swiss days + lazy nights.

by Janetha on September 4, 2011

in eating out,family time,love life

it’s pretty rare that i sacrifice a weekend day and wake up at 7 AM. and yes, AM is REALLY EARLY for me. that’s even earlier than i wake up most week days! however, i had a special date with a certain momma b!

every year, there is a festival called swiss days up in midway, a town east of salt lake city.

there are lots of events like live music, a race, a parade… and over 180 vendor booths. yeah, what do you think we went for?

yep, the booths!

we tracked down my sister, suni, who was working a booth at the festival.

it was craft OVERLOAD today. with that many booths, you can imagine how many photos i have. i will try to whittle it down and show you a few highlights that caught my eye.

these carved metal welcom signs were cute..

i spy a randy dog!

cute garden markers.. too bad i don’t have a garden.

silverware jewelry—forks and spoons shaped into bracelets, necklace pendants and rings!

IMG_3274IMG_3276IMG_3275

i spotted a giant swissy! penny, my little pup, is actually half entlebucher. the entlebucher is the smallest of all the swiss mountain dogs. she is also half cavalier, but i like to call her a mini swissy Winking smile

halloween collars galore! so cute and so unnecessary.

owl cutting board!

there was a booth of incredible artwork made from pressed leaves and flowers.

i I loved the art so much that i actually made a purchase! i got in trouble for snapping photos in the booth.  i am not sure what they were afraid of.. if they thought i was going to steal their idea, go pick a field full of flowers and make my own artwork, they were dead wrong. but i did snag a couple before getting in trouble. i will take a photo of my artwork soon to show you guys.

IMG_3309IMG_3313

more cutting boards and awesome rolling pins! i almost bought a rolling pin, but they were expensive and my wine bottle is working out just fine.

IMG_3318IMG_3319

this dip platter was awesome!

random dog made of junk metal.

okay, there were SO MANY BOOTHS dedicated to baby things! clothes, bows, bibs, blankets.. ugh, baby central! i was actually able to pass by 37% of the booths because they contained items solely for children.  (i was able to pass by another 16.8% of the booths that were dedicated solely to gaudy jewelry.)

THIS is an idea i loved! a small glass vase attached to a rustic looking board that holds real flowers! genius. i am thinking a DIY project needs to happen. i think it’s easy enough for me to handle…

IMG_3328IMG_3330

great quote.

we passed by an adorable bakery booth called crumbles.  cute name, right?

crumbles is based in spokane and came all the way down to utah for the festival. not only did her baked goods catch my eye, but the way she labeled the treats. SCRABBLE LETTERS!

IMG_3348IMG_3353

i will take a snickerdoodle for 21 points, please and thanks.

after we were craft-boothed out, we headed to fanny’s grill for lunch. we both got delicious salads.

i got the cobb and momma b got the shrimp, salmon and avocado salad.

IMG_3392IMG_3391

after lunch, we headed over to the dairy!

this was so cool—we got to watch them bottle raw milk right in front of our eyes!

IMG_3404IMG_3402

i have personally never tried raw milk (which means it is not pasteurized) but my mom said that marshall would LOVE it since he loves whole milk, so i bought a bottle.

um, yeah, i had to sign a wavier to buy the raw milk! kind of strange!

there were SO many kinds of cheese! the oddest one that caught my eye:

just as we were walking out the door, my mom happened to mention that their ice cream was supposed to be the “best in utah”—uhhh, what? no brainer!

vanilla for moi..

chocolate for momma b..

we have a lot of similarities, but i will always be a vanilla girl and she’s chocolate through and through!

we hit a mean streak of traffic on the way home—it took us longer to get out of midway than it took us to walk through all those booths! irritating, but at least i was in good company.

i came home and CRASHED. i passed out on the couch for four hours, woke up and had no idea what day or time it was. i was all sorts of disoriented.

now i am lounging.. which explains the second half of my post title. i have no intentions to get off the couch tonight. that’s what weekends are for, right?

hope you are all enjoying your weekend! check ya later skaters.

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife September 4, 2011 at 12:41 am

Oooh love the scrabble tiles! I’ve seen scrabble tiles used as push pins before and I made an old set into fridge magnets once. So funky and fun! Enjoy your long weekend!

momma b. September 4, 2011 at 1:22 am

Great date! What no spidey photo?!
p.s. stick to Nielsen’s ……galaxy is no bueno ugh!
xo

@hilaryfleming September 4, 2011 at 2:04 am

I am homesick now. I love swiss days! (I lived in Utah for 10 years). It’s such a pretty time of year up there in midway. I’m always impressed w all the artsy stuff Utah pulls off. Your pics were great and your mom is so pretty!

Eleah September 4, 2011 at 2:08 am

Raw milk is illegal to sell over here in Oregon. I guess it’s really easy to make sickening raw milk if the farmers aren’t careful.

