sunday funday.

by Janetha on September 4, 2011

in eating out,fun with friends,love life

this morning marshall and i woke up bright and early (at 9:37 AM) and headed to breakfast at a new-to-us restaurant!

the copper onion has been around for quite some time, but we have never managed to try it.  my new rule/goal is to eat somewhere new every time i eat out from now on. there are so many places to try, i don’t see why we always go to the same ol’ same ol’—ya know?

anyway, my old roomie drew was behind the burner, which is always a good sign. if you are a longtime reader, you know about drew and what a great chef he is!

we sat down and ordered coffee.. french press! i like their style.

soon after ordering, a giant cinnamon roll came to our table—compliments of the chef.

this was no ordinary cinnamon roll. it was filled with plump red and golden raisins and topped with a sweet vanilla bean goat cheese icing. umm—yeah, it was as good as it sounds.

marshall ordered the pulled pork huevos rancheros. the ranchero sauce was out of this world.. incredibly flavorful and had just the right amount of kick. the crisped corn tortillas added a great crunchy contrast to the over-medium eggs. fresh cilantro and cracked black pepper finished off the dish perfectly.

i ordered the mushroom scramble. i have to order mushroom anything and everything since i don’t cook with them at home! (marshall haaates ‘shrooms.) the scramble had scallions and whole cloves of roasted garlic. i love the sweet-but-savory punch that roasted garlic packs! the scramble came with wheat toast.

thanks copper onion (and drew!) for the spectacular meal.

we ran a few errands and did some chores around the house, then headed back to salt lake—all the way to snowbird ski resort for oktoberfest!

oktoberfest is a utah tradition. it runs from the end of august to the beginning of october and i always make sure to go at least once each year. oktoberfest isn’t just for beer drinkers. there is live music, various vendor booths, authentic german fare and tons of people watching.

all the summertime activities at snowbird are open, so we took advantage of the peruvian chair lift today and took a nice, scenic ride up the mountain.

IMG_3439IMG_3440IMG_3444

going up!

utah is beeeeautiful. that’s for sure.

IMG_3468IMG_3453IMG_3456

once we made it to the top, we walked through the tunnel—a man made hole through the mountain. i have been through the tunnel while snowboarding in the winter, but never during the summer months. it was fun to wander through!

IMG_3477IMG_3478IMG_3480IMG_3475

the light at the end of the tunnel…

beautiful wildflowers!

self timer group shot.

i told marshall to act in love for the photo op.

total lovers.

time to go back down the mountain. i am used to going UP the ski lift and then snowboarding down–i never ride the ski lift down. it was really steep and actually kinda scary when looking down! and i am not even afraid of heights.

IMG_3546IMG_3525IMG_3543IMG_3514

it was fun to ride the lift with marshall. he doesn’t like to ski or snowboard, so i can’t get him to the resorts in the winter.. but the summer is another story!

once we were back down, we called it a day and headed home to make dinner.

1. what did you do with your sunday?

2. are you afraid of heights?

Missy September 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Those pictures are even more beautiful on the blog than the Iphonevia Instagram (bigger IS better!). That scenery is absolutely gorgeous. I could almost smell the crisp clean air. (We are in horrid humidity/rain thanks to TS Lee).
I didn’t do much today- went to church, cleaned a litte, made Wal-Mart and Big Lots trips, and waited to watch Nascar but it got rained out. So now I look forward to Tuesday’s race and then Thursday is NFL (finally!) Saints vs Packers!!!
Yes, I am scared of heights. I didn’t used to be, but I am now.

Loved the muffin recipe – now you just gotta make the peach french toast ;)

Amy September 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Today was my birthday…so I went out to lunch and then the flea market with my sister and a couple of friends. Flea market turned out to be a total bust, so I did some shopping with my sister, and then we went to dinner and played games with my parents. It was a fun, relaxing day, and the weather was amazing!

I am terrified of heights…especially when there is nothing below me. Never been on a plane, but have a ticket in October!

Those peach muffins look amazing. Definitely have to head to TJ’s for some almond meal!

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

happy birthday!

Cheri Z September 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Loved your photos! I lived in Utah for three years and miss those beautiful mountains!
Today I indulged in a great nap and phone calls with friends. Regarding heights, I never was until I started taking thyroid medicine. Suddenly I find myself suffering from vertigo. Weird!

Nicole C September 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Let’s see today included: breakfast a la mothers best cereal, renewing gym membership, having a sprinkler I was attempting to fix explode in my face, giving Kronus a bath aka fighting a bull, smashburger, dairy queen and now..my couch!

Im not typically afraid of heights but the gondola ride in Banff made me a wee bit nervous.

J September 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Looked like a beautiful day … what did I do with my Sunday? I went to Barnes & Noble and worked with my daughter in her college essays … then came back home and made a delicious dinner ! :)

Both were rewarding:
#1. She is getting closer and closer to finishing her college applications. (That can only mean less stress for me :) as she is having a hard time with it all)
#2. Was just plain yummy.

