girls that rock.

by Janetha on August 24, 2011

in moves

something really strange happened today. absolutely, positively, downright weird.

i ran a 10k on the treadmill.

you guys know me. i hate running. i think it sucks.

loud and proud, folks.

you may ask what exactly compelled me to hop on the treadmill and run the longest distance of my life today. yes—it was technically the longest distance of my life since i went 10.02k and my previous longest distance was 10k.

my motivation sprung from a combination of not working out since last thursday and the harsh realization that my 10k mud run obstacle course race thingamajig is now less than a month away. yikes.

i started out with a typical HIIT routine and the first 5k went like this:

• 5 minutes @ 6 mph
  • 1 min @ 6.5 mph
  • 1 min @ 7 mph
  • 1 min @ 7.5 mph
  • 1 min @ 8 mph
  • 1 min @ 8.5 mph
  • repeat above sequence until hitting 5k

i paused the treadmill and filled up my contigo water bottle. i ramped it up to just a 0.5% incline for the second half of my run.

the second half was a little slower. it went something like this:

• 1 min @ 4 mph
  • 1 min @ 6 mph
  • 1 min @ 6.2 mph
  • 1 min @ 6.4 mph
  • 1 min @ 6.6 mph
  • 1 min @ 6.8 mph
  • 1 min @ 7 mph
  • 1 min @ 7.5 mph
  • 1 min @ 8 mph
  • 1 min @ 8.5 mph
  • repeat similar sequence until hitting 10k (total)

so, as you can see, i did have a few slower minutes at 4 mph pace, but for the most part i was jogging or running. the total 10k took 57 minutes.  oh, and i was wearing my vibrams.. so i went from running 5k in them the last time i wore them to running10k today. hope i can walk tomorrow…

not gonna lie, i am pretty dang proud of myself. sure, running sucks, but after the run is over? the feeling is awesome!

i had my girl power playlist blaring in my ears the whole time i was plugging along on the treadmill. okay, okay, i didn’t really make a “girl power playlist”—but i realized that EVERY band on my iPod shuffle at the moment has a girl lead singer!

since the tunes i was listening today played a big part in helping me hit that 10k mark, i thought i would share my favorite bands that have leading ladies.

oh.. and be prepared to read about musicians some of you may not have heard of or listened to. i run to a different tune than the typical treadmiller.

the sounds.

image[source]

this swedish band is by FAR my favorite band to see live. i have a giant girl crush on maja, the lead singer of the sounds. not only does her voice rock, her quads do, too. i have even met her in person, which was basically the best ever. maja’s performance on stage rivals the quality of the music itself.

favorite songs to run to:

metric.

image[source]

this canadian band is fronted by the incredible emily haines. metric rivals minus the bear as my favorite band! i have never had the pleasure to see the band perform live, but they happen to be at the very top of my list of “bands i want to see live.” yes, there is a list. and unless metric decides to tour the states, i won’t be seeing them soon. (i am not allowed into canada.)

favorite songs to run to:

tegan & sara.

image[source]

ah! i have missed their live show any and every time they have toured in utah. mark my words, i WILL see them the next time they are here. tegan & sara are identical twins.. their parents must have been doing something right since they made not one, but TWO amazing artists.  they write all their own music, play their own instruments and sing their own songs. they have been churning albums out since the nineties and are still going strong. yep, quite the duo.

favorite songs to run to:

pretty girls make graves.

image[source]

this band is no longer a band, but the songs that they recorded in the short six years they were together are all fantastic. i usually listen to PGMG while snowboarding, but have recently added some of their tunes to my running rotation and love it!

favorite songs to run to:

tsunami bomb.

image[source]

another great band that is no longer a band. these guys were around from ‘98-‘05 and they made a lot of great music.  it’s funny that the majority of the bands i am listing are mostly men with a strong leading lady for vocals. this band wouldn’t have won my heart if it weren’t for emily whitehurst’s incredible voice.

favorite songs to run to:

*************************************

and that, friends, is the music that got me through my workout today.

you may notice that there is no britney spears, beyonce or lady gaga. yeah–i guess i don’t listen to the typical mainstream music. in fact, whenever i read a playlist post from another blogger, i rarely know the songs they list (aside from the two susans!) but the ladies listed above are all incredibly talented and deserve some recognition.

hope you have had the chance to enjoy one or all of these bands before—and if not, give them a listen. you might find something new that you love!

Q~

who are some of your favorite leading ladies in music land?

Amanda August 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

PRETTY GIRLS MAKE GRAVES. Hello, I love you! This is our emergency is one of my favorites. I like Parade too. Need to check out Metric. Never heard them!