Bonnie September 4, 2011 at 2:50 am

What an incredible day, Janetha! …def worth waking up early for. ;) I love, love, love booths & jewlery & art! Been looking for a spoon ring for ages since I lost mine…they’re simple but beautiful & so unique! We take off for our sailing trip tomorrow (here & using my phone tonight) but I had to check and comment. Also, you look extra-beautiful in the photo at lunch! Your mom seems so fun too. :D Glad you guys shated sucha gereat day together! Catch ya later friend. :)

lindsay September 4, 2011 at 6:36 am

oh I have a spoon ring! I should send you mine.

Mac September 4, 2011 at 3:08 am

I love spoon and fork jewelry, especially the forks! Looks like a fun day!

cathy September 4, 2011 at 5:52 am

fabulous photos, j! your mom just looks so happy ~ bet she is loving time spent with you! what a lot of neat crafts etc – and that scrabble tile idea is so creative. love it! wonderful that you had such a nice day with your mom (sorry about the traffic woes!).
raw milk – there’s been an on-going news story/legal battle here in ontario for a few years involving a farmer selling raw milk…quite the debate!
enjoy your sunday!

Elisabeth September 4, 2011 at 6:37 am

So jealous that you can buy raw milk. It’s illegal here. Swiss days looks like fun!

lindsay September 4, 2011 at 6:39 am

we have to get ours through a local farmer who can’t sell in stores. Such a shame I know.

Elisabeth September 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

I actually just found out about a local cow share on Friday that I might be able to join. Hoping it works out!

lindsay September 4, 2011 at 6:48 am

oh awesome! thats kinda what we do too. Hope you get to enjoy some soon!!

lindsay September 4, 2011 at 6:38 am

oh raw milk is amazing! we have ordered it from a local farmer out here. Its creamy, delicious, and perfect for cereal addicts. I wish it was more available!

great day indeed. The sun in Utah looks so bright and cheerful. Maybe thats why there’s so many blondes. teehee.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

We learned in school that raw milk is actually the healthiest for you because it contains ALL the good vitamins and helpful bacteria of milk without any hormones! Hopefully Marshall enjoys it!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

Raw milk, if one drinks milk, is the way to drink it. It’s like the egg white/egg yolk argument that one should not separate the two and “cherry pick” one or the other. They are meant to be consumed in conjunction. Same as milk. By pasteurizing milk, you’re killing bacteria, etc but you are also killing the enzymes which are great for digestion and you’re killing the good flora, the good living things in the milk, too.

As a lactation educator, I could spout off trivia about human milk, cow’s milk, goat milk, living vs dead milk, pasteurized or not, etc etc..I find it fascinating..which is just one reason I became a lactation educator.

Keep us posted how you like it!

Erica September 4, 2011 at 8:09 am

What a fun day! Both lunch salads sound great! And you know i would have gone vanilla on the ice cream too. Enjoy your sunday

MelissaNibbles September 4, 2011 at 8:13 am

Looking forward to your thoughts on the raw milk. My aunt has been drinking it for forever. She’s a hippie/crunchy lady and a big weirdo so I’m more interested in your opinion over hers ;)

katie September 4, 2011 at 8:20 am

Well Momma B is definitely worth waking up that early for! She is so sweet! Love the pic of her and your sis : )

So much I loved as I was going through this post, the little knit hats for kids were so cute, the big pic with the quote, ( love that quote ) and I love the bakery with the scrabble theme, how cool!

Glad you girls had a great day, great days end in ice cream ; ) yum!

love you! Happy Holiday weekend to you guys!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

Since PP already said it, I won’t reiterate how awesome raw milk is..but it is!
And don’t just pass by those kiddy booths – keep an eye out for owl things for Clara! ;)

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie September 4, 2011 at 9:11 am

Those are the things I miss about Utah! It seems I can never time a trip right, to be able to attend a great festival :( I’m glad you took so many pictures so I could live vicariously through you! I had a cousin that had a quilting booth this year at Swiss Days. Looks like you’re having a fun weekend!

Allison September 4, 2011 at 9:22 am

Aw, looks like such a fun day! There’s an arts festival coming into town in a couple of weeks that I’m planning to attend- I hope it has some cute booths like the ones at the Swiss festival! I love all of the eclectic, homemade things that you couldn’t find otherwise :)

P.S. I printed out that happiness quote and hung it in my classroom :D

PBJenny September 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

ahhh! I thought momma b was in a wheel chair in that first picture. I was about to freak!

For some reason the thought of “raw milk” kind of irks me out a little bit. Not sure why. You’d think overly processed milk would be more bothersome, right? I guess I’m just not a naturalist.