Happy end of Sunday!

Juliette September 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

SB & Alta are a 2nd home to me & my husband. Hey we should totally hit the slopes this winter:)

Today was suposed to be a hiking day, but I bailed on my husband and did a bunch of wife duties instead- haha (by wife duties I mean baking yummy desserts and cooking casseroles – not that you need to be a wife to do that, I was just feeling the cooking thing today:)

And I used to have a semi-fear of heights until I went skydiving. Fear no more, that changed my life for the good.

Julia September 5, 2011 at 12:04 am

My Sunday was pretty uneventful – I worked out in the morning, watched lots of Netflix and worked on some other things.
And I’m not really afraid of heights, but some situations do freak me out a little, like high bridges…really bridges in general. I don’t get afraid when I’m rock climbing at all though, even though I’ve been over 100 feet in the air…I’m an odd ball.
Looks like you had a great Sunday Funday!

Kathleen September 5, 2011 at 12:36 am

Mmmmm sometimes its pretty good to look at blogs when hungry, those dishes look absolutely delicious. I’ve got my eye on that vanilla bean icing…

Love that shot of your feet hanging in the air over the valley.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 5, 2011 at 12:38 am

Utah looks so pretty! That cinnamon roll… Goat cheese icing?! Holy cow… Errrr I mean holy goat that sounds good!

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

hahaha holy goat!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 5, 2011 at 12:44 am

Janetha this post is amazing…the pics are spectacular!

What I did with my Sunday PALES in comparison to what you did, trust me. It was pretty…lame, actually! In a good way, but ya know.

a sweet vanilla bean goat cheese icing = Mail me some!! I’ll pay a ridic price. That sounds…so.freaking.good. omg!!!!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com September 5, 2011 at 12:49 am

1. Your shirt is adorable on you!
2. He doesn’t like mushrooms or skiing/boarding….NOOOO
3. I want to go to Oktoberfest so bad.
4. I am craving a cinnamon roll right now SO bad!!

Definitely not afraid of heights!

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

you have to go! it runs this whole month. you’d love it.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama September 5, 2011 at 1:58 am

Love all your pictures. I pretty much want ot crawl into my computer and eat that cinamon roll. Ha! And YES- I’m terrified of heights. I went ziplining one in Puerta Vallarta and am not ashamed to admit that I peed my pants (juts a little). ha ha ha! :) Happy Labor Day tomorrow!

Andrea@WellnessNotes September 5, 2011 at 2:09 am

Love the mountain pics!!! Soooo beautiful! I’m usually not afraid of heights, but there were moments when I hiked in the alps in the summer, when I had to force myself not to look down…

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish September 5, 2011 at 3:10 am

Oh yes, Utah certainly IS beautiful! Your gorgeous photos are making my miss the Rocky Mountains like crazy.

I remember going to Snowbird when I was young, and riding down the mountain on a slide! I think I sat on a “vehicle” that had been attached to a cement path…Am I making this up?! I believe I was only five-years-old, so it could definitely be a figment of my childhood imagination. :-p BUT, if the slide does in fact exist, and is still there, I would LOVE to ride it again. I remember having the time of my life on that thing. Ha

Your breakfast at Copper Onion looks to-die-for delicious. Sweet goat cheese icing? Rawr! I’d be all over that!

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

haha yeah it’s the alpine slide. you are not making it up! it’s kinda like a bobsled. it’s fun!

Lauren September 5, 2011 at 6:00 am

The Copper Onion – first, what a cute name. Lately, I am loving these restaurants that color a vegetable. In CA, we ate at a place called The Red Grape and my friend and I recently tried a little cafe called The Golden Banana. It is now my dream to open up my own bistro and call it The Green Tomato.

cathy September 5, 2011 at 6:02 am

janetha, you would love oktoberfest up here – it’s not til october (!) but is the largest in north america – see waterloo, ontario (unfortunately, i know that you cannot enter canada…so i am glad you got to YOUR oktoberfest today!!).
gorgeous photos – i would love to hike/run in those mountains.
i AM scared of heights at first – once i get settled, i’m ok.
sunday was filled with cleaning! labour day = new year to me, so i like things sparkling to start off the new season!

Erica September 5, 2011 at 6:03 am

Oh my gish that cinnamon roll! Goat cheese icing?! Amazing. Andutah us totally gorgeous

emily September 5, 2011 at 7:22 am

Gah, goat cheese icing?!?! And adding raisins sounds even better than traditional rolls!

1. I spent Sunday visiting my grandpa in the hospital.
2. I actually love heights, but I’m careful around them because I am afraid of dying; does that make sense?

sofia September 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

what beautiful photos!! snowbird is next on my must-ski list (i think that’s the only resort we didn’t go to! or one of ’em).

i spent sunday relaxing, running errands, getting brunch and later dinner with friends. and of course ice cream. that was a big part of sunday, too. can’t forget that!