I love Tegan & Sara too. I also like the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah’s, some Rilo Kiley, and Florence and the Machine!

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

i knew there was even one more reason to love you. there always is! you will LOVE metric. check out monster hospital, it’s my fave song of theirs.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

YOU freakin rock girlfriend! that is so amazing! i hear ya…I hate running but once in a while when I DO run I feel so great afterwards. I am a sprinter all the way, sprints anyday but long distance? for the birds haha…the feeling of accomplishment is def what keeps me going! Have you listend to Natalia Kills? LOVE the beats to her music!! also love la roux and sia!

Jillian @ sprinkle massacre August 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

Yay for Janetha running!! It’s not so bad…soooomeetimes! I’ve been a Tegan and Sara fan for a while, love them! Robyn (swedish pop, rememeber “show me love?”) has some new stuff, it’s pretty awesome for running. Otherwise I feel like most of the music I am currently digging is a male or male band.

Heather August 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Canada Rocks!

A big northern “yeehaw” for Canadian bands metric and Tegan and Sara.

Martha August 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I basically second everything everyone is saying BUT you forgot the BEST Metric song: Gimme Sympathy!

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

my favorite song of theirs is monster hospital! although gimme sympathy is good, too. let’s face it: they are all good. have you heard their single from the scott pilgrim movie soundtrack? it’s awesome.

lora August 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm

great job!!! I havent ran that much in months and months ;) I find running to suck now too. I love METRIC tho! Omg listen to this remix, you will love it!

xoxo
Lolo

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

thank you for the remix linkage! checking now.

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Julia August 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Awesome job girl! I think it is great that you can run, but know that it is not your favorite way to exercise. I think its important to enjoy working out.
I’m sure you are going to rock the mud run!

Allison August 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

That’s awesome about your run! I’m always so happy after a workout that surprises me [aka adding weights, increasing my distance, etc.] :D

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie August 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm

For some reason when I do my cardio I have to listen to dance type music like Britney, Gaga, & JLo. But as soon as I leave the gym I can’t listen to them. I have most of the artists you mentioned on my ipod already, and I’ll have to check out the last 2 bands! I love bands with women lead singers! I also listen to Sirius Satellite radio in my car for the Alt-Nation Station. Love me some Alternative music!

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife August 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

yay! you love the sounds! listening to them right now! maja does have awesome quads, now that you point it out.. Do you like the second album, too? It’s a little different than the first but my fav tracks are Ego, Queen of Apology and Night after Night (Bonus Version).

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

yeah i like that album a lot! their third album took some getting used to, but now i really like it too. and their latest one is in my cd player now. love it. i need to get it onto my itunes soon.. i am lazy

debbie@accidentlydelish August 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

ahh pretty girls make graves and tsunami bomb <3 two of my favorites.

and good job on the run!! i hate to run as well which always makes the run that much longer!

Sara August 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm

First of all, CONGRATS on your new distance!! That is really awesome, and even better when it wasn’t planned :)

Re: chick bands (hehe) I first fell in love with L7 back when I was a kid, and that really sold me on the girl rocker thing. I don’t listen to rock music as much these days, but I wanted to add that I love Arcade Fire’s Régine Chassagne. She’s got an amazing voice & is so dang talented!

Megan @ Runners New Groove August 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Totally bangin play list! I absolutely LOVE all of these bands. It’s such shame that not many know about them (but secretly I love it that way).

And way to go on the new distance!

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

i secretly love it that way too haha

Chelsea August 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I am definitely a fan of both metric and Tegan and Sara and in fact i have seen Tegan and Sara preform 3 times. HIGHLY recommend seeing them if you get the chance!! I have also seen Metric live too and while I really enjoy their music the live show put me off quite a bit, they were very impersonal and when some fans threw some flowers on stage for her, Emily threatened to walk off and never come back just because someone threw something on stage. Now i have to go check out the other bands you listed!

Cassy August 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Love all the lady fronted bands up there! I actually love ALL lady fronted bands, especially my first love– NO DOUBT!
I am not so crazy about their current stuff, but their old stuff is what hold my heart. I am an insane No Doubt fan. I have seen them 12 times!!
I dig chick music.

congrats on the 10k in VFFs!!

Christin August 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE No Doubt! I actually ended up on thier documentary VH1 did, because I was in the front row of a concert for their Return Of Saturn tour when they were recording! Good times…

Cassy August 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm

no way! I am on their Hella Good tour documentary DVD because I was in the front at a concert too! So rad!

Christin August 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

that’s awesome!! :)

Ali Mc August 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I LOVE metric (probably b.c I’m canadian) but also b/c Emily Hanes is a musical genius. I too run to metric! I can’t believe that someone that hates running could do 10k on the treadmill. I only did 2 miles today. I feel like you are my new idol! You go girl!

