weird meals.

by Janetha on September 9, 2011

in meals

today’s meals started out normal, then took a sharp nose dive into ridiculous. let me show you.

8:30 AM breakfast: protein oats + peanut butter.

1/2 cup sunflower market europpean hot cereal (which is old fashioned oats, rolled dates, raisins and slivered almonds), 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1 TB of mighty maple peanut butter.

yum. oatmeal season.

12:30 PM lunch: the most random + strange salad.

for the record, that bowl is double the size of my head, or 4.5 the size of penny’s head. (she has a tiny head!)

the salad was the epitome of a fridge cleanout salad: spinach, spring greens, cucumber, red bell pepper, carrots, broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash, cottage cheese, grilled chicken, avocado and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

‘twas amazing.

5:00 PM snack: juicy peach (normal & unpictured) + a bunch of cashew clusters from costco (those things are addicting! and also unpictured.)

6:00 PM dinner: layered rice + egg white bowl.

1/2 cup cooked brown rice, 4 scrambled egg whites seasoned with thai spices, broccoli slaw and.. what’s that on top.. ?

spicy peanut butter!

let’s hear it for the weirdest meal of the day!

i actually really loved this. pb & co’s heat is on peanut butter tastes just like a spicy peanut sauce, so when i paired it with the thai-seasoned eggs and brown rice, it really just tasted like an awesome thai dish. the broccoli slaw was for crunch & color.

i was going to go to the gym. i was going to do the laundry. i was going to catch up on my google reader (hello over 1,000 new posts). i was going to take the dogs for a walk.

i didn’t do any of that.

<insert 2 hour nap here>

sometimes, you gotta.

i woke up starrrrving! why is it that i am always hungry when i wake up, no matter how long ago i ate or how long i slept?? does this happen to you?

8:30 PM dinner #2: protein shake cereal.

i have these very, very, VERY often.

1 cup almond milk, 1/2 of a frozen banana, 1 serving chocolate tera’s whey protein powder, 1 TB dark cocoa powder and ice.. blended. then i use the shake as the liquid in a bowl of cereal! this time it was brown rice cereal & shredded spoonfuls.

if you are obsessed with cereal (like me) but want it to be filling, try the protein shake-as-milk method.  you can do a plain ol’ vanilla shake, but why not get creative and make a chocolate banana one, or a peach cinnamon one, or a raspberry almond one. just a few of my favorites.

marshall is out of town. i think that could have gone without saying when you consider that i took a two hour nap on a friday night and ate one of the most random dinners ever.. but yeah, he’s in portland! lucky guy.

so i am home alone! EEEE! with the dogs,of course. i feel like i should do something totally wild. i never have the house to myself for a whole weekend.

but.. i am boring. and old. geez, what a drag!

i am probably going to go back to bed here in a minute. i am exhausted and tomorrow is a HUGE day:

• it’s 9-10-11!
  • i am running a 5k with kristen
  • my friends allie + tyler are tying the knot
  • it is michelle’s birthday

whew. i need to get as much sleep as i can before all those events.

have a great weekend! i will be back sunday to recap my packed saturday. speaking of packed.. the packers won last night! yay—happy marshall=happy me.

1. what is the most random or strange meal you have thrown together lately? elise is the queen of this.

2. what is your favorite thing to do when you have the house to yourself? i had my own apartment for many a years and i love being home alone. making up recipes is a favorite home alone pastime of mine.

katie September 9, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I love the protein and cereal dinner combo, the owl mug makes it SUPER awesome!!!!

Hope you get some more sleep tonight and enjoy the peaceful weekend being husband free! Sounds like a busy day tomorrow! Fun stuff! Congrats to your friends that are getting married!

