations. :) Sad about the (multiple) chicken fiascoes – I liked reading how you told Marshall no worries, we’re even now. ;)

My last takeaway meal was a cone at McDonald’s after our Sunday summit of Mt. Temple, while my last real takeaway meal was probably the Pita Pit – a huge, delicious salad chock-full of toppings. I love when places don’t charge extra and load it up! Love Chipotle but they don’t have it here (something close called Mucho Burrito but it’s not nearly as good, fresh, or local). Generally I like sitting down to a meal because we don’t go out too often; makes it special.

…always enjoy reading about your day! I check your site too often, probably, and love to see a new post. Wish we lived closer! :D Have a relaxing night. Adios!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 28, 2011 at 12:00 am

I LOVE Chipotle. I got a burrito bowl for the first time when I went last, but nothing compares to the tortillas. Ahhhh, they’re so good! I don’t even need fillings… just a few tortillas.

Katheryn September 28, 2011 at 12:04 am

Mmm. I love Chipotle. We definitely prefer bringing food home to eat. Pop in a movie and that’s called date night around here.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 28, 2011 at 12:06 am

Oh boy, this brings back bad memories of the same thing happening to my husband and me. I was majorly looking forward to some BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches one day. So I got everything prepared in the Crock Pot, turned it on low, and asked my husband to turn it off when he got home (since he was getting home earlier than me that day). He came home to rock hard, black chicken breasts. I was so sad! That night concluded with Chinese takeout. ;)

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie September 28, 2011 at 12:08 am

Ugh! I hate when my dinner doesn’t work out. I use Chipotle’s guac as a salad dressing its so tasty!
Loved the core video, and Bonnie’s was insane!

Katie September 28, 2011 at 12:11 am

We are just like you! Our smallish town has no restaurant options…Chipotle is the only place we ever get take out from. Well, Meeker sometimes grabs Taco Bell, but jointly, it’s always Chipotle.

Also, I LOVE restaurants. We never go – but I love the experience of eating out.

Candice September 28, 2011 at 12:50 am

We had crockpot chicken tonight! you should of just come over ;)
Chipotle is amazing!

We don’t eat out very much.. we last went to olive garden and it was terrible.. I’m really picky about the quality of food.. but if we do its to go. Babes can be tough in the restaurant.

Elaine September 28, 2011 at 1:51 am

chipotle is awesome! i haven’t been in a while, but i’m excited about the brown rice.

i’ve made shredded chicken twice in the past few weeks (1st and 2nd times ever) and i used this recipe for the chicken:

i only made the chicken part, not the rest of it, so i can’t speak to that, but the chicken is great and easy and the boyfriend has put it on the “make again” list.

looking forward to those pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. yum, pumpkin anything!

Jen September 28, 2011 at 2:03 am

Crazy! I had the exact same thing for lunch. I was so excited when I saw they had brown rice because their rice seriously is my favorite.

Erica September 28, 2011 at 2:53 am

Oh mAn!! Someone was trying to tell yoy, you deserve a night off!! I prefer to dine out if we are grabbing food. Chipotles guac and chips are amazing

Jessica Lee September 28, 2011 at 3:16 am

i always worry that the slow cooker would fail. now i know it actually happens!

i love dining in but sometimes i like to take it home so i can add my own shizzle to it :)

cathy September 28, 2011 at 5:57 am

i love the term “takeaway,” too, and also “flat” instead of apartment.
sorry about your dinner! kind of funny, though, that both attempts turned out…not so well. you were destined to have chipotle! we don’t have that resto here, nor have i ever had biscoff spread…looking forward to seeing your recipe!
i have “dreaded weights” on my workout plan for this a.m.; would much rather do more cardio!!

Lauren September 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

Good plan B! Chipotle is my favorite place for take out but the closest one around here is 25 min away. Still worth the drive though.
Miss you girl!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 28, 2011 at 8:08 am

ugh, i totally feel your pain on the chicken front…sometimes it just doesn’t work! we actually do like takeout but most of the time i just want to eat so i scarf it down at the restaurant!

Sami September 28, 2011 at 8:33 am

I’ve literally been brought to tears before when recipes don’t work out…usually, it’s when I’m starvin marvin and was really looking forward to the meal, but still. haha.