PS: thanks for letting me know your hosting info :D

Christin August 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

CONGRATULATIONS on the 10.02K run!! As a fellow Run-hater (we need to start a club I think, and have annual meetings like the player haters ball from Chappelle’s Show teehee) I am super impressed!

here’s a link to the player hater’s ball sketch, just in case…

THANK YOU for all the great music shoutouts…I am CONSTANTLY looking for new and non mainstream artists to listen to! :)

Janetha August 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

checking this out now! love dave chappelle

Cheryl August 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I never used to be into female singers but lately I’ve really been digging Eisley and Automatic Loveletter.

Kat August 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I am beyond curious as to why you aren’t allowed into Canada…
And congrats on the 10.02K run!

LG August 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for the tip! I just found Bonnie online a few days ago. *sigh* This is making me want to start a blog. :0)

meghan n August 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm

10k in vibrams?! New PDR! YOU are badass.

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza August 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm

NICE JOB on the run! That’s awesome! :)

I’m a big Lady Gaga fan and I am kind of obsessed with her music….plus it’s so fun to run to!!

Renée August 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love Tsunami Bomb! They were the first band I ever saw in concert, when I was 11. I haven’t listened to them in years, thanks for reminding me and bringing back some old memories :D

katie August 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm

10 miles?!!!!

AMAZING!!!!! I might run 10 miles if its running towards the best fro yo EVER!!!

Love u!!

Cameo August 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Congrats on your run! I totally agree, it’s all about how you feel afterward. Thanks for introducing me to new bands. I am bummed Tsunami Bomb is no longer a band, I really liked what I listened to. As for girls who I think rock – I was always a huge Kim Deal fan, and Kim Gordon, and I like Luscious Jackson…I am sort of stuck in the Indie 90’s.

Susan August 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Haha, the two Canadian bands (Metric and Tegan & Sara) are the two on the list that I’ve seen live! Metric plays free shows in Toronto aaallll the time.

Right now I’m ALL about Florence and The Machine. If you’re looking for more good Canadians – The New Pronographers are pretty stellar too.

Oh, and there’s also my sister ;) http://www.myspace.com/janeehrhardt

Pure2raw twins August 25, 2011 at 7:59 am

congrats on the fun! you did great, I do not run much at all, actually think i am averaging a run every 3 months haha, I used to love it, but when I started blogging is when I started to hate it. Felt pressure, but I am glad because I now enjoy other ways to workout ;)

I listen to all types of music, mostly enjoy music that has no words, just got melodies and what not. I also enjoy small bands. I will have to check out these ladies, sounds like something I would like.

Michelle

Alta August 25, 2011 at 10:37 am

You go, girl! I have NEVER run a 10k in my life. 5k, sure, but 10k seems SO long. LOL I need to try it! I did sign up for my first 5k mud run – Sept 17. Woohoo!
Anyway, I agree with you, that girl from the sounds has AMAZING quads. I’ve never heard them though.
My favorite girl singers? Florence + The Machine is a top fav right now, and I also love Flyleaf.

Alta August 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

P.S. A friend that has run these mud runs has told me that it’s not the same as running a 5k (or 10k, in your case), cause you have to stop and do the various obstacle courses. So it’s easier, she said, in the endurance running aspect. So since you can knock out a 10k on the treadmill, and you’re strong, maybe this will be more conquerable than you thought!

lc August 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The Sounds – No One Sleeps When I’m Awake, is my all time favorite workout song, next to, Muse – Hysteria. So cool that you met Maja!

Metric – Black Sheep, is an amazing song to run to aslo, really pumps me up! I have a girl crush on Emily Haines! If you haven’t already check out, Sleigh Bells, the music is awesome to run to!

The Healthy Hipster August 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I totally forgot to comment on this post right when I saw it but I am seriously in heart with all your music choices! I saw the sounds when I was living in Madrid and they tore it up. Plus I love that you’re reppin the Canadian indie artists ;).
Some of my other favourite ladyrock tunes to listen to while I kick it on the treadmill include: The Gossip, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dragonette & The Blow (that last one…the album paper television…uhmmmmazing)

Mara Shorr August 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Welcome home, Janetha! I was born and raised in Philly and love, love, love it. Wish I could have timed the HLS with a trip back home.

My current “go get ’em!” soundtrack includes Florence and the Machine and the Noisettes. Love them :)

Steph August 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

TSUNAMI BOMB! I don’t know anyone outside of my group of friends that listens to them! I love running to Say It If You Mean It, it reminds me of being at one of their shows and just dancing so hard that it hurt in that really good way.

Awesome playlist!