penises & pianists.

by Janetha on September 26, 2011

in eating out,fun with friends

IT’S TUESDAY! do you know what that means? i do. it’s time for a new edition of tuesday trainer over at lindsay’s list. the theme is core and there are a whole workout ready and waiting for you. i submitted a video of me doing the side bend.. check it out! (click the icon to head over to the workout.)

lindsayslist.co-tuesday_trainer
SO. last saturday night i went to lindsay’s bachelorette party. lindsay is my longtime friend (over a decade!) and she is tying the knot this friday.

the bachelorette festivities started at the downtown marriott. i know i let you guys down last time with no penis-themed food, so i am making up for it now.

cookies (i know, the sprinkles make them so realistic, right?)

and brownies, complete with sex positions.

in addition to the sexual sweets, there was a penis piñata!

watching lindsay try to bust it open (while my friend summer held it in the air) was a real treat.

i am sure you are on the edge of your seat waiting to see what was inside, right?

of course—more penis stuff!

on my previous bachelorette party post, diana left this comment regarding the abundance of penis stuff at bachelorette parties: “I have already discussed with my friends a spa and wine day – not a crazy penis party, something I’ve honestly never understood. Once I’m married, am I supposed to miss the penis shaped cupcakes I enjoy every day of my single life? And by every day I mean never? Just don’t get it.”

it got me thinking about the whole penis fascination in conjunction with bachelorette parties. it really makes no sense and i don’t get it, either, but it always makes me laugh.

we headed to stoneground for dinner. when we walked outside we found ourselves smack dab in the middle of the first annual undie run in SLC! the undie run was a 5k held to protest the uptight laws in utah.

there were SO MANY RUNNERS.

it was a good laugh—but not something i could ever do myself. i like to run in those compression shorts that hold me in in all the right places, thankyouverymuch.

anyway—back to dinner! stoneground is a great pizza & pasta restaurant located on 4th south in salt lake.

IMG_4923 IMG_4922

i ordered a salmon salad that had goat cheese, candied pecans, caramelized grapes and a honey balsamic vinaigrette. it was incredible. goat cheese never lets me down.

after dinner, we walked over to the tavernacle, which is a piano bar in downtown salt lake city. the name of the bar is, in fact, a play on the name of the tabernacle choir.

there were two pianists taking requests all night. we had a large group which made it a lot of fun to sing along together to all the songs.

the pianists took money for requests and each song could be vetoed if more money came in to stop the song. at one point, someone paid $20 to hear them play “a whole new world” from disney’s aladdin.  someone else paid $21 to have it stopped… then the original person paid an additional $50 to have the pianists start over and play the whole song! it was hilarious.. and i love aladdin so it was all good.

lindsay was called up to dance on the pianos in honor of her bachelorette party—they played madonna’s “like a virgin”—so fitting.

IMG_4942 IMG_4947

another notable tune was a fun rendition of “heads, shoulders knees and toes”… the birthday boy on stage had to do the actions to the song correctly. each time he messed up, he had to take an item of clothing off and try again. he got all the way down to just his underwear! they slowed the song down a LOT so he could get it right on the final try.

that was close.

the rest of the evening was filled with more songs and singalongs. we were all belting it out at the top of our lungs. it was fantastic.

it’s safe to say we showed lindsay a good time for her one last hurrah before she seals the deal with her fiancé. i can’t wait for their big day on friday!

*********************************

since it seems like all i am doing lately is recap posts, i feel kind of out of touch with everyone as far as the day to day goes. SO, here are a couple highlights and lowlights for today.

two highlights of my monday:

#1: honeycrisp apple eating!  i stocked up on apples yesterday—including a few honeycrisp apples (from harmons in farmington) are roughly the size of penny’s head. honeycrisp are my favorite variety of apple with braeburn coming in second. honeycrisps are SUPER pricey ($3.50 a lb) but worth the splurge for the short season they are around. plus.. they are apples, not cigarettes. i can totally justify the high price.

