flashback friday: is she done yet?

by Janetha on August 26, 2011

in dogs,love and marriage,travel

OKAY! this is my final tahoe trip recap. promise!

i know i have really dragged these out, but hey.. i’m busy! this one couldn’t go without posting, because it’s all about sunday, july 17.. my one year wedding anniversary! does that mean people will stop asking me, “how’s married life?” <—HATE that question. my answer? “pretty much the same as non-married life but now i have a permanent roommate and a shiny ring.”

we woke up with breakfast on the brain and headed to bert’s cafe—it had great reviews so i was excited to eat there.

it was a real popular place—there was a 45 minute wait! we had the pups with us, so we hung out with them while we waited.

it all worked out, actually, because the wait ended up only being about 20 minutes and we were seated in a cozy booth in the corner that was RIGHT next to our car. the pups could see us through the windshield and probably wondered why they weren’t allowed inside.  the cafe reminded me a lot of the cafes in utah—a mountain town type of feel.

IMG_1198IMG_1202

we ordered and drank our coffee while waiting for our food, gazing into one another’s eyes. aren’t you supposed to act romantic on your anniversary???

IMG_1197 IMG_1192

i went with my FAVORITE thing to order—french toast with over easy eggs. it also came with sausage and bacon. IMG_1207 IMG_1210

marshall ordered the strawberries & cream crepes. he is becoming quite the crepe connoisseur.

after bert’s, we headed to kiva beach which is dog friendly. it was a BEAUTIFUL day. check it out.

IMG_1218 IMG_1223 IMG_1216

the pups LOVED the beach. it was so fun to watch them explore and test the (freezing cold) water.

IMG_1242 IMG_1283 IMG_1255 IMG_1269

all that beaching wore them out, so we settled into the car and took a long drive around the lake.

IMG_1297 IMG_1301 IMG_1291 IMG_1326

potty pit stop!

we hopped out at emerald bay to see some incredible views.

IMG_1309  IMG_1307

we headed back to holly’s place and lounged around a bit before dinner.

IMG_1340 IMG_1342

we loved macduff’s pub SO much the second night we were in tahoe, so we decided to go again. plus, the fact that we could take the dogs with us was a real bonus. it’s not a vacation without penny and randy.

we walked to macduff’s and i had to stop for a photo op with this giant bike. can you blame me?

IMG_1350 IMG_1357

i was in the mood for pizza and macduff’s is actually known for their unique pizzas, so i ordered the gyro pizza.

IMG_1359 IMG_1368 IMG_1369

INCREDIBLE.

marshall ordered the truffled mac & cheese.

also INCREDIBLE! and cheesy.

sorry, beggars, none for you. (we cleaned our plates.)

there was a nip in the air, so we had after-dinner coffee.

randy was mesmerized by the cream in the coffee.

what’s an anniversary dinner without dessert? we originally planned to snag an ice cream cake on the way back to our place, but the table next to us had just devoured some amazing looking bread pudding with vanilla bean ice cream. they were RAVING about it and told us we had to get it. done and done.

ohmygosh it was the best bread pudding i’ve ever eaten in my life! the bread was sizzling, hot out of the pizza oven, and the ice cream was speckled with vanilla bean. my favorite.

after dinner, i couldn’t move.

we woke up super early monday morning to make the long drive back to salt lake city. we said goodbye to holly’s place, the best dog-friendly spot EVER, and hit the road.

he loves his penny pillow.

we made a very necessary stop at trader joe’s-we were there RIGHT when it opened at 8 AM!

IMG_1408 IMG_1411

marshall had to wait in the car while i shopped. why, you ask? randy does this thing when we leave him in the car.. he hops into the driver’s seat and stands on the horn until we come back.

yeah.

it’s great.

anyway—no more photos from the journey home, but right upon walking in the door, randy found the nice, cool tile floor and sprawled out for the remainder of the night.

i felt the same way, randy dog, i felt the same way.

that’s IT! our one year anniversary trip to south lake tahoe has officially been fully recapped.

now, who’s ready for the weekend?

@HilaryFleming @healthgirltv.com August 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Lake Tahoe is pretty sweet, isn’t it? That food looks good, too. As i recall, there are lots of really good restaurants.

Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! August 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Happy Anniversary to you and Marshall–you seem like such a wonderful, happy couple! :) My fiance and I are thinking about going on our honeymoon next summer in Tahoe (we live in San Francisco, so it’s not too far away). Is there any place we absolutely CAN’T miss? I love your recap!

Janetha August 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Well MacDuff’s was so good we went twice! Also, Sprout’s Natural Cafe is something we keep talking about–I wouldn’t miss it. We went there with NO plan of attack and everything we did was fun. You can’t go wrong. I would say that the hike to Echo Lakes was a highlight!

Sweet and Savvy August 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Looks beautiful!! :) And I want to steal that French Toast!

The Healthy Hipster August 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

LOVE the Tahoe pics, way too cute. They make me wanna go adventuring in America, Kerouac style ;)

Elaine August 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Love the picture of Randy on the tile floor. His face says it all :) So precious!

Christin@purplebirdblog August 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

LMAO at your response to the married life question. You crack me UP! :)

Meg August 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Agh! I love that picture of Randy being mesmerized by the cream in the coffee. It seems like something Hunter would do.

p.s. we have almost the exact same tile in our kitchen, and I LOVE it.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Your pictures make me miss out West SO much!! I’m coming to visit soon!! Guest room?

Janetha August 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm

If you don’t mind dog hair and sleeping on the floor, I have TWO guest rooms! (which are basically two places to dump all the clean laundry so I dont have to fold it..)

xo

Hallie August 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Oh I’m the same way with the “how’s married life” question. And I’m less than 2 months in! At first I was like, “oh it’s the same, but now I’m not in wedding planning hell, yay” but honestly, I do feel different, but in such an intangible, unable to describe way and I don’t think most people really care the answer. So now I say “good, mostly the same, but it feels different in a way I can’t really describe” and then the conversation turns to like, the weather, as it should

Janetha August 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm

hahahahaha

exactly.

if you are a newlywed, you can dodge the weather chit chat for at least a year and a half.

i never know what to say. i feel like asking them how single life is…

Jennie (the gf-gf) August 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Aw, Randy is too cute! I can’t have dogs where I live, but I really want a basset hound :-)

Janetha August 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm

oh man. i never thought i wanted one because i am into big dogs that like to fetch (labs, german shepherds, etc)–but marshall got randy when we were just friends and when we started dating i couldn’t imagine NOT having a basset. they are one of a kind!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Graham cracker crust on mac and cheese sounds so interesting! Bahaha. Randy sounds like such a cool dog! Love that he knows how to honk the horn! :)

B August 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is friggin’ hilarious about Randy on the horn. I love little devil dogs :) They make our lives so fun!

Sara August 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What a nice way to spend your anniversary! :) So my random comment of the day: when I was scrolling down in this post, the first photo of Marshall with the dogs was only half visible, and it looked like he was carrying a cane instead of a dog leash (the one in his right hand). I totally had a “Marshall as an old man” vision for a moment! lol

Janetha August 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

HILARIOUS

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Tahoe is just beautiful and I still can’t believe how FAST this past year went…wow!

Love the 1st shot of the hands, rings, tattoos..it’s a mix of edgy and tender all in one photo. I dig it :)

Stephanie August 26, 2011 at 7:53 pm

My dog used to stand on the horn as well. Our best solution was to put A Club (you know, one of those red car clubs that people used to have before car alarms became popular) on the steering wheel so he couldn’t stand on the horn.

Janetha August 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

this is genius! thank you!

Pure2raw twins August 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm

looked like a perfect anniversary :) never been there, but Lori and Gary did stop there once a road trip they did years ago, I remember saying it was beautiful! and your pictures just made it clear that it is, glad you had a great time

Michelle

Marisa August 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

You must bring the pups to San Diego and we will take them to the dog beach. The water is a little warmer and maybe Penny can use Randy as a surfboard. That pizza looks amazing! My question I get all the time now is how is life with all the kids in school. Pretty much the same chores and errands… only more efficient. (But I do miss my girls all day!)

