owl love you forever.

by Janetha on September 7, 2011

in random rambles

today was a bad day!

right from the get go, i got stuck at a train crossing which made me late for work, then it was a domino of unfortunate events.

physically, mentally, emotionally. bad, bad, bad.

i don’t want to ramble and whine about it… but it was a REALLY. BAD. DAY.

to top it off, marshall is working out of town and won’t be home until midnight. sigh.

you know what that means, don’t you?

bad day + no husband to feed = cereal for dinner!

hey, gotta look on the bright side, right?

lucky for me, i drafted this post at the beginning of august and have been saving it for a rainy day. or a bad one. hey, if the shoe fits…

************************************************************

lots of you know i have a few thing i am obsessed with really into:

• houndstooth
  • acronyms
  • OWLS

granted, owls have become really trendy lately, and so liking them is kind of the “thing to do”. when that happens, i usually shy away from liking something. for example, when i was in junior high and high school i was absolutely obsessed with volcom (it is a snowboarding/skateboarding brand of clothing).  in fact, i would not leave the house without wearing at least one, if not 4 or 5, items of volcom—not to mention my wallet, purse and keychain. all volcom. i constantly doodled the volcom logo and my sister made volcom things for me every christmas—everything from quilts to flower pots.  my obsession was borderline crazy.  then, all of a sudden, volcom got ridiculously trendy. i blame zumiez and pacsun, for the most part. i still like volcom (and i still have 23 volcom purses in storage, eight with matching wallets), but my obsession has passed by the wayside and moved onto other things—like owls. even though owls are becoming trendy, they are one thing i just can’t quit.

it’s funny, because all my friends (both real life and in blogland) will send me photos of anything owl or houndstooth. it’s pretty fun, actually, and i welcome the photos. a few people have even mailed me owl things! because of my known love for owls, i have two owl lunch boxes, owl dishes, owl jewelry, an owl apron, custom made owl coasters with matching trivet.. you get the idea.  i think marshall hates the fact that all this stuff keeps showing up at our house, but i am thrilled.

i follow a blog called “my owl barn” (which is where i discovered the website where i got my iphone cover).  each day, tons of awesome owl items are posted. each day, i add to my list of lust for owly items.

here are some spectacular items that i have starred. once i make my first million, i will buy all of these things. (click on the link title to view the item and photo source.)

cutting board.

rad bowl with chopsticks.

this amazing print.

teapot.

pillow.

another print.

tea towels. (tea tOWLS?)

i want to try this DIY method for sandals.

one more print for good measure.

you may notice i gravitate toward the more realistic looking owls compared to the cartoony ones—but i really love them all. no owl discrimination here!

be back tomorrow with a happier tune ;)

1. i have owls. what is your “thing”?

2. when something begins to get trendy, do you tend to like it more or less?

barb September 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

I am exactly like this with Day of the Dead skull artwork. So much so that our cake topper was a two little skull people. LOVE.

natalie (the sweets life) September 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

I hope today is much much better!! I had sort of a bad day yesterday too–what’s the deal?!

I love that owl bowl with the chopsticks! :)

Nicole C September 8, 2011 at 11:41 am

My obsession is wieners, you know the ones of the dog kind. Those little dachshunds get me every time. I take so many photos of Roxy it gets a bit embarrassing. However, if I end up like my Mom and her obsession with leopard print I will have to slap myself.

If things become trendy, I usually fight it and not give in. I don’t really care what the trends are, I like them when they aren’t the cool thing to mimic.

Lisa September 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Pier 1 has out some cute owly decorations right now.

Janetha September 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

thanks! pier 1 is dangerous. i have purchased so much owl stuff there.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers September 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Ha – I either have cereal or a pb&j when my hubby isn’t home. Simple pleasures!

debbie (accidently delish) September 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

i have always loved owls/birds, my wedding theme is going to be bird themed, yes it is now a trend. boo. but it will go away and i can go back to being my closet obsessed owl/bird self.

i’m also obsessed with penguins. they are just so cute!

when things get trendy i just wait it out. it is a trend after all and if you really like something who cares what other people think/like.

Christin September 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Sorry to hear you had a bad day! The only good thing about days like that is tomorrows… :(
The tea tOWLS are awesome tho! :)

My thing is Ninjas…it’s my nickname at work, and I also used to take karate when I was a teen…I went to tournaments and kicked @ss, etc…I even have some trophies and had an article about me in the local paper! That was my 15 minutes…lol

Anyway, I like to collect t-shirts, photos, etc…I am generally a girly girl, but I do like to kick butt in an allusive way ;)

Cassy September 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm

1. mustaches + cats
2. mustaches are ‘in’ here in Long Beach. I blame the hipster movement. I am trying not to go overboard, but man do I love me a mustache. Too much probably.
And cats– well it was a joke that has gotten out of control. Now I am crazy cat lady. [with only 1 cat]

Janetha September 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

you are such a mustache lady! i think of you whenever i see them. they are super trendy here now!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Ha! I make breakfast whenever the hubby is away!
It’s funny because I barely even know you as a blog friend- but I pulled out a glass out of my cupboard to pour a drink the other day and thought “Janetha likes owls- she would like this!” It’s a glass made by a local artist from a wine bottle. It has an owl etched on it. So cute. I’ll have to put a pic on my blog.