Chipotle saved the day! Tonight is Jarid & I’s takeout night. He suggested The Wild Tomato, where we got the best Whole Wheat pizza EVER.

xo.

Kerryne September 28, 2011 at 8:51 am

Mmmmmmmm…. me so hungry! That burrito bowl look delish. I very rarely eat out, but if I do it is usually cafe rio, or of the like and I usually get a burrito bowl or salad! Don’t feel bad, I ruin meals on a regular basic. I mean it. I need to take cooking classes.

Clare @ Fitting It All In September 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

Chipotle has brown rice? That is the best news i’ve ever heard! I hope it’s nation wide:)

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 28, 2011 at 9:21 am

I had no idea that Chipotle has brown rice now! That is awesome!

The last place I got takeout from was Bertucci’s. I prefer dining at restaurants rather than taking it out. I feel like the food tastes better if you eat it at the restaurant.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) September 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

Chipotle is my go-to takeout as well! We also have an awesome vegetarian chain nearby our house we grab from as well, but a Chipotle vegetarian salad with black beans, no cheese or sour cream and extra guac is my alltime fave “fast-food” :)

xo

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

Leave it to a man to screw up chicken. :)

I LOVE CHIPOTLE. It is pretty much also the only place I will get take-out from also (well, the only chain restaurant anyway). It’s really nice to have a place like that to depend on.
I tried it years ago and got a burrito and didn’t like it. Then I saw the owner on Oprah talking about the company’s values and gave it another shot (taco salad this time). Now I’m a big fan! I always get a salad, with whatever meat looks best that day. I like carnitas the best- oh- and you have to get the fajita veggies on it too. Makes all the difference.

Danielle C. September 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

I have a Chipotle within walking distance of me, it is dangerous! So glad to hear they have brown rice now, hopefully mine does too. :)

I usually get Chipotle or Thai takeout from the thai place in my apartment building. But there is also Five Guys, and every once in awhile a burger and fries sound soooo good.

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free September 28, 2011 at 10:10 am

I hate it when the red sauce burns! I usually make mime by poaching chicken in water with half an onion, smashed garlic cloves, and a bay leaf until it is just shy of being done. Then I shred and season with chili powder, salt, and pepper, and add a little sauce to it. So yummy!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

Would have thought Marshall would be better with handling breasts….

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 28, 2011 at 11:36 am

I think cooking is like running – every meal can’t be perfect! :) I haven’t eaten at Chipotle in ages, sounds like a delicious plan C.

mary @ what's cookin with mary September 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Last night was a take out night. Actually, it was delivery (Yay!). The only place we order from, except for the occasional veggie pizza from round table is from this Greek place called Chicken Dijon. We love almost everything on the menu and it’s relatively healthy. I usually get the Greek Salad with Gyro meat, but last night I was feeling the white meat chicken with steamed veggies and falafel. SO good.

delivery > take out > eating in the restaurant (unless I like the atmosphere and want to get out of the house, which is rare… we are borderline hermits ;) )

Christin September 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

ooo sorry about your chicken! I hate that when that happens! I am always scared to use my crockpot because of that :(

On the other hand, Chipotle is delicious, so maybe it was just meant to be! :) Great idea using greek yogurt instead of sour cream…gonna hafta try that…

too embarrased to admit online where I last snagged takeout (lol), but I will say that when I dine out, I do love to dine there if I can…it’s always fun to enjoy the atmosphere…that being said, if there is no real atmosphere, (i.e. screaming kids, too much noise, etc) then I’m happy to take it home ;)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am in LOVE with SmashBurger. we just got one here in brooklyn. The veggie fries are my love.

emily September 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

1. Moes; which is like Chipotle but better because you have more choices.
2. Dine-in! Once I’m paying the money I’d rather get the experience too. Though some foods I only want to eat at home and purchase out; like nachos!

SheFit September 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I’m sad to hear that your enchiladas didn’t turn out… it just sounds like it wasn’t meant to be. But chipotle is always a great alternative… and super excited that they have brown rice. I must go soon!

Errign September 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Depends where I am, but I do enjoy both takeaway and sitting down in restaurants…and the last place I went was the whole foods hot bar…so exciting haha.