Katie August 26, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Ahh! So many good things in this post! First, happy anniversary! Secondly, that scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Third, Marshall’s face in the “romantic gaze” picture is too good – did he practice that?! And I love all the doggie pictures. Finally, I hate that “how is married life” question too…ugh. The end.

Emily August 27, 2011 at 1:14 am

HAHA @ lays on the horn. I found that incrediably amusing for some reason.

Looks like the two of you had a ton of fun. & all that food looks yummy!

griselda August 27, 2011 at 1:32 am

Ahem…Hi my name is Griselda and I love your blog. I followed the bread crumbs from Monica @ runeatrepeat.com :) You take beautiful pictures!

cathy August 27, 2011 at 6:01 am

what a great last day of the trip! the best part of writing these recaps is that you now have a record of the “tahoe first anniversary trip” for yourself!
love that almost-last photo of randy sprawled on the floor. “vacations are so tiring!!”
happy weekend, j!

'Dee @ 'Dee's Garret August 27, 2011 at 9:25 am

Beautiful scenery – reminds me of when my husband and I drove through Olympic National Forest in Washington state! Now I am craving a vacation. Well, not like I’m ever NOT craving a vacation …

PS, I love all the puppy pictures. Count me as one reader for whom seeing those adorable little faces will never get old.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 27, 2011 at 9:32 am

The photos of Tahoe are GORGEOUS. Ahhh I love how many wide open spaces there are in the west!! And bonus- you guys aren’t worrying about a hurricane this weekend…

Nathalie August 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Loved every one of your Tahoe trip recaps! Gorgeous photos and I love the dog-friendlyness of the place- how amazing!!! I wish there were more places like Holly’s; I hate it when we can’t bring our pups to wherever, so I usually don’t go either ;-)

Nathalie August 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

…friendliness even…sorry ;-)

Allison August 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful scenery, adorable pups, scrumptious looking food, and time with your hubby- could a girl ask for a better vaca?!

Juliette August 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast. Tahoe is so beautiful.
Wait ago Randy:)

Lee August 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

That is cracking me up about Randy and the car horn. Smart doggie!

Amanda August 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm

People still ask us what it’s like to be married….”um, the same! We lived together before we got married so ultimately it’s not that different. Oh, I have a ring now!” Ha.

Do you get the “when are you two going to have kids?” question yet? We are just starting to. Bah.

I want to go to Lake Tahoe. We are not that far away! Maybe when we finally get our puppy, we can go. I want to stay in a dog-friendly hotel. so sweet.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking August 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh my goodness reading your post has brought back such great memories of Tahoe! We lived in the Sacramento area for several years and Tahoe is just 90 minutes away so we would go there often. It is such a gorgeous place no matter what season you go there. Really enjoyed looking at all of the great pictures you took!

Julia August 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I have loved your Tahoe recaps! I now have a list of places to go next time I’m there.
I took a fun little climbing trip with some girl friends last weekend. We were right at Emerald Bay – so beautiful! I can’t wait to go back.

Sara @ Baking & Biking August 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Congratulations on your one year anniversary :) I looked forward to your flashback friday recaps of tahoe, it looks like a really beautiful place! Also, your dogs are adorable!

Nicole C. August 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I laughed out loud at the Randy on the horn comment, that’s awesome. I bet Kronus would wreck havoc in my FJ if i left him in there for more than 5 minutes.

That sounds like such a nice trip to share with Marshall! Congratulations!

Shannon August 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Don’t you just love Emerald Bay??? It’s one of my favorite photo ops! Your dogs are so adorable! It looks like they had a great time too!

Carla in Sydney August 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm

What an absolutely beautiful spot!! I hope I get to go there one day…..It looks awesome! That makes me laugh so much how Randy stands on the horn….what a smart dog!

Sami August 29, 2011 at 8:50 am

wonderful recap, j (: totally worth the wait. haha.

that cracked me up about what randy does in the car alone. lol. too cute.

xo.

Kristina @ spabettie August 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I love finding places we can bring Basil along too… :) and that’s hilarious about Randy and the horn – Basil has more than once activated my car alarm when I run into a store (like, really fast, picking up a restaurant order or something at the post office…) he hates to be alone in the car :)

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Lovely pics! Now I really want to go to Tahoe!