Love you!

p.s. damn we could of had a sleepover party if we lived closer, we could of made ice cream, I could of taken Marshall’s ice cream bowl ! haha! <3

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 9, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I’m always starving when I wake up from a nap! Even if I only slept for 20 minutes. Funny how that is…

Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real September 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I had the most random (and not the most nutritious) dinner tonight. Blue corn tortillas chips with guacamole and a pumpkin beer. Then I had some pumpkin bread for dessert. That’s it. I think that proves I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

Heather September 9, 2011 at 11:32 pm

When I have a night to myself, I like to invent recipes…usually while wearing really really tacky (but super comfy) outfits, listening to music and dancing around!

tj September 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

ok so that rice-egg white din din looks so yum yum!! :) its ok to be weird…normal isnt any fun! :) oh & Ive never seen spicy PB! wow

Cyndie September 10, 2011 at 12:35 am

ME TOO. I wake up starving from naps and it drives me CRAZY. it’s a very uncomfortable hunger that’s difficult to control. Someone please explain to me why this happens after every nap!! Am I just thirsty?

megan @ muncher cruncher September 10, 2011 at 12:39 am

oh man…I love cereal too. Way too much. When I get on poor eating kicks it’s me eating cereal for breakfast and dinner. Not good Megan, even if it is Kashi…

Erica September 10, 2011 at 12:41 am

I love protein shake cereal!! And (as i said on instagram), i neex to try that pb. I have a lot of random snacks. My fav is carrots dipped in yellow mustard

Kate September 10, 2011 at 12:52 am

I have never seen spicy pb before! I really don’t know if I’d like it though. I am much more of a sweet girl!

I just moved to Moscow and I keep making salads with spinach, cottage cheese, and cherry jelly since I have no dressing. It is good for like the first bite but then it is just too unsalad-like…I’m weird I know :)

I loved to blast music in my house when I was alone and dance in the living room! Baking sometimes was included in that scenario too.

Have fun tomorrow and good luck…

cathy September 10, 2011 at 6:00 am

wow! what a super fun weekend ahead! enjoy, j!
thanks for the reminder that today is 9-10-11 -> i love stuff like that.
i think that is a GREAT idea, to dollop a blog of pb on a salad. i love salad, i love pb, why not? going to try that asap!!!
my all-time favourite “weird” food combo is a tin of tuna mixed with a single serve of flavoured (ie blueberry) yogurt. but i got the idea off the foodnetwork! that’s ok then, right?!
i watched jersey shore when i was home alone last eve!

Lauren September 10, 2011 at 6:01 am

I am hesitant to try the spicy PB because I the hot/sweet thing has me all thrown off. I couldn’t get into my friend’s latest version of granola…mexican hot chocolate. I think it would be EXCELLENT in a sauce though.

Have a good weekend lady and good luck on the 5k!!! Miss you!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 10, 2011 at 6:48 am

I dont notice anything weird about your eats…what I notice is that ADORABLE OWL mug/bowl…sooooo cute!

Fave thing to do when the house is mine and mine alone: sit at my computer, read blogs or internet surf in total silence, while nursing a cup of coffee = bliss!

lindsay September 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

thats what i did last night! hehe. Weekend to myself.

lindsay September 10, 2011 at 7:37 am

no such thing as weird in our house, trust me. We make marmite, nut butter, and banana sandwiches. We put cholula on everything…and I mean everything. We make grits from oatbran and brewers yeast. Weird but damn good!

sarah September 10, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’ve always thought that PB sounds interesting! Glad to know you enjoyed it :)
I went shopping yesterday, and there were owls EVERYWHERE. haha, it made me think of you!
I love to cook when nobody’s home, or at least not my brother because he questions every little thing thats going into the food ;)
Strangest meal would have to be my leftover chinese chicken in garlic sauce + rice from my shrimp and andouille jambalaya. Two way different flavors, but it wasn’t all that bad! My mouth was craving loads of flavor and that’s just what it got :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 10, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love being home alone too, but I realized this past weekend that I would get really lonely if I always lived by myself! I need my husband! Buuut I do enjoy getting to watch what I want to on TV and making myself food that he would never eat.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

It’s funny, I’m actually looking at your lunch and dinner and thinking “that’s not so weird!” But then again, I’m the girl that had spaghetti squash for breakfast a couple of weeks ago…topped with caramelized onions, bacon, peanut butter and maple syrup! ;)

I think my favorite thing to do when I’m home alone is get creative in the kitchen and veg in front of my laptop all day catching up, which is an endless task I know…I took the count off my Google reader! Couldn’t stand to look at it anymore!

