seven short stories from the weekend.

by Janetha on August 29, 2011

in eating out,fun with friends,love life

story one.

once upon a time, we canceled our comcast because they are jerks. this left us without internet! i decided to sign up for digis. turns out, digis has bad customer service and they will not help you connect your wireless router to their internet service. because we refuse to pay a $75 router set-up fee to a third party, we are left with no internet at our house.

because of ALL this, i didn’t read blogs or post on my blog all weekend long.

the end.

******************************************************

story two.

once upon a time, in the streets of san francisco on an early morning run, i fell in love with teri from a foodie stays fit. teri is from utah but lives in north carolina. this weekend, she was in town!

we went to lunch at a new-to-me salt lake city restaurant called pago. hello, amazing food.

i ordered the pulled chicken hash (basically like a crab cake but with chicken):

teri ordered the pago risotto (changes daily—this had squash and sausage):

we had a nice chat, i begged her to move to utah, we devoured our delicious food and we both lived happily ever after.

the end.

******************************************************

story three.

once upon a time, on a warm saturday morning, i went to the farmers market with my main squeeze, marshall g.

we drank blue star coffee.

IMG_2834 IMG_2835

i played with my new lens (btw: LOVE IT).

IMG_2882 IMG_2883  IMG_2844

IMG_2861IMG_2862IMG_2866

IMG_2869IMG_2857IMG_2846

we bought noodles, peaches, nectarines, melons, onions, bok choy, dried cherries and the most amazing jam ever.

i now have a new favorite jam.

the end.

******************************************************

story four.

once upon a time, my best friend, kristen, bought a house.

she wanted to make it nice and warm, so she had a house warming party on saturday.

i told her i would bring lots of tasty stuff to share.

i made two bite brownies and two bite chocolate chip cookies.

okay, maybe one bite.

i made roasted garlic sunflower seed hummus and served it with veggies and whole wheat pita bread.

i doubled susan’s recipe and changed it to 10 cloves of roasted garlic.

i made a quinoa salad that had roasted red peppers, cucumbers, artichokes, feta, basil, slivered almonds and a greek yogurt balsamic dressing.

kristen made delicious sangria.

IMG_2938 IMG_2936

we had a blast. the house was TOO warm, so we hung out outside.

marshall drank izze.

i wore my izze shirt. marshall wore his creepy person wearing a wolf hat shirt.

it was a flipping blast.

the end.

******************************************************

story five.

once upon a time i woke up at 12:27 pm on a sunday morning.

that was yesterday.

because i slept in so late, i felt like i had to be productive… so i spent four hours deep cleaning and rearranging things in my kitchen.

the result was glorious. i should sleep in more often.

the end.

******************************************************

story six.

once upon a time marshall made me sunday dinner while i cleaned the bathrooms.

it was a salad. a delicious salad. it had spinach, arugula, romaine, greek yogurt, pico, avocado, grilled mahi, grilled halibut cheek and lime.

it was good.

the end.

******************************************************

story seven.

once upon a time we vacuumed randy.

i held him down, marshall vacuumed.

he hated it. i think he is scarred for life.

the end.

******************************************************

my posting is going to be scarce and my blog reading is going to be nonexistent until we figure out our internet issues. thanks for understanding!

your assignment:

write me your own short story.

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

This post is so cute! Can I tell you how much I am in love with your kitchen? It’s beautiful! :)

natalie (the sweets life) August 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

one time i was too busy to write a short story for janetha. sad.

however, i enjoyed yours :) do you have a recipe for that quinoa salad? it looks amazing!

and you are teri are too cute!

Maggie August 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

once upon a time i was reading blog posts before starting work for the day. i read the story about randy being vacuumed and the mental image made me laugh out loud in my office.

i am pretty sure everyone around me thinks i’m nuts. i don’t care though, it just cracked. me. up. poor randy though. he’ll forgive you, but he’ll never look at the vacuum the same way again.
the end.

Sara August 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

How fun. Once upon a time, Hurricane Irene pounded Virginia and other areas on the East Coast. We were without power and many people still are without power (including my work building!) But we survived, we are grateful and I am praying constantly for people’s patience. The end.