#2: i started phase two of jamie eason’s 12 week trainer today. i haven’t really talked about my moves lately, but i am still following her workouts closely. i am not following the eating plan—just the exercise portion of the plan. phase one was all lifting and no cardio. phase two introduces four days of cardio each week. wait—maybe this should be a lowlight? ;)

two lowlights of my monday:

#1: my stomach hurts tonight. bad. some nights are better than others. last night was horrible and tonight is just slightly less bad than last night. i have a CT scan scheduled for thursday.. haven’t heard anything back about the endoscopy. i’ll continue to keep you posted since lots of you asked that i do.

#2: uhhhh i can’t think of another one. it wasn’t a really bad day and i’m not overly pessimistic. SO—i will steal the downside of my highlight #2 and say the fact that i will be doing cardio 4x a week for the next four weeks doesn’t exactly thrill me.

ohhh also, today was national pancake day! hope some of you celebrated.

1. would you ever do an undie run?

2. what song would you request at a piano bar?

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) September 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love bachelorette parties! :D The sex position brownies are my favorite!

That salad has so many of my favorite things. I want it.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I love the Tavernacle! Looked like a fun night!

Paige @ Running Around Normcal September 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Now that is one peen’d out party!!!
I said no peen at my bachelorette party, too, but my girlfriends know me well enough to know that means peen overload…because it was everywhere! It makes me laugh too :) Love the brownies!

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) September 26, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Apples not cigarettes…favourite line ever. And I’m totally using that if my husband ever complains when I buy honeycrisps!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm

i’m always so lame at piano bars. the only thing i can think of to request are billy joel songs.

Erica September 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Haha-that is a bachelorette party to the max!! Glad yall had fun! The cookies are hilarious. Glad you are enjoying the apples. I need to pick up some pink ladies!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm

all i can say is better your blog than mine re the search engine traffic you will get from the title of this post!

And I am soooo sorry about the GI issues. Girl. I have been there. Like most of my life until I finally started figuring things out in my mid 20s. Til then, it was a some days it’s bad; some days it’s excruciating kind of life. hang in there!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I’m seriously impressed by those brownies! 1. thats a lot of positions 2. it takes some pretty could artistry to be able to draw them on a brownie! haha
I think with the right company, I could totally do an undie race. :)

April September 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Those sex position brownies are awesome!!! I am bookmarking this for oh… let’s say sometime in early February!

dana @ my little celebration September 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’d do an undie run if my husband did it with me. Otherwise, probably not. But more power to the people who do!

Lauren September 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I’ve never done it, but my campus has a naked run at the end of each semester. A ton of people run in it, and others just watch. Last year, people still did it in the negative 5 degree weather!

lindsay September 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm

oh keep me posted on the scan. I wonder if its what i had/have. Gallbladder! Big hugs!

Diana September 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm

HAHAHA oh my gosh you know I love everything about this post, from the title to the finish! Penis parties FTW ;)

I kick myself every year when I miss the Jamaica Undies fun run – as long as everyone else is in their underwear, who’s going to notice you’re in yours anyway? And who knows, you might even make a friend ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Never quite understood the penises either, but hey – a fun night with the girls is all that matters. glad you had a relatively good day today. More goods than bad, right? :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm

so many runners so many penii. Also, weens are yuck to look at but hilarious. The cookies make them delicious.

I guess I shouldn’t tell you that here in NY, we picked 3 bushels of minimally treated honeycrisp for $1.20/lb, should I?

Rachel @ Healthy Teacher September 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I was teaching a unit on feminism to my students and was trying to note the difference between early feminism and modern fem…and at some point the words, “I mean, back then it wasn’t bra burning, penis-bashing woman power…it was ‘Please let me be considered for a job and have the option of not getting married and still be sustainable’.” Whoops.