I’m always hungry when I wake up too…especially if I work a graveyard shift. I can eat something, go to bed, and then wake up a couple hours later feeling like I could chew my own arm off! Like I haven’t eaten in days! It’s so weird!

Oh and one more thing. I know you’ve been doing the protein cereal combo for a while now, but have you tried it with peanut flour? I actually just pour it over the top of the bowl of cereal instead of stirring it in the milk…that way in some of the bites I get a glob of peanut flour goopy goodness! It’s sooo good! :)

MelissaNibbles September 10, 2011 at 8:16 am

I live alone so I always have the place to myself. I think you should get naked, put on a face mask (one that cleans your face, not a Halloween mask), do 20 minutes of yoga, wash your mask off, and then watch Clueless for 10 minutes (because you always fall asleep ten minutes into any movie), then wake up and do it again tomorrow night. Oh wait….that’s just what I do on the weekends.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. September 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

I absolutely love it when I have the house to myself! I get some cleaning done, a good workout in, and definitely make a mess in the kitchen whipping up new recipes :) Enjoy your busy day today!

Chels September 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

Yesterday for lunch I made egg whites with chedder cheese and sliced apples, it was good but felt weird eating it all together. I have the house to myself this weekend as well, Craig is in Vegas for a bachelor party. I have just been doing my own thing, and not having to be so quite in the mornings..usually he sleeps a little later then me so I have to be a little less noisy in the kitchen cooking.

Danielle September 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

Not going to lie…I added the necessary ingredients to my grocery list for tomorrow to make your brown rice/egg white/slaw/spicy peanut dish. Yum!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 10, 2011 at 9:39 am

Your protein shake cereal is brilliant! That’s probably going to end up being one of my favorite new breakfasts/mini meals.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 10, 2011 at 9:48 am

I have that exact same owl bowl you have in the first picture! I absolutely LOVE IT! Too Cute!

And I’m with you on the “I’m always hungry when I wake up no matter what I ate or how soon before I fell asleep, even if that nap was just for 15 minutes.”

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 10, 2011 at 10:08 am

I LOVE CEREAL but it definitely does not fill me up! I am going to try your protein trick! Oh- and Terra’s Whey is is amazing, but it certainly costs and arm and a leg (but definitely worth it, right??). And the packaging is so pretty!!

The Delicate Place September 10, 2011 at 10:16 am

i eat weird ugly stuff all the time hence why there aren’t too many shots of food on my blog haha. i usually mix very random stuff in with eggs in bowl, salsa, chopped avocado or carrots/squash. sometimes i put canned pumpkin in a bowl with blueberries, chopped almonds & shredded coconut with a boatload of cinnamon.

Jenny September 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

I feel like I put weird things together every night. By the time I get home and workout I’m starving and my mind is just set on consuming vegetables rather than following a recipe. I grab whatever, cook it however, and throw it all together.

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

Not really a meal, but I did have a random drink recently. I am obsessed with pickled veggies and when we finished the jar of pickled cherry peppers, I decided the juice would make an excellent drink mixer. :) My hubby helped me and we made a martini with tequila and pickled cherry pepper juice – yummy! :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 10, 2011 at 11:25 am

Brilliant idea with the protein milk! I’m going to have to try it…i’m thinking chocolate pb. Let me know how the race goes.

Jac September 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow! I make smoothie cereal too! ALL THE TIME~ my husband thought i was crazy (until he tried it!).

I actually have a question about the protein powder oats – I have not found a protein powder that doesnt “break down” when heated, so I never know what kind of protein powder to add to my oats. I have Tera’s whey but it doesnt look like thats what you used for the hot oats…. any recommendations?!~? Thanks!!!!