Janetha September 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Funny! Definitely do!!

LauraJayne September 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

You’re SO on my “owl” list. I didn’t have an “owl” list before, but I just started it, and you’re on it.

I don’t think I have a “thing” – but people do send me emails about Foucault, polygamy, and the “model minority” myth. Apparently I’m a giant nerd. I need a thing…

Rhoni September 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I rarely ever comment – but couldn’t resist sharing my “things” today. :) I’ve never considered an owl obsession and didn’t even realize they are trendy, though I totally get it. I’m loving those sandals! My “things” are Marilyn Monroe and umbrellas. My apartment is covered with Marilyn memorabilia and the umbrellas are part of my “Singin’ in the Rain” love. I tend to have lots of figurines and pictures of parasols and umbrellas, though don’t have many actual umbrellas – that would be a little bit much. I recently moved to Seattle and my umbrella obsession fits in quite nicely here. ;) Sorry you had a bad day! Hope today is better!

Janetha September 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love your things! That’s so fun!

Missy September 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Owls are blowing up Pinterest right now.

But you liked them before they were cool. LOL.

My thing is butterflies. Cringe. I know.
BUT they hold spiritual significance for me on a very deep level.

I have to admit, I still don’t like when things get trendy. I guess I am still High-School that way. I was one of those “alternative” kids before “alternative” was cool…and trust me. I tried dang hard at it. LOL.

Amanda September 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I have a nostalgic love for owls that goes back as far as I can remember. My grandma was OBSESSED for at least my entire life…not sure when it started for her, but she had an entire lake cottage full of everything owl. When she passed away about 8 years ago my mom decided to not keep a single item from that cottage…it all went into a dumpster (sounds harsh, I know…it really wasn’t). I crack up thinking of my grandma looking down on us laughing hysterically knowing we could all be rich from selling her vintage owl collection online!! She would have loved that it’s a raging trend!

Krista (kristastes) September 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hahaha…whenever I see something owl-themed, I totally think of you. I have an obsession with labs (and dogs in general), but that’s a given. When I was younger, I was obsessed with miniature things…I had a ‘miniature box’ with a compartment for each little item. My parents used to go antique shopping and they’d give me a few bucks to fuel the obsession and keep me entertained. dorkkkkk alert!

Elaine September 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm

i love that cup/bowl with chopsticks. so pretty!

1: i love pigs. i have a pig ice cream scooper and a pig dish towel. the background on my laptop is always some sort of pig picture. i wish i lived closer to the pigs peace sanctuary – i would totally volunteer there. i also love penguins, but don’t have anything penguin-y.

2: i tend to like stuff less as it becomes more popular, but i typically like what i like and don’t follow trends anymore. when i was 13, oh yeah, trends galore! now at 29, nahhh.

Julia September 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Sorry about the bad day. I seem to have stumbled upon one today – car damage definitely makes for a bad day.
But I loved the cute owl stuff. I have a couple of wooden carved owls that I got in New Mexico. My grandma had one and I had the other. When she passed away, the other owl came back to me. Every time I see them I’m reminded of my Grandma and New Mexico.

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) September 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Holy moly- you’ve converted me! Owls are awesome!

I don’t really have a “thing” I collect… unless books count! I’m a book hoarder…

julie September 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

mee too bad day. 2 hours to get to work, and late, two hours to get home from work and i was my boss’s bitch today and i didn’t even get to go to the gym. ALWAYS TOMORROW! <3 have an izzie and watch some green bay.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) September 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm

HIII!!! sorry to hear about your sub par day BUT cereal for dinner?! umm I want that right now with or without a hubby lol

I am obsessed with NEON colors..neon everything! i just love it! for my bday a girl I worked with who I didnt know so well went out of her way to get me a brightly colored neon pad of paper and highlighters! it was the sweetest thing ever!!

oh owls are so fun and whenever I see them I think of YOU!

Jenn (GH) September 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I love that you love owls. I like them too but not like you. I don’t have a current obsession mostly b/c we are trying to simplify for the road which means GETTING RID OF STUFF. It’s hard. Harder than I thought it would be. I used to LOVE gargoyles. I still have the coolest gargoyle bookends somewhere. At least I think I do.

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday. Hope today was better. xox

melissa September 8, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I was late for work today too. Ugh. It totally jacked with my day. Cheers to tomorrows. :)

Allison September 9, 2011 at 7:25 am

I gotta admit, I used to be scared of owls at night! I only saw one once when I was on vacation but I thought they attacked [people] at night and the way they could turn their heads all the way around, gah… Silly children :P

Sam September 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

OKAY I am a huge owl lover and have been for years! The collection in my house is cray zay and everyone I know buys me owl stuff when they go places. I want to make those sandals, I actually have TWO of those necklaces people have bought me exactly like that in silver instead of gold!!! Maybe for next summer though :(

Jassy @ Healthy Egg September 11, 2011 at 7:59 am

unique design, most people like flowers, butterflies, owl is different :)

Kelsey September 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm

today I saw an owl cookie jar at a thrift store — complete with real feathers — not so cute.