wedding season.

by Janetha on September 26, 2011

in fun with friends,love life

i thought “wedding season” typically fell sometime in the summer. june, july.. you know. turns out, september 2011 is THE PRIME TIME to get married!

as you know, i have already attended one wedding and one bachelorette party this month (and i missed another bachelorette party because it was in vegas and i couldn’t swing it) and this weekend doubled the fun with another wedding and another bachelorette party! there is one more wedding this coming friday to tie out the wedding-filled month of september.

i am going to break my weekend recap into two posts—there is WAY to much to pack into a single post. i know you may be sick of all these life-casting posts.. but when there is a lot going on, i have to life cast! i promise there will be recipes and regular rambles again soon. swear.

the festivities started on friday with jessica & simon’s wedding. they chose to have their wedding at memory grove in the heart of salt lake city. i LOVE memory grove. marshall & i had quite a few of our own wedding photos taken there, including our family photo with the pups. memory grove is dog-friendly, so there were dogs all over the place when we arrived for the ceremony. awesome.

i visited jessica in the bridal room before she walked down the aisle. she was stunning (no surprise) and wasn’t a bit nervous. she was ready to seal the deal.IMG_4766

the ceremony was held outside. it was a gorgeous day—blue skies and warm sunshine. the scene couldn’t have been more perfect for these two.

jessica and simon (who is from england) met randomly (and briefly) in an internet café in jamaica while simon was living there and jess was vacationing. simon came to utah to snowboard and they fell in love. isn’t that so flipping romantic? i am so happy they found each other!

after the ceremony there was a large gap of time while the wedding party took photos, so kristen, rory, marshall and i headed to luna berry to escape the heat and cool off.

i got a plain frozen yogurt with strawberries.

marshall got a dark chocolate & strawberry crepe…

…and a mango smoothie with boba.

have you guys tried boba? they are huge balls of tapioca. they are amazing! this was my first time trying them and i had a hard time not hogging marshall’s whole drink—i am definitely hooked on boba.

we headed back to memory grove for the reception.

look who i ran into!

my parents paid the bride & groom a visit at the beginning of the night. i am glad they were able to come and wish jessica & simon congratulations.

the food at the reception was as appealing to the eye as it was to the taste buds—check out this awesome fruit display:

in addition to the fruit, there were a dozen types of cheese, crackers, chicken skewers, bacon wrapped steak, white bean crostini and probably more stuff that i can’t think of right now.

jessica & simon didn’t have booze at their wedding, but they did have a really unique create-your-own italian soda bar that i was ridiculously excited about.

so many syrups!

after selecting a flavor, the barista combined the syrup with soda and cream creating a delicious made-to-order sparkling beverage. i had peach.. no surprise there.

IMG_4839IMG_4837IMG_4840IMG_4843

the biggest hit (culinarily speaking—and apparently i made up the term “culinarily” just now because windows live writer is giving me the red squiggly line) was the huge selection of miniature cupcakes. there were so many flavors!

i made sure to sample every kind. coconut was my favorite, then key lime, then peanut butter, then carrot cake, then red velvet. i know you were curious.

the reception was so much fun! there was cake cutting, dancing (not me), bouquet tossing and lots of great memories made.

IMG_4863IMG_4832IMG_4854IMG_4859IMG_4860IMG_4862

the newlyweds left in a horse-drawn carriage. SO perfect!

congrats, jessica & simon. i love you guys.

be back next time with a recap of lindsay’s bachelorette party.

Jen September 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

i love luna berry! they have the best crepes!

Anne September 26, 2011 at 3:41 am

You don’t have to answer, but why wasn’t there alcohol at the reception?

Janetha September 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

I don’t mind answering! Alcohol wasn’t important to them. Additionally, the bride’s family is LDS and she didn’t want to serve alcohol out of respect for them.

I didn’t have alcohol at my wedding, either. It was partially out of respect for my LDS family, but also because Marshall has never been drunk a day in his life and I drink very rarely now, so we didn’t have booze. There was no reason to pay for the wedding guests to drink alcohol when we didn’t want to drink it ourselves.

jessiker October 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I decided not to have alcohol mainly because my parents don’t drink and since they have so much support for my lifestyle I decided to respect theirs. Also, we looked into having some alcohol, but turns out the laws are super hard to get around in Utah without paying a fortune, so we decided it was a cost that wasn’t a priority in our budget.
Looking back, I do now wish that we would have had some champagne, but it didn’t stop us from sneaking in our own :)
Also it was a daytime event, so we didn’t want a party vibe.

