sugar game solutions. (and winner!)

by Janetha on September 12, 2011

in questions answered

hey guys! coming to you at a weird time today to show the sugar game answers and announce the winner of the giveaway.

in case you missed it, i posted ten food & beverage items and you were to guess how many grams of sugar were in each item—represented by sugar cubes. each sugar cube represents four grams of sugar (a teaspoon) and, for the sake of the game, we did not specify the type of sugar in the item. this is important to note, as the type of sugar in cantaloupe is far different than the type of sugar in a cinnabon cinnamon roll.

a few of you messaged me and told me that all these photos (which i originally received in an email) came from a website called sugarstacks.com.  so, all credit for the images in this post goes to sugarstacks.com.  you can check out the website to see how LOTS of foods measure up in terms of sugar grams.

here are the answers!

Sugars, total:		4g
 Calories, total:		20
 Calories from sugar:	16

*******************************

9. eight baby carrots= 1 sugar cube

Baby Carrots
 1 serving (8 carrots/85g)
 Sugars, total:		4g
 Calories, total:		30
 Calories from sugar:	16

*******************************

10. one 16 oz bottle of lemon snapple iced tea=  11.5 sugar cubes

Snapple Lemon Iced Tea

16 oz Bottle
Sugars, total:		46g
Calories, total:		200
Calories from sugar:	184

*note: photo is wrong

*******************************

the winner is:

MALIKA!

a lot of you came close to some of the answers, but malika was the only one to get four answers exactly right!

malika, please use the contact form to send me your mailing address, and congrats!

*******************************

which one surprised you the most? i was most surprised by the fact that the snapple and the frappuccino contained the SAME amount of sugar! also, the cantaloupe and the breakfast bar contain the same number of sugar grams.. but since the sugar in fruit is naturally occurring, you are better off eating the cantaloupe than the breakfast bar.

hope you had fun playing the game! be back later.

Q~

any big shockers on the number of sugar grams here, or did you have it figured out?

LizAshlee September 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wow, maybe I need to slow down on the bananas…that one definitely surprised me!

Great info!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Wow – way to go Cheerios!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I’m actually pretty shocked at the sorbet!! For something that masquerades as “healthy” it had almost the most sugar out of all these things.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

The Snapple surprised me as well!
Clara is addicted to plain Cheerios…and with good reason. They rock!

Ali Mc September 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I think I over-estimated on everyone!! lol…Oh and you’d be so proud of me. I actually found myself standing in a line at starbucks needing a snack and I was checking for the sugar and I actually said “MAN, why is there so much sugar in everything?!? Oh and btw, I KNOW about your muffins :P” – I got some unsalted nuts for $3 – ya that seems fair :P

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Haha, I am glad you commented that, because your answers were the best ones ever. I kind of wanted to send you a consolation prize because they made me giggle the most.

Ali Mc September 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

what carrots DO seem like there may be some hidden sugars in there. I thought 3.5 seemed fair…42g in cinnabon….lol Ketchup I think I said 7 :P lol no wonder you laughed *blush* ;D

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

No need to blush! Actually there were two that made me laugh the cinnabon because you put 42 cubes which equates to 168 grams and the cheerios put at 16 cubes because they have less than a half. It was awesome, actually!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I knew ketchup was super high in sugar and really, who only uses 1 tbsp of ketchup.. That’s PER BITE for me :)

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

seriously! a tablespoon of ketchup is not enough.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Honestly I thought the Cinnabon and Frap would be way higher in sugar! (they’re still high but not as high as I thought).

Way to Cheerios – currently my favorite cereal.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Not too shocked with the answers to the sugar cube game! I learned I over guess how much sugar is in everything, but I think that’s a good thing!

cameo September 12, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I was surprised how low sugar Cheerios was! Also how high the sorbet is. Now that I really think about it, it makes sense. But I was off on a lot of them so it goes to show I don’t know as much as I thought I did. On that note, I shall disagree that fruit sugar is better – many new studies say fruit sugar is the worse form – rivaling that of HFCS. Sucks to be sugar.

Amy September 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I wasn’t surprised by the sugar amount but instead of the fact that I wanted to jump my screen in regards to the cinnabon. It still looks deliciously sinful and we don’t have them around here!