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I find that whey-based powders clump up when they get hot, so I like using a soy-blend.. my favorite is a blend of soy, whey and casein. I add it at the VERY end of the cooking process, just stir it in so the powder dissolves then remove from the heat. xo

Cameo September 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm

1. Canned wild salmon, sardines, kidney beans, chopped celery, chopped zucchini, mixed with hummus, Braags Aminos, and hot sauce. I liked it. But it smelled like cat food. It was an “I need protein and omega-3’s” concoction.
2. Sit around naked. Walk around naked. Clean naked.

Betty September 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’m not good at being alone, even tho I love it, it makes me sleepy.. I either clean, cause I’m OCD, or sleep..

Lindsay September 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I don’t know if I’ve eaten anything random or weird lately, I have been eating some pretty awesome things including roasted edamame, oatmeal banana pancakes, and vegan treats! My favorite thing to do when I have the house to myself is take a nap or watch Food Network. My mom hates food shows, so whenever she’s gone I like to watch them. :)

glidingcalm September 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i love your weird meals!! not that weird at all to me!! i want some of that spicy peanut buttaaaaaaaaaaa

Allison September 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Haha, I don’t think that those are weird meals- I guess that makes me weird?! :P

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I think that us bloggers think these meals are normal, but your everyday average joe thinks they are crazy!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I’ve always wanted to try that PB! I bet it’d go really well if you mixed some water or soy sauce with it and made it into a peanut sauce:)
Have fun today!!!

ilovefetacheese September 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love eating proats for breakfast in the fall too! Started doing that in the last 2 days…I’m not brave enough to eat PB w/ eggs, kudos to you girl!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I have that owl bowl :)

I LOVE having the house to myself. I go crazy living with my family, so I absolutely live for nights when no one is home so I can have some time to relax!

Hillary September 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm

always wondered what that spicy pb could possibly be for! makes sense now! love the protein -powder cereal extravaganza too!

BroccoliHut September 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I love the spicy PB too–I use it to make sauces for tofu all the time…particularly good with broc slaw:)
I had a pretty random lunch salad today–hummus filled hard boiled eggs with sunflower seeds!

Lauren September 11, 2011 at 11:54 am

Sometimes weird meals are the best :D I love having veggie burger salads with ketchup and mustard as the dressing. Is that weird? I don’t care….it’s delicious!!

Janetha September 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm

i am so with you on that! hamburger salads are awesome!

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza September 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I like the combo of eggs, rice and pb! That sounds really good!

I do enjoy tomato slices on a peanut butter sandwich…which sounds a bit odd! but it’s tasty!

I have the house to myself today…I forsee a lot of blog reading, watching TV and just being lazy :)

fittingbackin September 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm

ha! I love all of the weird meals – especially the salad in “the bowl the size of your head.” I’m not a very ‘weird meal’ person – i’m still working on branching out from basics!!

Amanda September 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I always wondered what that flavor of PB tasted like. I want to try making pad thai with it.

I like cereal but hate it with milk. I have it with plain greek yogurt to fill me up. so good.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Spicy PB sounds so good! :) I actually have my own apartment so my favorite thing to do when home alone is just listening to music and dinking around on the internet.

Eliza @ zestyappetite September 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

As weird as your meals may have been I love the honestly with it all. Who give a hoot if something is a little strange… As a new blogger I find myself intimidated to post my weird snacks or meals and this post just basically gave the confidence to say who gives a flying pig what I eat?! yaaaahooo and that spicy peanut butter looks banging–reminded me of a spicy thai peanut something or other.

Sünne November 14, 2011 at 11:53 am

This is so random but: Where did you get that cute owl bowl? I looked up Accessorize as that was what it made me think of but they don’t seem to have it.

And I guess most people would consider many of my random meals to be weird, too, but I don’t care. Hey, as long as they’re tasty, why not?!

Janetha November 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

It is mug from pier one! Only $8 :)

Janetha November 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Ohhhh crap did you mean the bowl up top? Sorry I just saw that. It was a gift so no clue!

Sünne November 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Ah, sorry, I noticed right after posting the comment that both were mugs. Yes, I meant the one in the first picture. Do you think you might find out were the person who gave it to you got it? Only if it’s not asking for to much!

Sünne November 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for asking Missy to contact me! I actually felt bad right after asking you seeing as I was totally asking for too much there.