Erica September 26, 2011 at 5:06 am

How fun!! The food at the reception looks awesome- especially the fruit. Glad yall had a nice time

cathy September 26, 2011 at 6:41 am

personally, i LOVE when you share about personal life events and special times with friends and family!
that is such a cool story about how simon and jessica met – pretty unique!

Lauren September 26, 2011 at 6:46 am

Funny, because it seems like there are a lot of fall weddings this year. This one was beautiful though! Love the idea of an Italian Soda bar.
I’ve never had Baba but in Russian, that is what you call grandma. :) I’ll have to tell my Baba she is also known as an amazing dessert in Utah. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 26, 2011 at 7:16 am

What a beautiful wedding!

And, I tagged you as a dancer. I’m surprised you don’t bust a move.

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

i love the italian soda idea…SO cute!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 26, 2011 at 8:32 am

When talking when vendors for my own wedding, they said that September has become one of the most popular months for weddings! It’s crazy! I’m glad that I didn’t choose that month. Haha ;)

That wedding looks beautiful! I love the horse drawn carriage! It looks like a fairytale :)

Ty September 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

I had a choose your own italian soda bar at my wedding! And 10 flavors of cupcakes instead of a cake too.

No horsedrawn carriage though. Hehe.

Such a cute couple and such a pretty wedding!

SweatyGirl September 26, 2011 at 10:05 am

What a gorgeous bride! Just stunning!
If I ever got married, I would not have alcohol either, and I am VERY surprised at how averse people are to the idea. Happy to see a beautiful alcohol-free reception… people look like they still had just as much fun! :-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 26, 2011 at 10:18 am

That’s such a romantic falling in love story! It’s like the stuff you think only happens in the movies. Everything looked gorgeous at the wedding!

momma b. September 26, 2011 at 10:22 am

Beautiful day for such a beautiful/handsome couple!!

xo

Ali Mc September 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

looks like yum & fun…love the pic of Marshall :D

Amanda September 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm

That is so cute! (How they met. Love that story!)

um a key lime cupcake? Holy shit. I want to try that.

I have 3 weddings to go to in October-November. Definitely not what I thought wedding season was but I’ll take it.

Toronto Girl West September 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I had never heard that called a boba – where I come from it’s referred to as bubble tea. And I had my fair share in High School – that’s what happens when everyone else in the orchestra (yup, I was one of those kids) is from Hong Kong. You end up at Chinese malls drinking bubble tea! :P

Liz @ Southern Charm September 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Just beautiful!

Eizabeth @ reads recipes runs September 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

What an adorable wedding! I love to go walking in Memory Grove and I always think about how nice of a venue it would be :)

I LOVE the soda bar idea! So cute and unique.

And seriously Luna Berry’s creps are pretty amazing… Nutella and banana? Don’t mind if I do!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice September 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Boba/bubble tea is awesome! They are gummy bears in your drink and I love the colorful giant straws you drink them with. I was afraid of them at first and would just take one or two for my bf. And then, I got hooked too.

the delicate place September 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

love weddings! my bro is getting married next sept! i got married nearly 4 years ago in october :) love their story! she looks so gorgeous! really love how natural and organic the floral stuff is as well. i hate ‘funeral esque looking arrangements’ creeps me out!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Have you ever crashed a wedding before?? Always wanted to and almost had Travis talked into it..but backed out like 30 minutes before and just went out to dinner instead. One day though…

julie September 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm

when i get married (which will be never) you will dance at my wedding (so you’re safe.)

Pure2raw twins September 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

yay weddings!! wedding season indeed, I have seen them all over the blog world, just makes me more excited for mine

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Wow horse drawn carriage?! That rocks! Looks like such a pretty wedding. Very cute story about how they met.

Jessiker September 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Ahhh! These photos are gorgeous! Thanks love. I love the one of Lily jumping up into the air! So stinking cute. Such a perfect day for Simon and I. I loved all the love and support, was over-the-top amazing!

I love Boba teas, we will have to go out for one soon.

Thanks so much for everything, my special day was perfect. Couldn’t have asked for anything more. xoxoxo

Christin September 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Wow what a gorgeous wedding!

Ashley L September 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Can’t imagine a wedding without booze! It might be a Midwestern thing, but when we get hitched, we PARRRRTAAAAY!

My wedding is this weekend. I plan on letting loose! Keepin it classy in Chicago!

Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} September 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Omg. A carriage. That’s so cool!
My fiance wants one.
He thinks he’s a goddamn Disney princess….. But, I don’t even know where to find one where we’re getting married.