Sierra September 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

Same story in my household…my husband cannot stand mushrooms, so they are forbidden.

I love that new rule you adopted about eating out. New places are always worth exploring, especially with breakfast. I love seeing new interesting menu options for the AM.

Susan September 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

“my new rule/goal is to eat somewhere new every time i eat out from now on”

That is my rule!! I don’t like going to the same place twice if I can help it. I also don’t like ordering the same thing twice. There is just too much good food, and so little time to try it all. Especially when it involves that cinnamon bun up there.

Abby September 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

I totally remembered that Marshall doesn’t like mushrooms, but every time I read that, a little piece of my heart still dies a little. I love the fungus…so sad.

Anyway, fun day! I took one of those ski lift rides when I was in Tennessee and the guy behind me was freaking out, first because he couldn’t figure out how to get on the damn thing and then because it was so high up. Ummm…did you not see what you were going to be doing or the big mountain directly in front of you? Good lord…

sarah September 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

Beautiful pictures of your trip! That cinnamon roll looks to die for.
I’m not scared of heights thanks to lots of traveling from a young age, but my brother is deathly scared!

Corey @ Learning Patience September 5, 2011 at 9:12 am

Cool tunnel – would love to snowboard through it… Not afraid of heights so much – just sometimes I get afraid of falling off the chair lift….because I’m super clumsy!

xoxo from Trinidad

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

The Copper Onion sounds like a winner! Any restaurant that gives me a free cinnamon roll is good in my book. ;-)

Ali Mc September 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

i’m envious of all those beautiful pics :) thanks again for giving me that sweet and healthy recipe :D I’ll let you know if I try it!

fittingbackin September 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

Beautiful pictures! I would love to make it over that way without snow and see how different it looks! Very cool that you can still use the ski lifts – I honestly never really thought about it! I hope we go back to UT this winter – not sure where we’re skiing yet!

Courtney September 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

Looks like a beautiful day :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 5, 2011 at 10:53 am

Wow your pictures are incredibly impressive! That cinnamon role… umm yeah, give me some of that :)Wow your pictures are incredibly impressive! That cinnamon role… umm yeah, give me some of that :)!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 5, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love the new eating out rule – I’m such a creature of habit though and order the SAME THING EVERYTIME I go out to particular restaurants.
Looking at your pics makes me miss Colorado so so bad. :(

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy September 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

What a gorgeous view!
Also I just have to say that Marshall looks almost identical to a boy I dated many years ago, and every time I see a picture of him it sort of startles me! But that being said, he is quite the hottie, so I don’t mean “startles” in a bad way ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

What is it with men not loving on the mushrooms? I have the same issue with Peter. LOL

And I think you need to find a way to get that cinnamon roll to my house. Purty please! :)

Danielle C. September 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

OMG that cinnamon roll looks AMAZING. I will be in SLC at the end of the month, I know where we are going to brunch now!!! Any more suggestions? Staying right downtown (possibly going out to Park City for a day).

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm

let me know what type of food are you after and i will tell you ANYTHING you need to know!

Amanda September 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I cant’t find a job in CA so I might as well move to Utah, right? Right. I thought so too. It looks so beautiful. Andy was supposed to go to grad school there and sometimes I wish he had!

Oktoberfest! We have a big celebration out in L.A. that we’ll go to. I’ll be the designated sober friend this year. Ours isn’t nearly as cool looking as yours though. No scenic rides up mountains.

We celebrated my mom’s bday and weight lifted on Sunday. LAZY!

I am terrified of heights. Terrified!

Jess@atasteofconfidence September 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am TERRIFIED of heights. I was just in Salt Lake and Park City a few weeks ago and loved it, though!

Pure2raw twins September 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

i remember seeing some of this pics….so beautiful, and so jealous you have places like this around you. Another reason I need to move out west.

Toronto Girl West September 5, 2011 at 10:17 pm

First of all – Utah looks gorgeous!!!!

And second of all – you go through that tunnel while boarding? I’m sure it’s all trippy and super cool but my chicken self thinks it also looks scary! lol :P

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

it’s actually a track you stand on to traverse to another area of the mountain, so you aren’t actually snowboarding through. just standing on a conveyer belt!

elise September 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

this post just reminded me that you were in my dream last night!!!

for some reason you were on your way home and stopped by my parents house in nor cal (driving through nor cal to get to SLC? who knows). either way, i was home too (again, no clue why i was in nor cal but whatever) and i decided to go skiing. i think an unknown friend offered me their cabin in tahoe and so we decided to go skiing. but for some reason kyle wasnt around so you decided to take his place? so weird.

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

yay i love that! i dream of you often. no, really. im a total creep!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

That breakfast looks so good! Cinnamon rolls with raisins in them are the best! :) I never knew Utah was so beautiful! I need to plan a trip there someday. lol.