Krista (kristastes) August 30, 2011 at 9:41 am

Once upon a time, Krista shed a tear because Janetha’s internet died and she had nothing to entertain her at work. She then called the stupid a la carte internet company and forced them to set up J’s router for FREE!

Also, my neighbor totally vacuums his lab and it cracks me up. I think stella would flip a sh*t if I pulled those shenanigans on her.

get interwebs soon xo!

Mary August 30, 2011 at 9:57 am

Once upon a time, my husband and I bought each other a dslr and 50 mm lens for our birthdays (his is in September and mine is in October). It made me nervous to spend that much money on ourselves, but I feel a little better about our lens purchase because you seem very pleased with yours (the one we bought is the same one you have), and I know the camera is awesome!

sofia August 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

i love all seven of these stories. what a fun weekend!

my story from this weekend: i made a few cocktails for BT on his birthday, one of which had izze black raspberry (or something soda), ginger, lime and bacardi. and it was fabulous. you’ve got me hooked!

Janetha August 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Nice! It’s sooo good

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Ha – love the story ideas. My story is that the hubs and I cancelled cable because they jacked up the price. We’re kind of against the idea of paying for cable anyway since we don’t like hardly any shows. We went to WalMart (I know I know, don’t hate me) and bought a digital antenna. We now get Fox, ABC, NBC, and I think CBS in HD for free (legally) and a few random crappy local channels. Screw you cable company! Sadly, we still pay out the wazooo for Internet.

Errign August 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Once upon a time I went home for the weekend to watch a best friend get married, which was awesome. The not-awesome part of my short story is when hurricane Irene delayed my flight back to NC and I missed out on hanging out with a cute boy. Pity party ensued.

Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle August 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Your kitchen is my DREAM kitchen, so jealous. I loved all the little stories, especially the one about Randy.

Mara Shorr August 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Once upon a time, I woke up and had every intention on starting my morning by 7:30 a.m. But then I read your blog post, and decided I wanted a clean kitchen too. (I work from home, and therefore, “clean home” and “clean office” are the same.) And so I cleaned my kitchen, but it wasn’t as clean as yours, since, well, it’s Tuesday and I didn’t have four hours. And so I vacuumed, and while I had the vacuum out, I actually looked at our black Lab with the attachment in hand… but then she read my mind and ran.

Janetha August 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hahahah I think this is my favorite short story comment yet!

Mara Shorr August 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

LOL… I’m not sure it’s Sierra’s (said black Lab), but glad you liked it :)

Steph August 30, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I absolutely LOVE the picture in your kitchen!! Is it on a canvas?

Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Best. Storie(s). EVER! I’m not even going to attempt one of my own because I’d never be able to top it!

Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Oh wait! I did live through a hurricane this weekend – does that count?? ;)

ilovefetacheese August 30, 2011 at 3:40 pm

that chicken hash looks awe-some. Your photos are making me want to go to the farmers market right NOW! I love eclectic jams!

Maren August 30, 2011 at 9:03 pm

your pics look AMAZING girl!

Susan August 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Uck. Comcast is my first experience with internet on my own, and they’ve been okay so far. I think it has a lot to do with the local provider/office. Fingers crossed things work out!

Okay, Marshall’s shirt is HELLA creepy. But also kind of awesome.

Once upon a time there was a studious student named Susan, who, instead of working on a presentation she is doing tomorrow, is reading Meals and Moves and loving it.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good thing I look drunk in that picture. :)

Miss you already!

Emily September 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yay-congrats to kristen on the house. That’s so exciting! I have had zero time for blogs lately, either. Of course, I had to catch up on yours first. : ) I would love to hear more about Jamie Eason’s training plan. My short story: Once upon a time I got a new job. Everyone at the new job is super nice and I work my bum off for them. I am only supposed to be part time, but end up working a lot more than that. Every once is a while I get a whole week day off, and I bake. The end. Love you. xoxo

Ashley @ Hop Skip Jump September 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

The dinner Marshall made for you looks AMAZING!