Kerryne September 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for you sweet comments on my blog girl! I have a confession to make. I saw you once, at the gym… you were in a conversation with someone and I was running late for a class. I wanted to come RUNNING up to you like a crazy person, but also didn’t want to appear to be a “crazy person”… ha ha ha! I promise next time I see you I WILL be that loony :)

Lindsay @ Schnoodle Soup September 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Bah! I’m sorry, but that chicken photo made me laugh aloud…haha. I’ve totally done it. Worst!

Melaina September 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I ate the best rosemary chicken salad today at Lofte’s Pizzeria, it had capers on it and I believe everything tastes better with capers!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Chipotle=love. I wish I had one around here. I rarely eat out much anymore with the exception of my favorite little cafe in town called Tru Cafe. They have a different homemade soup daily, great sandwiches and wraps, and other small meals like salads and hummus + pita. They try to use as much organic product as possible and they also have a lot of whole grain baked goodies for special occassions. And kombucha! #win :)

momma b. September 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Well I shouldn’t laugh at your misfortune but your way of writing just tickled my funny bone (although it was not a funny situation)!

Let’s see we probably got something from Pei Wei. Most of the time I prefer to bring it home – I’m getting older and lazier I guess!

xoxo

Beth @ Beth's Journey September 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

hahaha i love this post.

1.) you and marshall are adorable. i love the text exchange. sigh.
2.) i LOVE the term takeaway. I’m going to try to get it to catch on too. We can do this.

BroccoliHut September 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Seth and I grabbed some takeout last weekend from McAlister’s Deli. I got my usual vegetarian chili and baked potato :)

Heather September 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

My favourite dinner disaster was when I melted a plastic cutting board on an element on the stove and we had to go out for dinner because of the toxic fumes:)

Amanda September 28, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Chipotle is one of the only takeaway places near us too. But Andy is NOT a fan. Boo for me.

I hate when dinner gets botched somehow. Drives me bonkers.

Marie September 29, 2011 at 7:01 am

Whoa! This post had my husband and I in tears. I know it’s not funny, just the picture, the way you worded things, and the texts. ;)

Houston is known for the food so we have a lot of restaurants here but always end up going to the same places. The last place we had was Subways, on our way back from our Destin trip, though. We always prefer takeout to dining in.

Have a wonderful day, Janetha!

sarah September 29, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love take out simply because you can go back home in your PJ’s and watch a movie while eating. That rarely happens in my house.. but it never hurts to pretend right? ;) Chipotle is a pretty good place to fall back on! Unfortunately, I’d have to drive 30 minutes to get to the closest one. The avocado is essential!

Cait's Plate September 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

Costco makes the world a better place, doesn’t it!? ;)

1. My last take out order was from a salad place by my work (we also have a Chipolte there, now I wish I had gotten that!)

2. I like both dining in restaurants AND take out – totally depends on my mood, how tired I am and whether or not it’s nice out!

Holly September 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Love that Marshall added that ‘it smells like crap.’ Hahaha :)
& I love Chipotle- it’s probably my favorite take out too. Their guac is definitely the best out there- love it because they have tons of garlic in it. yum!
Oh, by the way, I watched the workout from Lindsay & tried your side bends on the Bosu yesterday morning & oh man what a difference doing it on the Bosu ball makes! I used to just do them standing all of the time and never really noticed it..but today I’m actually feeling it in my abs- thanks for the idea :) & I’m dying to hear more about this shaking machine- what in the world does it do???

Lara September 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I had no idea about Chipotle’s brown rice! Thanks for the FYI–that is exactly what I will be ordering the next time I visit :)

Sent a little something in the mail to you yesterday :)

FoodCents October 1, 2011 at 10:54 am

Did the serving size seems smaller at Chipolte? I had a Chipolte bowl, last week & the serving size seemed much smaller & I was able to eat the whole thing (not common). Just wondering if they are pairing down their serving sizes or if it was a fluke. I can usually get two meals out of a bowl, but this baby was about 1/2 the size.

Janetha October 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Dude. Now that you mention it.. I think maybe they did seem smaller. You may be right!

Kristinah October 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Just fell in love with your blog! Holey Cheese! You are too cute and way fun! Yea! I am so glad someone pinned your “protein frosty” recipe to Pinterest!! :)

Janetha October 4, 2011 at 11:59 am

YES! I am stoked you found my blog–thanks for leaving a comment and I hope you stick around!!