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) September 27, 2011 at 12:26 am

Those brownies are freaking aaaamazing! Love it all! And NO…I don’t think I could run in my undies! :/

Jessica Lee September 27, 2011 at 2:22 am

I would totally do an undie run!! Well maybe after I drop 5 more lbs, less jiggle. LOL. Miss you girlfriend, I have been so behind. Hope you’re doing fab!! (Now I’m gonna try to catch up on mad posts).

The sex position brownies are amaze!!

Janetha September 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

WOW! Good to hear from you, girlfriend!

cathy September 27, 2011 at 6:16 am

you are very brave with that title, today, j! you’re going to get a whole bunch of musicians as new readers – haha!
i have never been to a bachelorette party and i find all the penis jokes and food absolutely hilarious. those cookies and brownies are fabulous!
and that piano bar outing sounds like a blast. and i love the play on the name.
undie run – yes i would do it as long as it was over 80 degrees out.
sorry to hear your insides are not happy again – hug! take care!

Meg September 27, 2011 at 6:38 am

HAHA those pictures are great and the party sounds SO fun :D I love those brownies! TOO FUNNY!

The last bachlorette party I went to we made a big rice kirspie cake in the shape of a penis. I was the creator and ensured perfect form hahahaha.

How did you find phase one? See muscle gains? What was your favourite part? :) Keep us updated on phase two xoxo and also on all of your check ups/appointments <3 prayers <3

Janetha September 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

Yes! I have upped my weights in all areas. It’s working great! How are you liking it? My favorite is shoulder day or back day… love training those areas!

Meg September 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I am actually not following it :) I am doing another program, but may try hers after the new year? :)

Janetha October 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I am an idiot. Another Meg IS following it and I mistook you for her. I am so sorry!

Susan September 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

Those brownies kill me.

Lee September 27, 2011 at 8:02 am

I love the penis cookies, the sprinkles are a nice touch.

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 27, 2011 at 8:48 am

That bachelorette party looks like so much fun! I love the penis cookies!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

Sex position brownies!!! That’s a new one! Your friends are VERY creative.
And whoa- LOVE the underwear 5k, though I’m with you- I need my compression shorts to hold everything in place!

Sami September 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

You weren’t kidding about wedding season, were you?! :)

Looks like a BLAST.

xo.

katie September 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

LOVE! I miss you! I hope your tummy feeling better today! Mike LOVES his contigo mug, he used it yesterday for first time! Thank you again so much for getting us those!!!!!! <3

I am in a public coffee shop sitting next to 2 guys , I have to blog from here until i get internet, and I just had to SCROLL way too FAST because of the penis things, lol!! I didnt want these guys creeping and seeing that and thinking im , well who knows what they would think, lol!

Love you!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

If only the real things came with sprinkles…

Terri September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi! I have been forced to learn alot about Celiacs Disease this year, since my 4 year old was dignosed. Have you been tested? I hope you find an answer soon. : )

Janetha September 27, 2011 at 11:35 am

That is one thing they are testing for–I haven’t heard yet!

Jenny September 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I don’t know why anyone would go to a piano bar other than to request the epic song “Night Moves,” by Bob Seger.

In fact, I request this pretty much everywhere I go. Drunkenly. Annoyingly. I’m a blast.

Errign September 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

1. I think that is the best post title I’ve seen in awhile.
2. The sex brownies are hilarious, and pretty creative.
3. I don’t think I could do an undie run, not because of modesty (I’m that person who changes clothes in their car or the parking lot), but because I don’t like my jiggly bits moving around!
4. I’ve never had a honey crisp apple because they’re always expensive. Are they worth it?!

Janetha October 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

YES they are!!!!!!!!!!

Christin September 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm

OMG those brownies had me cracking up at work! So hilarious!

I could never run in my undies…too much junk in my trunk I would scare small children (and everyone else) lol

nicole@ makinggoodchoices September 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I just laughed out loud and those cookies and brownies. You are very talented!