Anne September 4, 2011 at 11:02 am

I don’t usually comment, but I felt I had no other option. I currently live in Spokane, and my family has a mountain house in Midway where we all meet up for family vacations. So pretty much, I consider that i received 2 shoutouts in one post! Pretty rad way to start my Sunday…

Glad you enjoyed Swiss Days!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy September 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

I’m pretty sure I need that framed owl photo made of leaves.
Who is that creative?? Love it.

Naomi September 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

raw milk?! I wonder what that tastes like and I wonder why you have to sign a waiver LOL…I love going to loca dairies…the ice cream there is always UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

that festival looks so fun!! You and your sister are beautiful :) (and momma B!)

The Teenage Taste September 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

That must be one of the biggest craft shows ever! I cannot believe the wide variety of things they had to offer! Amazing! :-)

Biz September 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

What a great way to spend the day with your Momma! And I agree, typically 1/4 of the booths at events like that are crappy jewelry!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 4, 2011 at 11:32 am

That scrabble tile idea is genius! So many booths… So much fun! You were one early riser girl :)

Ali Mc September 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

looks like a really fun day….I am a vanilla kinda girl too. my mom is a chocoholic :D

YOU forgot to tell everyone you did a guest post for me silly!! now everyone is missing out on your “better breakfast” ;)

Nicole C September 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I think it’s so cool you get to do so many fun things with your momma. Seems like there is always something going on in Utah, makes me jealous! My Mom is in San Diego and I’m sure she’d love to go out and do these things with me if she lived closer. Here’s to a cup of ice cream to end the day! :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence September 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Love the scrabble letters!

Pure2raw Twins September 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm

so many great finds! your momma is so beautiful just like you!!! and we have had raw goat milk before, it was good. we are those people that believe in the healthy benefits of raw milk, I know it is a huge controversial topic in the health world but it is something I believe in. ;) and love that quote so very true!!!

julie September 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm

you look GORGEOUS in that picture. i just needed to tell you that haha

dana @ my little celebration September 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

What a blast. It looks like you and your mom have such a great relationship. What a blessing that is : )

Ash September 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I just wanted to say that I think that is one of the prettiest pictures of you EVER (you’re sitting at the table).

Same goes for your mom’s photo below. Idk why…but they’re just strikingly pretty to me.

Julia September 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Those fun shaped cutting boards are awesome!
I hope you’ll let us know what Marshall thinks of the raw milk. I have some friends here that drink it and swear by it.
You and Momma B are gorgeous!

Heather Yourex September 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm

What a fun day! I loved the rolling pins too! Some people are so talented

Jessica @ rerunrunning September 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I love the silverware jewelry and those garden markers! You are an amazing photographer!

Kiah September 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Too funny! One of my very first blog posts was when we were living in UT for the summer, and my east-coast self was completely spellbound by the parades. They were crazy! Firetrucks throwing candy, pageants upon pageants…it was definitely a (fun) cultural experience :-)

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

how random!

BroccoliHut September 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm

OMG You, your mom, and your sister all look so much alike!
Looks like you had a pretty awesome weekend:)

Kellie September 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm

L.O.V.E. that rocker your mom is sitting in. So cool!

Meg September 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Oh what fun! I think my favorite photo was the sock monkey hats. I LOVE sock monkeys.

Barbara September 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm

This comment is totally out of context, but I have to tell you, your family is so beautiful Janetha! That picture of you with the Cobb salad looks like something out of a magazine! That tank-top is adorable! You honestly look like a super model in it! Momma B is beautiful, as always, and your sister is so pretty! looks like you had a spectacular day!!!
Barbara

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice September 4, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Janetha, I loved this day! I love all the crafts – my favourite would be those little knitted toques, aw!

Ok….also! You and your sister look so much alike. Wowza.

Amanda September 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am catching up on blogs today. (As you can probably tell by the mass of comments I am leaving)

I keep forgetting to send you a picture of some of the dogs we saw in Switzerland! They were Penny twins.

Crumbles is what I’m naming my favorite dog son.

Sanna September 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Greetings from Finland! Just had to stop by and leave this comment after viewing your photos. It’s not often that I can spot some Finnish language while reading blogs in English. What caught my eye was the type of cheese you found (the maple brown sugar kind). It says also ‘juustoleipä’ – which is a traditional Finnish cheese from Lappland (the Northern part of Finland). It’s not that good if you ask me- I think it tastes more like rubber than cheese. But I guess that’s why they’ve added maple brown sugar (which we don’t use over here). Just let me know if you want to taste the real thing, I’ll send you some over.

janetha September 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

i actually tried it fried! i liked it, haha. it was a sun dried tomato flavor and it was a little rubbery i guess. thanks for commenting! so cool you live in finland! i have been to norway and loved it.

Amanda September 6, 2011 at 3:55 am

Ugh… 7am is ungodly early to me too!

janetha September 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

so glad you can relate!

Nicole September 5, 2016 at 11:20 am

Anyone know who was selling the fancy rolling pins? Still kicking myself for not buying one.