I’ve been following Jamie Eason’s plan too, but I’m a cardio whore (although been trying to cut back). Did you totally stopped doing cardio during phase 1? I’m on week 4 as of yesterday.

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Did you buy those awesome brownies or make them? Very creative! I’m on the fence about an underwear run – I guess given the right timing & circumstances I *might* be convinced. But maybe not, I might chicken out too. :)

I’m so sorry to hear about your tummy issues – I hope they can figure out what’s going on soon, so you can start feeling better!

Amanda@ the beauty notebooks September 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I did a double-take with your post’s title. Those brownies are genius btw!

Eva September 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Laughed out loud as soon as I saw the cookies, then really wanted to eat one. Ever wonder if guys would ever do the same at a bachelor party? That is, bake cookies in the shape of female genitalia? Prrrobably wouldn’t be as appealing, and now I’ve got a terrible visual in my head.

Hope you feel better, Janetha, and remember to listen to your body as the week progresses and you carry on with the Jamie Eason challenge! More power to ya.

Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} September 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I always thought the penis thing was because we’re all virgin.,… right?… right?!?…. And so we have to ease her into the idea of the scary and daunting ween experience.
Or maybe I just love pretending my friends are virgins so much, laughing hysterically and telling everyone in the bar she’s getting married and needs lessons about he wedding night!
Annndddd I eat penis cookies on the reg. So I’m sure what that lady was talking about :) Those brownies are too legit to quit. Will be adding those to my arsenal. Even my fiance will eat those!

And an underwear run is the greatest idea ever!! I would do it :)

Liz @ Southern Charm September 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Just because of the atmosphere normally associated with piano bars, I think I’d request House of the Rising Sun. That being said, at Pat O’s piano bar (I’m from New Orleans), I’m pretty sure I’ve requested some wild things … think Michael Jackson. These people kill it every time! loveee

Ali Mc September 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I am with diana what’s with all the penises??? I’m not a huge fan. but fan enough to have one that belongs to my husband lol

I never had a bachelorette but if I did I would do like my friend and go to the male strip club and see some real penises :) lol or a spa day sounds good….or just dancing.

I am in LOVE /w the idea of an undie run. I may even start my own look for it next year :D

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza September 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I think an undie run would be fun…but I don’t know if I’d do it…maybe if I could have a shot or two before? haha, that kinda defeats the purpose!

I hope your stomach feels better soon!!

The bachelorette party looked like a blast! :)

Colleenzo September 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I’d TOTALLY do a grundie-run! I may do one on my own, around the neighborhood, just because that looks like so much fun!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

An undie run?! How cool! I guess being surrounded by a bunch of other undie covered people would make me feel more comfy… I guess.

Looks like you had a blast! Congrats to your girl :)

Kelsey September 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Yes – I would totally do an undie run. I would even do the pantsless day they have in the NYC. I want to go to that piano bar so badly — but not on my birthday — I am so over dancing on bars!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm

The sex position brownies are awesome! Love it! I’m not sure about the undie run. I think it would be fun to do in a bigger city where you didn’t really know anybody. lol.

Hope you get some results with your tummy troubles soon! Will be praying for you! :)

The Delicate Place September 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm

boo about your tummy :( really do keep me updated (maybe one of my weird trial and error things will help you x) i would totally run in my undies. you only live once! i’m all over the honeycrisps too :)

Chels September 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I cosidered trying out the Jamie Easonn’s 12 week plan as well. I still might give it a go. The diet is HORRIBLE though! I guess you could do it if you were competing or trying to shred fat fast, but to me if I ate as little as it stated I would be passing out from little food.

elise October 2, 2011 at 3:20 am

wahhhh, your GI woes are making me feel like we could be commiserating together right now. i think i may be allergic to my fave foods.
ps youre gonna get some mad amounts of spam with this post!